Herb Grinders

CalyxSmokr

Thanks for this review. Anybody else with a Gr8tr have an opinion on the points raised here?
I got it and like the fine plate. I don't care about kief catching or storage but having the coarse grind is nice. It does gum up but not terrible. So it works well enough that I won't replace it but if I had to do it again I would go SLX for easier clean and easy 3 part design which is all I want.
You can't expect the fine screen to let anything fall through the holes. I just grind it and treat it like a 2 piece and then poke it out with a vape tool. Some goes through the fine plate but not all. A little more trouble but not enough to rebuy anything else.
Space Case looks nice but I am not spending that.

CalyxSmokr,
Reactions: Derrrpp

biohacker

Straight up guys just buy a SLX & stop fucking about. It is worth every penny & then some.

I've been debating it for a long time, but that coating is what holds me back...I know it's slick and awesome, but i've seen too many pictures of it coming off, it seems like it's inevitable with time. My ti space case was supposed to withstand scratching/chipping due to the anodizing, but it still did anyways.

biohacker,
Reactions: Derrrpp

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Straight up guys just buy a SLX & stop fucking about. It is worth every penny & then some. Looks like @Shit Snacks is seeing the light :cool:.
I was completely torn on SLX or Space Case, believe me. The clincher for me was hearing that SLX have reduced the height of the side walls in the slide-out tray on newer SLX 2.0s, and this has caused there to be more of a rattle than with earlier releases. Prior to hearing about this seemingly unnecessary change to the tray, I was going with SLX. Now it's Space Case all the way.

gonzorelli777,

Hobbess

Relaxed

I just picked up a Sharpstone V2.0, 2.5 inch, it has raised groves for the fingers to catch to help with unbinding the unit after grinding.

I would like a bigger one, the 2.5 inch is their biggest, but this one does a great job grinding.

sharpstone-v2-sm-cta.jpg

biohacker

Think i'll pickup one of those sharpstones myself....I always that my OG sharpstone from a decade ago produced the most even fine-medium grinds i've seen, the holes in the grinder were the perfect size. Back then I was all about Space Case, but their holes were bigger and the grind was even but quite on the coarse side. 2.5" is perfect.....2.25" or less and my hands get issues.

CaptVapor

I've been looking for a 3 piece grinder or a grinder without a screen/keif collector.

Originally I was looking for a Kannastor but now seeing the suggestions for the SLX. Can you use the SLX without the screen? Looks awesome and would fit my needs perfectly.

There's also the Santa Cruz Shredder but I'm just not vibing on it for some reason :shrug:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Straight up guys just buy a SLX & stop fucking about. It is worth every penny & then some. Looks like @Shit Snacks is seeing the light :cool:.

Haha yeah I mean I saw it before, fortunately I get to try the GR8TR without any investment, but I am definitely very glad I invested in the SLX and it was a great deal since I had an Amazon gift card.

The coating seems fine to me, but I am being careful. You don't need to poke stuff out though so no risk scratching it like that, things wipe right off or you can even blow away any dust in threads or hard to reach spots. Almost the entire load ends up in the tray even when grinding upside down. I can do course, I can do fine, I can do medium all evenly, feels like grinding as it should be...

I've been looking for a 3 piece grinder or a grinder without a screen/keif collector.

Originally I was looking for a Kannastor but now seeing the suggestions for the SLX. Can you use the SLX without the screen? Looks awesome and would fit my needs perfectly.

There's also the Santa Cruz Shredder but I'm just not vibing on it for some reason :shrug:

You can remove the sifter in the SLX and it is a three piece. I don't filter kief and don't ever plan to, aside from being short without as much to grip as GR8TR or even SCS three piece, it turns super smooth with great teeth and holes so that doesn't seem to be an issue yet.

Again still early, but SLX is such a winner for me while the GR8TR is pretty disappointing (btw I've gotten my plate screwed tight, it doesn't matter, with herbs in there and turning the wrong way it still unscrews. Definitely don't wanna have to dry my herbs just to grind!)

snackmaster

Noticed this on the Kannastor website just now:

znaR3Qp.png

I knew I'd mentioned the consistency of the GR8TR previously (which I've since found is pretty dependent on density and curing with the fine plate), but the tone seemed a little off - just didn't sound like something I'd say... So I did a little searching and found that it was actually something @Mulehead said that I'd quoted.

Excellent review @snackmaster!

It sure doesn't grind like my cheap LHS grinder, which is my only comparison.
It doesn't seem to grind as much as grate really.
Technique seems to be a little different, no upside down like the snackmaster mentioned, not needed.
It does require more downward pressure, besides the initial push thru buds in traditional grinders, to complete the grating process.
It also seems to take a few more turns to process the material.
Although the turning is easier than traditional grinders.
It is so consistent on the grind! I can't stress this enough.

I have the solid body gr8tr, it has the removable screen for sifting.
The bottom is not as deep as the puck or vape gr8tr bottoms, it's also not as concaved, more like a traditional kief catcher bottom.
Also comes with the coarser plate, which I haven't tried yet.
I also bought the storage puck separate, and with the modular design I can turn it into vape gr8tr.
Simply remove screen "section" with "kief" bottom, and replace them with the storage puck bottom, to make 3 piece or vape gr8tr.
I like the extra storage in the top for nugs.
I like the size and shape of storage puck for on the go.
Plus it came with a guitar pick which you gotta love!

So far, I really dig this grinder, and my MiniVap is loving the grind!

So, more accurately: “It is so consistent on the grind! I can’t stress this enough. - Mulehead on fuckcombustion.com” - Snackmaster on fuckcombustion.com

4eEyHEy.jpg

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Hey again guys!

So I came across this post on GC, a guy questioning the authenticity of his Space Case. His issue is with the teflon/plastic/whatever O-ring separating the two grinding pieces. He said that in a review he'd read, the ring is "built into" the machining of the grinder, meanwhile his grinder, the ring looks like this:

qbiDGQy.jpg

Someone "confirms" later in the thread that this is indeed evidence of fakery...Can anyone offer any further enlightenment my way? :D

gonzorelli777,

snackmaster

Hey again guys!

So I came across this post on GC, a guy questioning the authenticity of his Space Case. His issue is with the teflon/plastic/whatever O-ring separating the two grinding pieces. He said that in a review he'd read, the ring is build into the machining, meanwhile his grinder, the ring looks like this:

qbiDGQy.jpg

Someone "confirms" later in the thread that this is indeed evidence of fakery...Can anyone offer any further enlightenment my way? :D

Mine looks like that and it's legit (bought it from @PuffItUp), so that's probably not a good indicator.

When you say "the ring is build into the machining", do you mean there should be a groove machined into the grind for that ring to rest in? The ring on mine is on there pretty good, but I can't tell if there's a groove or not...

gonzorelli777

Vape virgin
Mine looks like that and it's legit (bought it from @PuffItUp), so that's probably not a good indicator.

When you say "the ring is build into the machining", do you mean there should be a groove machined into the grind for that ring to rest in? The ring on mine is on there pretty good, but I can't tell if there's a groove or not...
I really can't say for sure what he meant man, I used his words and he didn't expand upon it more. It was the other responder saying with such confidence that it wasn't legit that had me wondering if there was something in his claim...tbh this is a bit of a minefield of truth. I cannot believe Space Case don't deal with the public at all, totally nuts!

Puffitup are definitely legit suppliers, I will be buying my SC from them if this Ebay seller turns out to be selling the white font SC (posted above) that I think is super ugly.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm annoyed at Kannastor because they did a 30% off sale on April Fool's day (wtf?) and now for the INTERNATIONAL DAY OF MARIJUANA they're only doing 15%

(which, in all honesty, isn't a huge amount of money but it's the principle of the matter!)

Even more of a fools since none of us were able to find a code for that 30% off either...

Choughed

I ordered a Jar Gr8tr today. FYI, the 30% off KANNA30 code was still active; twice the discount of the 4/20 15%.

That code does work, but with no shipping options for Australia, I can't order from them anyway. Bah, whatever! All I wanted was a spare puck. After using my GR8TR for a few months now, it's still working ok. It's getting harder to clean the gunk from the grinding area these days, and my flowers are a bit too large to not have to pick them out of the middle section every single time. (Home grown, big fluffy buds). It still works, and I really like the curved storage area, but.. I sometimes think about other grinders.. :cool:

CaptVapor

The KANNA30 code worked when I ordered on Monday. I posted about it earlier in this thread.

THANK YOU. Very awesome of ya. Though @Shit Snacks 's review wasn't so winning for the GR8TR

I might still pick one up as well as an SLX, really looking to replace my current one (that is overflowing with kief. Don't have a pollen press, sometimes I add it to a Milaana bowl but then I'm pretty useless :D )

Edit: If anyone has a lead on an SLX 420 sale I'd really appreciate that as well!

od1

THANK YOU. Very awesome of ya. Though @Shit Snacks 's review wasn't so winning for the GR8TR

I might still pick one up as well as an SLX, really looking to replace my current one (that is overflowing with kief. Don't have a pollen press, sometimes I add it to a Milaana bowl but then I'm pretty useless :D )

Edit: If anyone has a lead on an SLX 420 sale I'd really appreciate that as well!

No problem ese. From what I've seen so far, there are differing opinions on the Gr8tr, and also the durability of the SLX's coating, maybe due to a bad batch, and some other small issues, etc. Seems like ultimately it comes down to personal preference, and you have to see what you like. Both companies offer a limited lifetime warranty in the case of manufacturing defects.

Personally, if I'm not happy with the Gr8tr I would like to check out an SLX.

By "current one" are you saying you have an SLX? If so, how do you like it?

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I have to say I was hesitant to recommend the SLX immediately after my issue with the coating. However, my replacement has seen even more use over a longer period of time than the first one, with better and stickier material, and the coating is still holding up well. I feel comfortable recommending it based on the performance of my replacement. The customer service was also top notch.

The only issue I have with the SLX is that it doesn't deal with the ultra sticky 26%+ stuff I get as well as the Ti Space Case does. I prefer the grind quality and feel/design of the SLX, but when it locks up it is frustrating.

These are extreme edge cases though. Many people will probably never have an SLX stick, or at least it will take quite some time. And it's still probably the second best after the Ti Space Case in regards to sticking, as far as my limited reading of reviews of various grinders goes.

The SLX is probably the best as far as kief sticking to the grinder, or as I like to call it "static cling". The Ti Space Case collects a bit of kief in the top two compartments. The SLX collects virtually zero kief anywhere except the bottom kief chamber, and of course the screen itself does get clogged over time just like any other screen. Kief just slides off that coating though, it's kind of beautiful how it doesn't really cling to the top two pieces at all.

If using it as a three piece I would even venture to guess that the SLX will give a bump to the potency of your material as the trichomes will stick to the plant matter instead of your grinder. That's just a hypothesis though, don't quote me on that. Unless I'm right lol... :cool: :lol:

biohacker

Why is there never any love for Mendo Mulcher grinders here? Have my eyes on the large 3" 4 piece. Supposed to be tits!

I think the lower profile of the SLX may not work for me, and the Kannastor is too fine of a grind for my vapes. Hmmmm, wonder if I should try a NON GR8TR Kannastor? I need a coarse but even grind.

Top Bottom