Herb Grinders

abcd5432

I've had to get replacement parts from SLX twice now, due to the coating coming off. This time they were good enough to tell me that can happen from unloading it by slamming it down on a surface, or clicking the teeth together to knock off excess herb. They are replacing it anyway:).

Also, they said if resin builds up, it probably means the herb had too much moisture so dry it out a bit before grinding.
Hmm, since they sent me my fresh one, I haven't had issues with the coating. I was told by them that the coating isn't dangerous even if it flakes off so at least that is ok. That's worrisome that direct replacements from them had the coating come off.
How was your service? I loved mine personally.

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer
Would it work well for me as a 3 piece? Don't do kif.

Here's a really bad picture to help give you an idea how it works as a 3-piece.

The Gold SWII is with the screen removed.
The Rasta SWII is with the middle chamber removed.

xH3BoUC.jpg

mixchu69

Kannastor has 30% OFF till Sunday night!!!

My GR8TR is still THE BEST grinder i have ever used!
Nice fine even grinds every time!
Which gr8tr do u recommend? I see the vape, jar grinder, and solid body. Appreciate the heads up on the sale

lazylathe

Almost there...
Which gr8tr do u recommend? I see the vape, jar grinder, and solid body. Appreciate the heads up on the sale

All depends on your needs!
I have the small one with no screen as I like to use everything I grind up in a session.

So if you like to collect kief go for one with a screen.

I also only use the fine plate as I find it vaporizes very well.

My SCS sits unused and the GR8TR does a much better job imo.

mixchu69

All depends on your needs!
I have the small one with no screen as I like to use everything I grind up in a session.

So if you like to collect kief go for one with a screen.

I also only use the fine plate as I find it vaporizes very well.

My SCS sits unused and the GR8TR does a much better job imo.
Not a kief fan. Currently use the scs 3 piece. So the vape edition is the one u use? Want a finer grind than the scs

biohacker

I don't think one can get a finer grind than the fine plate for GR8TR? Unless you use a "finishing" grinder.

The vape gr8tr is awesome, but would be even better with the top portion of the solid/jar styles that are bigger and easier to use IMO. All described recently.... the perfect grinder IMO.

Not too stoked on hearing more than one report of SLX "flaking". I don't like coatings and such, same with anodized (space case), it all chips and scratches anyways.

My Kannastor looked scratched up from usage, but no coating ever came off.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Not too stoked on hearing more than one report of SLX "flaking". I don't like coatings and such, same with anodized (space case), it all chips and scratches anyways.

My Kannastor looked scratched up from usage, but no coating ever came off.
I had the coating on my first SLX start to wear off after a couple months on my first SLX. I was told it was from a bad batch, and was promptly sent replacement parts.

I've been using the replacement for over 6 months with no issues. I think there probably has been a bad batch or two, but when applied properly the coating seems to be very durable.

My only issue with the SLX at this point is it's handling of very high potency cannabis, over 25% TAC. The coating isn't as effective with this material and it does start to stick, although the SLX still does a better job with it than any grinder I've used besides my black Ti Space Case. The Space Case handles very high potency material better but I prefer the overall design and build quality of the SLX, and the grind it produces is better too.

I think I'm an edge case as far as this is concerned. There's a good chance most SLX users will never encounter this problem and will always have stick free performance. It could also be because I'm using the smaller 2 inch version, the larger version might have subtle differences that reduce this issue.

biohacker

The problem is that I have a tendency to knock the parts together or against a hard surface, and after doing that with my ti space case the anodizing started to get effected and scratch/flake. I fear the same with the SLX as the other member stated the same thing happened to him, although it was warrantied.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
The problem is that I have a tendency to knock the parts together or against a hard surface, and after doing that with my ti space case the anodizing started to get effected and scratch/flake. I fear the same with the SLX as the other member stated the same thing happened to him, although it was warrantied.
Yeah, the SLX might not be the best choice for you in that case. I'm not a huge fan of coatings either but they provide such a big advantage with grinders.

I wonder how much it would cost to build a nice medium size grinder made entirely out of the titanium they use to anodize the Ti Space Cases? I know it would likely cost a lot more but it would be extremely durable and probably worth the price for me in the long run.

whatitdew

Vapes R Great

That's why I went back to the standard Space cases. They gum up a bit faster but overall take abuse better and look better over time IMO. Also the pollen screen on the four pieces are perfect for me.
Since I started using a coarser grind in all my vapes I have stopped fussing so much with the grinding routine.

biohacker

Thanks @Vapor_Eyes I completely agree. For me it's about quality, I wouldn't mind paying a premium.

@whatitdew I hear ya bro, but if you get some GrAS, I would consider the Kannastor! If you wanna fuck grinding in addition to fucking combustion, have a look at the Supreme 3 dude! I see you have a torch already, and they ship outta Cali. You will not regret it.

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Yeah, the SLX might not be the best choice for you in that case. I'm not a huge fan of coatings either but they provide such a big advantage with grinders.

I wonder how much it would cost to build a nice medium size grinder made entirely out of the titanium they use to anodize the Ti Space Cases? I know it would likely cost a lot more but it would be extremely durable and probably worth the price for me in the long run.
A good grinder should last for several years. So paying a little more is fine with me for quality. I dont like too many pieces. I don't like complicated. I do like my SLX and a good company to deal with if any issues arise.

InterplanetaryTanner

Interplanetary Development
Manufacturer

For Production in China costs are roughly:

Zinc grinders cost ~$3.5
Basic Aluminum grinders cost ~$3.5-6
Nicer Aluminum grinders cost ~$8-12
Decked out custom-made Aluminum grinders cost ~$16-19

For a 316 SS grinder, my guess would be that the cost to produce it would be ~$100/unit. (Although, you'd have a really hard time getting someone to manufacturer it...)

My guess for a true, high quality titanium, the cost to produce each unit would be at least $300/unit. If not closer to $500.

Also, my understanding of titanium coated grinders, is that they are not coated in titanium. It's just that the color/finish after anodizing the aluminum is similar to the color of titanium. So while the grinder may be called titanium (making it sound very appealing) what you're really getting aluminum grinder thats similar to the color titanium.

If you carefully read the sales copy on all the different listings of grinders making the titanium claim, you'll see that they are very vague with exactly what their use of titanium is... but they always sneak in something about the finish and how it relates to titanium.

All that said, most grinders (and also aluminum consumer products) are finished with a soft anodizing. But, there's also another anodizing technology, called Hard Anodizing. Hard Anodizing does exactly what it sounds like. Makes aluminum really hard and strong. And while soft anodizing gives you a ton of different color options, hard anodizing leaves you with finishes that are a dark-silverly to black. Typically these colors are named things like gun metal, titanium, etc. (and also black.)

kazz

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Does the SLX grinder use the quarter turn "lug" type threads on it's different parts?

I currently use a Space Case and am satisfied with it other than the fact it has full threading that I have to turn several times to get to the ground up bud. I'd love to find a good grinder that was easier/faster to disassemble.

little maggie

So has anyone tried the super weapon 1s or 2s? I notice the 1s are on sale but not the 2s and not sure the difference. If you've tried it, how does it compare with other grinders?

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Kannastor has 30% OFF till Sunday night!!!

My GR8TR is still THE BEST grinder i have ever used!
Nice fine even grinds every time!

How do you get the discount to appear? Is there a code to put in? Just says 30% site wide, but I go to purchase a vape GR8TR to see price and it seems to be stuck on full price... I guess its supposed to come to like $45 right? Hmmm

Shit Snacks,

mixchu69

How do you get the discount to appear? Is there a code to put in? Just says 30% site wide, but I go to purchase a vape GR8TR to see price and it seems to be stuck on full price... I guess its supposed to come to like $45 right? Hmmm
Just noticed that. When @lazylathe posted the discount, it was priced in for about $45. Ill wait til they resolve or wait til 4/20 sale.

Shit Snacks

Just noticed that. When @lazylathe posted the discount, it was priced in for about $45. Ill wait til they resolve or wait til 4/20 sale.

Yeah I was all set to jump on SLX and then saw this sale, thinking I might get both, but yeah I could definitely wait til 420 too. Could be even cheaper then? Still not sure I even want it

Shit Snacks

No clue as it just says 30% off till tonight.
Are they already discounted?

Nope, everything on the site is still full price and no discount seems to appear once you go through getting ready to hit the pay button... There's space for coupon codes but none given and no landing page, just that Mr T banner lol

Top Bottom