Herb Grinders

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
You see, I thought the same thing when I ordered it. It's actually a Formax 420 from DH gate but it looks identical to the SLX design. Though I haven't gotten a chance to try it out yet.
Wow, even the kneeling at the top is identical. You'll have to let us know how it performs.

Vapor_Eyes,

mikee336

Wow, even the kneeling at the top is identical. You'll have to let us know how it performs.
So far, so good. Passed the paper metal shaving test so I gave it a whirl. I'm impressed @ $13.60 shipped.

dQlmZRBvqGSCn66A46nq2AR6UYaxIB8PLUlzXB8H393fZ5fYiVAN6q71e_jYCxvB-FwuMJUWHbyd5wQY97zKiJVhF3EpC5xmPinla2CYpyQirJE4v3T3vHSvoSa1-NnXpwq76p-RjatfKhyUXObJPfizpf_mkcONZnGsgw62eeIJehl_aSet5cTn_ljYMPA4mkggymQJ6q23dMWI3ZYumFWRByemyTE3VM6sISG5IJSAljdvYxyl0crYZeDkCHVQGXVaiGoLQfYepvZQyEtxeGyAtbil7OVW8d4uWtP_yyoOsGY4wK-BPZcYqg4MZB0F9C_MLLurWQ2qMdNO9uz-HeITGE-iVka1GQdZ_6u7RMgeBQY2b6LRQhNsr-xFpIAwy1fMZHIuB9PdaJMj53iHszTHGrToacm-Qkr3Zbgx2yAGEZZrWzqKD4lo9uxbIzJqqoqLKxM1OgEiC6kr2GhM-B8b0tLcEszxsQZZaluRP6f4-3XiS44kySqR7lCJQIh-RHi7yXXUDe99RgcUeIX5xhSCS3h6XPXQ1nvQbgT9p3mUWiYraWdB7vmgKh-Hr9_d9RNIcMZCd2JU6lDir6_5M2az7_Whu-C_C_wFcH8x3u03-UfWbQ=w974-h730-no

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Well, I resisted posting this until I had a resolution, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be a successful one

All this stems from an initial enquiry with Kannastor support back in January.
It took them until October to replace my grinder only to send another with worse manufacturing defects.

Their warranty states
"All Kannastör® products come with a limited lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects, any malfunctions resulting from poor workmanship, or normal use"

So I informed them that it had some problems and they began by saying it should have been in perfect condition, and:
if there was another manufacturers defect please send over pictures and I will be happy to see what I can do to make the situation right.
So I sent some photos
Pictures 1 and 2 show a couple of the chipped teeth.
Pictures 3, 4 and 5 show the incredibly rough, chipped rim of the top section. Even with the lid screwed on, you can feel these when you run your fingers around the outside
Picture 6 shows the ill fitting plastic ring. This is a minor annoyance. I have tried pressing it down, pushing it into the groove with a fingernail and taking it off and flipping it over, but it still refuses to sit flat.
http://i.imgur.com/1PG2MT3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Kwl7So.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pAxutPl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZnMpDcx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oaCg1Ah.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/239lbFJ.jpg

Then silence for a week
I gave them a nudge asking if the pictures were ok and received a reply thanking me for letting him know :\

Another few days later with no more emails I asked if there had been any verdict on the pictures and was told they would send me another if I paid for shipping... I thought ok, and reluctantly agreed.

After silence for another few days I requested an invoice for the shipping cost.

2 days later they emailed saying I could call them to give my credit card details but still no mention of cost.

I emailed again asking for the cost and was finally told the cost would be $52 by FedEx or $48 by post.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but this seems a bit high for a tiny lightweight grinder.
I send larger parcels around the world for my workplace, and there's no way it should cost that much.

I will not be buying any Kannastor products again if they cannot support them properly.

I'll update if anything changes.

Last edited:

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
That SLX insppired grinder looks a bit of alright for the money @mikee336. I am a big fan of the SLX design & in particular the coating. I just wish they made a 3 piece version. For $15US it would be hard to go wrong.

There is one thing I will never understand with a lot of US based companies @Pyr0. Why the fuck should you be expected to pay one cent for a warranty replacement of that particular nature? You purchased their product in good faith & used it accordingly. The product had multiple failures as evidenced by your photos. What is the issue? Why would you pay for their failure? Why should you pay for their failure?

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
There is one thing I will never understand with a lot of US based companies @Pyr0. Why the fuck should you be expected to pay one cent for a warranty replacement of that particular nature? You purchased their product in good faith & used it accordingly. The product had multiple failures as evidenced by your photos. What is the issue? Why would you pay for their failure? Why should you pay for their failure?
Thanks Stevenski, glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels it's a little off to be asking me for money.

mikee336

That SLX insppired grinder looks a bit of alright for the money @mikee336. I am a big fan of the SLX design & in particular the coating. I just wish they made a 3 piece version. For $15US it would be hard to go wrong.

Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't stumble upon the SLX prior to its non stick coating. I noticed no mention of them actually machining the grinders themselves, unless I missed it?

mikee336,
Reactions: Stevenski

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
Thanks Stevenski, glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels it's a little off to be asking me for money.

Trust me you are not alone there.

@Pyr0 I had very similar issues with kannastor, (volo retail)....

I was told my warranty was void as I live In a country where the gr8tr is not sold....
But my issue got sorted in the end...

That tells me that they do not really stand by their product & that is really unfortunate. I have heard so many positive stories about Kannastor & the GR8TR in particular. I own Kannastor products & have had no issues yet I will never buy another one of their products as I am far more concerned with how a company reacts when things fail rather than when things work.

If things are working then great we never need speak so who cares. It would be different for say an Evo that needs repair after 18 months or something as it has a finite lifespan before a component fails. It is reasonable to pay none, some or all of the freight circumstances depending. This grinder is a machined product that either works or does not.

What are you grinding with now Kel?

Yeah, I'm wondering if I didn't stumble upon the SLX prior to its non stick coating. I noticed no mention of them actually machining the grinders themselves, unless I missed it?

The design & machining of the SLX is good but the real magic is in the coating. Mine has seen heavy use over the last 11 months & is working as well as ever. If they made a 3 piece the same size as the SCS 3 piece with the ceramic coating I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Dramma Lamma

Looks like a job for!

If you have eyes and can pass a vision test, its obvious the SLX has shit level machining going on here.

This is even comparing it to cheap grinders for $8-15 from a local head shop.

I don't care to waste my time to attempt pics of what I'm talking about but yeah there is very very legit reason to believe the SLX is just a re-coated china machined product.

Their near instant willingness to replace pieces should be another point here to consider, especially when comparing that to the other ways people in this thread including myself have been treated by other manufacturers.

That being said, once again if SLX pulls some shit together and seems to make improvements Ill try me a 3.0 when the time comes.

MoltenTiger

This is even comparing it to cheap grinders for $8-15 from a local head shop

Not in my experience...
My SLX isn't flawless, but it's close enough all things considered. There are a couple of tiny marks that were surprising given the cost, but overall it's a tough alloy and the tolerances are reasonable considering extra mass is applied to it.

Compared to my previous $30 grinder, the machining is higher resolution, the cutting tool obviously much smaller, there's twice as many machined faces and I didn't have any remnant shavings to deal with upon receipt.

It's likely outsourced fabrication, but when a computer is doing all the work I don't see how that effects anything.
It's 7k series Al with 55 teeth, if you have pictures of poor production send them to the company?

MoltenTiger,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Personally I find the machining on my SLX even better than my titanium Space Case. The threading especially on the SLX is much smoother, and the pieces seem to fit together with closer tolerances.

The jury is still out on the coating. My first SLX had issues with the coating coming off. The company responded very fast and replaced the parts immediately free of charge, after I sent them pictures of the damage. I didn't have to ship the old parts back so no real loss on my side. I value good customer service so that's a big plus in my book.

I'm keeping an eye on the coating of the replacement and so far so good. Recently I got some extremely sticky cannabis, probably the stickiest and most potent I've ever encountered. Both my Space Case and SLX ground it up without too much effort, but did get a little sticky relatively fast. The Space Case handled it better, it ground it up faster and got less sticky afterwards.

I find kief tends to "cling" to the sides in the top portion of my Ti Space Case. It's like a static effect, it's not stuck to it and brushes off easily. With the SLX the kief slides right off the coating for the most part. The screen seems to be a little more fine in the SLX which I prefer.

I think both are great grinders, I probably prefer the SLX overall but they both have their merits. For the extra sticky stuff I think I favor the Space Case.

MoltenTiger

I think both are great grinders, I probably prefer the SLX overall but they both have their merits. For the extra sticky stuff I think I favor the Space Case.
I think both would be noticeably different in quality to a cheap generic head shop grinder, but I have limited experience being so far from civilisation. I would expect a mendo mulcher to be comparatively better in terms of machining quality, but surely a generic option wouldn't be.

That's interesting to note with the grinder comparison, I think a space case would have sharper teeth and a better tooth shape in that instance. The SLX very much shreds and I find it can stall with a full pack of juicy herb, so I normally just chop less at a time so it shreds easily.
There is a tiny amount of residue in my SLX which I've been using for 10 months, I guess it looks like a normal grinder after a single use. Using dry bud with it collects most of the residue too.

The company responded very fast and replaced the parts immediately free of charge, after I sent them pictures of the damage.

This is interesting to note, my friends SLX he got last year is pretty worn, might inform him on this service

MoltenTiger,

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I think both would be noticeably different in quality to a cheap generic head shop grinder, but I have limited experience being so far from civilisation. I would expect a mendo mulcher to be comparatively better in terms of machining quality, but surely a generic option wouldn't be.

That's interesting to note with the grinder comparison, I think a space case would have sharper teeth and a better tooth shape in that instance. The SLX very much shreds and I find it can stall with a full pack of juicy herb, so I normally just chop less at a time so it shreds easily.
There is a tiny amount of residue in my SLX which I've been using for 10 months, I guess it looks like a normal grinder after a single use. Using dry bud with it collects most of the residue too.

This is interesting to note, my friends SLX he got last year is pretty worn, might inform him on this service
It's worth a try for your friend to contact them. My damage happened after only a couple months of use, which wasn't particularly heavy.

This last strain was the only one I've had trouble with in the SLX, it's called Extreme Cream and it tested at 32% THC. Other top shelf strains have been no issue at all. Even one small bud of the Cream run through the SLX is enough to get it to start sticking. I even let it dry more than usual, to 59% RH and it still causes issues. I have also found running another strain through afterwards eliminates the stickiness.

This is not a big deal, I still think the non-stick coating is amazing. I guess there's worse problems than cannabis that is too potent and sticky. I just thought I'd mention it as it was a good stress test for the respective non-stick coatings, and I was surprised at the results.

snackmaster

That tells me that they do not really stand by their product & that is really unfortunate. I have heard so many positive stories about Kannastor & the GR8TR in particular. I own Kannastor products & have had no issues yet I will never buy another one of their products as I am far more concerned with how a company reacts when things fail rather than when things work.

Kinda like you, my experience with Kannastor products themselves has been great so far, but the accounts of bad customer service I've read here are definitely steering me away from doing any business with them in the future. The couple interactions I've had with their CS haven't even been that bad, but the solutions they offered weren't ideal either.

I bought the vape gr8tr last year and twice now I’ve contacted them about buying additional parts for it. The first time to see if I could get a screened section, and the second for a coarse grinding plate. I should’ve just gotten the complete gr8tr setup from the beginning, but it didn’t seem worthwhile at the time.

Anyway, both times I had to wait at least a week for a reply to be told they couldn’t sell me the parts. Instead they gave me discount codes to buy whole products to get the parts I wanted. I took them up on it the first time, but now I’m not interested in buying another whole grinder just to try the coarse plate. Maybe my expectations are too high, but I think one of the perks of modular systems like that is being able to sell single parts so customers can enhance what they already own.

I might just go back to something simpler like a 4 pc space case. As much as I like some of the gr8tr’s features, the fine grind has been gumming up my nano screens pretty quick.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey y'all,

So I'm back again, still thinking of upgrading my SCS 4piece (which I use as a 3piece). Still tempted by their newer 3piece, but it'd be better for courser grinds I'm sure, so maybe I'll just wait til I really need to replace my current one?

So now I'm thinking of getting the Interplanetary Development SW1 grinder so I can do finer grinds (tend to use medium fine for my favorite vapes, which can be tedious with upside down shredder picking out stuff stuck in the edges) and its pretty damn cheap actually.

Their new SW2 also seems nice (easier loading with fewer teeth, but that may mean courser grind too?) with its one revolution threads especially, but $50 vs $33 for the SW1 so easier closing/opening may not be worth the extra cash considering it may grind courser and I don't care about the better kief screen system since I'll likely be using it as a 3piece like SCS

Also the Lift looks really cool, so more thoughts on that would be much appreciated too @virtualpurple though its probably more than I want to spend unfortunately, but super novel...

Anyway any thoughts on the SW1 re my experience with the SCS? Also open to feedback on SLX and Space Case, Chromium Crushers, Sharpstones, and Mendoza Mulchers if you guys think those could be good options for me as well, though I haven't looked into them much and don't know how pricey they get

Thanks in advance!

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon

That is what I find with mine. The SC does have sharper teeth & if you overpack the SLX it will lock/stall but once you find the optimal pack size I find it near perfect for my needs.

The residue in mine builds up after a week or two of heavy use but then seems to stabilize for the next six months until I clean it. Mine is worn & scuffed/scratched but not in the grinding chamber so I am not concerned. Unless there is a lubricated barrier metal on metal will rub/scuff over time so it is not unexpected to me.

Don't let price sway your decision @Shit Snacks. A quality grinder is an investment you will keep for a long time unless it has a failure. Even if you spent $100 on a grinder & keep it for 3 years that is under $0.10 a day/grind. I have a SLX & love it as it does a perfect medium/fine grind I require but YMMV.

I have seen several people have issues dealing with SCS & Kannastor for warranty issues though. The Lyft/Clipper looks pretty good but may need some more time for people to form solid opinions.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
That is what I find with mine. The SC does have sharper teeth & if you overpack the SLX it will lock/stall but once you find the optimal pack size I find it near perfect for my needs.

The residue in mine builds up after a week or two of heavy use but then seems to stabilize for the next six months until I clean it. Mine is worn & scuffed/scratched but not in the grinding chamber so I am not concerned. Unless there is a lubricated barrier metal on metal will rub/scuff over time so it is not unexpected to me.

Don't let price sway your decision @Shit Snacks. A quality grinder is an investment you will keep for a long time unless it has a failure. Even if you spent $100 on a grinder & keep it for 3 years that is under $0.10 a day/grind. I have a SLX & love it as it does a perfect medium/fine grind I require but YMMV.

I have seen several people have issues dealing with SCS & Kannastor for warranty issues though. The Lyft/Clipper looks pretty good but may need some more time for people to form solid opinions.

Oh its not just price, the Interplanetary dudes' CS seems to be above and beyond for one thing, but specific needs (which for me includes bottom line price frankly, even got my new shredder cheaper via a member here)

Ah Lift used to be Clipper, I think I remember now, yeah waiting on more impressions and time on my end before I would jump in, but that'd be one I'd seriously consider spending more money on like that on since it truly seems one of a kind...I could see owning multiple grinders down the line, especially if they're each cheaper, but different and good would work well for different vapes and herbs

So how much is an SLX at the cheapest best place (that dhgate one doesn't compare I suppose bc of coating?) Do they have 3 pieces and what sizes? Smooth medium fine is the goal so open to any and all suggestions if not for now, but for the future... Oh do you need to turn it upside down at all for your medium fine?

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Well, I resisted posting this until I had a resolution, but it doesn't seem like it's going to be a successful one

All this stems from an initial enquiry with Kannastor support back in January.
It took them until October to replace my grinder only to send another with worse manufacturing defects.

Their warranty states

So I informed them that it had some problems and they began by saying it should have been in perfect condition, and:

So I sent some photos
Pictures 1 and 2 show a couple of the chipped teeth.
Pictures 3, 4 and 5 show the incredibly rough, chipped rim of the top section. Even with the lid screwed on, you can feel these when you run your fingers around the outside
Picture 6 shows the ill fitting plastic ring. This is a minor annoyance. I have tried pressing it down, pushing it into the groove with a fingernail and taking it off and flipping it over, but it still refuses to sit flat.
http://i.imgur.com/1PG2MT3.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9Kwl7So.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pAxutPl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZnMpDcx.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/oaCg1Ah.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/239lbFJ.jpg

Then silence for a week
I gave them a nudge asking if the pictures were ok and received a reply thanking me for letting him know :\

Another few days later with no more emails I asked if there had been any verdict on the pictures and was told they would send me another if I paid for shipping... I thought ok, and reluctantly agreed.

After silence for another few days I requested an invoice for the shipping cost.

2 days later they emailed saying I could call them to give my credit card details but still no mention of cost.

I emailed again asking for the cost and was finally told the cost would be $52 by FedEx or $48 by post.

Now forgive me if I'm wrong, but this seems a bit high for a tiny lightweight grinder.
I send larger parcels around the world for my workplace, and there's no way it should cost that much.

I will not be buying any Kannastor products again if they cannot support them properly.

I'll update if anything changes.
Update:
It took a few more emails after I was told: sorry we could not come to a resolution and there was nothing more they could do, me telling them i was sorry they had come to that conclusion, they had lost a customer and explaining that they weren't honouring their own warranty and more...
But they have finally agreed to send a replacement grinder at no additional cost to myself.
I kinda get the feeling it's the management behind the scenes who are the ones being difficult though as once it was approved the customer service rep seemed glad and happy to be able to help instead of hinder. Telling me he had informed the warehouse make sure to send a pristine grinder, and shipping would do their best to make sure there would be no duties.

I'm happy with the outcome (or will be once I have a 'pristine' GR8TR) but I would have liked the whole process to be less drawn out and painless.

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I paid about $50US for my SLX @Shit Snacks & have a large 63mm. They also have a 50mm option (Carol King has one & also had a warranty issue so may be able to advise on that). You can make it a 3 piece if you slip out the screen but I find it easier to use as is. Most of my grinding is done on a 45 degree angle the way your hands naturally sit if you are looking to use a grinder. Sometimes I will grind upside down but I usually find a good grind & then a light finger grind works very well for me.

One thing i will pint out is the ground capacity is smallish & if you use your grinder as a storage medium it will disappoint. Grind & dump into a bowl or container is what works best with the SLX.

I kinda get the feeling it's the management behind the scenes who are the ones being difficult though as once it was approved the customer service rep seemed glad and happy to be able to help instead of hinder.

That would be because it costs more to freight you the components than to produce them. I suspect your experience would have been different if you were located in NA not the UK. Customer service is very important as you only need it when things go wrong. Luckily a well designed & made grinder will rarely fail & that is why it is so important for companies to have a "no quibble" warranty on their grinders at least.

dirtdragon

What is the best grind for the Mighty? I'm thinking medium to fine but want to make sure to get the best grinder for the mighty using capsules. Thanks!

dirtdragon,

pdx3325

Stevenski

Enter the Dragon
I like the look of the New Vape fine grinder, especially the way it has the fat lip. That should reduce friction & I nearly purchased one before my SLX. There has been mixed feedback on the unit here but I am still considering it as it looks to be the best 2 piece going around.

Top Bottom