Herb Grinders

place_and_time

I'm not sure if anyone here is still looking but the 4 pc slx is currently on massdrop for the next few days. Does anyone have a review of the grinder though because looking around the reviews are quite limited and/or strongly baised.

place_and_time,

Edwardo

I'v skimmed through this thread, but can't see anything.... Does anyone have a cali crusher homegrown?

Edwardo,

TxdoHawk

I bought a $50 fancy 4 piece grinder... I think it was spacecase... I find the acrylic 2 piece orange thing that came with my Mighty does a better job (for vaporization anyway). The spacecase just didn't grind it fine enough for my tastes.

I also have a 4-piece Space Case, and had the same problem as you. Bud falls through the holes way too fast. What you can do is grind upside down, this keeps the herb in the grinding chamber and will let you chop it up as long as you want.

It won't quite turn it to dust like, say, a finishing grinder will, but it gets pretty close, close enough that I haven't felt the need to buy something else.

Edwardo

I also have a 4-piece Space Case, and had the same problem as you. Bud falls through the holes way too fast. What you can do is grind upside down, this keeps the herb in the grinding chamber and will let you chop it up as long as you want.

It won't quite turn it to dust like, say, a finishing grinder will, but it gets pretty close, close enough that I haven't felt the need to buy something else.

Iv found that my minivap likes superfine 'powder', but my crafty is less fussy and is good with SCS 'fluffed' herb. Sadly, I still have to use my acrylic grinder. I'd love to get a MFLB finishing grinder (to avoid plastics), but can't justify the stupid price!

Edwardo,
Reactions: grokit

Popcorn Lung

I have owned the mid size 4 piece scs for 6 months now and every time I grind with it I use a small paint brush to clean any leftovers from the teeth into the middle holding chamber.

Once I use up my grounded up product I clean the screen with the same brush. This practice has kept both the teeth and screen as clean as the first day I got it.

I didn't want to buy a second grinder so when I need to grind up my product finer I disconnect the first two pieces (the two with teeth) and flip it upside down and carefully grind until I no longer feel any resistance. Than I attach it back to the bottom two pieces and grind out the product into the middle holding chamber.

Some people flip the whole unit upside down for this process. These same people wonder why their keif catcher doesn't collect much kief. Well it's not to hard to figure out that when you flip the whole thing over some of the kief gets caught on the bottom part of the screen.

Stoner mentality I guess.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Some people flip the whole unit upside down for this process. These same people wonder why their keif catcher doesn't collect much kief. Well it's not to hard to figure out that when you flip the whole thing over some of the kief gets caught on the bottom part of the screen

I flip my SCS over all the time and grind upside down/sideways for a better grind. Never had an issue with kief.

Popcorn Lung

I flip my SCS over all the time and grind upside down/sideways for a better grind. Never had an issue with kief.

That's good to hear. There was a youtube video of someone demonstrating how to get a finer grind off the scs.

He complained that the screen was too fine so that must be the reason it doesn't collect kief. The inside of his middle chamber was caked with kief and underneath the screen looked the same. The last piece (kief catcher) barely had any.

Tons of reddit comments about the scs users doing the same with the same results.

Just thought I would mention it in case anyone here experiences the same. I'm totally happy with the scs. No need to pay for another. These grinders are costly enough and I get plenty of kief.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
He complained that the screen was too fine so that must be the reason it doesn't collect kief. The inside of his middle chamber was caked with kief and underneath the screen looked the same. The last piece (kief catcher) barely had any.

Yeah, many 4-piece SCS grinders have a very fine screen. Too fine to catch all but the finest kief. Mine is sadly the same way - very little makes it through the screen. Mine is actually so clogged Its due for a cleaning (I cleaned the teeth sides, but never cleaned the bottom 2 sections)

From what I understand, the newer SCS 4-piece grinders use a bigger mesh screen to allow a bit more kief to pass through.

Popcorn Lung

Yeah, many 4-piece SCS grinders have a very fine screen. Too fine to catch all but the finest kief. Mine is sadly the same way - very little makes it through the screen. Mine is actually so clogged Its due for a cleaning (I cleaned the teeth sides, but never cleaned the bottom 2 sections)

From what I understand, the newer SCS 4-piece grinders use a bigger mesh screen to allow a bit more kief to pass through.

I wasn't aware they had two different types.

I had a diamond grinder that I dropped. Kief got everywhere and clogged the screen. I should have given it an iso bath but instead I thought I could pop the screen out because it had two rubber stoppers. I ended up denting the screen and had to waste money on the scs.

The scs is a better grinder but I if you take care of them they should last year's. My diamond grinder was like 7 years old. No issues w it just stupidity on my part.

Now I make sure to keep the screen clean by taking a brush to it over the 4th chamber to collect the kief that has stuck onto it. The brush I use has hard thistles and does a great job of getting any that gets stick on there.

I would soak my scs in iso to get it looking new again and try it if you are not already doing something similar.

It's time consuming to brush the teeth real good to get any left over product into the middle chamber. Than after you use all the product from the holding chamber you take the brush to the inside walls and screen so any kief that remained can fall into the kief catcher.

I do this every time and it's time consuming but it keeps my scs looking new and I have plenty of kief because of it. It's all part of my ritual so it's become second nature =)

whatitdew

Vapes R Great
The little brush that comes with electric shaver kit are perfect for grinders. I have about three of them.

I brush the screen as well but I never touch the teeth, I never seem to get much lodged in them and it will usually come clean with just grinding more herb.

I find the grind from the small (mid size) scs is perfect for most vaporizers and never need to turn it upside down.

ragnorak71

so I had a 4 piece space case for years (at least three houses, 2 daughters, a marriage and a lot less grey hair) i finally killed it when i crossthreaded that bad boy

so i bought i four piece sharpstone with the little handle, it lasted 3 months before the handle snapped in what might have been a slight overload issue

a new 2 piece santa cruz shredder now sits on my desk, ground some bud last night so wont need any for a while but it looks so pretty and love the feel of it

for some reason i wanted to share this tale with you, carry on

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Howdy Mr. @Ratchett. Was it this thread where I read people with 4-piece grinders can remove the screen to have function as a 3-piece. I have a 3-piece SCS and my take on the 4-piece is why collect kief from my herb grind? I want to vape that shit not collect it. :)

Lol, yup quite a few people do that.

I would, but the bottom container is way too small for my liking.

I was considering the 3-piece, but I'm happy enough with my 4-piece for now so I figured I'll save money lol

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
so I had a 4 piece space case for years (at least three houses, 2 daughters, a marriage and a lot less grey hair) i finally killed it when i crossthreaded that bad boy

so i bought i four piece sharpstone with the little handle, it lasted 3 months before the handle snapped in what might have been a slight overload issue

a new 2 piece santa cruz shredder now sits on my desk, ground some bud last night so wont need any for a while but it looks so pretty and love the feel of it

for some reason i wanted to share this tale with you, carry on
I had a SHARP STONE grinder with a handlè!
The handle snapped off the second session.
a zinc screw was used?
I liked the way it ground the herb other wise!
too bad they were short sighted and used zinc?

ragnorak71

I had a SHARP STONE grinder with a handlè!
The handle snapped off the second session.
a zinc screw was used?
I liked the way it ground the herb other wise!
too bad they were short sighted and used zinc?

hmm, I hope you are not questioning my uber manliness? my screw was adamantium at the very least, veins popped and much was the scream as i defeated the puny grinder

but yes, it ground it up cracking. one thing i noticed was it all felt very solid until i had it pieces when i realised that the grindy handle bit are actually very light. dare i say flimsy?

anyhoo am desperately trying to work through this bit i have ground so i can use the new grinder. thats how full my life is

mixchu69

hmm, I hope you are not questioning my uber manliness? my screw was adamantium at the very least, veins popped and much was the scream as i defeated the puny grinder

but yes, it ground it up cracking. one thing i noticed was it all felt very solid until i had it pieces when i realised that the grindy handle bit are actually very light. dare i say flimsy?

anyhoo am desperately trying to work through this bit i have ground so i can use the new grinder. thats how full my life is
Sorry for derail, but that comedy started off my day right. Too funny

max

Out to lunch
I'm a little surprised it lasted 3 months. Aluminum grinders should be machined from one solid chunk of metal. Clear tops and handles are gimmicks.
my take on the 4-piece is why collect kief from my herb grind?
The only time I use a screen is in the winter, if I'm grinding some bud so dry that it turns to powder, and the kief insists on going it's separate way- it's like using a leaky water bottle. And even in cold, dry weather, I've taken to using a Cvault to rehydrate the bud before grinding. To a degree, 4 piece grinders are a gimmick too, and when the big name brands are so damn expensive, I'm thumbs down on a pricey screen grinder.

Sasquatch_Jr

I've got a 4-piece SpaceCase Scout (1.25") and I constantly have to scrub the rims of upper two pieces with an ISO-dipped q tip to stop it from jamming. Maybe 4 or 5 loads will lock it up, fewer if it's an especially sticky or trichome covered strain (once had some Blue Dynamite that locked it up during the first post-ISO grind!). Is this a common issue with SpaceCase grinders or is the issue the small size?

Other than the constant cleaning I love the grinder. Easily pocketable, can grind and store 2 solo stems or a single large Crafty bowl of fluffy bud and the keif collector works great; I usually scrape it out and decarb it to add to my AVB butter for an extra kick.

Any suggestions for a small to medium (say SCS "small" or smaller) 4 piece grinder that won't need constant cleaning? Would the mini SCS fit the bill or will the small size lead to the same issue? What's the difference in grind quality between SC and SCS?

Sasquatch_Jr,
Reactions: VegNVape

grokit

well-worn member
I've got a 4-piece SpaceCase Scout (1.25") and I constantly have to scrub the rims of upper two pieces with an ISO-dipped q tip to stop it from jamming. Maybe 4 or 5 loads will lock it up, fewer if it's an especially sticky or trichome covered strain (once had some Blue Dynamite that locked it up during the first post-ISO grind!). Is this a common issue with SpaceCase grinders or is the issue the small size?

Other than the constant cleaning I love the grinder. Easily pocketable, can grind and store 2 solo stems or a single large Crafty bowl of fluffy bud and the keif collector works great; I usually scrape it out and decarb it to add to my AVB butter for an extra kick.

Any suggestions for a small to medium (say SCS "small" or smaller) 4 piece grinder that won't need constant cleaning? Would the mini SCS fit the bill or will the small size lead to the same issue? What's the difference in grind quality between SC and SCS?
I have two scs 4-piece grinders, and my large rasta needs ~100x more cleaning than my medium silver. I use them the ~same amount with the same buds, so my recommendation is a medium silver :tup:

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I have two scs 4-piece grinders, and my large rasta needs ~100x more cleaning than my medium silver. I use them the ~same amount with the same buds, so my recommendation is a medium silver :tup:
But there is no "medium" SCS :rolleyes: :lol:

SCS sizes are officially the "Mini", "Small", and "Large"
(God that was such a stupid marketing decision - just call them small medium and large damnit!)

Still very interesting, wonder why your large needs more cleaning

Sasquatch_Jr

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like a small/medium SCS will be my next vape accessory purchase. Been a SpaceCase user for years (used to have a large 2 piece in my joint rolling days) but there's nothing wrong with trying a new brand from time to time.

grokit

well-worn member
wonder why your large needs more cleaning
I'm thinking that the silver finish has less surface tension, so it's more slippery than the colored finishes. Meaning I think that the silver feels like it could be a bit rougher on a microscopic level, the colored being smoother. To test this, I would have to compare them under a magnifier, then get a colored medium and a silver large and use them for a while just to make sure of my hypothesis. Frankly, I'd rather speculate.

Top Bottom