1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

[help] Weird green floating growth INSIDE Percolator

Discussion in 'Glass' started by howzcat, Jan 26, 2018.

1. howzcat

howzcat Hard on Glass

Hi guys! It used to be my daily driver. Went out of town a couple of days and forgot to drain the piece of the cranberry extract. When i came back it had a weird growth floating around.
    It's much much larger than any of the slits, so it's impossible to remove it, as is, from inside the matrix percolator.
    I've tried everything, nothing worked. Then i left it to dry. Now it's submerged in ISO for a week and still there is a green disgusting smudge inside the percolator...

On the photo the red liquid is drain cleaner, which i tried as a last resort, and it also didn't help :( as it is now, it sits dry, but you can still see something dark grabbing the inside of the perc. I have tried:
    * boiling water
    * vinegar and baking soda
    * coca cola soak for days
    * drain cleaner
    * iso and salt shake
    * iso soak for days

Please if anyone knows of a way, this is my favorite piece :(

[​IMG]

2. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Hello bud,

Check out this thread:
    PBW & the Chemistry of Clean

I recommend you read the first 2 pages and the last 5.

Seems some folk have had success with PBW, short 5min soaks in very hot water. Long soaks in PBW will likely leave a white water mark so if one 5min session doesn't get the job done repeat the procedure multiple times rather than extending the soaking period.

Let us know if it works out for you.

Squiby, MrMonss and MoltenTiger like this.
  3. howzcat

howzcat Hard on Glass

Thank you!

Where i live i know there is not PBW cleaner available, i've searched. Are there any substitutes or any household materials i can use instead?

4. pxl_jockey

pxl_jockey Barely-Known Member

You can get PBW at amazon/ebay, home brewers sites and online HS.
    At HS, you'll see the same stuff rebranded (&marked-up) for bongs.
    There's no household material or combo that can do what it does.
    It was invented to do what you're asking, get up inside impossible-to-get-to spots
    I mean dude, look at all you have tried: in total materials/time/effort?
    PBW is cheaper, much easier and faster. A little bit goes a long way!

Squiby, GreenHopper and MoltenTiger like this.
  5. GreenHopper

In this post @t-dub talks about a product called OxySpa. I've never used it myself.

Squiby likes this.
  6. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

PBW is what you want to get rid of mould. I had the same problem with a chunk of gunk caught between percs, it took 7 rinses, but it did the job.
    Just yesterday I did a single rinse to get rid of some smaller specks that had built up that alcohol+salt wouldn't dislodge.

You can find it online, PBW by 5 Star Chemicals. It's the best.

Squiby, howzcat and GreenHopper like this.
  7. howzcat

howzcat Hard on Glass

Thanks for the replies. Unanimous, then. I'm getting the PBW. Will report back :)

edit: i think i found it, can anyone confirm if this is it? It's a cleaning agent sold by a beer brewing company. I'm positive this is it, but will it be enough?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    MoltenTiger and pxl_jockey like this.
  8. Andreaerdna

Andreaerdna If God is the answer, then the question is wrong

I use a cheap ultrasonic cleaner, iso is way stronger when you put your piece in an ultrasonic bath (water in ultrasonic vat, iso in the bubbler (sealed)

Squiby, MoltenTiger and GreenHopper like this.
  9. MoltenTiger

That’s it. I’ve had a 435g tub for a year, I got it for the exact reason here. It’s been used a lot and I still have half the tub.
    It took a bit off effort to clean my RezBlock mould, with multiple soaks and quick rinses.
    The key to PBW is about 1/2 tsp powder per 500mL boiling water. You won’t want to soak for longer than 5 or 10 minutes as the heat helps it work.
    I fill a Pyrex jug from a kettle and mix and pour that into my glass piece. The PBW is a detergent and surfactant, so it makes things extremely slippery (be careful shaking the rig, also thoroughly rinse the piece with hot tap water, wipe down the exterior during to avoid white steaks forming on the glass). I found initial soaks began to break it up into smaller chunks, and then placing a gloved finger over the glass joint and blowing into the mouthpiece (PBW solution in piece) eventually pressured the slime out of the perc. I had to persist for a while, but it did the trick when not much else could.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    howzcat, Squiby and GreenHopper like this.
  10. GreenHopper

That's a good point about how slippery the glass gets with PBW. Be really careful @howzcat, it's really easy to drop the bubbler and smash it.

Take your time and maybe put a rubber mat in the sink where you are rinsing out.

howzcat, Squiby and MoltenTiger like this.
  11. MoltenTiger

Absolutely. Good idea on the mat, mood mats sell a decent sink mat.

It’s also worth pointing out that some dish gloves help with dealing with the hot water, and help a lot with grip.
    But also, it’s not necessary to shake it too much. A little helps, but it’s fine just letting it sit too.

howzcat, Squiby and GreenHopper like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors