Help! Stuck choosing between DaV IQ and FF2

zor

Hey guys. I'm giving my Pax 2 to a friend and would like to replace it with either an IQ or Firefly 2. I'm stuck not because I like the features of one vs the other but rather can't determine whether either will fit my desired usage well. I don't want a session vaporizer, while I love the pax I find portables to suit me best when I can take a quick hit easily. For this reason I favor the Firefly, but absolutely detest the need to use a damn phone app to change temperature settings. From everything I've read and watched, there's only one temp that is reached by pressing the button, you adjust that with the app.

The IQ has a really neat smart path idea, which mirrors how I used to use the volcano and SSV pre-modding it with temperature steps, but this suggests more of a session style than instant on. What is great, though, is the precise temp setting that you can use without a god damn app....and boost mode! Ignoring conduction vs convection and all that, would this be a good analogue for an instant-on (relatively speaking) hit?

Can't edit my original post, mods can you please merge this with the first post?

I found this post in the FF2 thread that I overlooked or missed accidentally: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-197#post-1070297

I'd still like to hear about your experiences relating to my questions above. I think seems the FF2 will be the better suited vape for my needs!

....Or get both of them:evil:

Last edited by a moderator:

almost there

Hey guys. I'm giving my Pax 2 to a friend and would like to replace it with either an IQ or Firefly 2. I'm stuck not because I like the features of one vs the other but rather can't determine whether either will fit my desired usage well. I don't want a session vaporizer, while I love the pax I find portables to suit me best when I can take a quick hit easily. For this reason I favor the Firefly, but absolutely detest the need to use a damn phone app to change temperature settings. From everything I've read and watched, there's only one temp that is reached by pressing the button, you adjust that with the app.

The IQ has a really neat smart path idea, which mirrors how I used to use the volcano and SSV pre-modding it with temperature steps, but this suggests more of a session style than instant on. What is great, though, is the precise temp setting that you can use without a god damn app....and boost mode! Ignoring conduction vs convection and all that, would this be a good analogue for an instant-on (relatively speaking) hit?

Can't edit my original post, mods can you please merge this with the first post?

I found this post in the FF2 thread that I overlooked or missed accidentally: http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-firefly-2-vaporizer.20281/page-197#post-1070297

I'd still like to hear about your experiences relating to my questions above. I think seems the FF2 will be the better suited vape for my needs!

....Or get both of them:evil:
hey @zor, I don't own a FF2 but I can surely give u bit of my personal experience with the IQ. I must first warn you that my IQ does have functional flaws which I'll get to so not everyone may share this experience. Much like you I haven't been a sessions kinda guy for years so I like a unit that I can run to whenever the desire hits me. Even though I went into it knowing that the IQ wasn't designed to be an on demand vaporizer I was so enchanted with the sleekness of the design and overall if everything functions as advertised it would be an acceptable compromise. I don't need to get into all the details of vapor quality and such because as far as that goes it's all pretty true. Excellent flavor, easy pull, even heating, this is all valid. I always pack it full and tight(.3ish) and I'll take 4-5 pulls from it each time I start it up, more or less each "session" is 4-5mins including heatup time. I can get 4 of these little sessions with one packing in the following temps with each successive heating 360, 375, 390, 410-430. Now on the the part about heating and battery issues, my unit doesn't have the super hot problem, not to me at least but then I don't have it on for the max length of time for a session. The flaw with my unit is that at about 380 degrees and above my oven is unable to maintain the temp too well, each time I pull and the higher the temp the bigger the drop. For instance at 370 degrees after a draw the temp may dip only 2 or 3 degrees. At 380 degrees it'll dip 7 degrees or so, when I go around 400 degrees it can dip from 14 to as far as 20 degrees. To the best of my knowledge this isn't a problem many other owners share but it is a joy kill. It's still functional but I find the wait between reheatings in between draws to be an annoyance for someone who is vaping to calm anxiety. The lauded long battery life was something else I can't testify to have enjoyed because of the heating issue. So much of my battery is drained from reheating the oven that I've never gotten more than 40 mins out of a full charge. I don't find myself using the app all that much unless it's to turn on the unit (5 clicks is a pain in the ass), tried the paths the first week or 2 but it wasn't my thing.
So in conclusion I do still like my IQ despite all it's little issues and I'm sure once I can get all the kinks resolved I'll love it. I'm a sucker for a pretty face and IMO the IQ is a real knockout in looks. Customer service from my personal experience hasn't been a problem. Although I still haven't successfully registered my purchase bc of the Davinci site problem I always get a response from my emails or reaching out to them on the chat from the site. I did't get into all the technical details bc you can find all that easily enuff, just wanted to give you an honest opinion from an objective perspective. Good luck, hope you enjoy whatever you windup with.

zor

Thanks a lot @almost there!! This is very helpful. I'm used to 5 clicks as I use ecig mods and other wax pens which employ the same locking mechanism so it doesn't bother me at all. The battery and heating issues you describe help provide more a more comprehensive understanding of the device too.

I think I might just dive into the firefly2 for now as I'd like an on-demand convection vape, and see where we go from there.

zor,

almost there

Thanks a lot @almost there!! This is very helpful. I'm used to 5 clicks as I use ecig mods and other wax pens which employ the same locking mechanism so it doesn't bother me at all. The battery and heating issues you describe help provide more a more comprehensive understanding of the device too.

I think I might just dive into the firefly2 for now as I'd like an on-demand convection vape, and see where we go from there.
Here's a thought, I picked up a Ti woody from dynavap and just received it 3 days ago. I found that it suited all my needs without a big $$$ commitment. It's on demand and it uses up very little material to get a big payoff. Check out the vapcap tread if u haven't already. Make sure u take a good read from the FF2 thread also before u make the big decision. The FF2 has it's own set of problems so do some digging before throwing down the dough. Good luck!

zor

Yeah, I have a vapcap too but I can't bust out a torch and casually heat it up when I'm at a show without attracting unwanted attention :)
Ya, the FF2 does have quite a few issues but I don't think they dissuade me yet...

Edit: typos, smilwy

Last edited:
zor,

mixchu69

Yeah, I have a vkapcap too but I can't bust out a torch and casually heat it up when I'm at a show without lkattracting unwanted attention. Ya, the FF2 does have quite a few issues but I don't think they dissuade me yet...
@zor, I'm with you. Thinking of purchasing a ff2, but I'm doing it because of its ability to do concentrates. I've been watching all the reviews (across the board it seems to be positive) but on FC it doesn't get the same love. The only way to see is try it myself.

Top Bottom