Help on filters used with extraction tube / Amount of butane

Tree Burner

Hey, so the one time I ran some bho I used two unbleached coffee filters. My friend has been making some bho with shake and his always comes out runny, dark, and green.

He is using a nice tube but it uses a fine mesh metal screen at the bottom. I've never heard of any one using a metal screen without being accompanied by a coffee filter or two. It's green and dark so I'm assuming plant material is blowing by the screen and/or he is blasting way too much butane through it.

Any pointers would be very helpful and very much appreciated. Here is a picture of his tube and the oil.

Tree Burner,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
It would certainly make sense if the screen mesh is of the micron size only intended to hold back the bulk and would filter thru an attached coffee filter (I just fold one over for 2 layers). Or, too fine and its delaying the release too long causing a soak an picking up too much unwanteds.

Even if he was using shake, it shouldn't be green in color...... and by the first pic it doesnt appear that he has ground it, so its hard to tell whats going wrong.

smokum,
Reactions: Roger D

Tree Burner

One other detail is I asked him about his butane/shake ratio and he wasn't sure but he said it might have around 1 can for an ounce of shake.

My guess is he used to much butane along with that screen not being good enough. A coffee filter is 10-15 microns. That's smaller than a while blood cell so I have a hard time believing that metal screen is on the same level.

I know there are people here that are way more educated on the subject than me. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Tree Burner,

sneaky101

I use only a metal mesh screen with my tube. I ordered it from (I can't remember ATM) it is pretty fine (I think 50 or so micron) and run 45-50 grams at a time with 1 can of vector (320ml) or power (300ml). A long time ago I did a second run and it came out like pot-shit. Green and runny. Didn't like it at all. And that was using primo buds for the first run.

IMHO, 10-15 microns is too fine, but what do I know. I read all over people using coffee filters, I've just never had the need with my mesh screens. Your pic does look like my second run though. How big is his tube and how many cans (ml) is he running?

sneaky101,

Tree Burner

He said he "thinks" he ran around 1 can(~320ml) for about one ounce of shake(from quality bud. I'm not sure if he did multiple runs or just one...I'll have to ask him. His tube holds maybe a half ounce but that's a complete guess. It's definitely not as big as the honey bee I have which held 26g's tightly packed.

Tree Burner,

DabComa

Stuck in Dab Coma
I always use the mason jar method with 2 non bleached coffee filters and I use 1 can of tane per oz, and i run it twice, second time the day after to let the tane dry out on the plant, and i get very good quality stuff now that i got my method down. So I guess it would depend on the micron size of your friends screen.

vaporonly

living in a van down by the river
it's best not to think of coffee filter being a set micron level, because they aren't a constant set level. depending on brand they are roughly 20-25 micron.

from what i have seen even that is a little too small and will block some of the goodies but won't allow most plant matter through.

one or two paper coffee filters seems to be pretty typical though

you could always redissolve the bho in everclear, winterize, and then re-filter with coffee filters

vaporonly,
Top Bottom