Help! New PD little or no vapor

Octavian

Proud new owner of a PD vape kit. Current frustration level = medium. (It must be something we are doing wrong, right? :) Checked out the tutorial videos on youtube, read the manual. Barely getting the tiniest bit of vapor and only one hit on a fresh tube. Base unit seems to be getting very warm, don't understand why no joy? We waited sooooo patiently since August....

Octavian,

aero18

vaporist
Try sucking in very slowly. Let it warm up first too! It takes a while for it to warm up (45 min I think?)

aero18,

Octavian

I allow it to warm up for 45 minutes, fill up a tube and mate it to the base. If I am EXTREMELY patient, I will get one very small hit for a lot of work. Then no more, no matter what. I thought at least 2-3 good hits per tube, right? We have been over the manual a dozen times and don't see anything obvious. The vape video tutorials have us drooling, watching the PD's generate clouds of vapor. Not our experience so far very disappointing. Hopeful, though. :(

Octavian,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Is your herb finely chopped up? Are you getting a whistle at all? Have you tried leaving your PD on for multiple hours?

Clouds of vapor is entirely dependant on the lighting in the room, regardless of whether it's highly visible or not you should be getting VERY baked if it's working properly.

Chubba,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Oh... Is your stuff REALLY dry! It needs to be drier than for smoking. I'm a pretty new PD owner and mine vaped great right after warmup time. I hope you can get it sorted out soon.

Dry, chopped... Drawing slow enough. Something simple I hope. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lo,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I don't believe being dry really matters, not to this extent, I've had VERY moist weed... all that happens is the first hit is VERY light... the 2nd/3rd/4th are just as thick because the 1st hit (200 degree air) turns any moist weed into super dry/brittle bud.

Chubba,

Lo

Okay... so it's not a moisture issue... Sorry! Narrowing it down though I hope :D

Lo,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
Well everybody says the bud has to be very dry but perhaps I'm alone on this.

If it's moist, after 1 hit in a vape it will go extremely dry.

Chubba,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
What's the ambient temp like?

I just toss a tshirt over my PD for a couple minutes and then take a rip... sometimes it's to the point where it's almost too hot to hold in my hand but man.. 3 stems like that and i'm :ko:

aznfknpride,

aero18

vaporist
aznfknpride said:

I just toss a tshirt over my PD for a couple minutes and then take a rip... sometimes it's to the point where it's almost too hot to hold in my hand but man.. 3 stems like that and i'm :ko:
Wow. Those are crazy hot hits. :lol:

aero18,

Octavian

It just doesn't seem to be consuming any herb beyond the first small hit. I notice a very faint discoloration of the material in the tube. Just measured the temperature of the base and it's right at 170 degrees. No matter how much or how little I put in the tube, there is nothing beyond the first hit. Tap the tube on the counter and unconsumed herb falls out. However, after three small hits, I am feeling quite relaxed so it is working just a little. Most curious.:|

Octavian,

Chubba

Vaporbonger
You shouldn't be a little bit relaxed, it should get you very baked.

Doesn't sound like it's running at the right temp, my PD produces enough vapor to make me cough off every hit.

Chubba,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
it also depends on the quality of your herb.... if it has a lower THC content it wont give as much vape...

how hard are you hitting it?

DevoTheStrange,

Octavian

Tried slow and easy, tried hard. The only thing that works is a few quick puffs off a fresh tube then nothing. The quality of the herb is medium high. Two hits through a water bong will set off a fairly good buzz. Three will put you in the tunnel.:)

Octavian,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
how long do you let the tube sit in the PD? letting it sit a good 10-30 seconds before hitting it can help.

DevoTheStrange,

aznfknpride

borosilicate fiend..
aero18 said:
aznfknpride said:

Wow. Those are crazy hot hits. :lol:
Yeah, definitely need the bong for those. You can duff bowls in one hit though.. :brow:

being that it's winter, does the outside temp have any effect on the PD? I know having a ceiling fan on cools mine off enough to the point where it produces very little vapor for me... luckily where I live it wont get any colder than high50s/low60s.

Oh, so do you have a ceiling fan on? lol. turn that off if you do and try again. I thought my PD was broke at first but I tried covering it first and it got VERY hot.. so then I tried turning off the fan and it worked much better.

aznfknpride,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah weather can affect how warm your PD runs, if it has access too cool flowing air it will run a bit cooler than normal.

I live out in the desert mountains, so right now we go from freezing in the morning too 70 degrees by mid day.. raises hell with the operating temp of my PD.

put your PD in a sock or something for 10 minutes or so...

DevoTheStrange,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I know you are saying the unit feels warm, but is the plug/adapter definitely working ok. I know thats new as well, but just to concider that may cause such a problem as the unit not getting hot enough. Can you take the pd to car and try the car adapter and see if that makes a big difference? Then you can know for sure.

Happycamper,

lwien

Could also have a problem with intermittent power on/off due to a bad power plug on the PD itself and could exhibit the same problem when used with the car adapter.

I'd just send it into Tom for a bench test.

lwien,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
Yeah i'd try it in your car and drive around for awhile. Like 45 min and then try it with your car running still. If it doesn't work in your car in a working cigarette adapter you could have a bad pd. Which I highly doubt.

Try the suck method if your not allready. To make sure it's loose enough so your getting airflow.

Have you tried touching the heat port?? It should be so hot you don't want to keep your finger on it.

Take looooooong slow draws with this thing too. Works alot better

The best way I've found to keep the pd reaaaal hot is with a can cozy. Pop a hole in it for the cord and it's good to go. I did that when I ran the pd through a bong. No need anymore after I got the wand...

minnesnowta,

Octavian

Patience, a good attitude and the advice of very kind people will take you a long way. I am amazed that I can type this as I am sitting three feet above the chair I am in.... :) Tried some very dry Kif from the coffee bean grinder and it all caught and oboy.... Captured the technique and the draw and booyah. Joy. Very clean and very tasty. Ground up a quantity of herb that we had set out to dry overnight very fine, packed it and flash.... Coughed my lungs out. My eyes look like cherries. :ko: Thanks to every one of you for your patience. It was so light and tasted so good. I am hooked. :) My lungs and my head thank you. What a wonderful, awesome alternative!! Woot! :D

Octavian,

Lo

I'm so glad you got it going!! Was hoping to hear that!

Lo,

Octavian

Thanks again to everyone who so kindly responded. I did not expect so many and am very grateful. Most excellent!! I SO prefer this to smoking. My gosh what a huge difference! Just put cigarettes down three weeks ago today and am feeling pretty good. :) I'm afraid if I vape another tube I will float right off the floor. :p

Octavian,

jeffp

psychonaut/retired
Octavian said:
It just doesn't seem to be consuming any herb beyond the first small hit. I notice a very faint discoloration of the material in the tube. Just measured the temperature of the base and it's right at 170 degrees. No matter how much or how little I put in the tube, there is nothing beyond the first hit. Tap the tube on the counter and unconsumed herb falls out. However, after three small hits, I am feeling quite relaxed so it is working just a little. Most curious.:|
Have you tried different material? Once in a while I find that for whatever reason, different strains produce different results with different vaporizers.

jeffp,
Top Bottom