• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Help Deciding on Convection Portable

nacho257

Hey all,

Currently in the market for a convection style portable. I love my Q to death, and want a different experience than the Pax offers.

I'm leaning towards the Firefly due to its great taste, on demand control, and supposed coolness of the vapor.

The Air, however, looks interesting. I'm worried it'll have a restrictive draw like the Solo, which I tried and thought was way too restrictive.

The Crafty is at the top of my price range, however the one minute shutoff feature is a huge turnoff for me. I've read that it's amazing though....is it worth the extra money?

nacho257,

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
The 2014 revised Solo there isn't much of a restriction. I didn't like the restriction on the original Solo unless I used the PVHES mouthpieces.

I bought the Air and the stock stems sent out with the first bunch of units had smaller holes a somewhat restricted draw. I didn't like mine and may buy different shorter stems. I hear that there are larger holes in the stems now. I prefer using a longer stem with the Air if I don't need to be very stealth. I prefer a longer air path which gives better tasting vapor IMO.

herbivore21

Hey all,

Currently in the market for a convection style portable. I love my Q to death, and want a different experience than the Pax offers.

I'm leaning towards the Firefly due to its great taste, on demand control, and supposed coolness of the vapor.

The Air, however, looks interesting. I'm worried it'll have a restrictive draw like the Solo, which I tried and thought was way too restrictive.

The Crafty is at the top of my price range, however the one minute shutoff feature is a huge turnoff for me. I've read that it's amazing though....is it worth the extra money?
The one minute shut-off in the crafty only kicks in if you have not hit it for a minute hard enough to make the temp go down 2-3 degrees celcius. In practice, it should not shut off on you during normal use, only if you take wayyyyyy too long between hits (like long enough to have cooked off a good bit of the material in your chamber out into the air while you weren't hitting the vape!).

herbivore21,
Reactions: mestizo

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
You might consider the upcoming Zion too, if you are quick enough you could make it to the first 100 list but you will have to hurry up.... and also you would need to take the risk of getting a new device with some potential quirks and bugs. That being said the Crafty had some issues initially, I don't know whether it's all solved as I'm typing.

Note also that the main problem with both the Crafty and the Firefly is the short battery life. You could consider the Elevape SV maybe, its users like it a lot and it's under-rated I think. Or there's always the Air and Solo, you can't go wrong with either.

1_gr8_underdog

Trapped in the Astral Planes Back from the dead
Welcome to FC @nacho257 I own a Firefly it is a great vape. It delivers good flavorful cool hits.The heat up time is near zero. It feels like a luxuary vape should when you hold it. Has a awesome warranty. It would be a solid choice if you prefer battery powered options. If I may make a suggestion, you could pick up a Daisy And Lily from Triihouse (-fc discount) for less than all those listed and spend the extra green on herbs to fill them up. Both 100% convection. :doh: sorry to pile on to your research. But in terms of performance, vapor quaility/quantity, reliability,value, on demand vapor capability, and satisfaction I feel from using my vape the Daisy far exceeds the Firefly. Just my opinion. As for the others? Never tried them. But, what I have read/seen are great things. Exactly what I would expect from Arizer and S&B. Ultimately it is going to come down to a few factors of what is most important for you. Vapor quality which I think is priority #1 on your list? Battery life or butane refills. Build quality, stealth, maintence costs, cleaning, replacement part costs, warranty, customer service track record,etc. Hope this helps not hinders. I just wanted you to have info of some alternatives.:tup:

Last edited:

sz1a

Retailer
I personally don't like the Firefly because of its short battery life and not great portability. It's a bit bulky and not very discreet. It does taste great though and does have the benefit of complete on-demand vapor production. I would recommend the Air, it is really compact and just as good as the Solo if you are chasing big clouds. Regarding the Crafty's 1 minute turn off, I agree it can be a turn off. Is it true that it can be turned off in the accompanying app? Pun intended.

sz1a,
Reactions: nacho257

mestizo

If money is not an issue, I would try the miniVAP, now available with a glass and the original teflon core.

mestizo,

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
I'm starting to hate people who think you need convection for a good vaporizing experience.

My Davinci Ascent uses mostly conduction heating to cook the load, and it's probably the best tasting low-temperature vaporizer I've owned or used to date (granted, I've only used about 10 vaporizers so far, but still....)

I wouldn't discount conduction simply because your original Pax tasted bad. Every vaporizer has a different "signature". No two experiences are alike.

However if you're curious to experiment with a nearly pure convection vaporizer and not afraid of using a butane torch. You should check out the Lotus - it's one hell of a powerful vaporizer for around $100.

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
@Ratchett : we agree for the Ascent but some people don't share our opinion. For instance @Shit Snacks and @pakalolo don't rate the Ascent taste that high. But for me, and I'm still trying to pinpoint why, I think it produces a superior vapor, at least compared to other "mostly conduction" vapes based on the same principle. I don't know if it's the glass path or just the lenght of said path, the bowl shape, or something else, but with this vape the taste is lingering and coats your mouth.

Some friends of mine noticed that with the Ascent they feel the taste directly when they inhale, whereas with my FM5 for instance, they feel the taste on exhale... strange heh?

It might also be due to the fact you can really do low temps with it, when most other vapes tend to start higher... I dunno.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
But for me, and I'm still trying to pinpoint why, I think it produces a superior vapor, at least compared to other "mostly conduction" vapes based on the same principle. I don't know if it's the glass path or just the lenght of said path, the bowl shape, or something else, but with this vape the taste is lingering and coats your mouth.

Agreed, I suspect it may be because I start at lower temperatures with my Ascent (330F). Taste in a head to head testing against my Indica was pretty equal once I raised temps up to 365+

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Hey all,

Define portable. If you want something you can easily carry in a pocket, you've already eliminated some portables.

pakalolo,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Hey all,

My Firefly hits much harsher than my Elevape btw, I wouldn't call it a cool hitter personally.

Also Air and Solo use a lot of conduction as well btw (Crafty too, but less. Expensive for the weak battery that one though), and they're even harsher, really dry out my throat.

Also have to mention Grasshopper, I think its a real winner but debateable at this point. Not out yet so you'd have to wait a couple months.

And yeah butane, check out the Daisy and Lily too...

mitchgo61

I go where the thrills are
Note also that the main problem with both the Crafty and the Firefly is the short battery life.

Worth noting that the new batteries have largely fixed this problem with the Firefly.

My Firefly hits much harsher than my Elevape btw, I wouldn't call it a cool hitter personally.

Also Air and Solo use a lot of conduction as well btw (Crafty too, but less. Expensive for the weak battery that one though), and they're even harsher, really dry out my throat.

There's your "taste" subjectivity right there...I've used all kinds of vapes for six-plus years, but I've never experienced cooler, tastier vapor than the FF. Even top-notch desktop convection vapes don't touch the FF for cool, great vapor, IME. (My wife hates the FF, because she finds it "too cold". She likes smoke. Go figure.) I think a lot of FF fans characterize the device as exceptionally cool. But that's taste for you...we don't all experience the same thing, and there's no right or wrong. (I think the steel vapor paths are critical for coolness with the FF...it really seems to suck heat right out of the vapor between the bowl and your mouth.)

I do agree that neither Solo vape is what I would consider "convection". Both rely heavily on conduction and radiant heat, and I haven't used the Air, but the original Solo isn't what I would call particularly portable, compared to other choices on the market.

Shit Snacks

Worth noting that the new batteries have largely fixed this problem with the Firefly.

There's your "taste" subjectivity right there...I've used all kinds of vapes for six-plus years, but I've never experienced cooler, tastier vapor than the FF. Even top-notch desktop convection vapes don't touch the FF for cool, great vapor, IME. (My wife hates the FF, because she finds it "too cold". She likes smoke. Go figure.) I think a lot of FF fans characterize the device as exceptionally cool. But that's taste for you...we don't all experience the same thing, and there's no right or wrong. (I think the steel vapor paths are critical for coolness with the FF...it really seems to suck heat right out of the vapor between the bowl and your mouth.)

I do agree that neither Solo vape is what I would consider "convection". Both rely heavily on conduction and radiant heat, and I haven't used the Air, but the original Solo isn't what I would call particularly portable, compared to other choices on the market.

I'm not talking about taste at all really, those first cool tasty hits on the FF, that's like anything. But as the bowl progresses, or using with another person, it gets really harsh. My ex gf who is a smoker says its way too harsh for her, would prefer to smoke even...

My old one not so much, but my replacement runs much hotter. Elevape stays cooler with its instant on, and wider vapor path, keeps the metal colder in general. Never cough from my ESV.

I also wouldn't say new batteries necessarily fix the battery issue, they made them decent. But battery life on the FF is still weaker than most. Replaceables helps with that issue a lot, but they're very expensive from ff

Shit Snacks,

nacho257

Thank you for all of the great responses! I would respond one by one, but there's too many....

I do think the grasshopper looks great. I'd rather not wait, however, and am still a bit skeptical about it's durability/battery life and such. Seems too good to be true, I'll wait till the verdict's out.

Zion does look good, but if I was gonna wait it'd be for the Grasshopper.

@pakalolo , For me portable means being able to comfortably use it around my house, with the option to take it to a friend's place or camping or such.

The butane torch vapes look awesome! Thank you so much for suggesting those @Ratchett and @Shit Snacks , I'm definitely going to look at those in the future, but for now I don't want the bother of having to light a torch every hit.

@mitchgo61 thanks for your input as well. I'm hoping my experience matches yours. Your posts on the Firefly forum are a large part of what made me decide its the one. After months of lurking and the help I've received here recently, I decided to go ahead with the Firefly--Just sent @Trogdor payment for his red one with extra battery and water pipe lid!

Shit Snacks

Thank you for all of the great responses! I would respond one by one, but there's too many....

I do think the grasshopper looks great. I'd rather not wait, however, and am still a bit skeptical about it's durability/battery life and such. Seems too good to be true, I'll wait till the verdict's out.

Zion does look good, but if I was gonna wait it'd be for the Grasshopper.

@pakalolo , For me portable means being able to comfortably use it around my house, with the option to take it to a friend's place or camping or such.

The butane torch vapes look awesome! Thank you so much for suggesting those @Ratchett and @Shit Snacks , I'm definitely going to look at those in the future, but for now I don't want the bother of having to light a torch every hit.

@mitchgo61 thanks for your input as well. I'm hoping my experience matches yours. Your posts on the Firefly forum are a large part of what made me decide its the one. After months of lurking and the help I've received here recently, I decided to go ahead with the Firefly--Just sent @Trogdor payment for his red one with extra battery and water pipe lid!

Nice choice, as a round the house portable my Firefly has been very very enjoyable, perfect taking to friends too.

Curious how that water pipe lid works, never seen anything like it before

Shit Snacks,
Reactions: mitchgo61

nacho257

I'm curious as well! I'm using the EQ through water right now and really enjoy that setup, so I'm not expecting the firefly to replace that......Just got one of these in the mail however
http://www.dhgate.com/product/2014-...moking-pipes/209052633.html#s1-0-1|3851024354
Can't wait to try the firefly with it. I don't know what people's opinions are on the Chinese knockoff pieces but that one is incredibly well made. Mine had a nicer bowl on it as well.

Trogdor

Vapinating the peasants
The Firefly WPA lid was a little pet project of mine, bit more finicky than the normal method, but it's a fun way of getting water diffused vapor in a pinch. Helps to get it heatsoaked first of course

paytonpenn

Level 30 Nature/Healer
What's the difference of lighting a torch to hit versus pressing a button?

Also I second the Hammer, but have used it for 10+ minutes with a flame lock so I don't know about a bowl or two.

nacho257

What's the difference of lighting a torch to hit versus pressing a button?

Also I second the Hammer, but have used it for 10+ minutes with a flame lock so I don't know about a bowl or two.

The fact is there is a difference, and for me I'd rather press the button. I enjoy vaping while laying down and don't want to have to worry about setting a hot lighter on my bed. I also haven't had the best of luck with a reliable torch lighter that doesn't use too much butane. In addition, there's an addition cost to using the vape and the worry about having to refill a lighter. I understand the draw to the Lotus, Daisy, etc, however for my daily driver portable for the long term I want electric. Just a matter of opinion.

Have you looked into the Haze? I also own a Pax and an Ascent, and the Haze beats them both, IMHO. It comes with both conduction and convection screens, plus has the added convenience of two bowls and rechargeable, removable batteries. It does both flower and concentrates equally well.

nacho257

Have you looked into the Haze? I also own a Pax and an Ascent, and the Haze beats them both, IMHO. It comes with both conduction and convection screens, plus has the added convenience of two bowls and rechargeable, removable batteries. It does both flower and concentrates equally well.

@Purrito Purrpants I did look at and consider the Haze, but from the reviews I was reading it seems as though the Firefly still has a better performance. Plus, I'm using it mostly around the house, so I didn't need the extra convenience the Haze offers. Definitely looks like a solid vape though, glad you're enjoying it

Also as an update: Still loving my red Firefly. I'm getting my technique down pat, I'm totally smitten :love:

Top Bottom