1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Help Choosing My First Desktop

Discussion in 'ABV' started by kajisindian, Aug 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kajisindian

kajisindian Member

Hi guys, I've been deliberating a lot about what sort of desktop vape I want. I've read so many threads, reviews, and websites... but it has just left me even more muddled. When I think I have figured it out, then I read something else that sends my mind spinning again. I felt like the only way to make any headway is to ask you all myself. Sorry if this post ends up being long, I feel like it is necessary to give you as much info as I can so I can figure this all out.

I've never used a desktop vape, but I have used a couple of portables:
    Firewood- I didn't really like it and I felt like there was too much hassle to get anywhere with it.
    Solo- Good, it got me high, but I don't like the draw system. I don't like having to look down to use it all the time. Maybe that's just me being really picky though.
    Indica- I like this one, I feel like it gets me just as high as the solo but I don't feel like it I have to constantly look down to use it.

So, that is my experience with vapes so far. I am not a very heavy user. An eight can last me anywhere from two weeks to a month (maybe even more) depending on what I have going on. I don't usually smoke more than two bowls of my solo or my indica in a given day. I feel like that might carry some weight with your suggestions.

What I want from a vape:
    Efficiency - I would prefer that if I smoked just as often with a desktop that eights would last just as long. I'm not expecting them to last longer. And I don't know if this is a ridiculous statement, I don't know if desktops are supposed to be more or less conservative than portables.

Bowl size - I would like to be able to fill a bowl with small amounts for when I'm alone as well as with large amounts for when I am with friends.

Water tools - Being able to attach to a water tool is a must. If it can attach without having to buy an extra piece or if the piece is relatively cheap, then that is a plus.

Glass - All glass would be preferred, but it really isn't necessary. I just like how you can reclaim your glass.
    Stirring - I would prefer if it vaped evenly without needing to stir, but also, not the biggest issue.

Airflow - I would prefer to have a decent airflow and not have to feel like I'm sucking on a clogged pipe.

Hard hitting - This is where I get confused as to how I want to describe what I want. I want something that I can feel without having to suck on it for half an hour to just feel a little bit. But I don't care about clouds. I also don't mind spending some time with it. I don't need to feel it in one hit. For example, I like the amount of time I spend with the solo. I usually go through and or two 12 minute sessions with it and that is perfect, I get to spend some time with it and chill (something I feel like I lose a bit when I'm vaping rather than smoking.. I can slowly feel myself getting higher with it.

I don't have a price range. If I need to save up for a few months to get something that will suit me, then that is fine. But if something that is cheaper will suit all (or most) of my needs I will grab that rather than spending a large chunk more.

I don't have a specific vape in mind anymore but I will give you my feelings about some of the ones that I have looked into.

Logs - I know they are super efficient and that is great. I just don't think that I would like their direct draw system because I don't like the solos.

DBV - I don't really like that the whip is facing one direct so I can't sit in a circle. I have heard good things about it's hits though.

EQ - I like that it uses both whips and bags. I get confused because people say that the whip isn't as good as the DBV but I don't really understand why, so that is something that worries me.

Cloud - looks pretty awesome, but is expensive and I don't know if I would personally notice much of a difference between it and a cheaper vape based on my tolerance level.

Thanks for taking the time to read all that. Don't limit your suggestions to the few I listed above, suggest away!
  2. Magic9

Magic9 Plant Enthusiast

Middle of the Map
    I always suggest a log (Underdog being my preference). I've never used a Solo, but the airflow on my dog is pretty wide open.

Efficiency- I go through about 3.5g a week and never feel like I'm "limiting" myself. I use a stainless steel tip with a GonG stem (as seen in pic)

Bowl size- With the SS tip, I use very tiny amounts. Too small to measure. Without the stainless steel tip, you can use a basket screen and adjust it for more or less. It won't be as much as a DBV bowl can hold, but if it is high quality product, you could always just take turns with each person getting a fresh load.

Water tools- See link above for pic. 14mm GonG and 18mm NonG available. I use my glass stem for both wet and dry. UD offers 4 stems (your choice) with the purchase of a vape.

Glass- I think the HI has a glass heater core as an option? Not 100% on that, but I remember something about it.

Airflow- Pretty wide open on my dog. Very much more so than some of the older logs I've had (PD,CRZ).

Hard hitting- Again, see pic above. I like a good hard hitting vape and I love clouds (don't judge me). The UD fits that for me. I can take 2-3 monster hits that are more vapor than I can kill in one shot, or I can hit low and slow and stretch it out for a few more hits. I can take one hit, set it down, and come back at any time to finish it off (known as grazing). My UD runs 24/7 so it is always ready.

Someone who has used a solo and a new-gen log will chime in, but from what I have gathered, the Solo is much more restricted.

The DBV is a fine vape, but it wasn't efficient enough for me. I sold it before I had a chance to use @tweaks mod. Check that out in the DBV thread. Never having used an EQ, I would say that the 7th Floor vapes (DBV, SSV, LSV,) is a better choice. No exp. with the Cloud either.

A log may be all you ever need. If not, it will give you a great idea of what may suit you better in the future. At the worst, you sell it for a small loss on the classifieds here (after you hit that 50+ post). I think everyone should have one in their collection whether it is their main vape or not.
    EveryDayAmnesiac likes this.
  3. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge Retailer

I think the Life Saber Vaporizer (LSV) hits a lot of your points, except that I stir it after each hit.

It's mostly glass, you can put as much or as little in as you want, was made to use with glass pieces and it's a big hitter. You can't effectively suck on it as hard as you want, but it has a wide open air flow so you can find the right, medium draw speed to hit the sweet spot.

I don't like it without glass to go with it, so if you want to sit at your desk by yourself and dry vape, this isn't the one I would recommend.
    GrilledGoat and 215z like this.
  4. invertedisdead

invertedisdead Beware of Pizza

This is why I want a Lotus. I miss that intimate feeling of packing a bowl and sitting down with a pipe and a lighter, jamming some tunes and taking a puff to ease into. Where I don't have to be sitting at my desk or work a temperature control or suck on a whip.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors