Heatsinks, etc.

Deleted Member 1643

Clean dab rig weekly. ISO + salt for the pipe. This time, soaked reclaimer in EtOH, rather than heat. (Stoner moment: spilled a bit on outside.) Soaked heatsink in ISO, one hour, room temp.

Noticed hard buildup in heatsink, also around glass joint under it. Caused by concentrate? Or is it the heatsink, supplied with D-Nail slim kit?

Bemoaning skyrocketing tolerance. Chipped build-up away - mind blown, as desired. :whoa: "Tolerance" = hard build-up, resulting constricted flow?

Hopefully, captured most cannabinoids in copious and inoffensive reclaim. How to avoid: trouble-free heatsinks or better concentrates? (Vaped all sorts of experimental preps.)

Deleted Member 1643,
Reactions: herbivore21

herbivore21

Clean dab rig weekly. ISO + salt for the pipe. This time, soaked reclaimer in EtOH, rather than heat. (Stoner moment: spilled a bit on outside.) Soaked heatsink in ISO, one hour, room temp.

Noticed hard buildup in heatsink, also around glass joint under it. Caused by concentrate? Or is it the heatsink, supplied with D-Nail slim kit?

Bemoaning skyrocketing tolerance. Chipped build-up away - mind blown, as desired. :whoa: "Tolerance" = hard build-up, resulting constricted flow?

Hopefully, captured most cannabinoids in copious and inoffensive reclaim. How to avoid: trouble-free heatsinks or better concentrates? (Vaped all sorts of experimental preps.)
One solution to this hardened nasty build-up in the heatsink of the slim series base is to clean your nail/rig more frequently. I clean my nails and rigs daily or every two days at the latest. No nasty build-up no matter how many dabs are served on my nails ;)

IME, most people are also terrible at cleaning the main inner path of their nail going into the rig. For the d-nail slim series bases, the part where the worst buildup occurs is the heatsink as you say. On the Liger, this nasty buildup mostly occurs in the intake arm that connects the bucket to the tapered titanium base connecting to your rig. If you do not clean these frequently, you're going to get insane restriction, bad tasting vapor even from high end concentrates etc.

These gunkiest inner airpath components of enails need to be cleaned very aggressively. You should use iso and qtips (not ethanol, ethanol does not have strong enough solvent action to even begin to clean these components properly after a week's use) first to get the inner path as clean as possible, then soak in iso, then run cold water through until iso smell is gone, then hot water/steam. Repeat as often as necessary and be prepared to lightly torch (move the flame and never let it concentrate in one place, only use soft transparent edge of the flame, not the hard inner blue flame) the inner path until no vapor/smell comes off of it.

Every enail base has a component that gets gunked like this over time. The Liger intake gets more gunked than the d-nail slim series, although the worst inner vapor path I've seen on a nail base is definitely found on the infiniti threaded rod, which is colossal and whose inner threaded pattern provides copious surface area for reclaim to build up.

One of the reasons for the drastically shorter length of the intake on the slim series base vs Infiniti and others is because the d-nail guys were consciously trying to reduce this problem, which IME they succeeded in achieving compared to others.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 1643

I clean my nails and rigs daily or every two days at the latest.

You should use iso and qtips (not ethanol, ethanol does not have strong enough solvent action to even begin to clean these components properly after a week's use) first to get the inner path as clean as possible, then soak in iso, then run cold water through until iso smell is gone, then hot water/steam. Repeat as often as necessary and be prepared to lightly torch (move the flame and never let it concentrate in one place, only use soft transparent edge of the flame, not the hard inner blue flame) the inner path until no vapor/smell comes off of it.

@herbivore21, thou art a paragon of cannabis virtue. Is there no work-around for the more slothful?

Last edited:

herbivore21

@herbivore21, though art a paragon of cannabis virtue. Is there no work-around for the more slothful?
My thanks for the kind words my friend! Unfortunately, I've not found any better solution than this yet. You've got the best nail available for avoiding this issue already so I'm afraid the only way out of this problem that I know of is more frequent cleaning. :peace:

herbivore21

A hot soak in DC Clear and cleaning with a q-tip gets mine cleaned up without much effort, a pipe cleaner is good for any hard bits too.
I had this in mind as well as I wrote my above post, this would definitely work well! I find that pipe cleaners do not get all of the stubborn residue out, but they'll definitely get the lion's share of it ;) If you then hot soak in cleaning liquid as above that should get the rest. The key is to check, thoroughly after every clean. If there is any residue, more cleaning required...

Your mention of DC glass cleaner reminded me of bubbleman so much lol

herbivore21,
Reactions: Monsoon
Top Bottom