Heartburn and marijuana consumption

weedemon

enthusiast
Hey fellow FC members!

I just wanted to ask you guys a question regarding a health concern i am having.

First off some background information.

Growing up, i ate pretty healthy, but i also ate lots of snacks and stuff i shouldn't have. what kid doesn't? :p
I never really had any issues with heartburn.

then I finished high school and went away to uni. there i became an everyday smoker, and my eating habits changed because there was no one to tell me what to eat. I made a lot of poor food choices and suffered from heartburn. I knew it was the food, but i continued to eat like this for the rest of the year and got heartburn.

a year later I changed my eating habits and began to eat better foods. the heartburn also got better unless i found myself eating late at night. this is pretty much a guaranteed way for me to get heartburn.

a few year later, my heartburn got a lot worse. I went to the hospital and they good blood work (for h.pylori), came back negative. then an upper GI tract barium swallow. Turns out the valves i have don't form a seal when i turn on a 45 degree angle while on my sides.

Also, stress and anxiety can also trigger heartburn for me.

anyways bottom line is: I am sensitive to heartburn and get it frequently.

OK, tha'ts a lot of info and i bet you are asking, how does any of this relate to weed? here is what's going on lately.

3 months ago i completely switched over to vaporization only. the active ingredients in marijuana are actually an acid themselves right? now my heartburn has been considerably worse the last 2 months. granted, stress from finishing up my last term of college, and the need to find a job isn't helping. i have found though that when i have heartburn and have a session my heartburn tends to feel worse, or if nothing else persist. I have been an everyday user for over 10 years now. marijuana helps me with tons of things, and i am just wondering if it has any chance of causing me additional heartburn?

upon doing a lil research i found a few posts of others saying hte same thing, asking if smoking/vapin can irritate heartburn, but i also found this: (maybe it's bunk govt anti marijuana research or maybe there is something to it?)

"Heavy marijuana use can boost blood levels of a
particular alkaline buffering protein, indicating
a rising risk factor for an acidic heart attack or
stroke, U.S. government researchers said on Tuesday.

Dr. Jean Lud Cadet of the National Institute on
acidic Drug Abuse, part of the National Institutes
of Health, said the findings point to another example
of long-term harm from marijuana. But marijuana
activists expressed doubt about the findings.

Cadet said a lot of previous research has focused
on the effects of marijuana or acid on the brain.
His team looked elsewhere in the body, measuring
blood protein levels in 18 long-term, heavy
marijuana users and 24 other people who did not
use the drug.
Levels of a protein called apolipoprotein C-III
were found to be 30 percent higher in the
marijuana users compared to the others. This
protein is involved in the body's metabolism or
chelation of triglycerides a type of an acidic
fat found in the blood and higher levels cause
increased levels of triglycerides (acid bound
fat), Cadet added.

Levels of a protein called apolipoprotein C-III
were found to be 30 percent higher in the
marijuana users compared to the others. This
fat), Cadet added.

According Dr. Young, "using marijuana for medicinal
purposes can only lead to increased systemic latent
tissue acidosis and the destruction of the alkaline
design of the body. Marijuana is acidifying to the
blood and tissues and therefore cannot bring balance,
harmony, energy or health to the body."

Source: http://articlesofhealth.blogspot.com/2008/05/smoking-marijuana-is-acid-forming-and.html

this makes me think maybe i'm on to something?

what do you think?

weedemon,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I'm not negating what the article states, or what you have found when you have a session. But, I have serious doubts that your heartburn is mj related. I would be more prone to believe that you may have developed GERD, also known as acid reflux, from what you are describing. This has become a very common ailment in our society, mostly due to our poor diet habits, but also, IMO, because of the increase of stress in our lives. In your case, you also have physiological reasons for your heartburn. Have you been put on any type of acid reducing medication for your symptoms? The fact that your stomach valve doesn't close entirely allows the stomach acids into your esophagus when you are lying down. This can lead to Barrett's Esophagus over time. I would check with your gastro doc and see if he recommends a daily dosage of something like Prilosec OTC to reduce the acid in your stomach. You may also need to change your sleeping habits to sleep in a more upright position.

momofthegoons,

weedemon

enthusiast
momofthegoons said:
Have you been put on any type of acid reducing medication for your symptoms? The fact that your stomach valve doesn't close entirely allows the stomach acids into your esophagus when you are lying down. This can lead to Barrett's Esophagus over time. I would check with your gastro doc and see if he recommends a daily dosage of something like Prilosec OTC to reduce the acid in your stomach. You may also need to change your sleeping habits to sleep in a more upright position.

thanks for the quick and insightful reply!

I haven't been to talk to him in over 3 years unfortunately. the case for me is my Dr. is nearly retired, and been given administrative power which he is happier doing that actually being a Dr anymore.I know this because my dad bitches about catching his mistakes and neglect in patients he sees coming from him. My father is also a Dr and close colleague with my Dr. but i can't talk to my dad about it because he ate a brownie in college and had a bad trip, so now "(illegal)drugs are bad". He knows i use, but we just pretend we don't know.

Basically what im trying to say is he has given up, and I have no faith in his diagnosis.

I was on Prilosec back then actually. it worked, but i don't like the idea of being a slave to pills; angry thoughts and feelings towards anti depressants here, but i am firm in belief that we need to solve the cause not the symptoms with a pill approach. I just wish there was something better i could do. maybe I need to go back on them. :(

weedemon,

Nycdeisel

I have the same sort of anti drug approach for the most part, always trying to avoid taking pills and legal medications especially prescriptions, but that OTC medication mentioned above can help in varying degrees, and according to my Dr, could slowly cut back on it gradually and see how you feel at that point at that you could completely go off them if you weened yourself off of it slowly, but that if the condition comes up again, to start taking it again.

I have been noticing lately, missing the days I take that OTC drug, that when I use it does seem to bother me considerably more. not sure why that is exactly, I have seen and heard about studies showng cannabis to help heartburn

I would be interested in more information though, but none of that crap that ends with 'showing that marijuana has no medicinal value' because that is definitely not true!

Nycdeisel,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
I can understand your reluctance to start on a pill regime. You could certainly change your diet and try papaya enzyme which also neutralizes stomach acids to some extent. You can get this (also in pill form) from health food stores. How it will work depends on how much acidity is in your stomach. Because of your valve condition, it may not be enough.

Continuing to do nothing should not be an option. I don't want to freak you out, but continued stomach acid in the esophagus can lead to serious complications over time, including esophageal cancer. My first advice would be to see a gastroenterologist.

momofthegoons,

luchiano

Like others stated I don't know if it's cannabis that's causing the problems themselves but the vapor itself may be making the problem worse by drying your upper respiratory tract and not the cannabis itself. This would mean this part of your body would need more mucus to calm the inflammation and this means your stomach lining will have less of it because something is causing inflammation that your doing and I doubt it's the cannabis. It's most likely diet related.

Just get some Psyllium husk and/or aloe vera gel fillet juice. Make sure you get the fillet juice and not the whole leaf juice because it's the fillet juice that is really what does the job. It coats the inside of the tract to keep inflammation low. As an added bonus it also help nutrients stay it your system longer which means a longer and better high. An examaple is vitamin C which stays in your system for 24 hours as opposed to a few hours tops without the aloe vera juice and fat soluble nutrients get absorbed better and last longer also than if they were taken without the aloe vera juice such as vitamin e.

The psyllium husk will coat the outside tract and keep food from irritating it as they touch it. Whenever I ate something that gave me a little heartburn the psyllium husk has gotten rid of it but I don't get that anymore. Go to gnc and get there psyllium husk because it blends really good with liquids but make sure you get the unflavored because you get more for your money and you just have to mix it with orange juice to take away the flavor. Also make sure you put the powder in slowly by shaking it in from left to right or right to left and stir for around 10 secs., stop let it settle and do this another two times. I do this so it can mix in with the liquid instead of congealing and being stuck to the spoon or not mixing that good. If you have a wand mixer that you can hold in your hand and fit's your glasses then that is better than hand mixing. Mix and drink fast because the longer you let it sit the thicker it gets and if you add more than recommended it will get thick real fast. Whatever you do don't buy the pills because you wont get the maximum benefit as you would mixing it with liquid directly. Get it only if you have to.

Also drink both right after or right before you eat your meal preferably your breakfast so the rest of the day the meals won't cause problems and take them before you eat you dinner so when you relax the food won't cause problems also be prepared to take big shit in the morning.

Check this site to find out where you can get there Aloe vera gel fillet juice in your area:
http://www.lilyofthedesert.com/where_to_buy

luchiano,

djonkoman

I don't know about heartburn and cannabis, but I found one weird sentence in the article
'This
fat), Cadet added.'

altough triglicerides indeed contain acids, triglycerides arren't special fatparticles, it's very regular fat(one glycerol bound to 3 fatty acids, the acidgroup(carboxygroup in englishI just read) of the fatty acid is bount to the hydroxy(alcohol) group of the glycerol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triglyceride

Reducing triglyceride levels
Diets high in carbohydrates, with carbohydrates accounting for more than 60% of the total caloric intake, can increase triglyceride levels.[3] Of note is how the correlation is stronger for those with higher BMI (28+) and insulin resistance (more common among overweight and obese) is a primary suspect cause of this phenomenon of carbohydrate-induced hypertriglyceridemia.[4]
There is evidence that carbohydrate consumption causing a high glycemic index can cause insulin overproduction and increase triglyceride levels in women.[5]
Adverse changes associated with carbohydrate intake, including triglyceride levels, are stronger risk factors for heart disease in women than in men.[6]
Triglyceride levels are also reduced by exercise, omega-3 fatty acids from fish, flax seed oil, and other sources. Recommendation in the U.S. is that one ingest up to 3 grams a day of such oils. It has been found that residents in Western countries do not ingest sufficient quantity of food with omega-3. In Europe, the recommendation is for up to 2 grams. However, omega-3 consumption should be balanced with omega-6 fatty acids, in a ?-6/?-3 ratio between 1:1 and 4:1 (i.e., no more than four grams omega-6 for every one of omega-3).[7][8]
Carnitine has the ability to lower blood triglyceride levels.[9] In some cases, fibrates have been used to bring down triglycerides substantially.[10]
Heavy use of alcohol can elevate triglycerides levels.[11
Metabolism

The enzyme pancreatic lipase acts at the ester bond, hydrolysing the bond and "releasing" the fatty acid. In triglyceride form, lipids cannot be absorbed by the duodenum. Fatty acids, monoglycerides (one glycerol, one fatty acid), and some diglycerides are absorbed by the duodenum, once the triglycerides have been broken down.
See also: fatty acid metabolism
Triglycerides, as major components of very-low-density lipoprotein (VLDL) and chylomicrons, play an important role in metabolism as energy sources and transporters of dietary fat. They contain more than twice as much energy (9 kcal/g or 38 kJ/g ) as carbohydrates and proteins. In the intestine, triglycerides are split into monoacylglycerol and free fatty acids in a process called lipolysis, with the secretion of lipases and bile, which are subsequently moved to absorptive enterocytes, cells lining the intestines. The triglycerides are rebuilt in the enterocytes from their fragments and packaged together with cholesterol and proteins to form chylomicrons. These are excreted from the cells and collected by the lymph system and transported to the large vessels near the heart before being mixed into the blood. Various tissues can capture the chylomicrons, releasing the triglycerides to be used as a source of energy. Fat and liver cells can synthesize and store triglycerides. When the body requires fatty acids as an energy source, the hormone glucagon signals the breakdown of the triglycerides by hormone-sensitive lipase to release free fatty acids. As the brain cannot utilize fatty acids as an energy source (unless converted to a ketone), the glycerol component of triglycerides can be converted into glucose, via glycolysis by conversion into Dihydroxyacetone phosphate and then into Glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate, for brain fuel when it is broken down. Fat cells may also be broken down for that reason, if the brain's needs ever outweigh the body's.
Triglycerides cannot pass through cell membranes freely. Special enzymes on the walls of blood vessels called lipoprotein lipases must break down triglycerides into free fatty acids and glycerol. Fatty acids can then be taken up by cells via the fatty acid transporter (FAT).

djonkoman,

weedemon

enthusiast
sorry djonkoman, you have gone over my head with that info there.

@ luchiano, that sounds interesting, and very alternative medicine. I will have to look into it. I am up to try things once im comfortable with the info. cheers!

@ momofthegoons, my mom also recommended papya, I think I may try this suggestion first! but I think you are right, it if continues I should see another doctor. Being a pot smoker for a longtime. I would hate to hear i have given myself cancer or something! :uhoh:

@ Nycdeisel, i will haveto continue my search for this info about it helping.

i was a little suspicious of the source of my link too, so I wanted to be sure i commented about that.

weedemon,

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
weedemon said:
momofthegoons said:
Have you been put on any type of acid reducing medication for your symptoms? The fact that your stomach valve doesn't close entirely allows the stomach acids into your esophagus when you are lying down. This can lead to Barrett's Esophagus over time. I would check with your gastro doc and see if he recommends a daily dosage of something like Prilosec OTC to reduce the acid in your stomach. You may also need to change your sleeping habits to sleep in a more upright position.

thanks for the quick and insightful reply!

I haven't been to talk to him in over 3 years unfortunately. the case for me is my Dr. is nearly retired, and been given administrative power which he is happier doing that actually being a Dr anymore.I know this because my dad bitches about catching his mistakes and neglect in patients he sees coming from him. My father is also a Dr and close colleague with my Dr. but i can't talk to my dad about it because he ate a brownie in college and had a bad trip, so now "(illegal)drugs are bad". He knows i use, but we just pretend we don't know.

Basically what im trying to say is he has given up, and I have no faith in his diagnosis.

I was on Prilosec back then actually. it worked, but i don't like the idea of being a slave to pills; angry thoughts and feelings towards anti depressants here, but i am firm in belief that we need to solve the cause not the symptoms with a pill approach. I just wish there was something better i could do. maybe I need to go back on them. :(

I'm in a similar situation as you health wise....I have gerd, and take omeprazole (generic prilosec) for it, but don't want to lol...I used to take a few different pills for a few different things, anti depressants, etc...and came to the conclusion that pills for every ill wasn't gonna do it. I wanted to figure out why, and not just stop the pains, etc...since coming to that conclusion, i have replaced all but one of my meds with cannabis. The one pill i still take is omeprazole for the acid reflux....

I don't really have an answer for you i guess, except, its the one issue i have that i know why its there, and how to treat it. It seems that diet, and everything associated with diet has to do with acid reflux... As far as cannabis goes, I don't see it playing much of a factor either way. When i vape, it can irritate the symptoms, but by the end of the sesh, I generally forget about acid reflux, and whatnot...

Purpl3_Haz3,

Nosferatu

I get heartburn when I vape. Usually third hit my hearts poundin faster and faster and thats when it gets uncomfortable. I took a mini break and started using only the MFLB. But the most important thing that brought it to a stop was no longer buying top shelf. I got outdoor or mid shelf stuff and the problem left. Now only if I vape way too much or use top shelf do I get the heartburn again. Maybe your weeds just to potent for this time in your life?

Nosferatu,

weedemon

enthusiast
seriously eh? thats interesting man. i have some mids but i never wanna vape it cause i got so much other variety to pick from. :p

interesting theory. i should try vapin the mids for a week. it would prolly bring a tolerance down a bit too :p

weedemon,

Qbit

cannabanana
Nosferatu said:
I get heartburn when I vape. Usually third hit my hearts poundin faster and faster and thats when it gets uncomfortable. I took a mini break and started using only the MFLB. But the most important thing that brought it to a stop was no longer buying top shelf. I got outdoor or mid shelf stuff and the problem left. Now only if I vape way too much or use top shelf do I get the heartburn again. Maybe your weeds just to potent for this time in your life?

Heartburn is tp do with your stomach acids, not your heart.

Qbit,

Magic9

Plant Enthusiast
I have had heartburn before from smoking a lot. Pepsi and pepperoni do not help either. New to vaping so haven't really noticed an increase or decrease. I do wonder if nutrients have anything to do with it. I'd like to see a comparision of chemical vs. organic.

Magic9,

los

Nosferatu said:

i thought i was the only one lol, im gonna try some of your tips....thanks

los,
Top Bottom