Healthy Rosin for Amateurs

Nutron

Hi,

I like concentrates, but have always been worried about what goes into them.

I've been trying out making Rosin for a while and reading lots about it. I've been getting really good results recently with a particular method, which seems really healthy, even for the amateur, and just wanted to share it so I can help others who are interested in the health aspects.

If you want the short TLDR: Make rosin with bubble hash (its healthier) and use the left over Kief (which has terpenes still in it), to mix with the reclaim of your dab rig to make hash. Then perform rosin extraction again on the hash (reusing and creating a very potent form of rosin).

What goes beneath are just my opinions. These are not facts. Try these at your own risk.

My method:

Bubble hash - Ice o lator washed - I only buy the best bubble hash. Why? because you don't want to be inhaling the waxes from the plant (any chemist will tell you this) and you dont have to squash it as hard as flowers. The bubble hash has all the waxes washed away, and what you are left with is much healthier (I will never go back to flowers again). Since I have been using rosin with bubble hash, I can breathe easier. This has been really, really game changing for me, I can now vape as much as I want without any harsh effects.

Make rosin from the bubble hash using hair tongs and clamp method. However, just use any old clamp. Don't listen to those people that say you need some industrial clamp. I'm using a shitty £10 clamp and getting around 6 grams of rosin from 10 grams of bubble hash. Use crap hair tongs that have a digital display. Get used to heating it up and getting it to stick at 100 degrees celcius. I do this by heating it to around 80 and then turning it off. If it turn it back on/off for a moment I can see its at 100. Just warm the bubble for 30 seconds slowly squishing before you fully squish it. Remember less pressure is more with bubble. Just make the clamp go as far as you can with your hands. Dont squash the crap out of it, otherwise you will get loads of impurities, or may even break the coffee filter. Make sure to save (and grind) all of the left over kief from your rosin extraction - you will need this later.

Low temp dabs - I wait for 30 seconds for my titanium nail to cool down before dabbing. This creates loads of reclaim in the rig - no worries, save this for the next step.

When you have enough reclaim (I usually wait until 2 grams or so), just empty the bong and heat up the bottom where the reclaim is, with your blowtorch just for a few seconds. Then pour out the reclaim onto baking paper. Keep in the refrigerator for a while (if there are water bubbles in it just get a paper towel and push the corners of it into the bubbles to get the water out). If you want you can wait a few days for your reclaim to dry, up to you.

Next, get the left over kief from your rosin extraction and mix it with your reclaim. Mix enough to make a ball of hash. Make sure to do it at around 120-140 degrees celcius this time. There are terpenes left in the kief which make the reclaim smell amazing again. Do another rosin extraction on this hash. You have the most potent shit I have EVER vaped right there! face melting stuff...

Hope you enjoy it. It's saved me a lot of money and wasted time - and my health is way better too.

Much Love

Nutron

Last edited:

biohacker

Welcome to FC @Nutron ....Fantastic first post! I rarely consume flowers these days in favour of bubble and rosin, and have also seen tremendous health benefits and improvements in my life (without plant matter).

Curious though, why not a quartz or SiC nail for much better flavour and vaporization at lower effective temperatures? E-nail for total control?

I can already see that you will be a great asset to this forum and especially the concentrate arena! So welcome again and thanks for your contribution!

Gotta tag my hombre @invertedisdead on this one!

biohacker

but why not dab the bubble?

Because real true full melt is damn near impossible to find? I have some that is very close, but i'd still never dab it, only vape it.

For those that have access to BC Bubbleman quality full melt sifts, bubble, and templeballs, I salute you! :rockon:

Nutron

Thanks peeps. It's so nice to meet people on the same page.

Yes I do need a quartz nail, am about to get one now thanks for reminding me!

@Accept - I tried dabbing the hash first. However, I wouldn't recommend it. Even the slightest hair in my rosin nowadays causes me to have a sore throat - I have no tolerance towards impurities now. When I get only 6gs rosin out of 10gs of bubble (which is around the highest yield you can get I think), I realise that 4 gs of it is just hairs and impurities.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
Whats'up bro!! Nice first post and welcome to the forum! Just wanted to add my insight on a few things.

The bubble hash has all the waxes washed away, and what you are left with is much healthier (I will never go back to flowers again).

There are actually more waxes in bubble hash than any other form of concentrate. The waxes would technically be diluted when vaporizing flower, compared to bubble hash. When it comes to ice water hash, you aren't washing the wax away, you are using cold water to freeze the trichome stalk, so that the wax membrane coated resinous glandular trichome head may 'snap' off the stalk, and be separated and collected via mechanical separation.

I only buy the best bubble hash. Why? because you don't want to be inhaling the waxes from the plant (any chemist will tell you this)

This is a super popular debate in the community right now, and one I have personally been investigating thoroughly myself. Pressing bubble hash into rosin with a filter bag will strain some of those residual waxes and lipids no doubt, but this would be about the equivalent of filtering hydrocarbon extracts with a coffee filter. It still takes allotropic crystallization via winterization at cryogenic temperatures for a true, complete de-wax, like one would find in a distillate.

As far as increased smoothness, even during a "low temp" dab (which is dramatically higher when torched versus an e-nail) I believe dabbing an extract would expose these fats, waxes, and lipids to the most potential for thermal degradation, as they are being directly heated by conduction, and there is no plant material to buffer the load. It does not seem super reasonable that if waxes are the culprit, that concentrating them, and heating them directly, to higher temperatures ever used when vaporizing flower, would make for a smoother vaporization experience.

Though what you are doing when performing this concentration, is removing the exogenous plant matter which thermally degrades when vaporized. That would be the chlorophyll, starches, sugars, tannins, etc. IMO these are likely what is responsible for much of the harshness people experience when vaporizing dried herbs.

:2c: :peace:

mc

From experience, I would argue that there is less wax in bubble rosin than flower rosin. Based on the amount of reclaim after dabs. Bubble rosin is so clean, in fact I leave less residue than a lot of my shatters. It could be those shatters where not as dewaxed as possible, but I can show pictures of probably 12 different concentrates right now and show the reclaim from each one after a dab at the exact same (electrically controlled) temps.

Maybe I need to do this tonight. You know, for science.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
From experience, I would argue that there is less wax in bubble rosin than flower rosin. Based on the amount of reclaim after dabs. Bubble rosin is so clean, in fact I leave less residue than a lot of my shatters. It could be those shatters where not as dewaxed as possible, but I can show pictures of probably 12 different concentrates right now and show the reclaim from each one after a dab at the exact same (electrically controlled) temps.

Maybe I need to do this tonight. You know, for science.

Yeah there is generally less wax in bubble rosin, but the starting bubble hash is very waxy as its whole trichomes.

How would flower rosin look if you cleaned it up through a 25 micron screen?

mc

Yeah there is generally less wax in bubble rosin, but the starting bubble hash is very waxy as its whole trichomes.

How would flower rosin look if you cleaned it up through a 25 micron screen?

I honestly don't think the filter is stopping much wax, I feel like the wax gets melted and pushed out because the puck is really tight and hard after. I think rosin gets a lot of wax in the extraction no matter what filter you use. But I hope I'm wrong. The day I have enough material to test just that, I will. But it will require winterization and comparison of end results. Soo lots of work.

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
I honestly don't think the filter is stopping much wax, I feel like the wax gets melted and pushed out because the puck is really tight and hard after. I think rosin gets a lot of wax in the extraction no matter what filter you use. But I hope I'm wrong. The day I have enough material to test just that, I will. But it will require winterization and comparison of end results. Soo lots of work.

It's interesting, some hash rosins look like there is minimal wax, and others look as waxy as flower rosin, if not more.

I've seen people post some really translucent rosin online, though I haven't had a chance to try any of that stuff, like the 6 star presses and such.

My recent dry sift rosin looked waxy, although it seemed to swab away pretty clean? Maybe with less pressure it would retain more clarity?

H5YKDwn.jpg

mc

It's interesting, some hash rosins look like there is minimal wax, and others look as waxy as flower rosin, if not more.

I've seen people post some really translucent rosin online, though I haven't had a chance to try any of that stuff, like the 6 star presses and such.

My recent dry sift rosin looked waxy, although it seemed to swab away pretty clean? Maybe with less pressure it would retain more clarity?

Hmm tough call. I know fresh press both flower and sift/bubble will wax/butter/crumble a lot, so maybe it's capturing more wax than normal in those early stages? Cause old dry flower and bubble/sift are like glass. So maybe cure length has more to do with wax content then filtering. Or maybe they both matter, haha. That'll hurt testing.

Top Bottom