Multi-brand HEALTHY RIPS FURY

OF

I also think its ridiculous that we even have to make sure it doesnt reach a full charge, its VERY annoying.

You don't have to, right? You asked 'what's best', I gave the most concise (simple) answer I could. You should get at least 300 cycles (if you read the BU page you know what that means). Nearly a year of daily charges. If you're careful you can get twice or 3 times that easily enough. Every time you stop 10% 'early' (half a session) you 'get the next cycle free' basically. Do it half the time, you can still double the battery lifespan.

When you do wear it out, HR will swap for a new unit for 1/2 the then selling price as I recall.

It's your call, the advice is free.

Regards to all.

OF

hinglemccringleberry

You don't have to, right? You asked 'what's best', I gave the most concise (simple) answer I could. You should get at least 300 cycles (if you read the BU page you know what that means). Nearly a year of daily charges. If you're careful you can get twice or 3 times that easily enough. Every time you stop 10% 'early' (half a session) you 'get the next cycle free' basically. Do it half the time, you can still double the battery lifespan.

When you do wear it out, HR will swap for a new unit for 1/2 the then selling price as I recall.

Regards to all.

OF
I understand, but one thing I dont get is how using the vape right after bringing to a full charge will preserve the battery in the same way that stopping at 90% will. If you bring it to 100% you done fucked up, doesnt matter what you do afterwards lol.
Unless youre saying its worse for the vape to be stored at 100% charge than it is to be stored at a 90% charge?

Last edited:

OF

Unless youre saying its worse for the vape to be stored at 100% charge than it is to be stored at a 90% charge?

It's best avoided, of course, but otherwise time and temperature do damage. Simply storing at full charge is a problem. I'm sure you know of a cell phone or laptop that no longer 'holds a charge' but used to be sitting on the charger all the time so 'it's ready to go'? Now you know why.

This is why you should always get new Li-ions at about the 2/3 or 3/4 charge point. Makers know this property as well. If some picky nerd type (say your author......) were to test it after half a year or more 'sitting around' it'd be likely 'under capacity' and need replacing under warranty.

For another data point, the military often specifies 3.95 Volts not the 'industry standard' 4.20 even though the custom circuits (I couldn't find any commercial grade charge ICs at that voltage, only mil spec parts at big bucks.....all surface mount parts as well, a true PITA) raise the price and lower battery time between charges. But they see it as a small price to pay for not having to replace battery packs in the field.

Sales, of course, maintains that pushing it as far as possible without killing it under warranty is necessary to get sales. They're no doubt right.

Regards to all.

OF

Edit:

True?
I dont know.
I try to stop a few moments after the third bar has stopped blinking.

Lets ask @OF

If you really want to impress the guys in the cheap seats, you can order yourself a 'USB Meter' like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-Mul...055552&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=usb+tester&psc=1

Not only does it show the current delivery but the integrated charge (total current per second summed up). This means you can watch the current 'fall off' as it reaches the 90% point as described on BU. The integrated current (reported in mAh no less) tells you how many mAh you replace and can therefore draw out making lovely vapor.

There are lots of variation on these meters, some don't integrate, some store fancy graphs and have fancy displays. But having one 'in line' with your charger cord can answer a lot of questions.

OF

Lets ask @OF[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

Regards to all.

OF

Just to be clear....Are you saying that after fully charging the device 300 times it won't hold a charge anymore?

OF

Just to be clear....Are you saying that after fully charging the device 300 times it won't hold a charge anymore?

No, the capacity drops off until you get pissed off and buy another......which some might say Sales likes? BU covers this in pretty simple terms on the page I cited above.

A 'slippery slope' deal, something like cars? Take good care and they usually last long enough we get bored and trade them in? 300 cycles is what 'the industry' decided on. FWIW the popular 18650 cells (used in most vapes, laptops and so on) are really intended for electric cars. Your Tesla has a bunch of them in huge packs with built in electronics. There they are seriously derated WRT capacity (about half what we use) due to the sever service they live with (heat, vibration, etc). And they give less that 300 cycles still.......

I would like to book a lecture on "the smart way to charge your vapes in the long run" by Prof.Dr. @OF

Cool by me. I'm retired now, but my credential is lifetime (and I think I pass as still being alive.....) so we can even charge for it!!!

Then we use the money for some of those lovely herbs on that top shelf for break time (legal in California now.....), and maybe some beers.

And some single malt, of course. Historically necessary if we really are going to solve the problems of this troubled world.

We can do this....... We could do it at @ataxian's place. Best to wait until spring, too cold to use his pool now you know.

OF

MonkeyTime

No, the capacity drops off until you get pissed off and buy another......which some might say Sales likes? BU covers this in pretty simple terms on the page I cited above.

A 'slippery slope' deal, something like cars? Take good care and they usually last long enough we get bored and trade them in? 300 cycles is what 'the industry' decided on. FWIW the popular 18650 cells (used in most vapes, laptops and so on) are really intended for electric cars. Your Tesla has a bunch of them in huge packs with built in electronics. There they are seriously derated WRT capacity (about half what we use) due to the sever service they live with (heat, vibration, etc). And they give less that 300 cycles still.......

Cool by me. I'm retired now, but my credential is lifetime (and I think I pass as still being alive.....) so we can even charge for it!!!

Then we use the money for some of those lovely herbs on that top shelf for break time (legal in California now.....), and maybe some beers.

And some single malt, of course. Historically necessary if we really are going to solve the problems of this troubled world.

We can do this....... We could do it at @ataxian's place. Best to wait until spring, too cold to use his pool now you know.

OF

You had me at single malt!

shredder

After having the same mighty, four years now, and using it daily over that time. I've left it on the charger overnight most of the time ive charged it. And charged it whenever it was convenient. After all that I treat the fury 2 the same way, and don't expect problems.

I know what @OF is saying, but I'm a rebel, lol. Convenience is just a bigger factor than max battery life for me. Ymmv

OF

I know what @OF is saying, but I'm a rebel, lol. Convenience is just a bigger factor than max battery life for me. Ymmv

Hey, your call. And I'll make the argument that you're going to run a much larger value of herb through it than the cost of use. Even annual replacement at list prices is a small cost. Some of us enjoy making the most of the technology of course, which also has personal value not all will share.

The decision on what to buy and how to use it is up to the owner......it's just that I think it should be an informed decision? In the end you buy and use a vape for enjoyment, not obsessing over details?

Best wishes to all.

OF

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
I’m with @shredder . It’s all about convenience. The thought of having to monitor when to start and stop charging makes me very un-vapy. When it dies, I charge it. When I wake up, I unplug it.
And as I have mentioned before, after a year of using and abusing the battery, I still get 7-8 sessions from one charge, which is plenty for me. If I need more battery life, I just use something else.

LesPlenty

Company Rep
Convenience is just a bigger factor than max battery life for me.
Me too, I did, however, take OF's advice and took the batteries out of my laptops and they are sitting at 70% charge waiting for me to ever use them unplugged.:tup:

Is the Fury 2 known to be pretty accurate with temps?
By my scientific look at the ABV, it seems about right.:science:

OF

Of course I understand it's not convenient to hang around watching your Fury charge. This topic comes up, in fact 'we discussed it' in this very thread a bit ago (almost exactly a month):
http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/healthy-rips-fury.24408/page-126#post-1314907

The link to the 'gadget' I built 'in the day' for Solo is goofed up by Imgur, but this link seems to show it, at least for now:
https://imgur.com/vMEGl5W

I built a dozen or so units a few years back, some prototypes and two different PCB 'beta test units'. Several of the usual suspects around FC got them, @ataxian is willing to admit it still. They originally were made for 12 Volts but I've modified and used them at 9 Volts (fairly common actually)) and at 5 Volts for Fury and others that use 'USB charging"........so for me it's really very easy to do. And 20 minutes or so faster than waiting for the last 10% of the charge (which happens at an increasingly slower rate. Just plug it in and push the button. You even get a 'beep' (actually 3 in the current version) when done.

How it works is described in the FC link above, as well as the dozen or more times I've posted about it. Do a search on posts with 'gadget' in them by me?

Handy little gadget, really. Too bad you don't have one, I bet you'd use it?

OF

Jill NYC

Portable Hoarder
This topic comes up, in fact 'we discussed it' in this very thread a bit ago (almost exactly a month):
Definitely a little deja vu -y.

Handy little gadget, really. Too bad you don't have one, I bet you'd use it?
I’m not sure who “you” is, but it most certainly sounds like it would be handy to have around.
And if the Fury was my only vape, I would be more diligent with my charging regimen. Luckily I have the luxury (and VAS) of having several to rotate through, so I can be lazy.

Ramahs

Fucking Combustion (mostly) Since February 2017
Mehh. My Fury 2 usually charges overnight.
I wouldn't leave my battery full for any extended period of time. However, it's more important to never let it sit empty for any extended period of time. That's how you kill a battery instantly.

But, if I knew I wouldn't be using it for a while, leaving it at about a half-charge, and topping it up a bit every month or two as the battery naturally drains would be best.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
O-ring/screen cleaning update: i removed screens from two rings and gave them an ISO bath. Simple. I did almost have a hiccup putting one back in where the screen wasn’t in the track properly but some stretching and prodding got it back in. A dishwasher run can’t be ruled out in the future. I have 4 of these so they will be kept as clean as possible - and I’ll try not to grind too fine but my flower isn’t that fine to begin with. Just obtained a wonderful Indica (Vanilla Kush) over the weekend and did a courser grind than usual keeping this in mind about keeping the screen cleaner.

@OF Thanks for the battery tips! Similar to what is said about cell phone batteries. I’m more in the convenience camp as some others have stated but will try to stop charging before 100% if possible. I’d rather the unit monitor my discharge capacity than me monitor the charging. It’s a two way street and I’ll stay on my side of the road :) :peace:

Last edited:

Petrolhead

Dear HR remember this: must update for this item in next generation and nothing else, the option to charge it when you use it ! With friends this item is a monster but without battery is problem when you have to try 4 varieties x 3 sessions for 3 peoples...
About cleaning I'm using a 99% alcohol, cleaning programm after 5 days of use...

Graphic2.jpg

I feel it does not close as before in "click" after this accident one day. :rant:

hinglemccringleberry

Is the Fury 2 known to be pretty accurate with temps? ie what you see on the display is pretty close to the actual temp?
When I start a session at @ 325F, I get visible vapor (as long as the ambient temperature isn't too low). Sometimes it's surprising how much vapor I get at that temp, it's not just some super whispy fog, it's more like a very visible cloud. That has always made me wonder if the F2 reads lower than it really is at the low end of the temp range. Does anyone know what temp starts producing vapor from cannabis flower? And why so many other vapes fail to produce any vapor at 325F?

Last edited:

OF

@OF Thanks for the battery tips! Similar to what is said about cell phone batteries.

You're welcome. No surprise the same things apply with cell phones, wanna guess what kinda batteries they use? I suspect the same applies to your Tesla?

Dear HR remember this: must update for this item in next generation and nothing else, the option to charge it when you use it ! With friends this item is a monster but without battery is problem when you have to try 4 varieties x 3 sessions for 3 peoples...

Not really a party vape, more of a personal unit? FIERCE, I think, is a better choice for that sort of duty.

Noooo not the dreaded charge while use option.(the battery killer)

Exactly so. This is not a cell phone (which uses less power than the charger can supply so the battery still charges) but a device where the charger can't fully support heating so the poor dead battery gets beat into the ground over and over and over. Not good, which is why the designers disabled this so obviously useful option? Blocking it is much harder to do than ignoring it and allowing it to happen.

A good clue is any unit that takes longer to charge than discharge? That indicates 'pass through' is not really possible.

OF

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Is the Fury 2 known to be pretty accurate with temps? ie what you see on the display is pretty close to the actual temp?

I did this about a year ago. The short answer is, imo, 'yes'.

I've been playing with temp test lately and this one is up next!

Here's my temp placement. The silicone gasket made it easy to install without messing up the screen. This felt to me like it was in the lower half of the bowl near the center of the load of abv.

xbXyM1l.jpg

First graph is a sit test. I didn't make note of the probe temp when the Fury 2 got to 390, and I should have. My money is on 200F, though, since it looks like it on the graph and that's what it did in the usage test later on. Anyhow, here it is:

foDbhuj.jpg

The unit ramped up to 200 in the bowl quickly while the heater got to 390, at which point it stabilized for a little bit before a steady climb up to about 330F in the bowl, I assume due to radiant heat. It stabilized here, more or less, for the last 90ish seconds of the session before shutting off. It took about two and a half minutes to cool down to 200F.

Here's the actual session test in real world settings with a bowl of herb set to 390. It was a casual session with four hits. Here's the chart:

WXmopfh.jpg

• Again, the unit got to 200F in the bowl when it registered 390 on the display, so I hit it like normal.
  • The temp shot up to 370 over the duration of my strong 15 second draw, at which point it started slowly dropping down to 340 when I started my second hit.
  • The second hit started out slowly to see how it would react, and the two bumps at the top are where I huffed harder on it, so the Fury 2 compensates pretty quickly to dropping temp during a draw.
  • In my third draw it compensated three times during my draw.
  • The last draw was started with 6 seconds on the timer, so it's essentially a cool down hit.
So, it looks to me like the Fury 2 operates a lot like the Mighty, which in normal use is a full convection hit on the first draw followed by later hits that are mostly radiant and conduction heat with a slight boost from convection air. In the sit test the Mighty was slower to get to the highest temp, but it was a higher temp than the Fury was when sitting still. I think I'm going to find over time that this is the most common heat profile for all these hybrids.

And for shits and giggles I ran the session test (I'm starting to call these sit tests and session tests) with the glass wpa and got a pretty similar curve except for the extra hit.

XNk7oEm.jpg

One thing to note is the graphs aren't to identical scales. It changes based on how much data and whether or not I mess with it any. I try to keep them as similar as I can. For instance, this session had an extra hit in it, even though it was the same time frame as the previous one, so I pulled it out a bit so it wasn't getting compressed. If that's erroneous, let me know and I'll come up with a standard to apply to them all.

Top Bottom