Discontinued Healthy Rips FIERCE

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
Hi All! Thank you for all the valuable initial feedback on our FIERCE - it is very much appreciated. The feedback we have received is overwhelmingly positive - although we did read a couple of posts here and were contacted about a smell/taste potentially caused by the EVA foam packaging? (That we are changing in our current production run). This will dissipate rapidly as all/most new electronics have a factory smell for a couple of days as @OF wisely described in his post here:
I suggest having a little faith here. Smells are very subjective, some few seem to find it objectionable with every vape?

We don't have any experiences on FIERCE yet, at least not enough to be basing decisions on. Lots of products packaged in die cut foam have that 'new sneakers smell' out of the box, but like things from a household with a heavy cigarette smoker, such things 'air out' over time (after all the smell got on the surfaces through the air, right? Given the maker, I seriously doubt any problems for the vast majority of owners (as it should be lest HR go broke covering all the returns?).

And don't pay serious attention to 'robo-fart' and other glib descriptions of 'new product smells'. Many new products smell on first heating (toasters and hair dryers come to mind). It's not a literal fart smell from a robot with indigestion you know.......perhaps more along the lines of 'a smell I can't identify and don't like'?

Not to worry. Open up your box, charge it fully before first use, clean/wash what you can, do a couple of burn offs at maximum temperature (until you're comfortable), load it up and make up your own mind? In the end your opinion is the only one that really counts.......

OF

We want to assure you that the air path is made entirely of medical-grade stainless steel and is completely isolated from the electronics with a high-temp, food-grade silicone seal at the bottom intake hole. I.e., the stainless steel chamber is machine pressed onto the stainless steel tube forming a single piece. The silicone seal is sandwiched between the stainless steel tube and the inside body of the unit at the intake hole, completely isolating the air path from the electronics.

Please let us know if you have any other questions :).

Healthy Rips Team
https://www.healthyrips.com

OF

The smell is very distinct like solder not plastic and I can only smell it when it's heated. This is what worries me.

Interesting. 'Smells like solder'? But solder doesn't smell (vapor pressure of Lead is trivial even molten, Tin less even), perhaps the smell you cite is from the flux used? The same sort of alloy is used in bullet casting and Linotype, only at much higher temperatures without such issues??

One of the common sources of heat related smells is the adhesive used on the high temperature tape sometimes used to make oven assemblies. This has been a 'sometimes' problem with several of the FMs in the past. Eventually it goes away, one of the reasons guys look for sealed vapor paths. One way to test for this is to plug in inlet with your finger and suck. My F2 leaks a tiny bit in this test, other owners claim theirs don't.

While each guy and each unit are different cases, I'm looking forward to mine getting here so I can check this out.

OF

wx6896

Thanks for all the replies! I'm only a computer engineer, so I don't know the components of solder, just the smell when heated and that it connects parts I want to touch :p. But that is the smell that first came to mind. I hope everyone is right and it will dissapate, I just wanted to be sure it was what everyone else was experiencing cause I definitely get enough solder fumes in the lab lmao. Healthy Rips' reply was helpful and I'll continue to test and decide if I'm comfortable with it or not later. I've got it airing out with a fan at home, not sure if that will help or not, but can't hurt.

wx6896

Alright, so I left it in front of the fan for a few hours on high, mouth piece off, chamber facing into the fan. The smell is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced when hot. Taking a pull with nothing in the chamber tasted VERY slightly like plastic. I would compare it to drinking warm water out of a plastic water bottle. Very slightly plastic-y but seems clean to me. Gonna go test it lightly with some friends.

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
@HealthyRips.com My Fierce definitely still has noticeable airflow if I pull on it while blocking the inlet with my finger. Heavily restricted, but definitely there. Is this normal?
Hi! Thank you for the question! Air will pass through the least point of resistance. If you plug the intake hole and then pull on the unit, this could cause abnormal airflow from somewhere other than where it is supposed to come through. With an unblocked intake - you would not be getting airflow from anywhere but the intake.

If you have any other questions or concerns - feel free to email us: healthyrips@gmail.com

All the Best!
Healthy Rips Team

Azn2101

I bought the F2 capsules for my Snap (Fury clone) and they're awesome - for quick swaps and on-the-go- but do reduce the amount of material you can have for a load. I would think another layer of metal between the material and the chamber falls into the conductive category but, again, I'm not an expert or engineer.

As for adjusting temps and methodology, I usually keep it at one temp with or without dosing capsules, and I've increased the temp just a bit with the capsules. It really depends on material and preference. I don't chase clouds like many of you do so I'm usually around 365-375 most of the time, without (mostly) and with capsules. And my Snap is way better than my Hopper however I do think I'm using about the same amount of herb in each. By looks alone their chamber capacities are similar (I'd need to confirm and compare exact sizes). Happy vaping!

Ok, yeah im following the logic. Im not exactly a cloud chaser but I do hold some of my inhales in for 5-10 seconds (Not because it "gets me higher" but sometimes it is more satisfying and again, sometimes on the back end of an exhale I get a really strong, distinct terp profile) and I too have started at 375-380 with the capsules, thank you for this, ill put it iny Memo of tips for my vapes.

Sorry, I can see why you didn't understand me.....this thing works!

It had 3 bars out of the box. I put it on the charger and within no time it was screen off, done charging. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, and it showed charging for a few minutes and stopped charging again, full again. I did this a few times, I think three and left it on for the rest of the three hours.

Then I played!

No extra door button here either, I think it was in my set.

Sorry man, sometimes I think too deeply about something. I thought you were saying that it came mostly charged, would say it was charges, but wouldn't fully Keep that 4 bar charge no matter how many times you unplugged it and plugged it back in. My bad man. But mine will say "Fully charged" and if you take it off the charger and but it back on it will continue to charge for another 12-15 mins. Is this abnormal?

OF

After using the vape a bit last night, the off taste is almost entirely gone pulling on it empty this morning. Seems like it should be gone entirely with another bowl or two.

That, I think is the usual experience? Not universal, of course, but what guys can expect?

Many/most of the surfaces that can contribute taste fairly quickly get coated by a layer of condensate. In hazards remediation this is called 'encapsulation'. Sometimes done in a formal manufacturing step and called 'passiviation', Glazing ceramic being an example. Stuff underneath simply can't get out through that layer.

Eventually all you can taste is what comes from prior sessions. Something like 'seasoning' a cast iron pan?

IMO most if not all residual junk left over from manufacture that can evaporate off does with burn offs, what little might be left gets sealed away, out of harm's way. Even if it was toxic (which I tend to not believe, at least in the conventional sense) we are safely isolated from whatever traces might remain.

Compared to blazing, I think we're 'plenty safe' from such threats for sure.

I'm looking forward to mine, hope most are now to the stage of enjoying theirs.

Regards to all.

OF

Cosmic Dude

Ok, yeah im following the logic. Im not exactly a cloud chaser but I do hold some of my inhales in for 5-10 seconds (Not because it "gets me higher" but sometimes it is more satisfying and again, sometimes on the back end of an exhale I get a really strong, distinct terp profile) and I too have started at 375-380 with the capsules, thank you for this, ill put it iny Memo of tips for my vapes.
Just to be clear, it is a famous myth that holding your breath after an inhale makes the hit more effective. In fact, actual research shows that holding your breath adds nothing - except - that the temporary oxygen deprivation affects your brain. So, due to the effect of the oxygen deprivation, stoners in earlier days assumed that holding your breath was causing more of the herb to enter the bloodstream, but research says no it does not.

We want to assure you that the air path is made entirely of medical-grade stainless steel and is completely isolated from the electronics with a high-temp, food-grade silicone seal at the bottom intake hole. I.e., the stainless steel chamber is machine pressed onto the stainless steel tube forming a single piece. The silicone seal is sandwiched between the stainless steel tube and the inside body of the unit at the intake hole, completely isolating the air path from the electronics.
So, the entire path is:
Chamber <-> Stainless Steel Tube <-> Silicone Seal <-> Intake Hole

Since the unit has convection, then where is the air getting heated ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cosmic Dude,
Reactions: Vaporific

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...

Sorry man, sometimes I think too deeply about something. I thought you were saying that it came mostly charged, would say it was charges, but wouldn't fully Keep that 4 bar charge no matter how many times you unplugged it and plugged it back in. My bad man. But mine will say "Fully charged" and if you take it off the charger and but it back on it will continue to charge for another 12-15 mins. Is this abnormal?
Glad I helped a bit. I’m a relatively new vapist, almost 3 years and have only had a few devices the latter of which had precise temp controls. From what I’ve read herein and on other threads, many up the temp during sessions however I usually stay constant with it. With the dosing capsules though, there’s more metal and potential heat resistance with it so bumping up the the temp a bit may help. It’s all individual preference however and some trial and error until one finds optimal temps and methods for their liking.:peace:

Just to be clear, it is a famous myth that holding your breath after an inhale makes the hit more effective. In fact, actual research shows that holding your breath adds nothing - except - that the temporary oxygen deprivation affects your brain. So, due to the effect of the oxygen deprivation, stoners in earlier days assumed that holding your breath was causing more of the herb to enter the bloodstream, but research says no it does not.
I wonder if you’re debunking considers combustion vs vaping? While I don’t categorically disagree with you, I’m not certain it’s true in all cases. As someone who has combusted for most of 35 years until recently, I think holding a hit during combustion has positive implications. However I don’t want to raise a ruckus here about it. :peace::peace:

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
So, the entire path is:
Chamber <-> Stainless Steel Tube <-> Silicone Seal <-> Intake Hole

Since the unit has convection, then where is the air getting heated ?
Hi! Thank you for the question! The convection heating element heats the stainless steel tube and therefore heats the air as it passes through the tube prior to entering the chamber.

All the Best!
Healthy Rips Team

OF

Some fun discussion of hit 'holding times' going on. I'd like to add another element to the discussion and offer my opinions?

A missing and IMO supremely important factor is particle size. My understanding is while grossly large particles typically never make it out of most vapes (instantly become reclaim as they cool) those that do join the larger normal particles and get captured by mouth and throat and are typically swallowed. Much of this eventually makes it to the blood, but too late to be noticed or be of much use to us.

Those closer to 'ideal size', say from a few to 10 or so microns (thousandths of a mm), make it into the fine passages in the lungs are are subject to capture. Those still smaller (say micron and smaller) simply get exhaled out again, even if they contact a wall they are too small to 'stick'.

The forces that allow capture are firm and rapid in the right conditions. Holding a hit for a few seconds is more effective than one. "In and out" means blowing otherwise useful 'vapor' (it's not really, it's an aerosol) out before at least some of it gets captured. However, as the passages are small, and the attraction strong (remember the whole idea of lungs is to exchange single gas molecules) pat several seconds you're deep in diminishing returns land.

This leads up to what I think is a potentially huge area of progress......control of particle size. Having more of the 'ideal size' means more THC in the blood, less wasted. A more efficient vape. You put a smaller load in because a larger percentage will make it to the blood? ThermoVape was talking about looking into controlling this by other than the traditional 'cut and try' when they closed down. Particle size analysers , common enough gear, but it's expensive and takes skills to drive. Someday.......

Thanks for listening, now back to our regularly scheduled program.

OF

Hi! Thank you for the question! The convection heating element heats the stainless steel tube and therefore heats the air as it passes through the tube prior to entering the chamber.

This is important to us, a great design detail. But not, I think, for the reason most think. This heated air doesn't directly make vapor. It's not hot enough (has to be over magic temperature to give up heat and still be above say 400F).

However, by preheating air it doesn't 'rob' as much heat from the load as it would otherwise (has to be heated to vaping temperature to leave the system). That heat (in calories) can therefore be used to make more vapor for our enjoyment. This means the vapor is denser because of the feature, something I think we all appreciate?

OF

Last edited:

bossman

Gentleman Of Leisure
My Fierce was still kinda smelly last night for its second evening of use. It's definitely dissipating and I've been doing stuff to help it along.

I've used all the glass bundle accessories now and rate them in the most predictable order: wpa, bent stem, short stem, and then the lowly black mouthpiece.

For me, the triumph of the Fierce is its thoughtful evolution from the Fury 2...

Cons of the Fury 2:
* non-removable battery with poor battery life (granted it's a super small device)
* harsher, less flavorful vapor with the native mouthpiece as you push the temps up
* too much of a conduction heat profile given its marketing as a convection/hybrid
* can't edit the session timer

Pros of the Fury 2:
* super portable
* good vapor production at a range of temps
* good efficiency
* no stirring
* LED display with full temp control
* affordable price
* really versatile with the glass accessories and dosing capsules

So we give HR one year and they design the Fierce to address every area in the cons list and arguably finesses some extra credit from the pros list.

The improved vapor quality, convection experience, magnetic accessories adapter, the generous bowl size for the glass accessories, the USB C charging and extra battery option - they even made the temp buttons work better.

Imagine if the bigger manufacturers like Arizer and S&B got right back to work like that! It makes the ArGo look like a half-baked idea and the Mighty look like a classic car.

Azn2101

My Fierce died today at 12:29pm PST.

I pulled it off the charger on a full battery (had been there since the night before) and proceeded to power it on to reach the set temperature and when It reached said temp. (180°F) and I began inhaling only to feel that it was cooling like I was trying to chase a cloud or something. As I took it away from my face I noticed the unit wasn't powered on. After reading all the other false flags and trying the answers to those (removal of the battery for 30 seconds or more, charging in a warm envoirnment) I found nothing was helping. Before removing the battery for diagnostics the coin-screw was untouched because BornAgainSteama stated a lot of that manufacturer smell comes from that area. It hasn't been dropped or even let outside the house. No response to plugging back in to the charger either...

Am I the first Broken Unit?

wx6896

Brought the fierce to a friend's last night. We all loved it! I've only had experience with edibles before, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. We stayed at 400F the whole night cause we didn't really feel like messing with temp. No one complained about any smells or flavors after airing it out aggressively with the fan. It seems the longer you pull the denser (not just more vapor, more dense) the vapor (maybe this is obvious? Probably because the more air pulled through the more the chamber actually gets heated), but I couldn't even sense any harshness unless I pulled as long as possible. Friend was making fun of Vapes before. After the second hit he just smiled and said, "I gotta get one of those" :lol: Extremely happy with my decision to pre order even if I don't have anything to compare it to. Gets the job done with fantastic build quality.

koepen

SW1000R

I pulled it off the charger on a full battery (had been there since the night before) and proceeded to power it on to reach the set temperature and when It reached said temp. (180°F) and I began inhaling only to feel that it was cooling like I was trying to chase a cloud or something. As I took it away from my face I noticed the unit wasn't powered on. After reading all the other false flags and trying the answers to those (removal of the battery for 30 seconds or more, charging in a warm envoirnment) I found nothing was helping. Before removing the battery for diagnostics the coin-screw was untouched because BornAgainSteama stated a lot of that manufacturer smell comes from that area. It hasn't been dropped or even let outside the house. No response to plugging back in to the charger either...

Am I the first Broken Unit?

Seems like yours is the second defective unit...

@lilvaporub wrote about problems yesterday!?!?

Last edited:

Cosmic Dude

I wonder if you’re debunking considers combustion vs vaping? While I don’t categorically disagree with you, I’m not certain it’s true in all cases. As someone who has combusted for most of 35 years until recently, I think holding a hit during combustion has positive implications. However I don’t want to raise a ruckus here about it. :peace::peace:
Here is what I've read:
"A study from the University of Chicago in June of 1989 found that any THC inhaled into the lungs is absorbed into the bloodstream almost instantaneously. So in other words the time that it takes you to inhale deeply and then exhale is more than enough to get the chemical into your body. Holding your breath only actually deprives your brain of oxygen, making you feel light-headed and this lack of oxygen is what many confuse for the effects of getting higher. "

Cosmic Dude,
Reactions: Vaporific

Azn2101

Im debating even going for another one...if this turns into a fiasco like the 3 previous units (Digi Volcano, Terra, Grasshopper) I think im going to stay with my Mighty cause staying at 380°F 3 dosing capsules at the 7:30 second session timer left it at less than half life (when plugged baxk in was restoring/flashing 3 bars)

Me and a fellow FC member were going to Record our Skype to show were both doing the same thing) cause in his 3 capsules he was only restoring/flashing 2 bars and said it went up to 3 bars within 10 minutes as mine took 14 minutes under the approximate ~90 minute charge to go back to full while he counted 33:53 so 34 mins from a bit under 1 bar to full. I don't like the smell of the situation (play on words to the actual smell =p)

Here is what I've read:
"A study from the University of Chicago in June of 1989 found that any THC inhaled into the lungs is absorbed into the bloodstream almost instantaneously. So in other words the time that it takes you to inhale deeply and then exhale is more than enough to get the chemical into your body. Holding your breath only actually deprives your brain of oxygen, making you feel light-headed and this lack of oxygen is what many confuse for the effects of getting higher. "

If you read in my original message I stated that is was not to "Get me higher...on the exhale, sometimes I get a distinct terpy taste"

I said that as to not have this dispute spread like the cancer it is to each and every thread on EVERY Vaporization Forum and I don't think anyone's wrong or right here, its just a tread devoted to the Fierce Vaporization Unit.

HealthyRips.com

Healthy Rips Team
Company Rep
I pulled it off the charger on a full battery (had been there since the night before) and proceeded to power it on to reach the set temperature and when It reached said temp. (180°F) and I began inhaling only to feel that it was cooling like I was trying to chase a cloud or something. As I took it away from my face I noticed the unit wasn't powered on.
Hi! Here is the partial email that we sent to this client (personal information removed):
"We completely understand your concern. We have had thousands of our FURY and FURY 2 units out in our client's hands for 18 months plus, and have had less than a 1% defect rate. Our FIERCE is a brand new release that is an elaboration and improvement on our reliable FURY 2 platform. Although we have tested our FIERCE extensively for several months - we did not run into the issue you are describing. Once we have your defective unit back - we will be able to determine exactly what caused the defect. This will help us determine whether there is an underlying issue or simply an assembly error. Either way - we will take whatever measures needed to correct this issue - no worries."

We are confident that our FIERCE will be known to be as reliable as our FURY and FURY 2. If you have an issue with your FIERCE, no worries! Simply contact us right away: healthyrips@gmail.com - we always take care of our clients :).

We are here for you!
Healthy Rips Team

Last edited:

OF

We have had thousands of our FURY and FURY 2 units out in our client's hands for 18 months plus, and have had less than a 1% defect rate.

Once we have your defective unit back - we will be able to determine exactly what caused the defect. This will help us determine whether there is an underlying issue or simply an assembly error.

First off, IMO under one percent is outstanding. Pretty clear evidence you know what you're doing with those products. Workmanship errors alone (not including component failure) can easily exceed that. Kudos to the assembly/test/QC folks.

For sure the whole thing hinges on RCAs (Root Cause Analysis of each failure) so that information can be 'fed back' into the manufacturing process. Not just exactly what went wrong, but why. I have some considerable experience in such exercises from a misspent youth. Specific details are critical if you want to drive the return numbers down to fit that curve. "In service failures" can be the hairiest of all, especially infant failures like these. Washing machines, cars, vapes even people follow this rule. Under normal conditions if an individual unit survives the first bit of life, it's probably good for the long haul. For sure the average one is. The curve plot shows a sharp drop in failures, followed by a fairly flat area and only rising again in aging.

That is if a newborn survives the first few years he can expect to live a normal lifetime. A car that finally gets all the bugs/defects from the factory sorted out will probably go 100,000 miles and so on.

For sure the HR folks know this well and have the traditional defense in place (or so it seems) so this is more a bit of rambling on the topic for those interested in how such things play out. Rest assured, many otherwise good companies 'went down' because a single product failed too often........some of those companies even had the poor judgement to employ me.

Importantly HR is backing us up here, worst case is a delay/inconvenience for us? Our job is to enjoy FIERCE and test it with lots and lots of sessions. All for the cause you know.

Regards to all.

OF

Top Bottom