healthiness of vapes

Chubba

Vaporbonger
I believe bongs do have a lot of add to the vapor experience.

Water will still catch a certain amount of byproducts from the process for those that are really worried, water will trap any solid particle matter that's falling through the stem/wand, plus it cools down the vapor to room temp (or icey cold if you have an ice bong).

A dedicated vaporbong setup is the next step healthwise from standard vaporizing, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Chubba,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Vapourizing is always a safer and healthier method of ingestion than smoking.

The much higher temperatures of combustion result in pyrolysis of the material. Along with the numerous gaseous toxins released (CO, benzene, toluene, naphthalene, PAHs etc), the large amount of organic particulates released, (and whats adsorbed onto the surface) may be just as toxic to us.

The lower temperatures of vaping avoid almost all of the gaseous toxins, but can still release some particulates, to a lesser degree. Even the higher end of the vaping temperature range will release more particulate than the lower end, in general. This can be seen in the AVB in colour and degree of degradation. While the body can filter/expel most of the larger particles, its the smallest particles (aerosols) that may be a problem since they are less than 2.5 microns (u) in size (we inhale down to 10u and respire down to 2.5u). They can end up deep into the lungs.

When using a bong, the same theory holds. However, when vaporizing, we can filter these aerosol particulates (and the larger fractions) by simply using water in the bong. It does help to cool, yes, but when I use the whip, I always use my bong with water for the filtering property. It gives the best taste and experience, and is the healthiest method, imo.

Of course, you can do the same with smoking, but the vast majority of the gaseous toxin fractions are still not filtered by the water.

nicelytoasted,

karazi

I would like to know if a diffuser would be more effective in filtering out particles. The bubbler I run my AZ through is not diffused and I sort of suspect that micro particles may still be getting through since the bubbles are so large. Thoughts?

karazi,

aero18

vaporist
karazi said:
I would like to know if a diffuser would be more effective in filtering out particles. The bubbler I run my AZ through is not diffused and I sort of suspect that micro particles may still be getting through since the bubbles are so large. Thoughts?
Don't worry about it.

aero18,

aero18

vaporist
karazi said:
Educated (or at least thoughtful) responses more than welcome...
It isn't hard to think about it conceptually... the smaller particles that might get through is alright. Your lungs are in an environment that has the same micro-particles floating around in the air that you breath. Your lungs have adapted to function fine with this.

Since THC is an expectorant, it will aide you in expelling and cleaning out your lungs as well.

Don't worry about it. :/

aero18,

Raf007

Retailer
DevoTheStrange said:
The smoke deposits tar and bad toxins. Vapor deposits THC oils. Which can be absorbed. Tar tends too not want too be absorbed. So when you use smoke with a bong and you inhale a piece of weed... the tar in the smoke helps cement that piece of weed in. With Vapor the THC might do the same thing, but over time the THC will be absorbed making it easier for the lungs too clean out the piece of weed. Much harder too do when the piece of weed is coated in tars.
[...]

I would say logically, your argument is sound when concerning smoke. I do not think it fully applies too vapor. Like I said before... each is its own beast. One does not behave physically like the other.
Interesting explanation, thks !
So now you gave me another reason to unpack my bong after 8 years of sleep, and to buy a whip vape :D
Even , if I am still a bit convinced that a vape bong ( I am thinking of a one shot bong, because that's how i used to like bongs) is maybe not as healthier as a vape water filtrated.

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Raf007 said:
Interesting explanation, thks !
So now you gave me another reason to unpack my bong after 8 years of sleep, and to buy a whip vape :D
Even , if I am still a bit convinced that a vape bong ( I am thinking of a one shot bong, because that's how i used to like bongs) is maybe not as healthier as a vape water filtrated.
I actually use a 100ml RooR bong most of the time with my vapes.... without water. Yes I could use water, it just is my personal preference not too... just either the bong itself, or with some Ice thrown in.
The extra space and the likes makes it easier too take in really big hits. Even bigger if you use Ice.
I don't know about other users, but for me the water hinders my ability too control the size of the hit.
I tend too use water in a group setting because it keeps the group from cashing the bowl so quickly.
The size of the bong is also perfect too... I find a milked 100ml bong is the perfect sized hit. Big enough get me where I wan't too go, but not too big enough for me too be able handle comfortably.

DevoTheStrange,

Raf007

Retailer
OK, thx for the advices.
I ve never try with a vape, but from my experience with smoking bongs, the water is what I liked because it gives me beter control on how I take the One hit.
And 100ml has always been to small, my fav is around 500ml I would say.
So quite different settings. :)

But as soon as I get a whip vape I'll try it with a bong !

Raf007,

Raf007

Retailer
I "plugged" my Bong to my Cano today !

Works gooood, and the size of the mouthpiece fits perfectly the grass chamber.

But the air ratio in the balloon makes the hit slightly weak I think.

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
heh I've watched that video like 4 times already.... I'm telling you Stonemonkey I sure am really thinking about getting some new glass...

DevoTheStrange,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
Devo - if you have trouble controlling the flow when there is water in the glass you are using, you might want to check out an inline style bong/vape. They have very little drag and it's almost as if you are just inhaling air. Actually, most diffused glass pieces will be easier to control than a straight downstem with just one big hole. Instead of "glug glug glug" you get more of a purring sound.

Anyhow, don't mean to hijack this thread, to get back on topic, another reason I like to use water to filter is that after the first couple of hits and I mix the herb in the bowl, undoubtedly a few smaller pieces fall thru the screen that gets filtered thru the water. Not very pleasant when you accidently inhale small particles of plant material.

stonemonkey55,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
stonemonkey55 said:
Devo - if you have trouble controlling the flow when there is water in the glass you are using, you might want to check out an inline style bong/vape. They have very little drag and it's almost as if you are just inhaling air. Actually, most diffused glass pieces will be easier to control than a straight downstem with just one big hole. Instead of "glug glug glug" you get more of a purring sound.

Anyhow, don't mean to hijack this thread, to get back on topic, another reason I like to use water to filter is that after the first couple of hits and I mix the herb in the bowl, undoubtedly a few smaller pieces fall thru the screen that gets filtered thru the water. Not very pleasant when you accidently inhale small particles of plant material.
well your videos are the reason I have been rethinking my views on glass. I have been contemplating Inlines.

DevoTheStrange,

Raf007

Retailer
Thanks stonemonkey, it's actually that video, that made me go at my mom's to digg out my bong before I posted .

But alas a vriptech, even if it looks wonderfull, is not on my list right now, maybe after i get a whipvape, i'll get it.

Raf007,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
i'm not trying to questions your choice of vapes here, but I'm curious why you are set on a whip based vape. I totally understand that whips are easier to use, and you get just as thick and cloudy vapes with a whip as you get with vhw or herbo but you do give up some taste in the process. Perhaps that doesn't make a difference for you, if it doesn't, then nevermind. but if you look at vaporization the same way as me, not just getting high, but the total experience, then I don't think it gets much better than a glass based vape.

on a side note, speaking about healthiness of vapes, i'm not sure why this topic isn't discussed as much but to get quality vapor that doesn't contain benzene, use a flourecent light to exhale your vapor into. If it is white, there is benzene. If there is still a bluish tint to it, you know you are in thc vapor only zone.

stonemonkey55,

Raf007

Retailer
Hi there, good morning from Paris,
Don't get me wrong I am looking for the total experience, and yes, glass based vapes seem to be what's best, but with a whip vape, like the EQ or the DBV, it's only glass around the herbe, right ? Or I got it wrong ?

So mainly whip over wand, because right now I'm looking for a quiet and hand free vapo that I can use when watching tv.
Also a whip vape can be plugged on a bong, maybe it's not the same than a wand but it's still working, even if it's not glass only then.
And because before that post i never considerated going back to my old bong habit. ;)
Plus when my Gf saw me with the bong she said " I thought you were looking for a more quiet vape ! ".
Of course my only answer was a big smile and me plugging that noisy balloon to my bong.

So, that's why it's not for right now :D

PS. what do you mean by fluorescent ? A led ?

Raf007,

smoking Joe

I read from another forum to put a gas line filter inline with the whip to filter the "hit". Not sure whats inside the filter. I use an ice chiller and collects most of the particles in the water/ice.

smoking Joe,

luchiano

stonemonkey55 said:
i'm not trying to questions your choice of vapes here, but I'm curious why you are set on a whip based vape. I totally understand that whips are easier to use, and you get just as thick and cloudy vapes with a whip as you get with vhw or herbo but you do give up some taste in the process. Perhaps that doesn't make a difference for you, if it doesn't, then nevermind. but if you look at vaporization the same way as me, not just getting high, but the total experience, then I don't think it gets much better than a glass based vape.

on a side note, speaking about healthiness of vapes, i'm not sure why this topic isn't discussed as much but to get quality vapor that doesn't contain benzene, use a flourecent light to exhale your vapor into. If it is white, there is benzene. If there is still a bluish tint to it, you know you are in thc vapor only zone.
I was wondering why you think a glass based vape gives more flavor than a whip based one?.

If you are using a bong than the only reason I can see it being more flavorful than a whip based is because some of the moisture of the water attaches to some of the essential oils and that lays on the tongue. We know dry food provides no taste until some moisture gets in it.

If you think about it a whip based, if moisture is added to cannbis with boveda packs or the vapor being filtered through water with something such as an aquafilter cigarette filter or vapir water tool kit with a diffuser attached to it(the kind that you buy for a hookah), will have more flavor than a bong vape because there will be much less surface area which means more concentration of flavor.

The only thing that I think would give equal or a better results than a whip with an aquafilter cigarette filter would be a small bubbler with a diffuser because the small size will give less surface area and it has water as the filter with no fiber to absorb some of the oils.

Edit: If you use the vapir water tool kit clean it in some water that has been boiling to get rid of the taste but if you can try to use silicone tubing which you can get from aromed or the vaporstore because I don't know if the tubes vapir uses are safe enough when using vaporizing temperatures.

luchiano,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
luchiano said:
stonemonkey55 said:

I was wondering why you think a glass based vape gives more flavor than a whip based one?.
one major reason is the tubing in the whip affects the taste depending on what it made out of. If you have low quality tubing it will impact the flavor significantly. With all glass you don't have to worry about any chemicals making their way into the vapor path.
I know, for me at least, I can taste the tubing on some of the vapes as I use them.

DevoTheStrange,

luchiano

DevoTheStrange said:
luchiano said:
stonemonkey55 said:

one major reason is the tubing in the whip affects the taste depending on what it made out of. If you have low quality tubing it will impact the flavor significantly. With all glass you don't have to worry about any chemicals making their way into the vapor path.
I know, for me at least, I can taste the tubing on some of the vapes as I use them.
I understand that part because I've experienced the same thing but that is easily dealt with by getting a silicone hose like aromed sells for $6-$10.

luchiano,

MoeOnTheMoon

Medical Marijuana Activist
Company Rep
I have asthma on occasion - have had it off and on for 40 years - and I used to smoke black sticky hash anyway, because I loved the high! :D

Then I quit using mj totally for about 4 years then did it again, then quit again for about 5 years and now never combust unless I'm out somewhere and someone offers it to me.

Smoking it can definitely give me asthma and occasionally so can vaping, but I do it anyway. I have learned to deal with asthma in a way that it does not get out of control.

I can tell you that vaping is much better for me.

As far as mj being carcinogenic, I can't prove it and have not seen the studies myself but the documentary The Union - which is very good and all should see! - says that smoking marijuana has never been shown to produce cancer.

MoeOnTheMoon,

Raf007

Retailer
I did not see that documentary, but we all know now that smoking by itself can produce cancer, whatever you combust....

Raf007,
Top Bottom