healthiness of vapes

MileHigh

I know vaporizing is obviously much healthier than smoking, but you only have to look at a dirty whip to know that we're still inhaling a bunch of crud into our lungs, including larger particles that actually wouldn't be inhaled during combustion. Intuitively I surmise that while cancer risk would obviously be much lower, lung function seems still at risk. Do any of you notice an improvement in respiration or athletic ability/stamina if you take an extended break from vaping?

MileHigh,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
I smoked from August 1994-January 1999. Quit, and then stopped smoking weed ~2000. Smoked periodically until October/2009 when I took it up again recreationally. Bought my first vaporizer on December/2009 and have been using it daily since then. And I can tell you certainly that if I smoked weed for a month in a row, my lungs would be hurting.

At work, I'm on my feet for about 5/8 hours, and I'm walking a few miles to and from my car.

Take it for what you will, but all you have to do is look at brown, spent vaped weed and know that THAT is not in your lungs. Healthier? Beyond a doubt. And by far.

regards

Tom

tdavie,

aero18

vaporist
This does not exactly pertain to particulate inhalation, however, it still is about lung health. Smoking cannabis releases 118 known carcinogens, whereas vaporizing releases only 2 known carcinogens (which are, of course, made null because of the anti-carcinogenic properties of THC).

About the particulate inhalation: Use a bong! It will aide in capturing most of the larger particulates. Also, the Launch Box has a very fine mesh screen that catches most particulates.

I don't know how easily it is for condensed vapor to be absorbed into the lungs, however, I do know that after a while I will cough up phlegm that has its own characteristic taste that I have associated with vaporizing. Anyone have the same side-effects?

aero18,

tdavie

Unconscious Objector
@aero18 Decarboxylated THC is supposed to be a pretty strong expectorant at least equivalent to Dextromethorphan (reference is Remington's Pharmaceutical Sciences I think). I haven't coughed while vaping, but find I do about 60-90 minutes after.

Tom

tdavie,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
I have no 'scientific' data, but Im sure that my sentiments regarding this will be echoed the same as others. I even have friends that are asthmatic who would swear by a vape.
Kind of like it was when I made the transition to Swedish snus the buzzword(s) used to help sell it in the public eye and still be cool with the FDA and shit - "Less Harmful"

Vapes are still bar none my fav. Particulates or not. Yum

AGBeer,

lwien

I vape every night. I'm 65 years old, weigh in at 222 lbs (6'2") and run 4 miles a day 5 days a week. Lungs feel great. No coughing. No phlegm. Lungs totally clear.

lwien,

lwien

aero18 said:
lwien said:
I'm 65 years old, weigh in at 222 lbs (6'2") and run 4 miles a day 5 days a week.
You are a great role model for us all!
Thanks, but I gotta get real here. I'm of the mindset that thinks that anything other than plain clean air or pure oxygen, isn't really good for your lungs. Compared to other things, cannabis vapor falls pretty far down the risk ladder, but it's there, none the less. It's just that for me, the risk/reward ratio falls more heavily into the reward side of things.

lwien,

foglights

you only have to look at a dirty whip to know that we're still inhaling a bunch of crud into our lungs, including larger particles that actually wouldn't be inhaled during combustion.
we are? how did you conduct your experiment on particulate sizes? assuming the same size screen i dont see how that would be possible. i think you may be confusing condensed vapor with fibrous plant matter. if the thought of inhaling dust sized particles really bothers you you can look into a water filter but our lungs are designed to deal with much worse and the average person is exposed to much worse on a daily basis

Smoking cannabis releases 118 known carcinogens, whereas vaporizing releases only 2 known carcinogens (which are, of course, made null because of the anti-carcinogenic properties of THC).
sorry to nitpick but where are you getting these numbers? which carcinogens? under what conditions?

even chronic smoking of cannabis is not shown to cause anything worse than bronchitis, so eliminate the combustion byproducts and what do you get?

:2c:

foglights,

Raf007

Retailer
A study found 111 PHA in combustion of weed, only 3 are found with vaporisation (tested with a volcano).

Speaking of bongs , what do u guys think about the fact that it is wellknown that with a regular bong hit the things you inhale are getting sutck into your lungs.
Don't you think using a bong with vape is killing a bit of the healthy part of vaping ?

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
MileHigh said:
I know vaporizing is obviously much healthier than smoking, but you only have to look at a dirty whip to know that we're still inhaling a bunch of crud into our lungs, including larger particles that actually wouldn't be inhaled during combustion. Intuitively I surmise that while cancer risk would obviously be much lower, lung function seems still at risk. Do any of you notice an improvement in respiration or athletic ability/stamina if you take an extended break from vaping?
Alot of what you see in the whip is built up THC oil. Yes there are some particles that make it past the screen. But a good majority of what you are seeing is vapor that has cooled and turned back into an oil. A good majority of what you are seeing in the "Dirty Whip" is Vapor that never made it too your lungs. Granted, yes there are some bits of vegetable matter, but not enough too be an issue.
Just remember most of that "Dirty" you are seeing is not dirty, just THC buildup. So if you are worried about the stuff inside the whip... shouldn't be... should harvest that shit and revape it. Most of that stuff that builds in the whip can be absorbed by the body, if not cleaned out by it. It is not like tar from smoking.

Raf007 said:
A study found 111 PHA in combustion of weed, only 3 are found with vaporisation (tested with a volcano).

Speaking of bongs , what do u guys think about the fact that it is wellknown that with a regular bong hit the things you inhale are getting sutck into your lungs.
Don't you think using a bong with vape is killing a bit of the healthy part of vaping ?
Are you referring too smoking out of a bong? because if you are you cannot compare smoking out of a bong too vaping out of a bong. A vapor cloud is way different than a smoke cloud.

I think the big issue here with concern would be vaping at high temps for long periods of time. Hot air in large quantities is not good for your throat. Anything in excess can potentially be bad for you...

DevoTheStrange,

Beezleb

What, you mean my vaporizer is not giving me super powers and is not the fountain of youth?

It may turn out years from now some study might say something negative about vaping. If you have not noticed we still do that about eggs. What I do appreciate is I feel better and healthier and will likely always be a vapist.

I imagine if we could filter out all the particles we actually breath in naturally it would put the reality of the issue into a better perspective. You are not breathing pristine non particle air all the time. Perhaps if your in a bubble or an astronaut maybe.

Beezleb,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
hell... i would rather swallow what is in the air now, than flying down the highway on a motorcycle and inhale a bug. Which I have done.... and I coughed the little bastard up too... So I know it went into my lungs.

DevoTheStrange,

SmogTown

Vaping is healthier than smoking. As far as it being unhealthy can't be much worse than the basic air we breathe. Just look at any air filter that is filtering outside air. Some very nasty things floating around in air we breathe.

SmogTown,

vape4health

Just look at your furnace filter and thats from mostly clean air right in your house .

vape4health,

Raf007

Retailer
DevoTheStrange said:
Are you referring too smoking out of a bong? because if you are you cannot compare smoking out of a bong too vaping out of a bong. A vapor cloud is way different than a smoke cloud.

I think the big issue here with concern would be vaping at high temps for long periods of time. Hot air in large quantities is not good for your throat. Anything in excess can potentially be bad for you...
Yes, I was, but, bot not really comparing, just wondering if a bong hit not properly filtered of vape is that safe, knowing how deep it goes into your lungs with a bong.

And, yeah, keeping in mind that anything in excess can be bad.

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
my point with smoking out of a bong vs vaping, is a good majority of the vapor is THC and a small amount of bad stuff. With Smoke there is lot more bad stuff you are bringing into your lungs (Especially compared too vaporizing).
With a bong it is an issue of how much bad shit you are breathing in, and how deeply you are breathing it in. So with smoke it is more of an issue than with vapor.
when you use a bong with vaporizing, your pretty much stopping any vegetable matter that got past the screen from getting through, and cooling the vapor, which allows you too take in more vapor than you could have with a whip.
with smoking you are trying too remove the toxins from the smoke by filtering it through the water.

DevoTheStrange,

aero18

vaporist
foglights said:
Smoking cannabis releases 118 known carcinogens, whereas vaporizing releases only 2 known carcinogens (which are, of course, made null because of the anti-carcinogenic properties of THC).
sorry to nitpick but where are you getting these numbers? which carcinogens? under what conditions?

even chronic smoking of cannabis is not shown to cause anything worse than bronchitis, so eliminate the combustion byproducts and what do you get?

:2c:
Here you go!

On 23 May 2006, Donald Tashkin, M.D., Professor of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA in Los Angeles announced that the use of cannabis does not appear to increase the risk of developing lung cancer, or increase the risk of head and neck cancers, such as cancer of the tongue, mouth, throat, or esophagus.[144] The study involved 2252 participants, with some of the most chronic marijuana smokers having smoked over 22,000 marijuana cigarettes.[144][145][146][147] The finding of Donald Tashkin, M.D., and his team of researchers in 2006 refined their earlier studies published in a Dec. 17th 2000 edition of the peer-reviewed journal Cancer Epidemiology Biomarker and Prevention.[148] Many opponents of marijuana incorrectly cite the original finding of UCLA Medical Center from 2000 as "proof" that marijuana leaves the users at higher risk for cancer of the lung, and cancerous tumors,[140] even though the researchers at the UCLA Medical Center have revised their finding with a more in-depth study on the effects of the use of marijuana. This seemed to contradict assumptions made after some studies, like those from Dale Geirringer et al., which found that 118 carcinogens were produced when marijuana underwent combustion, and two carcinogens {2-Methyl-2, 4(2H-1-benzopyran-5-ol) & 5-[Acetyl benz[e]azulene-3,8-dione} formed when marijuana underwent vaporization with the Volcano Vaporizer.[51]
Remember that the presence of carcinogens does not imply that you will develop tumors or cancers. THC is an anti-cancerous molecule that destroys mutating, cancerous cells.

aero18,

Motokid600

On a sunny day the light shines through your window into your house. Have u ever noticed how much shit is floating around in the air? I use a bong when i vape. it smooths it out, cools the vapor and makes it easier on the lungs. Question though... even with a bong and a somewhat low temp i still get a burning sensation in my lungs and throat and do often times cough after a big hit. granted this is like 15 minutes into vaping. The first few early hits have alot more taste and less of a vapor cloud is generated so it doesn't bother my lungs.

Motokid600,

Beezleb

On a being on a really vaped note, its probably worse to smell a bad fart than to use a main stream vaporizer on your body.

Beezleb,

Qbit

cannabanana
Motokid600 said:
On a sunny day the light shines through your window into your house. Have u ever noticed how much shit is floating around in the air? I use a bong when i vape. it smooths it out, cools the vapor and makes it easier on the lungs. Question though... even with a bong and a somewhat low temp i still get a burning sensation in my lungs and throat and do often times cough after a big hit. granted this is like 15 minutes into vaping. The first few early hits have a lot more taste and less of a vapor cloud is generated so it doesn't bother my lungs.
Vapour isn't pure air, and it's never going to feel like pure air, but if you're vaping at a low temp and with a bong, you're definitely not burning your lungs. If you smoke as well as vape (or have only just switched to vaping), the vape will typically make you want to cough.

THC is an expectorant (a lung clearing agent) so it activates you body's mechanisms, such as coughing, for getting rid of the nasties you've taken in through smoking. The effect seems to get 'drowned out' when you smoke weed, so I guess vaping is like tickling a boxer when he's expecting a punch.

The reason why early hits may not bother your lungs so much is probably because you're not getting very much vapour - just more of the low-boiling aromatics and stuff. If you quit smoking and keep up the vaping the coughing will subside.

Qbit,
Reactions: chant121

Raf007

Retailer
DevoTheStrange said:
my point with smoking out of a bong vs vaping, is a good majority of the vapor is THC and a small amount of bad stuff. [...]r, which allows you too take in more vapor than you could have with a whip.
with smoking you are trying too remove the toxins from the smoke by filtering it through the water.
yeah, i hear you, and I totally agree. But my question here was to know if vaporing with a bong is as healthy as vaporing without. I m talking about bong here, not water filtration ( that can be done without a bon skeme) ;)
Because, if your bong is not twisted and so, the little particules (not the only the vapor) we are talking about go directly straight Into your lungs. deeply.

Raf007,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
well a good majority of those small particles will get trapped in the back of the mouth and throat area, in the mucus. Yes some will make it too the lungs. But I don't see it as an issue unless a huge amount of herb was making its way past the bowl. Even then given the angles of the human air path one would think that a good majority of the particles that make it through would slam into the back of the throat and stick there and not make it down into the lungs.
Now if the path too the lungs was a straight shot and didn't have any turns in it, then I would see this as a huge problem for inhaling particles.
However I tend too put my tongue in the way of the air path. So the vapor has too make its way over my tongue and then past the turn from mouth into lungs. That is alot of mucus covered turning airway that the vapor has too wind its way through. I have caught particles in the past in the back of my throat and promptly either swallowed it or spit it out.
Given how much particles you see in the whip over a period of time vs THC buildup I would say the amount of particles that do make it past the screen are not really an issue. Most of it will get caught in your mouth or throat before it makes its way into your lungs. The two pathways into each lung is another mucus coated hazard the particles have too make it past.
When breathing in smoke the one thing you have too worry about is not particulate matter being brought in too deep with a bong , it is the nature of the smoke itself that is the problem. The smoke deposits tar and bad toxins. Vapor deposits THC oils. Which can be absorbed. Tar tends too not want too be absorbed. So when you use smoke with a bong and you inhale a piece of weed... the tar in the smoke helps cement that piece of weed in. With Vapor the THC might do the same thing, but over time the THC will be absorbed making it easier for the lungs too clean out the piece of weed. Much harder too do when the piece of weed is coated in tars.

You have too remember the main design purpose of the cilia in the lungs is too remove foreign particles from the lungs. There is far less stuff in the vapor that the cilia has too deal with. So the fine particles of vegetable matter that do make their way in, will slowly be moved out.
Personally I would rather my lungs clean out a few bits of herb than cleaning out toxins and carcinogens.
there are hundreds of compounds found in smoke that end up getting deposited in your lungs.
With Vapor there are only a handful of things in it compared too Smoke.

I would say logically, your argument is sound when concerning smoke. I do not think it fully applies too vapor. Like I said before... each is its own beast. One does not behave physically like the other.

DevoTheStrange,
Reactions: chant121
Top Bottom