Hatch chilis ideas?? Esp from you New Mexico FCers

MinnBobber

Hi,
brand new to Hatch chilis. Store had fresh supply and tasting booth.
Had to try the famous New Mexico specialty and see what it's all about.

Roasting them on grill and skinning/seeding was much longer ordeal than I expected but
next time will go quicker.
Do you need to get the entire skin (100%) black to make for quick skinning or any tips for skinning?

Seeding went ok.
I'm going to try making a Hatch omelette with a few sauteed onions, salt, pepper, and stuffed with chopped chilis and cheese. I have other peppers, spinach, etc but probably want to let those NM chilis be the star of the show :)

What else do you recommend for Hatch chilis???
Sounds like the season for them is only a few weeks long :(

FYI, one site I found actually recommended that when you work with them you:
- wear safety goggles
- wear gloves
- wear a long sleeved shirt
I did use hospital gloves LOL

BabyFacedFinster

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
I have never messed with the Hatch type, but I imagine skinning would be similar to any chili (apart from the Scoville protection thing).

I do try to char chilies rather well whether inside on the gas burner or outside on the grill. If you plan on skinning, then blacken the whole thing but don't keep grilling very long after achieving full char. If you go too long you'll begin to burn the flesh inside, but a little caramelization is nice. Very important after charring is to place them in a closed bag for a few minutes to cool. The steam that is created will separate the skin from the flesh and make it 10x easier to peel.

To reduce some heat, remove the white veins as well as the seeds.

I really don't like very hot chilies myself. I have been experimenting with some banana and pepperocini types that are only mildly hot. I'm a bit of a wimp with pepper heat.

BabyFacedFinster,
Reactions: MinnBobber

MinnBobber

I really don't like very hot chilies myself.
...................................................................................
I'm a hot spice whimp so have avoided chilis BUT these Hatch chilis are not hot at all, very very nice flavor and texture without being spicey hot :)

My Hatch chilis and cheese omelette with a few sauteed onions was MAGNIFICENT, it was so good that I need to try more Hatch dishes.
Probably do a chicken enchilada with Hatch chilis next----seems like a winner.

MinnBobber,
Top Bottom