Handling Amber Glass

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I have some amber glass and I'm not sure how to handle it. It is contained in a small plastic container that it came in. It is really hard and sticky and but still viscous.

Would it be easier to handle if I put it in the freezer and hopefully it solidifies? Or should I heat it somehow and hope it pours like a liquid? :shrug:

Anyone have an suggestion? I want to load it into my Thermovape Revolution if that makes a difference.

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
o those 2 options: i'd freeze it and bust off a chunk. less mess during handling imo. cover the top when you bust it though right? don't was shards of delicious concentrate flying around the room not getting vaped!

but why not just work with it as it is to pull off a glob and just load it in?

weedemon,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It's impossible to get a "glob" out of it. It's just too damn thick/hard. The best I've done so far is using a sharp nail to kinda scrape at it and I get very small amounts that way. There must be a better way. I'll try freezing it. That way I can get it out of this damn plastic jar that I don't care for.

Thanks for the input!

Stu,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Best i can think off.. is : Redissolve in ethanol (95% from pharmacy store) ,then evaporate,. You dont need much EtOh to dissolve pure concentrates ;).

Abysmal Vapor,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Would that be safe to do in the plastic jar? I haven't ever found ethanol around here. I do have lots of iso, but the thought of iso mixing with plastic around my product doesn't sound appealing.

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
yeah i'd say first order of operation is to get it out of the plastic thing, and get it into glass! then work on it from there!

good call :)

i'd say go cold before you go warm, for messy handling reasons still.

weedemon,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
It's in the freezer now. But now I'm worried about what to put it in when I take it out of the freezer. :rolleyes: I don't have any glass containers.

As I type this, I just realized that a glass lid from a 99 cent glass candle jar would be perfect! Wow, I went from having no glass containers for concentrates to having dozens in the time it took me to write this post!! Damn I'm smart! :D

Stu,

Abysmal Vapor

Well idk about iso.. but ethanol is sold in pharmacies in plastic bottles usually 100 ml (95 ml ethanol 5 ml distilled water) . Actually i dealed with iso only once while cleaning an old sink.. it killed my hands and reeked a lot worst than etoh ..It gives me the same toxic feeling like acetone.. I don't know in what way.. but ethanol seems to be much cleaner and easier to be found around here. 0.80 $ for 100 ml.. It is good to drink it if you dillute it.. but i won't advise because commercial alcohol has more to smooth it than water .. (glycerine and other stuff)

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Are you thinking of these?

51rHjJOAHJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just stole a few of those from my mom last week for my own storing purposes :lol:

OhTheAgony,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
The ones I have here are like these:

media.nl

I bought a bunch of them to use as stash jars, but I found better jars to use and I've been meaning to throw them out. I'm glad I didn't.

Stu,

weedemon

enthusiast
yeah it will totally work. when you go to bust your oil glob, be sure to protect it from flying out the lid! saran wrap or w/e will work well :p

i have also used old china eggcup holders, clean glass ash trays, a big ole pyrex dish :D

weedemon,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Well, it worked.... sort of.

When I tried to "break" it after freezing it would only come apart in tiny chards. So I said "fuckit" and just used a nail to scrape the shards together and (sloppily) loaded everything I could scrape up into my vaporizer. There is a lot of stuff leftover and stuck to the plastic containter, but I probably got about 80% of it into the cartridge, so I'm happy with that. I didn't need the glass bowl afterall. I couldn't have done it without freezing it first, so thanks Weedemon for the suggestion.

Although it was a bitch to handle, this stuff really kicks ass in the Revolution. :cool:

Thanks again everyone.

:peace:

Stu,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
I only have amber glasss at home... so I might help:

Yes if it has never been freezed, it will be sticky and a PITA to deal with/handle AND if it is to cold while handling it, it will also shatter in a bizarre way...your dabber will not be able to "stick" to that shatter rock, and will break it into crums... :D BUT... I found that after a 2 or 3 days storage in the freezer, and a slow defreezing at room temp in the P-paper gets 95% of my amber glass to a stable and very easy handling product! It is solid and I can totally play with it in my fingers. After 20 secs of contact with the heat of my skin, it will become maleable, within 30 it will start to stick!
Another good tip is : wet your hands a little... a thin layer of water sort of acts like a "bho stickiness repulsive" on your fingers! ;)

FLskwat,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Great tip, FLskwat. I have a lot of residue left and I'll try to reclaim it with your method.

Much appreciated!

Stu,

FLskwat

VAPOLITICS!
De nada Stu, let me know the results!
BTW my stuff is home-made amber glass, or that's how I call it...
Can you show us what your amber glass looks like?

FLskwat,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I found this pic that I took when I first got it (it's the one on the left. the other is GDP fullmelt). I'll try to post a pic tonight of what the container looks like after I've used as much as I could.

photo3qo.jpg

:peace:

Stu,

Abysmal Vapor

sessnet said:
Hi FLskwat,

Got a recipe for that amber glass? I want to try make some. :)
It is basicly redisolving extract with ethanol. I usually freeze ethanol and the concentrate then mix and let it sit in the freezer for few hours or a day.. then strain right after you take out of the fridge. Any heat will result in darker color.. I achieved transperant lighty yellow substance with lower temps on the cost of a bit less yield.. none of matter IMO.
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=168388 :)
If you dont apply heat and wait to naturally evaporate .. you can get some snow white shatter ;) !

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I don't want to steer this off-topic to much. But why do you choose this method over BHO Abysmal?

Does it give you better quality, a bigger yield, is it healthier, or just saver to mess with than butane? I'm a total noob at this and I'm trying to figure out which method would work best for me.

OhTheAgony,

Sour Deez

If its to hard to stick your dabber in without breaking shards off, just heat the dabber up a second with the torch, it will go threw like butter.

Sour Deez,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Why didn't I think of this?

That's a rhetorical question... no need for responses. :lol:

Stu,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
I don't want to steer this off-topic to much. But why do you choose this method over BHO Abysmal?

Does it give you better quality, a bigger yield, is it healthier, or just saver to mess with than butane? I'm a total noob at this and I'm trying to figure out which method would work best for me.
Less mess. Pure product.
Q:?What is in you butane can ?What happens when solvent like butane sits in a metal container for 2-3 years :) ?
A: IDK !!!
Q:What is in my ethanol from pharmacy store ? What can happen if i breath it in.. ?
A: 95 ml EtOH 5 ml distilled water ,safe for inhalations within 40 % solution...(has benefits when having pneumonia,tuberkolosis, and heavy lung conditions..,so when if the perfect purge cannot be done,i will be inhaling that instead of butane and bittering agents :). )The are some guys making vodka with it.. just add essence and glycerine. I don't mind to hit 1/100 of a drop on a dab.. even if it is not purged enough..
Q:Which is more flamable and more likely to be breath in ? or freeze your skin ?
A: Butane..
Q: Costs ?
A:Can of Butane extra filtered - 2-3 $ (locally made) or Colibri for 9$ (imported). 100 ml Etoh.. 95 % - 0.80 $ . 1 L - 7 $...

I can go on for a while.. but i will stop and say.. I still do small bho runs in a small extractor made of DBV wand with broken gong.. But after that i redisolve in EToh .. This is the best method to maximize yield.. Etoh does not dissolve anything from bho.. Waxes and other crap are left in the filter..
Also the purer the stronger in my book. + less cough and heavyness on the Lungs.. I remember THC scientific said he doesnt breaths in BHO because it waxes your bronchs.. I kinda felt that after 1 year of very frequent concentrate use..
Definetly there is much more left in the herb that i extract.. but it is not a desirable product for me.. or it would need much more purification..
For example if i get 2,3g grams BHO which results in 2.1g amber from 20 g run . If i do a quick 10- 15 secs ethanol wash i would get 2.6-3.0 g of dark amber which tastes strong compared to the light one but gives a bit cough + have more residue after evaporation. (I must try sometime to redisolve dark amber in cold ethanol again and refilter and see if it makes light amber.. next time !) .
Anyway If i am after highest purity i do etoh wash of bho or bubbler hash (that is a must try) or some other concentrate (if you manage to get temps low enough you can make dark amber out of long soak iso ,never had iso ,never tried :D ).. If i am after taste and yield i just do Etoh wash..
Damn i am stoned... Just did some amber on a cotton filter for e-cig in my UD.. and i am so fucking ripped.

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Sound good, thanks for the info!

I guess I still have a lot of reading to do, but I will have a look in to the availability & costs of ethanol in my country.

The butane I have is never 'bottled' more then 6 months before I buy it and it caries the 'zero impurities' label, but I still feel kinda funny about ingesting something that has 'bathed' in it.

edit: wait, ethanol is just pure alcohol? I'm afraid that is not an option here at 50 euro's per liter. Apparently it gets taxed the most in my Country from the entire EU :(

OhTheAgony,

Abysmal Vapor

OhTheAgony said:
Sound good, thanks for the info!

I guess I still have a lot of reading to do, but I will have a look in to the availability & costs of ethanol in my country.

The butane I have is never 'bottled' more then 6 months before I buy it and it caries the 'zero impurities' label, but I still feel kinda funny about ingesting something that has 'bathed' in it.

edit: wait, ethanol is just pure alcohol? I'm afraid that is not an option here at 50 euro's per liter. Apparently it gets taxed the most in my Country from the entire EU :(
:) When i was to Sweden .. for a trip.. The liquor was so damn insane.. I don't drink hard liqour anymore but a bottle of absolute 1 L is about 12 euro.. It was like 200 euro there.. LOL... I thought i am going insane a that is not real or some kind of joke..I was bringing with me a bottle of bulgarian rakia.. which can kill even with its smell.. IMO.. Its was a homemade brandy from a cherry wood barrel.. with 1000 kinds herbs and essential oils.. blah.. Too much,, Anyway.. a guy in a park.. offered me his girlfriend.. for the half bottle.. And thought this guy has done things very wrong in life.. till i remembered 200 euro bottle Absolute i saw in a liquor shop.., did the calculations.. and it came out that for 200 euro he can go on a wild night with fine ass hookers rounds here :)...
OTA check in pharmacy store.. Ask for ethanol 95 %. I am pretty sure you don't need prescription.. LOL .. they use it in hospitals to sterilize before nailing you with a needle or smth,, It cannot bet 50 euro..

Abysmal Vapor,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I pay 9 euro's for a 200ml bottle of 99% alcohol here in the pharmacy, it's the best I can get over here but I use it sparsely for that price. I'll ask them about the ethanol but I don't have much hopes.

Last time I was in Sweden I was still a child, but I remember the adults talking about how ridiculously hard it was to get boos there. I think the liquor store was only allowed to be open once a week or once a month there in the '80's.

That reminds me though, I got completely wasted on some Bulgarian moonshine when I was driving through Austria this summer. I met British biker on a campsite who was on his way home, and we kinda connected and decided to have a bbq together that evening. But we ran out of boos way to early so he got this little plastic water bottle out of one of his saddle bags and said we should just make due with that instead of wine or beer. When it was time to go back to our tents the bottle was finished, but we were both amazed to find out we weren't able to walk anymore, lmao.

It was peach flavored and it was actually pretty drinkable for something so strong (I suspect it was around 60%). I suspect the guy who made it was a very experienced moonshiner because even the hangover wasn't as bad as it should've been, even though both of us decided it would be best not to drive anywhere the next day :lol:

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom