Hand Crafted Custom RBT Milaana

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
This is awesome mate! :tup:

No glue, battery away from face, serviceable thanks to the screws, I feel we are winning on all fronts with this one.

I was a bit skeptical about how it would look, but the result is actually pretty! :luv:

If it doesn't roll then forget the standing up requirement, I'm sure it would be possible to slide the stem in from the side with a single hand and some practice. And well it's just too good, the positives outweigh this point easily...

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
A simple "shoe" for those who prefer a standing vape might slip over the bottom, enclosing the battery cap, maybe attached to it somehow, or even be a substitute for the current cap.

The simplicity of this build was uncanny. I've put together over a dozen designs, some easy builds that didn't look so great, some frustrations that hit the trash early on, some actually pretty nice, but once I started to think about this idea, it made sense, connections were relatively easy to make, very little wasted space, everything was more accessible, just a good, sound build.

Ahh... takin' a breath, but already thinking about how to maximize this design in both function and aesthetics. Did someone say 20700? They are just a bit hard to get just yet, but I think I'm going to get a couple and give it a try on this model.

UPDATE
Happy to report, it's working like a champ. I made one tiny accessible vent hone on the front, just above the switch. I've been playing this thing like a flute, covering the vent when I need a little extra pull. Didn't expect so much added control. My other models had this same hole, somehow the suction in this unit must be different. But very cool. This beta testing is crushing me, in a good way...

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
My new unit officially has a name.

Here's a TIMBER tease. It's looks very cool with a stock short stem. I love holding this thing in my hand. Cherry wood is both strong and soft at the same time, and the shape is just fits. Because of the ease of build, I can really focus on driving the aesthetics, next build will be off the chart cosmetically, as well tweaking some structural components. The electronics worked out as if the parts were originally made for this unit. Can't wait to rebuild and fine tune...
2OJaBpf.gif

2OJaBpf.gifv

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I agree, but that was the only way I could get to the next level. This idea finally made sense after I really understood the device. The simplicity is what makes it brand new. And size is actually 6.5 x 1.75 in, might try and compress a bit, say 7% all around.

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
I just "crunched the numbers", literally. First of all, after all the faring up, it's down to 1.5 inches dia, maybe a hair more. I'd like to see 1 3/8, but definitely 1 7/16 after sanding. Length can only go so short, and I think it's about 3/4 of an inch less than the current 6. Let's play it safe and call it 5.5 inches. With total confidence, I can say, if desired, I can build this with at 1.5 round x 5.5 tall (add an inch or two for the stem at top, and slight battery cap protrusion at bottom.

Bravesst,
Reactions: Hjalmark

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
This was my "epiphany", everything else is just fluff around the internals of this build. The possibilities are endless with this design. For a bit, my efforts will be focused on the structural, functional, and aesthetic improvements of this model.

Top larger piece is the main body, you're looking down at the bottom. Ignore the 1/2 inch "switch hole", which you can barely see, as it actually goes on the opposite wall. The battery sits in both halves, with the battery contact at the bottom of the shallower hole. The top contact, lower level, hangs into the cavity below the heater, allowing for short, straight, connections. The only wire that goes from one main body to the bottom is from the switch, which means the main body is self contained and can be interchanged with any bottom (or top).

The shortest piece is the top, which only needs to be thicker than the glass that sits on top. You can see the recess formed in the underside of the top that holds down and protects the glass. There will eventually be a 7/8 inch hole in the middle of that countersink.

The bottom, battery section, you can see the threaded insert installed. The "rod" that connects the copper top runs through this section. Heater leads can now be bolted to the underside of the rod with another thumb nut and washers, right in the switch cavity, for a very secure connection.

I know this is all technical bs, but bottom line this design is sound, and addresses some issues that might prevent some ppl from enjoying a Milaana. Interchangeable sections, with only one wire connection to be made, might even be possible. I have a couple of days in my shop coming up, and I hope I can showcase some really sweet stuff.

7DvQSiF.jpg

Last edited:

sickmanfraud

@Bravest just visited your website again and wanted to congratulate you on the site, the work and commend you for the reasonable prices.

One idea, perhaps put a number or letter on the vapes going by in your gallery so a customer can ask for a quote on # ___. It may prevent mistakes in ordering and prices.

Keep up the good work.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Getting closer! It seems the getting the electronics and everything else to function properly is the easy part on this build, I'm not used to the screws, and mistakes are all about the final screw up. That will resolve itself once I can nail down every measurement.

Smaller (1.5 square x approx 6 inches), more compact, two tone. The cap went a little south (recess screw hole too close to edge, when sanding wall go too thin. Gonna go back and make a new top. This unit is close enough to perfect to use for a while, figure out what could be better, and keep going.

6xk59G9.jpg

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
I'm liking that two tone design man.

A base plate made in f the same wood as the cap would complete the design nicely, concealing the battery terminal, providing a flat surface to allow the device to stand upright and offering a nice matching finish to the cap.

Good stuff bud :tup:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Lots of stuff going on both inside and out. There will be a "shoe" if you will, that will allow the unit to stand and conceal the battery. Can't think of any reason not to make it walnut like the top. It will be more for home use, as it would kind of be unnecessary on the go.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Okay, she's about as small as she's gonna get right now. The pic is on a bit of an angle, so it about 5 3/4 long by 1 5/16 around. Here Timber is sporting an @Alan short stem, very nice against the walnut cap. I want to find a bottom cap solution, but I know, for me what will happen, unless it's attached or necessary for it to work, I'll wind up leaving it off, because right now the bottom battery load is super easy. I can change a battery in a few seconds, one handed if necessary. So unless the change is solid, I'm sticking with this, or variations there of.

hI2KHnV.jpg

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
That's great... but come on, you know we want some pics from ALL angles :nod:

Nice work man :clap:

Thanks so much. I'm off for the next three days. I plan on perfecting, taking a bunch of Timber pics from all angles.

For the holidays, I'm going to offer this design at only $225 ($125 with Milaana trade in). At this point I think my new addiction is building custom Milaanas and now Timbers, so for the time being I'm happy to work kinda cheap.

As I hunt down resources, supplies are limited on brand new units, but if you've got a trade in, I can rebuild, refurbish for you at any time. Right now units are cherry, with a walnut cap. I'm working on a bottom cap as well, and this will be an available add on once finalized. Here's the link to my menu / price list page on my website.

https://vapwood.com/menu-/-price-list

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
The challenges have changed. We have inline, bottom load battery and heater / gong. I squeezed tight and we're at 5 3/4 in length, six with cap. No epoxy is used, or any adhesive for that matter.

Now we want an elegant FLAT bottom. I will work on this, but I personally love the easy access, and ability to do a super quick battery change. The battery on the bottom where the copper cap can do a 360, is very easy to work. Also, I'd never leave the vape standing up, it's too tall and thin, naturally I lie it down.

I have a few ideas about flat bottom cap, but don't want it to get boxy, awkward. Has to stay sleek, elegant, simple.

Prolusio

Man, I love that Timber design! The squared cylinder is an excellent idea to prevent rolling. Looks much better with that top cap IMO. Does that increase the distance to the heater joint as well? Like is it recessed beneath that cap or kind of inside of it? Just wondering how much shorter it makes the short stems, if at all.

I'm not too worried about a bottom cap, I don't like to stand my milaana up either. But I would be interested in a matching shoe/stand! If they could be kept relatively minimal/inexpensive.. I wouldn't really want a stand that takes up much more room than just the vape.

I'm definitely going to have to send my Milaana into you for an upgrade some day soon! (if you do international orders?) I love to bring the device out for some roasty toasty goodness; but I have one of the roughest looking Milaanas I've seen. The pics being posted by members lately really make my device look last gen by comparison. I'm happy to see how much they've improved, but my VAS flares up every time I realize I could have a prettier one :lol::D.

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Here's a nice solution to the bottom cap that I personally like. It'll be an accessory base that holds the basic, battery, stem, doob tube, pic. Simple to build, so I can sell at a very reasonable price. I could work in an ABV case, that will complete the project, going to work on that next.

The base solves the standing problem, but keeps unit stealth.

Man, I love that Timber design! The squared cylinder is an excellent idea to prevent rolling. Looks much better with that top cap IMO. Does that increase the distance to the heater joint as well? Like is it recessed beneath that cap or kind of inside of it? Just wondering how much shorter it makes the short stems, if at all.

I'm not too worried about a bottom cap, I don't like to stand my milaana up either. But I would be interested in a matching shoe/stand! If they could be kept relatively minimal/inexpensive.. I wouldn't really want a stand that takes up much more room than just the vape.

I'm definitely going to have to send my Milaana into you for an upgrade some day soon! (if you do international orders?) I love to bring the device out for some roasty toasty goodness; but I have one of the roughest looking Milaanas I've seen. The pics being posted by members lately really make my device look last gen by comparison. I'm happy to see how much they've improved, but my VAS flares up every time I realize I could have a prettier one :lol::D.

I'm here to make your Milaana prettier, and this body is a sound build to keep function at 100 percent. I can do international for you.

Sorry, forgot to answer question on heater distance. The top cap basically comes up and wraps around the inserted stem, not affecting stem distance to screen, nor heater distance to screen or stem. So function is maintained. It insulates and protects the glass.

T2SWi1s.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Timber Unregulated 20700
I've been trying to get the Sanyo 20700's, but IMR is always out of stock, so I decided to try another brand. It's actually not much extra work, and I don't think the battery hole needs to be much larger, so clearances should still be maintained. Should fall together nicely. I'm curious to see power stepped up, both in oomph, and distance.

Once this happens, if it works out, I'll offer it as an option (18650 or 20700). Now that my Timber design is pretty set for the time being, I'm going to work on accessories for both Timber, as well as stock Milaana.

Timber Station

Now that I've designed a simple stand for the Timber, I realize how nice a little "station" is, with room for spare batteries, doob tube, tool, and maybe even ABV and possible even a small charger built in. Here's a pic of just a quick prototype I put together so you get the idea, but I envision a very cool situation.

And I think I've come up with a "cap" solution for the bottom, as well as the larger stand.
aRt3XMK.jpg

Last edited:

Bravesst

Full Steam Ahead
Manufacturer
Here's where we are in the Timber build progression.

TIMBER UPDATE

1. All glue and epoxy have been eliminated from the unit entirely
2. The battery is now loaded from the bottom
3. The battery now is inline, directly under the heater, away from heat and your face
4. The GONG is fixed and protected with a wooden cap and silicone sleeve
5. The unit is built in 2 (or 3 with new bottom cap) sections that are screwed together, allowing easy service to be performed
6. The switch is now recessed for beauty and stealth
7. Multiple vent holes for less draw restriction
8. A simple or elaborate base / stand is an option
9. New removable bottom cap coming soon
10. Unregulated 20700 units coming soon

Brand New: $225 / Rebuild: $125 (holiday special)*
I'm hunting down raw materials, which can be quite a challenge. In the meantime supplies for brand new units are limited, so right now it's first come first serve, but I'm always happy to refurbish your current unit.

*I stand behind all units I build and guarantee serviceability for one year.

https://vapwood.com/

Last edited:
Top Bottom