Gupta: 'I am doubling down' on medical marijuana.....

lwien

It's so refreshing (and overdue) to see a scientific mind like Sanjay Gupta investigate this subject in an unbiased way. After all, wasn't Dr. Gupta adamantly opposed to MMJ just a couple of years ago, before he began to look closely at the facts?

Yup.

As CNN is pulling back the Wizard of Oz curtain on cannabis, Fox News is doing just the opposite by opposing the idea of any type of legalization and this opposition is expressed throughout their programming. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if O'Rielly did an anti-Gupta segment on his show tonight.

Hats off to CNN...............Now lets see if any of the networks picks up the ball on this.

I also want to see if the Democrats will pick up the ball on this. Considering what the polls say in regards to how people view legalization, this could be a very smart move for them that would just further seperate them even more from their Republican counterparts.

My money is on Obama changing the category one ruling on cannabis in the name of scientific research before he leaves office. He's working on his legacy and this could be a nice part of that legacy and Gupta is handing him this on a silver platter.

Last edited:

Gunky

The program milked it for sensationalism - complete with convulsing children. Instead of just telling the story straight out they dramatized it for 45 minutes. Yeah, whatever. They gave a platform to that idiot, Patrick Kennedy, and implicitly approved his stupidity. Self-serving bs for for Gupta and CNN, but progress of a sort.

The idea that any form of cannabis - leaf, bud, extract, whatever - could contain 60% pesticide by weight, volume, whatever.... is laughable.

Gunky,

lwien

The program milked it for sensationalism - complete with convulsing children. Instead of just telling the story straight out they dramatized it for 45 minutes. Yeah, whatever. Self-serving bs for for Gupta and CNN...

You have a real flair for the obvious there, Gunky. Of course this is all about ratings. CNN is a business for Christs sake. Of course they're going to dramatize it. The whole purpose is to generate viewership so advertisers will advertise more. So what else is new. Do you really think that if they took all of the dramatization out of it, that it would make for a more compelling presentation?

The fact remains that this type of programming WILL have a positive impact in accelerating legalization and for me, that is really what is important here.

Last edited:

Gunky

You have a real flair for the obvious there, Gunky. Of course this is all about ratings. CNN is a business for Christs sake. Of course their going to dramatize it. The whole purpose is to generate viewership. So what else is new. Do you really think that if they took all of the dramatization out of it, that it would make for a more compelling presentation?

The fact remains that this type of programming WILL have a positive impact in accelerating legalization and for me, that is really what is important here.

I guess. Everybody is gushing about Gupta, brain scientist. Give me a break! Media personality and ratings whore is more like it.

And they do their little genuflections to the drug war. The first minute of it they show
'stoners' exhaling smoke and proceed to disassociate from that. No, we are here about desperately ill kiddies whose parents tilt lances with Chris Christie... Not those self-medicating slobs out there in limbo, whose knowledge and practices we disavow until somebody in a lab coat gives his stamp of approval...

Last edited:
Gunky,

lwien

I guess. Everybody is gushing about Gupta, brain scientist. Give me a break! Media personality and ratings whore is more like it.

Again, a flair for the obvious. Yes, Gupta is a neurosurgeon, which is also a business. He's also a media personality, which is also a business. The main purpose of a business is to generate income. That's what CNN is doing and that's what Gupta's doing. So big wooptedoo !!

As all businesses, that's what they SHOULD be doing, generating income and profits, but that doesn't take away from the good that they are doing here. You seem to think that being active in a business and being pro-active in a good cause is somehow mutually exclusive..........which they are not.

lwien,

olivianewtonjohn

And they do their little genuflections to the drug war. The first minute of it they show
'stoners' exhaling smoke and proceed to disassociate from that. No, we are here about desperately ill kiddies whose parents tilt lances with Chris Christie... Not those self-medicating slobs out there in limbo, whose knowledge and practices we disavow until somebody in a lab coat gives his stamp of approval...
Gupta is a practicing neurosurgeon.....

olivianewtonjohn,

lwien

Gupta is a practicing neurosurgeon.....

Yup. Does 10 to 12 surgeries a week.

He's also an assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

I'd say that he qualifies a bit more than just being a "media whore"............lol.

Gunky, I think the following saying makes a lot sense here in this situation and that is, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".

Last edited:

olivianewtonjohn

Yup. Does 10 to 12 surgeries a week.

He's also an assistant professor of neurosurgery at Emory University School of Medicine and associate chief of the neurosurgery service at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

I'd say that he qualifies a bit more than just being a "media whore"............lol.

Gunky, I think the following saying makes a lot sense here in this situation and that is, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth".
Exactly when I think of media whore, I think of that cunt ann coulter

Jambi619

Cannabis Crusader

Its called an appeals to emotion brah

Gunky

Its called an appeals to emotion brah
Yuh. That's not exactly the same as Mr. Science. More like ratings whore. Potploitation. He had 45 minutes to convey info. How much science did you get? Very little. About half was cute mother wringing hands and rushing off to convulsing child.

And please Lwien buddy, don't lecture on biz gotta make dough. There are standards of journalism. This is not exactly a high point in journalism or science. Titillation and cheap emotionalism. Yeah, I suppose in the desert of what now passes for informative media coverage of this issue, this is good, sort of, if you hold your nose here and there. That isn't saying much.

Last edited:

Jambi619

Cannabis Crusader
Yuh. That's not exactly the same as Mr. Science. More like ratings whore. Potploitation. He had 45 minutes to convey info. How much science did you get? Very little. About half was cute mother wringing hands and rushing off to convulsing child.

And please Lwien buddy, don't lecture on biz gotta make dough. There are standards of journalism. This is not exactly a high point in journalism or science. Titillation and cheap emotionalism.
Did you see the first one? It was more sciencey, less tear jerky.

FlyingLow

Team NO SLEEP!
Hitting people on an emotional level is EXACTLY what it's going to take to jump start getting cannabis rescheduled off of category one status. Once it is rescheduled, only then can scientific research go into full swing.

I could not agree with you more. That is one of the things I took from the program, that only once cannabis is rescheduled and no longer a felony, will docs and scientists have the liberty and ability to experiment, run trials, and create relevant data to support medicinal use.

Gunky

It was kind of sweet seeing Christie get dinged for yet another traffic tie-up.

Gunky,

Snake Plissken

Transcendentalist
I respect the fact, and think that it's pretty rare for someone in the medical community to say that they were completely wrong about anything - and then to become a proponent for the opposition.

If you or I want more honest reporting, we can resort to alternative media outlets. Most of the country/world relies on the filtered news from mainstream outlets - of which gupta is a well respected household name. We're not going to convert people who have been told lies forever at a drum circle, rather from a source they respect and trust. Now if we can just get pat Robertson on board.....

Snappo

Caveat Emptor - "A Billion People Can Be Wrong!"
Accessory Maker

And please Lwien buddy, don't lecture on biz gotta make dough. There are standards of journalism. This is not exactly a high point in journalism or science. Titillation and cheap emotionalism. Yeah, I suppose in the desert of what now passes for informative media coverage of this issue, this is good, sort of, if you hold your nose here and there. That isn't saying much.
Our daily newspapers and magazines are written for a majority of readers who are on a 7th to 9th grade reading comp level at most. 2014 news television is not designed to appeal to a level of experience or sophistication above that. Gupta's presentations are kindergarten-level infomercials for the masses. We here on FC and similarly others worldwide who are experienced and in-the-know must watch this spectacle with patience, hard as that may be. We are still the 'underground' movement, but I sense a positive and far reaching change is upon us. Tally ho!

dorkus_molorkus

Im sorry but while this is all wonderful etc.

I went away from this show feeling that this was a massive plug for big pharma to come in and save everyone.

the only thing missing was 'This program was brought to you by GW pharmaceuticals'

This is a corporate plug for 'let us take the guesswork out for you & take our medicine made by us in a lab, go and petition your congressman now! '

remember folks there is none to not much money to be made being able to medicate yourself at home with something you grew yourself or purchased at a dispensary. But there is a fortune to be made outta pills via health insurance and Obummercare. Thats where the real money is at.

Lets not forget about those govt held patents they mentioned?

But wont someone think of the children? This will let these poor poor children have medicine and sort out those pesky stoners.

I cant help feeling that this is more about dollars and more corporate bullshit in the long run being disguised as compassion for children & perceived political capitulation to the will of the people over the short to medium term.

Now pls dont get me wrong, it took me many hours to watch because I had to keep turning it off for a bit due to emotion off it all. But the biggest message I got was 'Big pharma to the rescue'

These poor little kids and this show in particular are going to change the world in regards to its perception to cannabis.

I just dont think that change will be quite what we all had in mind.

FWIW-The ability to move to another state is a blessing. In my country and many others the only choice to have your kids taken away,and go to jail or have your kid die. these people have a 3rd choice that many do not.

just saying peeps, not trying to be inflammatory

Gunky

Yes, there is this curious Calvinistic strain in the way Gupta/CNN are going with this. Anything that gets you 'high' must be bad. (Or at least for a different audience segment and another program where we send reporters to Colorado to get high on camera.) So we'll focus on cannabidiol. Doesn't even get you high. Never mind that it doesn't work without THC.

Gunky,

olivianewtonjohn

I went away from this show feeling that this was a massive plug for big pharma to come in and save everyone.

the only thing missing was 'This program was brought to you by GW pharmaceuticals'

This is a corporate plug for 'let us take the guesswork out for you & take our medicine made by us in a lab, go and petition your congressman now! '

remember folks there is none to not much money to be made being able to medicate yourself at home with something you grew yourself or purchased at a dispensary. But there is a fortune to be made outta pills via health insurance and Obummercare. Thats where the real money is at.

But wont someone think of the children? This will let these poor poor children have medicine and sort out those pesky stoners.

I cant help feeling that this is more about dollars and more corporate bullshit in the long run being disguised as compassion for children & perceived political capitulation to the will of the people over the short to medium term.

Now pls dont get me wrong, it took me many hours to watch because I had to keep turning it off for a bit due to emotion off it all. But the biggest message I got was 'Big pharma to the rescue'

These poor little kids and this show in particular are going to change the world in regards to its perception to cannabis.

FWIW-The ability to move to another state is a blessing. In my country and many others the only choice to have your kids taken away,and go to jail or have your kid die. these people have a 3rd choice that many do not.

I see where your coming from but I strongly disagree. The facts are not always black and white. Its not medicine=bad is it? I mean there is PLENTY of data to back up that medicine has made an impact in average life span. If big pharma comes out with a pill that is safer/or more effective than a previous big pharma pill isnt that a good thing? Are all pills bad? People are already extracting CBD and other canabinoids, whats the difference if other compounds are extracted and/or improved with other compounds? It could only be good thing if people are given a choice to take a pill for their ailment or vaporize plant material. Its more options after all, MJ is on the fact tract to being legal in the US and many other countries.

olivianewtonjohn,

Gunky

CNN/Gupta had 45 minutes of air time to discuss the science. Why didn't they talk nuts and bolts about dosages using extracts? They were willing to spend hundreds of thousands following this family around but couldn't be bothered to actually help them analyse the extract they made or suggest quantitative methods?

Gunky,

lwien

Ya know what's kinda ironic about this? It wasn't long ago that we were blaming big pharma for keeping MJ illegal and now we're sayin' that big pharma wants it legal. Funny how things change, eh?

But yeah, I agree that big pharma along with tobacco companies stand to make bazillions off of legalized cannabis, but again I say, for me, the bottom line to this program is that it will help to spur legalization and regardless what kind of bow they put on the package, to me, that's a good thing.

CNN/Gupta had 45 minutes of air time to discuss the science. Why didn't they talk nuts and bolts about dosages using extracts?

Simply because it would not make for a compelling program for the general viewership. While you and I along with the general community here would love to see stuff like that, the general public could care less. They just want to know why or why not it should be legalized.

Last edited:
Top Bottom