Guilt... Why Do I Feel It When Using Cannabis?

Ven

Praying Mantis
I don't know what it is, but I often feel guilty about smoking marijuana, does anyone else ever feel this way? I hope I'm not being taken in by media propaganda bullshit, I know the truth that weed isn't dangerous, and that vaping it only makes it healthier. I don't feel 'addicted' to weed, it's just I rarely find a time when I'm not working or in school to not smoke weed :|. My family isn't supportive, but they are tolerant, and alot of my friends smoke weed so it's messed that I'm questioning myself like this..

I am wrong to feel this way? My family isn't supportive, but they are tolerant.

Ven,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
Ven said:
Am I wrong to feel this way?
Not at all Ven. You can feel however you'd like to feel about Cannabis. In fact, if you decided today that Cannabis IS detrimental to YOUR health, be it metal or physical or social or whatever, if it's true in your particular situation then that's fine--that, in a way, is the reality of that situation. If you experience Cannabis as something that comes "with strings attached", in your case guilt, then that's genuine and it's not to be denied, but rather should be explored and hopefully explained. IMO what makes "opinions and personal experiences" dangerous is when we begin to assume that these are truths that extend beyond our own individual lives and experiences, when we assume whole sale that what works for one will work for all...well then we begin down the slippery slope that leads to close mindedness and totalitarianism. I happen to share this feeling with you, this feeling of guilt, but I know that not everyone feels that way so while it wouldn't be fair to say "smoking Cannabis makes you feel guilty" it certainly is fair to say "smoking Cannabis makes ME feel guilty". I think what I'm trying to say is pretty transparent.

Ven, you have to ask yourself WHY. Cannabis is not tickling your guilt receptors or something, it's not exactly a chemical response that occurs every time you imbibe some Cannabis, is it? In my mind guilt is something much more subtle and complex: it is a psychological issue and as such it has MANY potential causes and many potential methods of expressing itself in ones life. I doubt there is one reason for feelings of guilt, but in my experience it is more like your conscience telling you to wake up and look around you. Perhaps it is time to put down the whip for a few and evaluate the world as it is.

I'll tell you why I feel guilty using Cannabis. I think of all the have-nots, of all the things that are so backwards and crazy in this world, and it makes me realize that most people have to work way, way harder than I just to survive and have a base line existence. I am the type of person that wants to be involved: in my community I see issues and I want to help, in my family there is an abundance of issues and I do all I can to help, and in the world well...we all have eyes, there is clearly many things that could stand some improving, so there too, I wish to help. The main problem I have with Cannabis, and the it is NOT with the plant itself but rather with the particular habits and usage rituals I personally have built up around that plant, but yes the problem I have is that when I'm using, especially daily usage, then I don't get anything else done. I get my absolute necessities, you know I go to work and I make my meals and I get some exercise and I see my family and stuff...but when I'm using Cannabis hard it is so, so, SO easy to be content with absolutely nothing. You can just toke and sit there and zone out a bit and feel a little better about the world and your life....because it makes you feel good and peaceful. This has made me feel incredibly selfish lately. I am sick of the material, commercialized lives we lead and the only way to make change in the world is to reach out to the world and become active in it...and I find too much Cannabis makes me content to just you know...sit in front of my computer and do nothing much at all.

The thing is that these are personal, circumstantial issues. Does Cannabis "cause" guilt? No. One of the major errors we have made in recent history is the judgment that you punish the thing, and not the act. Cannabis isn't out to hurt anyone, Cannabis as an organism is more or less benign, more or less just like any other organism. It is what people do with that organism that causes trouble. Yet people can do bad things to themselves by breathing to much air too quickly, or not breathing enough air, or by drinking too much water or by eating too much...all things we NEED to do to survive but which could potentially be fatal activities in the proper context and dosage. There's an old addage and I have no idea who said it or exactly how it goes but the gist is something along the lines of "the difference between a medicine and a poision is the dosage". It's so true, but there are other things that factor in as well: the habits you've built around Cannabis may be unhealthy, and they may indeed be affecting your life as a whole. Guilt, in my particular circumstance at least, stems from a psychological realization that I am not fulilling my whole potential when I'm using Cannabis heavily. So, while I still feel Cannabis itself is benign it can be used in such a way as to bring destruction and unhappiness into peoples lives. It's all about context, and perhaps your guilt is simply your subconcious telling you that it is time to reevaluate your particular context.

I hope this helps bro, and I hope the message was loud and clear: there's no reason to feel guilty if you enjoy and partake of Cannabis, the guilt is simply from spending too much time, money, energy, etc. on something at the expense of the rest of the things in your life. Take sex as another example: there's nothing wrong with sex and in fact it's quite healthy, enjoyable and it serves a very important purpose, BUT it's amazingly easy to begin obsessing about it an let it take over a whole portion of your life (especially when you're under attack by hormones). This is just as unhealthy, and one can become obsessed addicted to anything... One of the major high points of life (IMO) is that there are ENDLESS amounts of things to do and see and create and discover, billions of people to meet and other organisms to interact with, place to see and just a boundless amount of possibilities...and so the REAL shame is when one spends so much of their precious time going through the same motions, time and again...who knows how long you really have on this planet and if you'll ever be back? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with using Cannabis, all I'm saying is that if ANYTHING you do, be it substance or hobby or whatever, if anything you do begins become so ritualistic that it loses its novelty and enjoyment, why continue doing it? There is a huge world of experiences out there to be had, and Cannabis isn't going anywhere as far as I can see. Evaluate your mind, and you may well be surprised what sentiments you find floating around in there.

I will always love the herb, and always defend its beneficial properties and its right to exist as a living organism, but I will also always love life more than any single experience IN life.

partially veiled,
hey Ven, my :2c: , yes you are believing the media hype and to a degree it is true......smoking is bad :mad: ...VAPING the sacred tree otoh is very very good! :) . and dont forget that guilt didnt exist til it was invented by the church to keep us all from thinkin fer ourselves.. my advice? enjoy your herbal pleasures- give up guilt not green! after all you prolly breathe more shit in walkin to the store once than you do vapin the whole day away! peace, may your days be sunny and your skies full o cloudss

thevapedcrusader,

partially veiled

Lo Boob Oscillator
To a degree I agree with you Vaped Crusader, and yes, it is MUCH better if you can just slip out of the guilt altogether and just live your life in a positive, productive way. It's important to remember no one is perfect and everyone has some "fault", even if it's only a fault in the eyes of others. Yet some people can't just turn the world off like that that. Nor is it always healthy or advisable to do so. There really ARE things happening out there every day in the world, and how we react to those events and circumstances depends on who we are: genetically, emotinally, mentally, whatever...who we are as individuals.

Guilt was not invented by the church. Shame may have been part of the Church's scare tactics, but just because fear mongers use certain things to their advantage does not mean they created them. Guilt is a psycho-spiritual response (purely my opinion) and REAL guilt does not come from outside the body. People outside of your may be able to make you feel shame and all of that stuff, but guilt, IMO, stems from a personal feeling of remorse...and no on can really MAKE you FEEL remorse. Emotional responses are sacred, and they cannot truly be faked.

:2c: :peace:

partially veiled,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
damn PV all of this makes me quite sad. I see cannabis as a life enhancer...not whats its focused on 100%.

I do see your point on the fact that weed can become a full time job..making the quality of it seem faux.

...you really got me thinking man

:peace: (if u give up the vape scene all togeather..sell me your vhw!) god forbid you even sell your gear but if worst comes to worst....

Hennessy1414,

stonemonkey55

Chief Vapor Officer
Manufacturer
PV - Thank you very much for that well written piece. It sums up my thoughts 110% even though some of those things you wrote about had just been swirling in my head and I just never vocalized to anyone. While I love cannabis as much as the next guy, I have noticed things in my life where I would choose cannabis consumption over some new experience and I do feel like that I am missing out on somethings because of that. Thank you PV for that insightful piece.

stonemonkey55,

lwien

It's soooo easy to get caught in ruts, in EVERYTHING we do, including cannabis. Drugs, sex, job, exercise, hobbies, 'puters, games, etc etc etc. Hell, it wasn't too long ago that my addiction to WoW was TOTALLY taking over my life. But that can happen with anything.

PV is soooo right. There's so much in this world to experience, that it would be a shame to spend all your time on just a few.

lwien,

lwien

stickstones said:
More experiences...that's why I own multiple vapes! :D
:D.........Going on my second one. Only been vapin' less than a month.

lwien,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Shit PV you have an amazing way of putting things into words. Your first post is exactly how I feel about weed these days. Don't get me wrong I still love the sacred green and so enjoy getting high but when my consumption of a daily nature I find myself slipping into a world exactly as you explained ... a world where I fail to realise my full potential ... I am content to just spin my wheels and let shit pass me by.

I don't wanna preach because I'm definitly very much pro cannabis and pro freedom of choice but I have a bad habit of over doing things and need a balance in life that DOESN'T involve getting smashed 24 x 7.

vaporcloud,
Reactions: MyCollie
Top Bottom