Great TV !!!

StickyShisha2

i just watched the first few episodes of the Newsroom.

good show. i hope it doesn't get too soap opera like.

StickyShisha2,

lwien

i just watched the first few episodes of the Newsroom.

good show. i hope it doesn't get too soap opera like.

Yeah. I think it's still trying to find it's way. It's still a bit rough around the edges, but it has potential.

lwien,

lwien

Just finished watching Newsroom tonight. Such a strange show. It was all kinda sit-comish, that was until the last 5 min. and then it became..................riviting.

I've never seen a show like this that is so obviously trying to find it's legs but has moments of such brilliance.

Weird how a show can bring back something to you that you haven't thought about in a long time and get ya to shed a tear..............all over again.

But in one of the funnier moments, the best line in the show: "I'm a Republican, damnit. They just THINK I'm a liberal because I believe that hurricanes are caused by a drop in barometric pressure rather than gay marriage". :cool:

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
I'm a big fan of HBO series. I had watched an ep or 2 of The Wire when it was first in reruns, but was lost on the story and never got into it.

I just finished season 1. OMFG GREAT SHOW! I was watching 3 or 4 eps a day, so addictive!! Season 2 is starting off pretty sweet too.

JDSupreme,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I've been on a bit of a nostalgia trip recently and have been watching the X-Men Animated Series from 1992
:lol:
It shows it's age a bit, but it's pretty damn fun to watch...
Especially for a "kids" cartoon

Also, The Gruen Transfer/Gruen Planet (It changed it's name between seasons 4 & 5).
It's a cool Australian show about advertising - It's basically a panel show, with 4 top advertising exectutives, and a comedian host. They discuss advertising, the techniques used, effectiveness, media strategies etc.
It might be a bit hard for those of you in the US to find it, but it's worth it if you can :D

Frederick McGuire,

djonkoman

I'm also in a nostalgiamood lately, watching the dukes of hazard again. but now I also want to get into dexter, already saw the first episode a while ago but never came around watching more(was also getting into doctor who at that time), some of my friends are pretty far with watching dexter now and recommend it.

djonkoman,

JustOnCloud9

Ate the Kumo Kumo no mi
I'm a big fan of HBO series. I had watched an ep or 2 of The Wire when it was first in reruns, but was lost on the story and never got into it.

I just finished season 1. OMFG GREAT SHOW! I was watching 3 or 4 eps a day, so addictive!! Season 2 is starting off pretty sweet too.

season 2 is the lesser season among the 5 and is still amazing. Here is one of my favorite scenes from season 1:

I just recently crammed season 4 of breaking bad in like 2 and a half days. That show is off the hook!

JustOnCloud9,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I just got up to date with The Newsroom.
I'm really liking it so far. I've even gone back and re-watched half of them :)
Watching Will overly medicated on edibles gave me a bit of a chuckle. :lol:

Frederick McGuire,

lwien

Watching Will overly medicated on edibles gave me a bit of a chuckle. :lol:

Yup. After telling everyone about his super macho tolerance, he was left doing this a lot....:uhh:, with his boss asking, "What in the hell is wrong with him?" and his producer/ex-girlfriend going....":shrug:" :lol:

And all of this happening right before going live and breaking the story about killing Bin Laden and right before he goes on air, one of the production assistents hands him two notes to keep in front of him on his desk. One reads "Osama----BAD" and the other reads "Obama---GOOD". lol

lwien,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
hmm, this thread put me on to the Game of Thrones, which was a great tip, but I've been downloading the Newsroom and was a little disappointed tbh. It's what I'd call cheesy (I don't know if that term translates across the world?) and quite clumsily blatant in the expositional way that it tackles political issues. And whilst she's quite a cute and foxy milf, the main woman (the producer) isn't that credible IMO. People working on the cutting edge of current affairs can't be that ditzy. And don't get me started on the sentimental piano music accompanying the moments of stirring patriotism that make me nauseous. It's pleasantly watchable still aside of these gripes, and I'll no doubt keep with it seeing as I've invested the time in 7 episodes, and it's on my TED downloader (was it frederick that recommended that? It's useful).

I also downloaded a series of the Gruen Transfer on Fredericks earlier mention of it. I quite like it, though it's a little dry at times like a panel show can be. I'm quite critical of adverts anyway- I hate being force fed advertising and if they're going to do it then they could at least ensure that the adverts are quality. If everyone was a bit more aware and critical of the advertising they responded to then maybe some of the shite adverts would cease to be produced. Wishful thinking maybe. I kind of wish I had went into advertising. Whilst I do hate it in principle, I know I could do it better than some and I'm sure it could be fun and lucrative. Very different career from environmental science though (better paid, I'll bet!).

Finally, I have just downloaded the first two series of Breaking Bad. Only a year after there was a thread on here started about it! The plot synopsis doesn't really appeal to me for some reason, I guess I've just heard so many folk raving about it on here that there must be something to it. Going to watch one tonight and see how it goes.

And my recommendation is Father Ted. I don't know if it made it to America, though I think it's popular in Australia too. It's fucking funny, and even though I've seen them all tens of times I don't really tire of it, even after 15 years. If you've never seen it then I recommend you search it out.

images

lwien

hmm, this thread put me on to the Game of Thrones, which was a great tip, but I've been downloading the Newsroom and was a little disappointed tbh. It's what I'd call cheesy (I don't know if that term translates across the world?) and quite clumsily blatant in the expositional way that it tackles political issues. And whilst she's quite a cute and foxy milf, the main woman (the producer) isn't that credible IMO. People working on the cutting edge of current affairs can't be that ditzy.

Yeah, they're trying to straddle the line between comedy and a serious portrayal of what happens in a newsroom and rather then mesh the two, they go back and forth between the two concepts.

I think the best way to enjoy this show is to not take it too seriously and to just enjoy the ride for what it is.

It seems that they're still trying to get their footing. They have all the right elements. Great acting, great writing and good production. Now they just need it to all jell together.

lwien,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
Re The Newsroom: You have to suspend disbelief to watch it, so trying to relate it to the real world isn't likely to work. I knew this as soon as he started into his tirade in the first few minutes of the first episode. Any news anchor who said what he said would be out of work before he got off the stage.

pakalolo,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Glad you like the Gruen Transfer Marcellus, if you like Wil Anderson (the host) he has a podcast called TOFOP that's pretty funny.
They are doing a series of 4 episodes called "Gruen Sweat" about olympic advertising now too.

I'm a bit behind on breaking bad, I've only watched to the end of season 2, but it's consistently entertaining.

I had a bit of a feeling watching the Newsroom, that I partially liked it because I agreed with most of what they were saying... :shrug:
Every time will was on his "Mission to Civilize" I was (aside from chuckling) sitting there going "Yes...Yes:popcorn: "
I really liked his little speech (lol, I just described half of the show:lol:) where Will basically said "Sorry, I was doing crap news, I'll do good news now... News with Facts:tup:"
Ooh, I've had it on while typing this post, and Will just did his "we are journalists, you aren't" speech to that tabloid woman... :clap:
Olivia Munn does need some acting lessons or something though... She's easy on the eyes, but not the greatest actor in the bunch... She's not as bad as some of the reviews I've read though...

EDIT:
Yeah, TED is handy, I love it mostly for the way it grabs the schedule so it knows when a show is on...
Even if it can't find an episode, I can know exactly when it has aired, and look it up :D
I don't know if you have a big library of stuff (I have over 1200 movies, and over 110 TV shows - over 4TB of stuff :D), but Plex is a handy program for getting metadata/playing back media if you do.

Frederick McGuire,

JDSupreme

Head of Pot
Some great vaked TV:

Time Warp on Science Channel. 2 guys who film all kind of crazy shit (and totally boring normal shit) with high speed cameras, then show it in super detailed slow motion.

Shit will blow your fucking mind. 2 of the coolest things I've seen on there is a drop of water being dropped into water, and lighting a lighter. Freaking insane I tell ya.

Watch this shit people.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I loved the one (I think it might be the 1st episode) where you see a dog drinking.

And that water drop on water one was amazing.

Edit:
I've just finished watching season 2 of Suits.
If you like legal dramas, check it out, it's quite enjoyable.
It does suffer a bit from what I've come to call "House/Goren" syndrome, where a main character hears something innocuous In conversation, and magically figures out their problem, but it's not too bad :lol:

Another edit:
Oooh, Sons of Anarchy Season 5 has started :D
I know what I'll be watching soon ;)

Frederick McGuire,
I like Newsroom. I think Will is fairly believable as a character, though I agree there is no way he'd get away with the shit he does IRL.

kingofnull,

bigtvapes

I'm definately gong to be vaked out for some TV tonight. Arrow, American Horror Story, South Park, and Key and Peele. Great night of TV :-)

I just watched the first 3 hours of battlestar gallactaca (the 2003 version) and it's really really good. I hope the show keeps it up. The acting isn't superb but the writing very much is. Excellent stuff.

lwien

Current favs:

Homeland…….Every episode leave me wanting more.
Boardwalk Empire….GREAT characters. Very well acted. Great sets and costumes.
Arrow……..Not bad. Room to grow
Elementary…….Lucy Liu really plays well off of Jonny Lee Miller. Fun to watch these two interact.
Nashville……..Could be one of the best new shows this season. Acting, direction and GREAT location shots. A little soapy though…...

Really looking forward to American Horror Story

Have not watched Walking Dead…………currently on Dish.

Hey, BTV. I missed watching BSG when it was on, so I watched the whole series (2003 versions) on DVD's. GREAT series. The special effects for a TV series during those years was pretty amazing. Great story telling…...

lwien,

aesthyrian

Blaaaaah
It's Always Sunny and The Walking Dead are back on so I'm all set. Even thought this forced drama bs they are doing in the Walking Dead is getting old, but the content itself is getting better so that's good.

aesthyrian,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH
Top Bottom