Great Ambiance - Atmospheres for Vaporization/Work/Relaxation/Sleep/Meditation/Life

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Hello, FC. This is a thread for sharing things that you use to create ambiance. The first things that come to mind are ambient music (in the vein of Brian Eno, for example) and background noise (such as a white noise generator, or a recording of sounds from nature). However, videos like this one also come to mind:
Viewed in full screen and HD; whether it's alone with your laptop or tablet and a cup of tea, or on a large screen in your living room, with the sound on or off, videos like this one can go a long way toward creating a zen-like state in my experience. Something to turn the screen of your choice into a moving picture frame in which you can lose yourself.

What I'd like to start with here is a fantastic website I've discovered recently called myNoise.net. This website is created by a man from Belgium called Dr. Ir. Stéphane Pigeon, a research engineer and sound designer.

It is full of excellent (and free) background noise generators – individual pages you can load to not only experience the sound of a babbling brook or summer night, for example, but also to craft and adjust the sound produced by adjusting the levels of different layers and frequencies.

The sounds are expertly recorded, randomized, and looped. It is easy to see the love that has gone into crafting these sound generators when you read this page on his website dedicated to the microphones he uses – which he built himself!

Every generator is well produced so that that they all layer together nicely. If you pay a $5 donation you can unlock access to a page which allows you to combine multiple generators into a single page, which is very nice.

He also provides a clever calibration tool that allows you to quickly and effectively adjust some of the generators to adapt to your speakers, environment, and personal hearing to produce an even spectrum of sound (a bit like pink noise).

After first discovering the website, I spent a solid few hours exploring different sounds and layering them. Most of the next few days after that were spent with the website active in the background. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

So come, relax, make a cup of tea, have a vape, explore some ambiance, and share your own.
agpQ4pS.gif

Last edited:

Derrrpp

For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
Here's four really cool videos to check out. They're all 25 minutes long and no dialogue. Just instrumental music and some of the most beautiful imagery this world has to offer. All four can be found on Netflix. (Clicking on an image will bring you to its Netflix page)

nopartofme

Over the falls, in a barrel
Here's four really cool videos to check out. They're all 25 minutes long and no dialogue. Just instrumental music and some of the most beautiful imagery this world has to offer. All four can be found on Netflix. (Clicking on an image will bring you to its Netflix page)
Perfect, this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when it comes to visual ambiance!

And hey, what do you know, the first video I loaded up had Ludovico Einaudi as the background music. Excellent pianist, all of his music is very nice for this purpose too. If interested, I recommend starting with his album Divenire. Work forwards for more experimental, rhythmic music and backwards for more melodic, piano focused music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom