Gone but never forgotten.....(broken glass thread)

SD_haze

Critical failure.

l9UO2ogl.jpg
harry_morgan_640_111207.jpg

aj0125

Was cleaning my 6 arm Ben Wilson bubbler that I absolutely love yesterday when I accidentally shot 99.9 Iso into my eye and dropped My B. Wilson only to have it hit the metal table and break...

I am pretty devastated as I am pretty poor and cannot afford to buy more quality glass. Time to start saving for the Mobius Ion Matrix...

aj0125,

r3vrb

Was cleaning my 6 arm Ben Wilson bubbler that I absolutely love yesterday when I accidentally shot 99.9 Iso into my eye and dropped My B. Wilson only to have it hit the metal table and break...

I am pretty devastated as I am pretty poor and cannot afford to buy more quality glass. Time to start saving for the Mobius Ion Matrix...

WHAT

THE

FUCK

cant you get a cheap replacement piece in the meantime? like $50?

r3vrb,
Reactions: aj0125

b0

Cloudy...

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I share your pain, I have been cleaning a lot of small stuff with iso 99 recently and my hands have been in contact too much. I know I shoud have been using gloves but I have classic rubber gloves, that are not adapted for iso.

So I have been using it bare handed, just avoiding contact as much as possible and rinse immediately if I touch it, even being extra cautious, you get some in your skin, and you really feel the chemical burn after a while, hot water on the contacted zones produces really nasty sensations.

I'm glad I wear glasses all the time because once I got splashed with some nasty shit (percarbonate) when I was cleaning. I would get protective glasses after such a thing if I were you.

I know how annoying it is to wear protective equipment for a small quick task but now I think it's a must after all this damage I can feel on my hands. You also feel the product getting to your system and that's fucking nasty. You get really hot (to eliminate it) and agitated.

Even with the windows open you inhale some of it. To minimize exposition I use a pump dispenser so I don't have to open containers of it and I use tiny amount by tiny amount (couple milliliters), even tough all the precaution I feel contaminated, so I'm going to try to protect myself more.

I still think that it's the best solvent you can find for cleaning nasty shit, and it's relatively safer compared to alternatives. You can smell it at 20ppm and the regulations says a 8hour work day with 400ppm in the air the whole time is the acceptable limit. So that's reassuring in a way. The problem is when you are exposed you can't smell it like before so it's not a precise measure. Maybe asking someone not exposed in your house to smell check for safety, this shit pools on the floor so smell there, maintain a good air flow, minimize the quantity of solvent.

I ordered two pairs of some proper gloves, with nitrile rubber on the outside, as regular gloves are permeable to solvents. Now I'm waiting for the ebay vendor to give me the total.

And yeah, you could get a cheap bubbler, that's always great to have a backup. I would be nervous having only expensive glass, that's great to have cheap pieces, you're way less nervous about them breaking so you can use them in other settings.

Last edited:

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
Clearly you guys havent been pepper sprayed.

Haha, capsaicin ! You can also cut a lot of red peppers while your prepping a meal, rubbing their inside with your hands and stuff, then you wash your hands with just water, forget about it, then you go sit down, chill out.. Hey it itches between my legs. You rub your balls without paying attention... End up kicking and screaming in your bathtub running cold water down there.

Lol it's not so off topic, the bathtub IS a piece killer :)

Last edited:

Roger D

Vapor Wizard
I think the damage on the main can can be fixed but not sure about the A/C. I know it's painful and you must be replaying that terrible moment of inattention in your head allover, like, why, why, did it happen, that really feels like shit. With time it will heal.

I figured it's my 1000th message here :) I wish you luck with the repair and your next pieces ! I remember how bad I was feeling when my mobius got broken, at least I was able to fix it, not like the DG. The damage was similar, just the top of the joint up the reinforcement.

Last edited:

Doug

Just passing time
You echo my thoughts. I think the lattice is salvageable. I have a message into Lev to see if he would fix it. I don't have access to any glassblowers that I know of. The AC is likely gone due to the can damage I would assume.

Thanks for the kind worlds, Roger.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
I miss my fake Roor. The way the downstem didn't fit quite right. The label that faded.

No pictures, as it's in a field now. Was going to give it a proper burial, and changed my mind and just left it there.

Hopefully somebody found it and fixed it.

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
My little oil rig kicked the bucket. I knocked it over and it landed right on the fuckin' joint. The good thing is it was only $60 for a full set, and the better thing is my local headshop has a LOT of budget glass that actually works. I saw some little recyclers for $70, and a few sweet sidecars for $80. Perfect sizes for vaporizing.

Where?

Caligula,

dannkk

I literally winced when you threw it in the dumpster

I am hereby founding the Frederick McGuire home for orphaned glassware.

Blowers, send me your cracked, send me your blemished, send me your misshapen.
I will look after them, and give them the love they deserve. ;)

That probably will never happen. Some one who wants to be known for quality can't have any bad pieces out there.

dannkk,
Reactions: Tweak
Top Bottom