Going on a month long tolerance break throughout October...

Yukon Cornelius

It is now officially deemed OcSober for me :D.

Anyway, I've decided to go on a t-break in order to lower my tolerance that I've built up over the past couple of months. From what I hear, it's definitely worth it when you finally consume again; almost like your first time. Is that true? Plus, I will save a good bit of money.

Wish me luck!

Oh yeah, I was thinking of going ahead and ordering a Purple Days so I can experience it around the holidays, considering the 9-week waitlist. Would it be a worthy investment? I could only imagine using a PD first after taking nice, long t break...:ko:

Yukon Cornelius,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
pre-order that pd. With the t-break it will make the wait feel that much less. Order sooner so you can get it sooner. ;)

at least party it up for Halloween...can't be sober for that :brow:

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
i normally have a cycle for tolerance breaks... 7 weeks on, 3 weeks off. So far that seems too be the usual amount of time for me too build up a tolerance too whatever strain I am on. but sometimes I don't really want too take a break. so instead for those three weeks I will move from high grade too low grade.
but for me the medicinal properties are what I am after. So even if my tolerance is high at that time, I am still benefitting from it medically (glaucoma)

DevoTheStrange,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I'm takin a break too. I get paid 3 times this month and I have a couple of things that I want to buy so freein up 140 a pay check helps out a bunch. I try to take a break at least once a year even if it's for a week here or there. Even a week seems to help with me. Tolerances are a bitch though.

And just like Henny said. Get on the list for the pd. You won't regret it. And if you do you can probaly flip it for a profit. I honestly don't know what I'd do without my pd. I've been in love since it warmed up

minnesnowta,

macbill

Oh No! Mr macbill!!
Staff member
Speaking of tolerances, I find when I am coming to the end of a supply, and I'm really stretching it out, I magically become more stoned on less. I think its more to do with mind tricks than actuality.

macbill,

xaustinx

I was contemplating going on a break through October as well, although my reasons aren't so much the same as yours.

I need to save some money and I wanted the least amount of tolerance possible when my PD comes (around Nov. 7th)
Its going to be hard though because I use it medicinally and Halloween is coming up, and my costume is a Davey Jones mask with a Corona bottle bong, and I dont know if I want to be sober for that.

xaustinx,

Yukon Cornelius

Well, I decided to postpone the start of the t-break until today. I made sure I enjoyed it over the weekend one last time. So, today is the day! I'm still going to make it last at least a month though.

I have one concern though, is it REALLY worth it? Will I notice a substantial difference when I finally vape again? How will it compare to when I only occasionally smoked, after smoking everyday for roughly 6 months?

I'm going to take a break regardless, but I would just like to know what to expect when it's over...

Either way, it will be beneficial because it will save me money and I can focus more on school. Oh yeah, I'm seriously considering going ahead and ordering the PD. Would there be any reason to wait (deals, coupons, discounts in the future, etc.)?

Yukon Cornelius,

SmogTown

Tolerance breaks work for me. How got it works for you depends on your physiology. I don't like taking them but I like the affects afterward :).

SmogTown,

illadelph

vaked fresh daily
im sure you will get super wrecked after not having vaped for a month. :ko:

illadelph,

Oddigy

The difference will depend how you perceive it, at the moment when you're about to sesh again. But regardless, science has your back as far as tolerance goes.

From studies i've read, and i'm sure its pretty much common sense to us, is that tolerance of marijuana is counter-intuitive. Meaning less pot use = more high you get when you do use it. (didnt need me to tell u that lol)

Therefore, science/objectivity is on your side, by smoking less you WILL have a much weaker tolerance. And for the rest? That's up to you and your expectations

After a month break, you'll stop taking pot for granted during your time off and it'll become much more precious. You'll probably be itchin' to get baked, and the longer you go the more intense it'll get (well the first few days are bad, but it gets better. But i mean you know and love it, your not going to all of a sudden hate marijuana - so you'll eventually be craving it psychologically when the break is nearing its end. That's me anyway). For the most part, this is great and you truly look forward to getting baked, and because of those expectations (concerning tolerance, being excited, amount of time passed etc), you will be effected even further so.

Completely disregarding tolerance, simply your expectations and mental sets/schemas affect your high. This explains not only "buzzkills", or being caught in overwhelming situations when you shouldn't be baked, but also, when your excited to get high you tend you have a better experience - than say getting high to put an end to a shitty day. And thats disregarding any breaks, or any change in tolerance itself.

And another note - tolerance can be not only of the chemicals, but tolerance of the environment and situation your in. If you get high somewhere new, or in a situation your not normally high, or even with new people - you're not changing your chemical tolerance, but you'll sure as hell feel different. Essentially, over time you become tolerant of your behavior. By changing your behavior (taking a break) your changing what your body is tolerant of. You'll be tolerant of being sober - or whatever behavior takes place of pot smoking/vaporzing.

Can't say much about the time issue (1 month compared to 6) other than the fact that, the effect will increase. I don't know how long it takes the body to 'get weed outta the system' and how it relates how how much you smoke and how often. Of course, at the far end of this spectrum (away from tolerance) is that you can only reduce your tolerance so much. After a certain period of time, it won't matter how long you wait.

I mean, even though 6 months compared to 1 month break is huge, the comparison from 1 month break from no-break will be quite great. In other words, you won't know what you're missing (until you take a longer break than 1 month, then compare it). If you feel like your tolerance isn't as low as you'd like when you start again, just take another break before your tolerance builds.
Essentially, after any lengthy period of time you'll have a low tolerance in many different aspects, as a noob stoner would.

Like the good ol' days. Remember those? :lol:

Oddigy,

Yukon Cornelius

The difference will depend how you perceive it, at the moment when you're about to sesh again. But regardless, science has your back as far as tolerance goes.

From studies i've read, and i'm sure its pretty much common sense to us, is that tolerance of marijuana is counter-intuitive. Meaning less pot use = more high you get when you do use it. (didnt need me to tell u that lol)

Therefore, science/objectivity is on your side, by smoking less you WILL have a much weaker tolerance. And for the rest? That's up to you and your expectations

After a month break, you'll stop taking pot for granted during your time off and it'll become much more precious. You'll probably be itchin' to get baked, and the longer you go the more intense it'll get (well the first few days are bad, but it gets better. But i mean you know and love it, your not going to all of a sudden hate marijuana - so you'll eventually be craving it psychologically when the break is nearing its end. That's me anyway). For the most part, this is great and you truly look forward to getting baked, and because of those expectations (concerning tolerance, being excited, amount of time passed etc), you will be effected even further so.

Completely disregarding tolerance, simply your expectations and mental sets/schemas affect your high. This explains not only "buzzkills", or being caught in overwhelming situations when you shouldn't be baked, but also, when your excited to get high you tend you have a better experience - than say getting high to put an end to a shitty day. And thats disregarding any breaks, or any change in tolerance itself.

And another note - tolerance can be not only of the chemicals, but tolerance of the environment and situation your in. If you get high somewhere new, or in a situation your not normally high, or even with new people - you're not changing your chemical tolerance, but you'll sure as hell feel different. Essentially, over time you become tolerant of your behavior. By changing your behavior (taking a break) your changing what your body is tolerant of. You'll be tolerant of being sober - or whatever behavior takes place of pot smoking/vaporzing.

Can't say much about the time issue (1 month compared to 6) other than the fact that, the effect will increase. I don't know how long it takes the body to 'get weed outta the system' and how it relates how how much you smoke and how often. Of course, at the far end of this spectrum (away from tolerance) is that you can only reduce your tolerance so much. After a certain period of time, it won't matter how long you wait.

I mean, even though 6 months compared to 1 month break is huge, the comparison from 1 month break from no-break will be quite great. In other words, you won't know what you're missing (until you take a longer break than 1 month, then compare it). If you feel like your tolerance isn't as low as you'd like when you start again, just take another break before your tolerance builds.
Essentially, after any lengthy period of time you'll have a low tolerance in many different aspects, as a noob stoner would.

Like the good ol' days. Remember those? lol
Thanks for the insightful and well-thought out response man! That does make a lot of sense. I've realized I've used marijuana almost like a crutch, instead of a reward (which it truly should be). Moderation is key, just like anything. I've learned that after only occasionally smoking on the weekends, to doing it all day, every day. I turned a great activity into a less-rewarding habit. Like you said, I'm gonna try to change my overall behavior even after the month break by decreasing my usage to maintain the new found tolerance (hopefully :rolleyes:).

Like the good ol' days. Remember those? lol
Oh yes those were the days :ko:!!! When mids would have me couchlocked...oh how I miss that!

Yukon Cornelius,

josh

Good luck. Quitting doesn't work good for me. Tried it a few times over the years. I always get really agitated and don't like being around anyone, can't concentrate, can't eat, etc....

josh,

Yukon Cornelius

Thanks josh. I'm doing fine so far. The only thing I've noticed is that I have a hard time falling asleep, but that's natural for me regardless.

It should be worth it in the end though. I can't find any high grade around here so i have to stick to mids, and they're just not doing the job anymore :(. So a break is pretty much necessary for me at this point...and for other reasons as well.

Yukon Cornelius,

lwien

josh said:
Good luck. Quitting doesn't work good for me. Tried it a few times over the years. I always get really agitated and don't like being around anyone, can't concentrate, can't eat, etc....
This could be indicative of really needing to go on a t-break, no?

lwien,

lwien

Yukon Cornelius said:
The only thing I've noticed is that I have a hard time falling asleep.......
That's one of the main withdrawal symptoms............

lwien,

Yukon Cornelius

That's one of the main withdrawal symptoms............
Yeah true, but I naturally have trouble falling asleep(probably cuz of my anxiety), so I'm just experiencing insomnia more-so now because I don't have any help from the herb, which would normally put me straight to sleep. Nothing too extreme though...I can just never get my mind off it :o!

Yukon Cornelius,

Choism

If you live in ca and you have a mj card, there's no such thing as tolerance.
CA=Dank Buds.

Choism,

Yukon Cornelius

If you live in ca and you have a mj card, there's no such thing as tolerance.
CA=Dank Buds.
EXACTLY! Don't rub it in my face :mad:!!!!

haha j/k, but yeah too bad I'm on the opposite coast! All the MMJ states are out west sadly (well most of them I think)...

Yukon Cornelius,

standard

On day six of a tolerance break. Funny how each day gets easier, life just seems to fill in the gaps with plenty to do.

standard,

Yukon Cornelius

On day six of a tolerance break. Funny how each day gets easier, life just seems to fill in the gaps with plenty to do.
Yeah, stick in there man! How long are you planning on taking your break? I'm finally past the three-day hump, which wasn't really that bad tbh. I just need to stay occupied or I start thinking about it too much, and then that leads to unwanted temptations :uhoh: Just thinking about that first sesh after the break is enough to keep me going though.

Good luck!

Yukon Cornelius,

standard

Yukon Cornelius said:
Yeah, stick in there man! How long are you planning on taking your break? I'm finally past the three-day hump, which wasn't really that bad tbh. I just need to stay occupied or I start thinking about it too much, and then that leads to unwanted temptations :uhoh: Just thinking about that first sesh after the break is enough to keep me going though.

Good luck!
Thanks for the support YC. I'm looking at 20 days total, though if life becomes interesting enough, it may be longer. Actually it's not really about decreasing tolerance as much as just reconnecting to life in a different way. I notice my attention span is longer, and I find conversations with people more engaging.

I only caught myself once thinking about it today, which is a really good sign. When I find myself doing things I used to while high, and enjoying them just as much, it feels like a victory.

Here's what I've been doing to keep myself occupied: ride a bike, walk, get out the address book and call someone I haven't talked to in ages, read a good sci-fi book (Dune), meditate, cook a meal instead of eating out. There's lots of fun to be had.

Good luck on your break too. It's all in managing things moment-to-moment. Each time I feel like partaking or dwelling on it, and I don't--is another piece of freedom. The key for me is to make things a conscious choice, and not use as a crutch at every bump in the road.

standard,
Top Bottom