Discontinued Gn0me - lighter based vaporizers

Polmol

Can't wait to get this baby in the mail!

By the way it's been 2 and a half weeks since Calen sent my package, does anyone know how long it takes for First Class mail international to reach Canada (Montreal)?

Polmol,
Polmol said:

By the way it's been 2 and a half weeks since Calen sent my package, does anyone know how long it takes for First Class mail international to reach Canada (Montreal)?

I'm in northern BC and it look a little over two/three weeks for mine to show up. So it should be showing up any day now.

NeverClever,

weedemon

enthusiast
NeverClever said:
Polmol said:

I'm in northern BC and it look a little over two/three weeks for mine to show up. So it should be showing up any day now.

aww that long??!!!?!?1!....... okay....
okay-face.jpg

weedemon,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Abysmal, in your Gn0meClassic + Micro Bong setup, does some material slide down into the water?

I am thinking of buying some glass but the Gn0me would be almost vertical or with a bigger angle.

vorrange,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well just buy something that will allow some distance between the gnome and your face :). If you worry about material sliding down into water just insert a screen.. .

Abysmal Vapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Hey guys, I just figured Id drop by and let you know I'm now a very happy member of the Gnome club.

Mine was shipped on the 22nd/23rd of feb, and I got it in Australia on the 29th. :D

My only decent torch I have right now is a pen style one that was originally designed as a soldering iron.

It works well enough, but I've just ordered a few others of amazon to see how they go.

I ended up picking up a triple flame jet lighter, a quad flame jet lighter (both under $10) and a chefs style torch thing similar to what Calen posted somewhere in the thread - basically a torch head that connects to a can of butane used in camping stoves.

Now about the gnome:
I picked up a 14mm GonGnome with the WPA.
I sent through some pictures of my SSV heater cover & temp knob to see if my gnome could be matching colors.
When I opened up my little package, and saw my new gnome...
Wow, it's hard to appreciate just how awesome these things look until you see one in person.

I took it over to a friends place to show it off (and that's also the main place I vape, aside from home), and of course, forgot my pen torch. :/
So I borrowed 2 standard jet lighters to see if I could get it going, but all I got were some wispy hits, and a little burnt weed because the water was too high in my bubbler and caused some blowback.

So yesterday I took it back over, remembered the torch, and wow. :brow:
I got a few hits that weren't "thin" but they were on the thinner side, but awesome tasting, and then I got what would have been a lung buster, but I had to bail on the hit half way through. So it certainly can hit hard.
Unfortunately my torch only has enough gas for about 2.75 loads, but that was enough to get me hooked.

I still haven't tried the direct draw half of it yet, just gnome to WPA, but I run most/all of my vapor through water anyways, so that'll happen when it happens.

I'm just curious about everyone's heating techniques, I seem to have developed a decent enough on already, but I've still got some questions:

What part of the flame is best to heat the glass with?
The outer darker blue part, or the inner light blue part?

Approx how much of the rippled area do you heat before hitting it?
I've been getting it so that around half to 3/4 of the heating section will give off the yellow flame.

I'll make sure to post some pics of my little beauty soon.

Frederick McGuire,

cluffy

Vaker
Once I see the yellow and start drawing, I pull the torch back a bit so the yellow is barely showing. This is with the classic though, the GG might be different. The intensity of the yellow flame is a great temperature indicator. It's pretty damned amazing. :ko: A round of applause for the Gn0me!!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

edit: Whoa! I swear I just saw a post with better instructions from the Gn0me, now it's gone! Tricky little guy! The instructions on the Gn0me site are pretty good, and this post explains the hot part of the flame: http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=189651#p189651

cluffy,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Here's a look at the set. They are seriously lovely up-close. The detail is amazing and the colours vivid. Can't wait till I finish work (10 hrs away!!!) and get home to test them out

02032012081.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin',
Reactions: Bananiq

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
wow those pieces look amazing!!! truly a work of art.
J.R.R. your bubbler looks so purdy :D may i ask where u got it from?

ilovebOObs,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
That bubbler is made by Calen as well, to match the rest of my set :)

It really is lovely and the details are ace. The diffuser is super intricate as well as the other little details. I know Calen has been working on the design for quite a while and went through several re-designs before he was happy to ship it to me. All I can say is it was worth the wait - I'm very happy with the stability and craftsmanship of the piece.

Really looking forward to test driving this lot :ko:

Edit: Did you notice the little yellow button on the side of the bubbler? Look closely and you'll see that it's a little chocolate chip cookie - Cookie is my name :D I didn't ask for that it was an embellishment Calen added himself - fookin love it :D

J.R.R.Tokin',

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
Yepper - that's a new design I've been developing for the last month or so - I'm calling it the Trident diffuser (or Tri-diff!) bubbler, because the diffuser design is a tube with 3 lobes, each lobe having individual, small diffusion slits. The design is strong, since it's on the same tubing I build the classic vapes out of (1.5mm thick, vs 1mm for most slide tubes) and the lobes also function as a stop to prevent very long slides from knocking a tooth out of the diffuser. Retail price is going to be $80 for these bubblers, which will accept classic vapes and regular non-GonG slides, and I'll make 'em in a few different colors including the green-blue fade that JRR shows above :D

Pic!
Tri-diff-S.jpg

gn0me,

ilovebOObs

she a beauty gnome. are you planning on making a gong version of the bubbler? either way its a beautiful piece.

ilovebOObs,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Awes0me bubbler Calen ! For sure i am going to consider a custom piece in the future ,,

Abysmal Vapor,

gn0me

gnonsensical
Manufacturer
A ground glass version of the bub may be forthcoming but there are a couple things I've got to consider before producing them... mainly the availability of dewar seal joints, and the fact that in order to use the GonG vape with it, you'd need the GonG adapter (preferably a shorty version, since it would stick out heinously from the top of the bubbler)

But it's definitely a possibility. I'll report back once I can find the specialty joints to do it :D

gn0me,

ilovebOObs

sign me up now!!!!! let me know what i need to do to get in line for one of those setups. :D

ilovebOObs,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Beautifull pieces Tokin', i only grabed the classic for now but that bubbler is amazing!

Once again, love your work Calen! :D

vorrange,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Guess what I got in the mail today? :brow:
3spht.jpg

It worked very well. I'm super stoned right now. :ko:

Do you guys grind up your weed at all or just drop in little nuggets? I just put a little nug in there and starting ripping away at it. I had zero learning curve and before I opened the box I didn't even know what the thing looked like, so it was pretty easy to use with no real knowledge. I'm sure as I use it more my technique will improve, but I was pulling big tasty clouds on my first try. I'm diggin' this thing. :D

Thanks Calen!

:peace:

Stu,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Ok, just had my first go on the Classic and then with the bubbler - :ko: Woop!

Quick first impressions: The heat up time is pretty damn rapid. Functions great. Amazing amount of diffusion from the bubbler (vid on Sunday). Flavour-tastic!

Stu. I medium ground mine. Scooped and inserted the face. Works wonders.

J.R.R.Tokin',
I use pieces that are a little bigger than BB-size for the Gong, and larger for the classic. A rough grind is definitely best if you don't want to add screens into the mix.

I'm glad you like the Gnome, Stu! I flatter myself to think you may have bought it partly to get a part to upgrade the Supreme as I suggested in that thread, but I'm glad you've found it to be a great vape in and of itself. In many (nearly all?) ways, I prefer the Gnome to it.

The bubbler and its diffuser are definitely very cool, I imagine it work very well with an Underdog stem as well.

How do you like the bag? Mine's in the mail right now.

charliedontsurf,

weedemon

enthusiast
hey Stu! thats pretty much exactly what I ordered too! :) GonGn0me with the water pipe kit addon

weedemon,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Hey, weedemon, I think you'll enjoy it. It's very similar to the Vapocane, but it heats up faster. It's also a little easier to heat up the heat exchanger as I can hold it in my hand for the first 30 seconds or so, then pop in on the GG joint. I don't think my Vapocane will be seeing much action anymore.

@CDS. your posts did influence my decision to pick this up, but since I have the V1 Supreme, your mod won't work unfortunately.

@JRR, when you say the "face", are you referring to the second part of the classic? Should I consider the classic if I already have the bigger GonG version? I've found that crumbling up a bud by hand gives me a good grind for the gnome.

I still haven't tried the direct draw, but plan to give it a go here in a little bit.
:peace:

Stu,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hey Stu. I had a good go on the GonG and the Classic.

The main difference is that the Classic is slimmer and quicker to heat. So, for an out-and-about vape the Classic is the better option imo. Also, the way you load the two are different. On the GonG you fill the herb into the slimmer tube whereas you load the fatter tube for the Classic and insert the slimmer 'face' section. The GonG doesn't have a smiley face section :(

I played around with different grinds and found that I preferred to pick the bud very roughly first of all. When the vapor started to diminish I tipped and ground a bit and got a few more big clouds. To avoid sucking particles with direct draw I just didn't pull too hard.

The GonG was definitely more user friendly as I singed my first load a bit with the Classic. But by the second load I had the technique down.

I've still got a lot more 'testing' to do, but am really enjoying them so far. Still haven't tried out the Oil gn0me yet - saving that for my lazy Sunday afternoon tomorrow :brow:

J.R.R.Tokin',

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
I just tried using the direct draw piece with mixed results. I didn't really care for the awkwardness of using it this way. You have to kinda balance the connected GonG pieces in a slight upward angle. I have hand tremors and it made me feel a little silly to have to try and hold it all steady and at the right angle, all the while heating it with a torch.... A calm hand is really needed for this and sadly that is something that I don't have. I felt like I was hitting a crackpipe tbh.

I got good, yet less predictable vapor with direct draw. I'll be sticking to using the WP adapter from now on.

:2c:

Stu,
Top Bottom