Glycerin tincture

wftomlin

I've used a Magical Butter machine to make a couple batches of alcohol based tincture. I used Everclear 190 proof and it's worked well when mixed in tea. I tried putting it under my tongue to speed up the absorption into my system, but 95% alcohol REALLY burns!

So...I'm going to try a batch with glycerin instead of alcohol and I have a couple of questions:

1) The alcohol tincture supposedly lasts indefinitely if refrigerated. What's the shelf life of glycerin based?
2) There was a lot of "sludge" that I just threw away. I thought of maybe putting it in gelatin capsules but figuerd since it was alcohol based, it would eat through the capsules. Would these be digestible? Seems a waste to toss it out.

Thanks

wftomlin,

shredder

I've used a Magical Butter machine to make a couple batches of alcohol based tincture. I used Everclear 190 proof and it's worked well when mixed in tea. I tried putting it under my tongue to speed up the absorption into my system, but 95% alcohol REALLY burns!

So...I'm going to try a batch with glycerin instead of alcohol and I have a couple of questions:

1) The alcohol tincture supposedly lasts indefinitely if refrigerated. What's the shelf life of glycerin based?
2) There was a lot of "sludge" that I just threw away. I thought of maybe putting it in gelatin capsules but figuerd since it was alcohol based, it would eat through the capsules. Would these be digestible? Seems a waste to toss it out.

Thanks

I filter alcohol infusions with coffee filters to get rid of sludge. I wouldn't eat the sludge myself, but I'm not sure if it's harmful. I doubt it would taste good tho.

Not sure on the longevity of glycerin, i gave up on it a few years back, but I do know it doesn't mix well with oils. It is water based. The best I could do was to add a little powered lecithin as an emulsifier and gentle heat to help mix glycerin and hash oil, but eventually it still seperates.

Since then I havn't messed with glycerin infusions because of better alternatives, like coconut oil or hemp oil as a base. Both those last a long time, and coconut oil does well with gel caps in the fridge/freezer forever. I keep a hemp oil infusion in an eye dropper as it stays liquid. You can use it under the tongue or on food. Hope this helps, best of luck

Top Bottom