Glassblowersdirect.com - Affordable quality glass

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Mike does great work and he is FAST. I have received everything I have ordered, from the time I contact him to the time I receive is under a week.

BigDaddyVapor,
Reactions: deadc0ffee

BF3808

I was going to make a thread about it but I always find someone who's willing to help here. So here it goes,,,

I have been combusting for over 10 years now. I have used typical bong/gravity bong when I used to smoke(combust) out of. Can I use the same bong to vaporize? or is it bad idea? why is it bad idea? I don't understand why people wouldn't use the same piece for both smoking and vaporizing.

Does anyone combust and vape at the same time? If so,,,would you combust or vape out of same bong/bubbler? I'm obviously not going to combust out of this beautiful piece because I don't want to make it dirty or have to clean it every time but that's about it. Would it effect the taste if I combust and go back to vaporizing in a same bubbler? I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

BF3808,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
All glass, you can combust and then clean it, anything else, and that burnt flavor is likely to dominate any good taste the vapor has IMO. It's a little hard to explain, once you go strictly vape for a while and learn to appreciate the taste, you won't like the taste of smoke so much, or if you do, you probably won't want to taint your piece with it. It's a different experience all together vaping. You are essentially doing "dabs" right off the bud. You get flavors your taste buds might have never imagined because burning it changes the taste so much. You will also have a different experience with the delivery of the canabanoids. It is more of a gentle high at first, that you ease into over about 10-20 mins. You can rip through a vape bowl, feel some of the effects right away, but after you've gone a few hits, sit back and let it kick in for a bit to see how strong it will be. It's a different ride, and low temp vaping will give you more thc headie high and higher temp vaping will give you more of the body buzz/head as it releases more canabanoids at higher temps, closer to that "stoned" feeling rather than just high. If you use a piece that is "stained" with combusting odor, it will not effect the high of vaping so much, but it might effect the taste/aroma effect, and quality of your vaping experience. I hope this helps.

StickyShisha2

combustion leaves a disgusting coating on all the surfaces it touches.
vaping leaves a magical golden coating that many people want to save and use again.

if you combust in a vape piece, all that magic gold is ruined.

StickyShisha2,
Reactions: BF3808

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Yeah, when I was over my friends' house night before last, one of the guys tried to take my tube and HI over to a piece that was NASTY with combustion resin. I about jumped over the table, to stop him. He knew real fast (not in a mean way) never, do that. I warned him, it would be a most unpleasant experience vaporizing that sweet OG, thru that nasty smelling piece of glass. Luckily he refrained.

Combust and vape? I've only done it once and the guy told me a 1/4 ounce, to take one hit off a blunt. @#$%er didn't pay up, either! Of course, he's the one that gave me 3.5g of top shelf $20g herb for $25. So, I didn't sweat it. However, to me... its opposite spectrum's of the extraction process and totally conflicting. I really can't stand the medicinal qualities of MMJ by combusting. I was almost ready to give up on MMJ completely, because of the smell, the heavy lungs, head and body feel. The hangover "high". Wasn't doing it for me. Switched to vapor. Its so pure and I get the real qualities of the herbs, that do actually benefit me medicinally.

And smoke in my glass? :puke:

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
zNGrN.jpg

Really diggin this set-up jambandphan. I love the versatility of this piece and you are showing how it's done. :tup:

A couple thoughts this morning.

Would a diffused downstem actually contribute to the act of diffusion? I tried the one that came with mine but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I'm really digging the labeled downstem for the purpose of water level. I know if I'm near the "n" in "fuck combustion" that there is enough water. Why don't more glass blowers draw little water lines on the stem for easy reference?

Just a word of warning, I almost broke my mouthpiece yesterday, got stuck to my lip and about fell out when I backed away. It was a close one, :ugh:.

Tweak,
Reactions: BF3808

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
Really diggin this set-up jambandphan. I love the versatility of this piece and you are showing how it's done. :tup:

A couple thoughts this morning.

Would a diffused downstem actually contribute to the act of diffusion? I tried the one that came with mine but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Doesn't seem to do too much, but it does decrease drag and adds a few more bubbles

BF3808

All glass, you can combust and then clean it, anything else, and that burnt flavor is likely to dominate any good taste the vapor has IMO. It's a little hard to explain, once you go strictly vape for a while and learn to appreciate the taste, you won't like the taste of smoke so much, or if you do, you probably won't want to taint your piece with it. It's a different experience all together vaping. You are essentially doing "dabs" right off the bud. You get flavors your taste buds might have never imagined because burning it changes the taste so much. You will also have a different experience with the delivery of the canabanoids. It is more of a gentle high at first, that you ease into over about 10-20 mins. You can rip through a vape bowl, feel some of the effects right away, but after you've gone a few hits, sit back and let it kick in for a bit to see how strong it will be. It's a different ride, and low temp vaping will give you more thc headie high and higher temp vaping will give you more of the body buzz/head as it releases more canabanoids at higher temps, closer to that "stoned" feeling rather than just high. If you use a piece that is "stained" with combusting odor, it will not effect the high of vaping so much, but it might effect the taste/aroma effect, and quality of your vaping experience. I hope this helps.

That was FAST!!! Now I understand why people don't like to use for both combusting and vaporizing. You made it clear. Thanks a lot.

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I am finding that if nothing else the extra downstem added is mainly keeping me from wearing the main joint out so fast, I got one that has a 18mm female top. The main difference I notice, with the extra stem in, when I draw on it, it's more of a purr, without the stem, its a bit more of a chug. So it is doing something, just not sure how much difference it's really making.

Ontariovapes

I feel bad for all interested parties outside the US, but I'm not offering one for sale. I already have a buyer and if for some reason he wasn't interested, I doubt I'd obtain a 2nd unit. Offering or asking in the threads is selling or soliciting, and is likely to collect an official warning. Your post, strictly speaking, is a rules violation. If you want to ask a US buyer to help you out, use PM, not a post.

There's nothing preventing Canadians (or anyone outside the lower 48) from arranging a 'buy and ship' transaction with a US member, as a favor. And anyone is also welcome to buy an extra to sell in the Classifed section, to someone across the border/pond. The Classifieds are not meant to be used for profit taking though, so any extra $ added to Sam's price should only be there for the extra shipping cost.

I'm sorry but your hostile response was totally uncalled for. You were the one who mentioned selling it in the first place. I only offered to "take it off your hands". In no way is that an offer to buy or sell. I thought you might be donating it. I believe this response is an abuse of your power as a moderator and I do not appreciate being bullied in this way. You owe me an apology or I will report YOU to a moderator, as I believe this response is a contravention of the rules.

Ontariovapes,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
I'm sorry but your hostile response was totally uncalled for. You were the one who mentioned selling it in the first place. I only offered to "take it off your hands". In no way is that an offer to buy or sell. I thought you might be donating it. I believe this response is an abuse of your power as a moderator and I do not appreciate being bullied in this way. You owe me an apology or I will report YOU to a moderator, as I believe this response is a contravention of the rules.

How was that response hostile? max correctly pointed out that you could be given a warning point and generously didn't give you one. Why should he apologize for that? Instead of attacking him you should be thanking him. Also:

I only offered to "take it off your hands". In no way is that an offer to buy or sell. I thought you might be donating it.

Do you take us all for fools?

Feel free to report max to me, or both of us to someone else.

pakalolo,
Reactions: max

max

Out to lunch
Not only were you soliciting in a thread (yes, offering to take one off my hands is asking to buy)-clearly against the rules, but I was also clearly stating that if my friend didn't choose to buy, I would likely pass on buying a 2nd one. And if you'd made your offer in a PM, there would have been no rules violation at all.

How you could take my response as hostile, when I was just pointing out a rule you were breaking, while not penalizing you for it, is beyond me. We take the 'no buying/selling in the threads' rule very seriously, since people try to get around it constantly, and we offer the Classified section for this purpose. The hostility is all yours, and I certainly don't owe you an apology. I suggest you review the rules page and get a better understanding of them. You sure don't seem to have a good fix on them at this point.

max,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
What do you guys recommend ordering the standard 18mm or the 14mm low pro?

Well the bubbler itself doesn't need a downstem and accepts 18mm, so for the sake of versatility you could choose the low-pro, giving you the option of 18mm (w/o stem) or 14mm (w/stem). If you are planning on coumbusting through the piece, maybe get the 18mm so you can use a bigger bowl.

I bought the 18mm reverse + dome as I've never dabbed before. Now I just need something to put in it, and a torch, :p.

Lou

Doesn't seem to do too much, but it does decrease drag and adds a few more bubbles

just wondering how it would decrease drag. Seems like adding another stage of diffusion within an existing point of diffusion would increase drag. :huh:

Lou,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
It honestly depends on the perc. One perc might have a bit of turbulence, from movement of the water causing a bit of chug, perhaps even bubbling water fighting against itself for pressure to be released. The extra perc or just directional steering of the water/air could help smooth it down. Its not like an open-end slitted downstem, can add any drag. In fact, I think that design is pretty useless. I typically drop a large bead down the downstem. If its round/closing off at the end, it will catch the bead, closing off the open ends and using the slits. Do this with all my downstems like that. Night and day difference in function.

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
I think it makes it so you don't have to lift as much water.

Never thought of this. This changes the downstem from ~30mm to ~14mm bore. Now I wish I woulda bought a 18mm downstem.

My downstem measures 4 1/2" from the bottom of the GG to the stem, with the GG adding another inch to the total.

Tweak,

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
Yep, 4.5" sounds right.
And the downstem definitely adds bubbles. Just compared with/without

deadc0ffee,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
Eh... I'm thinking closer to 4 1/4" I think 4 1/2" is going to be too long. Mike (oregonglassblower) usually does 1/2" increments, but he's going to cut one at the 1/4" for me. Should have both the bubbler and the downstem, the same time... hopefully. Though, I didn't get a shipping notice today, which was the original estimate.

This is how I made my decision to go with 4 1/4".

EDIT: ^^^THIS IS PROBABLY WRONG^^^

Awesome pictures Tweak! Thanks! Could anyone who has this piece, tell me the length inside the 'showerhead down-tube?' I'm curious if a certain downstem that I have will fit in there.

Edit* added pics

rC3bd.jpg

My down stem is 4 and 7/8" long, from the top of its male GONG joint, or 3 and 7/8" from the bottom of it's male GONG joint.

The downstem I am using in mine is exactly the same length as yours looks to be.

And then, this is the picture she shows. Don't think there's another 1/2" clearance there, but pretty confident on 1/4".

ussEL.jpg

BigDaddyVapor,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I'm still not quite getting the point of the downstem...

It looks to me like the bottom of the downstem doesn't come below the top of the slits in the showerhead.
Wouldn't that mean that once your hit is started, the water level will drop to approx the top of the slits, and the downstem would be sitting in air.
Especially with the diffusion slits on that style of downstem, that makes the exit point of the vapor even higher...
If you had a downstem (with a lower sitting vapor outlet, like non-diffused or showerhead) that almost touched the bottom of the fixed showerhead, I could imagine that actually sitting in some water and percing, but I just can't see it with the pics I've seen.
:shrug:

I've tried my good downstems (alex k & sov) in my möbius bubs, and really didnt notice any difference than just using a 14-18 reducer...

Purpl3_Haz3

On a Permanent Vakation
I'm still not quite getting the point of the downstem...

It looks to me like the bottom of the downstem doesn't come below the top of the slits in the showerhead.
Wouldn't that mean that once your hit is started, the water level will drop to approx the top of the slits, and the downstem would be sitting in air.
Especially with the diffusion slits on that style of downstem, that makes the exit point of the vapor even higher...
If you had a downstem (with a lower sitting vapor outlet, like non-diffused or showerhead) that almost touched the bottom of the fixed showerhead, I could imagine that actually sitting in some water and percing, but I just can't see it with the pics I've seen.

I've tried my good downstems (alex k & sov) in my möbius bubs, and really didnt notice any difference than just using a 14-18 reducer...

Aside from changing the inner diameter of the air path (down tube, etc) your correct...if the downstem doesn't protrude to at least as low as the showerhead slits, it technically can't do anything AFAICT. From what I can see, in the pic jam posted, all the downstem she has is doing, is reducing the inner diameter, possible slightly restricting airflow.

I specifically asked Sam for a downstem that would be as long as possible, and still fit in this bubbler. If I'm going to have a downstem in it, I want it to be below the water lever/below or equal to the showehead slits.

Purpl3_Haz3,

BigDaddyVapor

@BigDogJunction
If I get the right size and with the shape of the showerhead I ordered from Mike, this is going to be a ghetto Reti-type perc really (one inside the other). If I'm correct, the slits on my downstem, should be lower than the highest point of the cuts on the bubbler. It should work, quite well. Though, without having it, I kind of took a shot in the dark on size.

S'OK. I needed another showerhead for the BDV Tube and I told Mike, I'd just order another if need be.

BTW, I don't think the extra downstem is in ANY way necessary. I think the videos I've seen running naked, it looks just fine. Think playing around with the water level, will smooth it out some to. I'm just really curious, because the showerhead shape reminded me of that downstem and how they could potentially work together.

deadc0ffee

Inquisitive vaporist
My bubbler must be shorter or something, my downstem drops lower than others. Definitely recommend getting one that fits like this.

deadc0ffee,
Top Bottom