Glass with the highest amount of percolation

medically420

My asthma has been getting the best of me due to highly sensitive lungs. I was wondering if anyone knew any pieces that would effectively cool down and diffuse my herb the most. Flavor is definitely not a concern, but more so a piece that really cools the temperature with mainly my Underdog.
I've been using a straight 8 inch bong with glass diffuser beads, and it works out okay but not great.
I was thinking of something with triple or even quadruple percolation, but I'm not sure if that's the right path to head towards. I'd more like to gravitate towards something smaller in size, but I know that can be tough with multiple amounts of percolation. As an asthmatic, smaller hits instead of 1 big one are definitely better.
Thanks

Last edited:

cptchronic

I've got a enano and a triple honeycomb tube. The vapor is definitely smooth but you will have to have some big lungs to get a good hit. The flavors good as well it just seems to take too much from the vapor from all of that diffusion.

I've had good experiences with smaller more chuggy type of water pipes with 1 or 2 percs max. I really like inline percs if I'm going for huge hits they are really smooth.

cptchronic,
Reactions: dimmusp

ReeferChiefer

My asthma has been getting the best of me due to highly sensitive lungs. I was wondering if anyone knew any pieces that would effectively cool down and diffuse my herb the most. Flavor is definitely not a concern, but more so a piece that really cools the temperature with mainly my Underdog.
I've been using a straight 8 inch bong with glass diffuser beads, and it works out okay but not great.
I was thinking of something with triple or even quadruple percolation, but I'm not sure if that's the right path to head towards. I'd more like to gravitate towards something smaller in size, but I know that can be tough with multiple amounts of percolation. As an asthmatic, smaller hits instead of 1 big one are definitely better.
Thanks
I have what you could call a fetish for function/percolation. In my experience, the David Goldstein Rooster Apparatus bongs have the best and most percolation you can buy. Those are the original, pioneering designs behind the "fritted disc" percs.

To be clear, do you want something that hits smooth, as in, little to no cough/harshness, or do you want something that actually hits "cool" as in temperature? Anything with an ice catcher can cool down the smoke but I have experienced harsh hits even when using ice because the bong didn't have proper percolation.

Essentially what you want in a perc to make a smooth hit is to create as many small bubbles as possible. The reason being that the smaller the bubble, the more surface area of the smoke comes in contact with the water, thus cooling the small smoke bubbles more efficiently. People tend to stay away from this because it does take away from taste but like you said that is not a problem. This is also one of the appeals for rigs that "stack" bubbles. Usually stacking consists of many small bubbles, the more the better, therefore a smoother hitting piece.

Like I said, I have never seen a rig stack as much, and produce as many tiny bubbles as a David Goldstein piece. It's an investment, they aren't cheap, but if the quality of your smoking experience means a lot to you, you will gladly make the purchase. I personally own the 13" straight tube single disc version. For more percolation I would suggest the 16" but nothing smaller than the 13".

Last edited:

ReeferChiefer

Also, a big rig doesn't necessarily mean big hits. You have total control of just how much you want to smoke any given time. The bigger the rig the more diffusion, that's what you're after. All you gotta do is load small bowls/dabs.

Also, in combination with this rig, I recommend using this, 2-3 drops in the water to help keeping the perc from clogging. The disc has hundreds of tiny little holes, which is the magic behind the function, but their size tends to make them clog with resin quicker than most percs. But again, this concentrate helps with that issue.

redglassgallery

JHANPIXEL
Glass Blower
I have what you could call a fetish for function/percolation. In my experience, the David Goldstein Rooster Apparatus bongs have the best and most percolation you can buy. Those are the original, pioneering designs behind the "fritted disc" percs.

To be clear, do you want something that hits smooth, as in, little to no cough/harshness, or do you want something that actually hits "cool" as in temperature? Anything with an ice catcher can cool down the smoke but I have experienced harsh hits even when using ice because the bong didn't have proper percolation.

Essentially what you want in a perc to make a smooth hit is to create as many small bubbles as possible. The reason being that the smaller the bubble, the more surface area of the smoke comes in contact with the water, thus cooling the small smoke bubbles more efficiently. People tend to stay away from this because it does take away from taste but like you said that is not a problem. This is also one of the appeals for rigs that "stack" bubbles. Usually stacking consists of many small bubbles, the more the better, therefore a smoother hitting piece.

Like I said, I have never seen a rig stack as much, and produce as many tiny bubbles as a David Goldstein piece. It's an investment, they aren't cheap, but if the quality of your smoking experience means a lot to you, you will gladly make the purchase. I personally own the 13" straight tube single disc version. For more percolation I would suggest the 16" but nothing smaller than the 13".

Agreed, the frit disc is the best on the market right now for diffusion, but beware of cheap knockoffs, the little pieces of frit can break off if not made properly and end up stuck in your lungs, which will make matters even worst for you.

a safer bet would be to go with a quality made honeycomb disc but have several of them, 3 or more this will give you a similar diffusion without the risk.

redglassgallery,
Reactions: dimmusp

ReeferChiefer

Agreed, the frit disc is the best on the market right now for diffusion, but beware of cheap knockoffs, the little pieces of frit can break off if not made properly and end up stuck in your lungs, which will make matters even worst for you.

a safer bet would be to go with a quality made honeycomb disc but have several of them, 3 or more this will give you a similar diffusion without the risk.
Which is why I suggest the real thing. That has never been an issue with David Goldstein products and honeycombs just don't live up to the same standards.

ReeferChiefer,

medically420

I never understood what stacking meant, until I saw that video. Certainly very impressive and looks like a piece I'll keep an eye on for a while. I've seen a lot of cheap china glass with fritted disc percs, and it seemed like a lazy man's percolator, but the David Goldstein piece is on a whole other level.

Sorry I meant for a much smoother hit, since coughing up for asthma is never a really good sign for my lungs. I guess cooler and smoother are exclusive of each other.

medically420,

ReeferChiefer

I never understood what stacking meant, until I saw that video. Certainly very impressive and looks like a piece I'll keep an eye on for a while. I've seen a lot of cheap china glass with fritted disc percs, and it seemed like a lazy man's percolator, but the David Goldstein piece is on a whole other level.

Sorry I meant for a much smoother hit, since coughing up for asthma is never a really good sign for my lungs. I guess cooler and smoother are exclusive of each other.
If you must go the cheaper route, I would suggest this piece. It is the closest thing I have found to equal function to the David Goldstein. But again, I stress there is no equivalent to the quality you get from DG.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2015-new-oil-rig-wings-of-liberty-silver/237368352.html#mfavit-3-null

Do you smoke primarily flower/bud or concentrates? If you mostly smoke bud I would suggest moving to a vaporizer. My preferred choice is the Buddha vaporizer. It's the cleanest and smoothest hit you can take for "weak" lungs. I have weak lungs myself, that's why I can't take "milky" hits. Plus it's a cheaper option as well.

http://7thfloorvapes.com/index.php/seventhfloorvapes/vaporizers/desktop/da-buddha.html

ReeferChiefer,

medically420

If you must go the cheaper route, I would suggest this piece. It is the closest thing I have found to equal function to the David Goldstein. But again, I stress there is no equivalent to the quality you get from DG.

http://www.dhgate.com/product/2015-new-oil-rig-wings-of-liberty-silver/237368352.html#mfavit-3-null

Do you smoke primarily flower/bud or concentrates? If you mostly smoke bud I would suggest moving to a vaporizer. My preferred choice is the Buddha vaporizer. It's the cleanest and smoothest hit you can take for "weak" lungs. I have weak lungs myself, that's why I can't take "milky" hits. Plus it's a cheaper option as well.

http://7thfloorvapes.com/index.php/seventhfloorvapes/vaporizers/desktop/da-buddha.html

Funny that you mentioned, I actually just picked up a DBV, but the whip needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to get the Ddave WPA adapter. However, I mainly vape with my Underdog for glass currently. As far as the type of bud, I purely use flowers and no concentrates. The WOL is very impressive, I really appreciate the help on fritted discs and their function. That will for sure be my next route.

medically420,

ReeferChiefer

Funny that you mentioned, I actually just picked up a DBV, but the whip needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to get the Ddave WPA adapter. However, I mainly vape with my Underdog for glass currently. As far as the type of bud, I purely use flowers and no concentrates. The WOL is very impressive, I really appreciate the help on fritted discs and their function. That will for sure be my next route.
Nice, so really all you need is a fritted disc in your life and you'll be all set.

ReeferChiefer,

YungLeaner

A fritted disc isn't a bad option, but you definitely do NOT need to buy a DG. The only reason that Dave made so much money on the fritted disc game is that he trademarked it before anyone else had a chance and there was a year or so when no one else could make fritted discs. But the perc isn't magical, it's a specific type of production that almost all glass companies do. Honeycomb percs mostly suck in my estimation for pretty much anything but combustion flower rips, and even then they're iffy. I like matrix percs more than fritted discs, but either of them can be found on DHgate. Don't waste your money on a dave goldstein though, a sovereignty is a MUCH MUCH MUCH better value at that price end. Nearly everyone in the glass game would agree with me and goldsteins haven't been really popping for a few years already now.

Edit: Apix Glassworks is a small company that makes awesome scientific work for very cheap. http://www.apixdesign.com/13-75-pink-slime-king-stemline-with-18mm-joint/ this is a much better value than this:
https://roosterapparatus.com/product/big-daddy-2/

YungLeaner,

ReeferChiefer

1) Not everyone makes fritted discs that fire evenly throughout the disc surface.
2) There's no other perc that creates the same amount of percolation, that doesn't mean there's no other brand with good percolation.
3) David Goldstein not being popular doesn't mean it's a waste of money.

You're entitled to your opinion and preferences but not to being condescending about this.

"Nearly everyone in the glass game would agree with me"

Always take this sort of attitude with a grain of salt.

Edit: You do get what you pay for. If you're trying to save money and still get good percolation, you can't beat the <$100 WOL.

Here is the exact one I have. He posted literally the biggest and most expensive DG that is bigger with custom disc. This one is almost same size as the pink rig he posted for $10 more. Value? Same. Quality? Not the same. DG is top shelf.

https://roosterapparatus.com/product/junior/

Last edited:
ReeferChiefer,

Ace of Space

I own a DG frit disk and yeah it's great but I only use it for dabs because I feel it's got to much diffusion for my vapes.
It's by far the smoothest glass I have with the best Mp ever, but overpriced indeed, and they have a bit of a strange vibe as a company.

I run my nano through great Dhgate glass like the fc187v2 and that's just as smooth as you'll ever want it.
I have the Fc1000 underway now to tame my Herborizer, I think the matrix combined with the pillars should smooth that thing out :D

But, if you're having serious respiratory issues you should try to get into edibles, even if it's just to give your lungs a bit of a rest for a few days now and then.

Ace of Space,

jojo monkey

Manufacturer
@medically420 Do you have a vape with temp control? Lower the temps until it doesn't bother you.

Have you tried warm/hot water in the bong?

Why not eat it when your pipes are acting up?

jojo monkey,

medically420

@medically420 Do you have a vape with temp control? Lower the temps until it doesn't bother you.

Have you tried warm/hot water in the bong?

Why not eat it when your pipes are acting up?

Edibles aren't really an option for me, since I'm unable to make/bake them at home. They're also pretty expensive at the dispensary, but maybe ill give it a go during a sale to see how that affects me. My concern is that the thc won't necessarily be hitting my lungs when ingesting them.

Warm water does sound like a good idea. I've been hearing good things about that, especially with vaping.

As far as what I've done to add diffusion to my straight 8 inch beaker bong, I used glass beads. There does seem to be a difference, but the stacking isn't as effective.

medically420,

mrbonsai420

Accessory Maker
Accessory Maker
I have an underdog too. I use mine with a GB-187 or D-020 but if you want diffusion, FOR THE MONEY I would go with a TAG (I always think it looks like "FAG") or WOL Fritted Disc (first choice) if you want to stack bubbles for pretty cheap. Anything Cheaper on that Frit disc perc and I would worry about a Frit coming loose and the perc no longer functioning correctly after that.

Check out the function video on that WOL. Not too far off from the Goldstein pieces for +$500 IMO. Not saying the craftsmanship or quality is the same, just saying it will stack bubbles and diffuse just as well.

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/2015-new-oil-rig-wings-of-liberty-silver/237368352.html

http://www.thickassglass.com/collec...-neck-fritted-disc-with-spinning-splash-guard

How much are you looking to spend?

mrbonsai420,

Monsoon

I highly recommend the GB-194-1 from DHGate. The piece is solid on the table and shouldn't tip with a vape attached. It has lots of diffusion but still has low drag. Also has a decent volume which I find makes it easier to draw from a vape, you can pull most of your hit into the glass to finish on your second draw.

AJS

Calm Consistency
I've hit a fritted goldstein through my enano, I've hit a fritted dhgate piece (obviously the goldstein trumps it), but....
my Matrix perc from dhgate (d020d) is the perfect balance between airflow, flavor, and percolation. Plus that thing hummmmms.
Can't go wrong with a matrix when it comes to vaping.

Top Bottom