Glass Padawan needs help. :D

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Hello everyone,

I never owned a piece of glass, and from all the accounts from the FC users, i feel like i am missing something great.

I have seen some regular bongs, from royal premium, a german glass brand and also from narcotic, in head-nature.com but i really don't know how to choose.

What i really wanted was a Mobius Reti Perc or a Headford Inline Bubbler but the price is too much for me in the present moment, i am willing to go up to 80$ or ~50. It is almost ridiculous for some of you, i know. :D

First just let me say i don't need fancy colours or efects. I just want the best experience and the best quality i can have with my budget.

So, in order to make an informed choice i have a few questions i hope you can answer me:

1. What difference do you find in using a beaker vs a showerhead bubbler?

2. What does the diffusion bring in terms of the experience of vaporizing? Is it tastier or cooler ?

3. What is more important for the durability of the piece, the joints or the thickness of the glass?

4. If you had to choose only one, which would be and why?

Answer what you can, no need to answer all four. Any help will be most appreciated! ;)

vorrange,

smokum

I am who I am and your approval isn't needed!
I can't offer to much info as I'm new to glass myself.

I gave up on trying to find a piece (for now) of some quality blown USA glass only due to the high price tags and my somewhat mistrust with cross border shopping.

However.... I just received a new inexpensive piece today that fits within your budget and so far I'm loving it for every function I've tried with it (vapebong/dabbing/combustion). See if its something that may interest you: PlanetVape-WaterTool

smokum,

StickyShisha2

smokum said:
However.... I just received a new inexpensive piece today that fits within your budget and so far I'm loving it for every function I've tried with it (vapebong/dabbing/combustion). See if its something that may interest you: PlanetVape-WaterTool

that looks like a good deal. Can we see a side view?

edit: the "in-line" they have looks good too. especially for the price

StickyShisha2,

smokum

Sorry Sticky, I don't have a working camera at the moment (hopefully tomorrow). I did try and find the particular unit elsewhere online when buying it but didn't have any luck and finally figured for the amount of money it was, it didn't really matter 'that' much to me.

smokum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Here's a sideview Sticky.

But with your budget, OP, and since you're already looking at their shop, I recommend these for your first piece:

This and this.

I keep intending to buy something more exclusive, but in all honesty the above combo is all I really need so I keep postponing buying something else, glass-wise anyways :D

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Smokum, had exactly the same thinking process about the USA glass as you, but from what i read some Black Leaf bubblers can get a little fragile.

I also saw a Weedstar Mentalist Pure Cut that looks somewhat like that but the mouthpiece is simpler, just a tube, but it is all 5mm glass, did you saw those?

OhTheAgony, i also been looking at Ehle, obviously :D, what made you choose the 250ml over other sizes? Do you find the 100ml too small, or the experience is improved with the bigger size?

vorrange,

smokum

No doubt vorrange, lol.... my longevity of this unit is within it's cost means should it not survive daily bumps.

I'll just consider it my 'cherry popper' for glassware :lol:

smokum,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I started out with a 500ml Ehle to use with my SSV, but I found it a little to large to use comfortably on a daily basis. Mostly because it was a lot of air to clear first before you got to the vapor every single time you'd hit it, but the size was a bit of a problem as well when hanging on the couch or laying in bed.

I would like to pick up a 100ml sometime just to add to the collection and perhaps for portability. I still bring the 250ml everywhere now, after trying a few cheaper ones (mini bongs) for on the go that weren't nice to use at all. But it is rather large for that and a bit clumsy in my backpack. What I gather from others is that the 100ml functions more as a bubbler while a 250ml feels more like an actual bong when milking it and clearing it, which is what I wanted. It's all a matter of personal preference I guess, and this is mine :)

They are pretty sturdy to btw. I banged mine in to so many things so many times already, and so hard I thought it was going to break every single time, but it's still in one piece and without a scratch. I think I'm going to pick up another one as a spare soon just in case, because I don't ever want to be without one anymore.

I noticed the weedstar mentalist bubs as well btw. I considered them for a while as a cheap alternative to the nice American bubblers from Mobius and Zob and such, but I'm just not sure about the look of them.

And then I saw these three and was sure the weedstars weren't for me:

nr. one

nr. two

nr. three

I just like the looks of these so much beter then the weedstars that if I'm going to buy another bubbler it will most likely be one of these. I pointed another FC member towards the first one some time ago, and he seems to really like it. There should be a little review about it somewhere on here.

OhTheAgony,

J.R.R.Tokin'

Wych Doctor
Manufacturer
Hi Guys,

Just want to add my :2c: I recently picked up a Black Leaf 10 Arm Tree Perc and I really like it. It's not quite up there in quality as my Magic Glass but it's still a decent piece and I have no complaints about it.

I know I'm no glass expert. But it's difficult for us over here in Europe to get good glass and I think some of these cheaper pieces can't be over looked by us.

10022012067.jpg
10022012066.jpg

J.R.R.Tokin',

Nycdeisel

vorrange said:
Hello everyone,

I never owned a piece of glass, and from all the accounts from the FC users, i feel like i am missing something great.

I have seen some regular bongs, from royal premium, a german glass brand and also from narcotic, in head-nature.com but i really don't know how to choose.

What i really wanted was a Mobius Reti Perc or a Headford Inline Bubbler but the price is too much for me in the present moment, i am willing to go up to 80$ or ~50. It is almost ridiculous for some of you, i know. :D

First just let me say i don't need fancy colours or efects. I just want the best experience and the best quality i can have with my budget.

So, in order to make an informed choice i have a few questions i hope you can answer me:

2. What does the diffusion bring in terms of the experience of vaporizing? Is it tastier or cooler ?

3. What is more important for the durability of the piece, the joints or the thickness of the glass?

Answer what you can, no need to answer all four. Any help will be most appreciated! ;)

1. Different function, different diffusion, and much different flow.
2. the more diffusion, the less flavor you get. Vapor doesnt really need to be cooled very much at all, it needs more moisture then cooling. The different air flow makes a difference in the feel of the hit and the kind of vapor produced.
3. the thickness of the glass. Especially near the base, which is where it would land on if it happened to fall. Beakers can often get blown out until they are thin and weak. so watch for the thickness in the beaker part of a beaker bottom tube.
4. tough one. I prefer to have both in my collection ;)

Nycdeisel,

Minging

J.R.R.Tokin' said:
Hi Guys,

Just want to add my :2c: I recently picked up a Black Leaf 10 Arm Tree Perc and I really like it. It's not quite up there in quality as my Magic Glass but it's still a decent piece and I have no complaints about it.

I know I'm no glass expert. But it's difficult for us over here in Europe to get good glass and I think some of these cheaper pieces can't be over looked by us.

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/8231/10022012067.jpg http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5011/10022012066.jpg

Nice , did you pick that up in the uk ?

Minging,

EonBlue

Soul Rebel
vorrange said:
Hello everyone,

I would suggest a mini beaker, they are generally inexpensive and you could upgrade the downstem to something fancier later (luke wilson 6 arm, Alex K stuff).

EonBlue,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
OhTheAgony, I am more inclined now for that Ehle 250ml, and the warranty is a big plus!

As for the Black Leaf Bubblers, the Smoke Shower Micro Circ looks the sturdier, with the 4 inch wide base, but the price reflects the difference since it is about double the other bubblers. Does the bowl being on the side instead of on top on the bubbler like other i have seen make any difference?

J.R.R. Tokin', first of all let me say that i read Tolkien instead of Tokin' for the first times i saw your nick, gave a laugh when i saw the pun. :D

I like your bubbler a lot too, very elegant, i didn't find it in Grasscity though, where did you get it if i may ask?

NycDiesel, i have some questions regarding your answers:

1. What is the difference for you in terms of function, diffusion and flow?
2. The diffusion is increased with the arms like 8, 10, 15 arms, or by the slits and holes in the arms?

EonBlue, thanks for the input, perhaps i could use the Ehle 250ml with a luke wilson or alexk downstem.

Right now, i will problably get a beaker and a bubbler (thanks to nycdiesel), and my bong will problably be the Ehle 250ml (thanks to OhTheAgony), perhaps with a different downstem than the ones from Ehle, still thinking about that one.

I realize, since i value taste over coolness, i don't need much diffusion.

Once again, i thank you for all your input, it has been valuable! :)

vorrange,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Yw dude. Where are you located btw? I assumed you were in Europe (Germany?), but if you're not there might be a little more choice in 'Ehle-like' tubes. I can really recommend the diffused downstem from Ehle btw, it's a very smooth little sonuvabitch.

Bowl/joint position is just a matter of design as far as I know, although it can also affect the ergonomics of a piece of course. Nyc-D knows a lot more about glass then I do though, so I'd ask her if you want to be sure now that you have her attention ;)

Oh, if your in Europe and you want a beaker too there isn't that much choice. You'd probably want this one: click me. If you need anyone with hands on experience with that one just ask J.R.(R.) and/or check here: Magic Glass Rude Boy Review

I like that bubbler too J.R.(R.), haven't seen it around I must say. Where did you find that one?

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I'm from Portugal, and the shops around here, the ones i went, only have crappy china pieces and very overpriced! It is all about the joints in this neck of the woods. :D

That Rude Boy sure looks good too, damn it, so many options. hehe.

vorrange,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
Oh, beautiful Portugal, where all drugs are legal now...

I spend a month or six in the Algarve back in '95, mostly in Tavira and Portimo, and a little village which I can't remember the name of right now...wait a minute, there it is; it's called Espiche. I'd love to go back sometime.

lol, just start somewhere and pick one, or buy them all at once :D

And I know what you mean, we don't even have the crappy stuff over here. All joint smokers too, and a few people with regular handpipes perhaps.

OhTheAgony,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Haha, i wish it was like that, but it is quite allright though. :D

Tavira in the summer is a tradition for me, glad you like it here in Portugal! I only went to the Netherlands once, last year, and just Am'dam, but i loved it since it is so different from here. :)

I am thinking of a straight tube first, although i still don't know if i would prefer a beaker or a tube, and then the Black Leaf Micro Circ since it looks rather resistant and stable.

vorrange,

Zargoff

Just an old Hippie
Well I was just about to pull the trigger on a Mobius Reti purchase. Was gonna go with the larger clear. Now after seeing NYC's comment about More diffusion = less flavor I'm wondering if the diffussion on the reti might be a little over the top, as flavor is most important to me. thx for any input.

Zargoff,

Nycdeisel

Its not just between this and that type, its the piece itself and the exact specifics and dimensions. shape and diffusion has a lot to do with the air flow, and that differs greatly on many pieces.

A beaker is def much cheaper for a high quality tube, showerhead bubblers are not all created equal.

with a straight tube or beaker you can switch out the downstems, and it will be easier to find a regular tube like this rather then a showerhead/circ bubbler.

About the arms on the tree percs, its both. You can have 5 arms with no slits and just an open end, thats 5 points of diffusion just on that tree perc. or it could be a 4 arm perc , with 3 slits on each plus an open end, that would be 16 openings for diffusion. get it?

Tree percs are just one type of percolator, showerheads and circs are also percs, just a different kind. even a diffused downstem may be considered a perc because its the diffusing mechanism in a plain straight tube or beaker tube.

Nycdeisel,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Thank you so much NycDeisel, the information is starting to order in my head and things are beggining to make much more sense. ;) Before i heard all this words and expressions and when i thought i understood what it meant, turns out i didn't.

I am still torn between the Rude Boy and the Ehle 250ml, i think i will eventually get both since they fulfill different functions, or at least the same function but in a different way.

Like i said earlier i value taste over coolness, and that made me conclude that i don't need much diffusion, although a little bit is welcome i suppose. I was wondering i could get a diffused downstem and a clean downstem to get both worlds.

Or maybe i would get diffused downstem in the beaker and the clean downstem in the straight tube, and switch it up as wanted.

But, from what i gathered, the beaker is a heavier, milkier hit and the straight is a quicker clear and softer, so i just can't make my mind to which one i would like the most.

Any insights?

vorrange,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I don't think you will loose much taste between a diffused downstem and a regular one, but the benefits of a diffused one are much larger in comparison.

A diffused downstem just gives much more control over your draw speed, and it's also much quieter than a regular one. I seriously doubt if you ever want to use a regular one after trying both.

When people say that less diffusion gives better taste it's usually in reference to pieces with multiple diffusion, like a downstem combined with percs etc. vs one without percs. That statement is not about the difference in taste between the different type of downstems.

I've never tried a beaker shaped bong before so I can't advise you on that one, but I think it's safe to say either would be a good choice for a first piece. Just do yourself a favor and order a nice diffused downstem with whatever you order first.

ps: so cool you know Tavira! Do you have relatives or friends there, or do you just go camping like I did?

OhTheAgony,

2clicker

Observer
OhTheAgony said:
When people say that less diffusion gives better taste it's usually in reference to pieces with multiple diffusion, like a downstem combined with percs etc. vs one without percs.

im trying to understand how this works. is it because the vapor has a longer travel before getting to you? why would more diffusion reduce taste?

2clicker,

WatTyler

Revolting Peasant
more bubbles = more surface area exposed to water = more loss of solubles (flavourful terp's in this case)

edit: plus the time element- with multiple percs the vapor is in contact with (surrounded by) the water for a much longer time than with single percs.

WatTyler,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Okay, so i guess a diffused stem it is, thanks OhTheAgony! :)

ps: No relatives or any of the kind, Tavira has just been one of the summer family destination for as long as i remember, i love it there!

vorrange,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
2clicker said:
im trying to understand how this works. is it because the vapor has a longer travel before getting to you? why would more diffusion reduce taste?

With some pieces you have the vapor going through a downstem first before it goes through two percs that also run through water. That's like having three bongs build in to one. Each time the vapor goes through the water it takes a way a little away of the taste I imagine (I have no actual experience with pieces like that myself).

Example (not filled with water unfortunately):

full-bong-large1.jpg

vorrange said:
Okay, so i guess a diffused stem it is, thanks OhTheAgony! :)

ps: No relatives or any of the kind, Tavira has just been one of the summer family destination for as long as i remember, i love it there!

Yw, I'm sure you'll love it!

I just found it by accident myself (Tavira), during my hippie-phase when I was cruising through Europe in my van. I was planing to see more of Europe that winter, but I liked the Algarve so much that I stuck around much longer then I first intended. Good times..

There was a park in Portimo where I used to buy my pot from other hippie-kids. It was right in front of the city jail in a time when mj was still illegal in your country and I always imagined ending up there, lol. The quality of the herb was terrible by the way, I can still taste it if I close my eyes. The hash was alright though, haha.

OhTheAgony,
Top Bottom