• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Glass or aluminum, or does it matter? (Herbal Storage Containers)

lwien

So the question here is about storage containers.

I firmly believe that the best way to store bud is in a dark, cool, place in an airtight container. In the past, I've always used glass mason jars but here's the problem. Being that I go through such a small amount of bud on a monthly basis, I never purchase more than an eighth, and storing an eighth in a small 8oz mason jar means that there's more air in the jar than I'd like there to be, so I was searching for something a lot smaller, say something that will only hold an eighth.

In my searching around I found two storage products that would fit that bill. One is from mVessel which is all glass, and the other is from SpaceCase, which is all aluminum. Both airtight, both only have the capacity to hold an eighth. Other than the advantage of the SpaceCase being totally dark inside, does anyone think that for storage purposes, glass would be better than machined aluminum or visa versa?

Oh, and for the sake of discussion, let's leave the ghetto solutions out of it. While I totally respect those kinds of alternative solutions, for me, I just want something really nice and the two products above fit that bill. Both airtight, both small, and both well machined/made and nice to look at and nice to feel.

So the question is, glass or aluminum? Advantages, disadvantages or no difference?

lwien,

momofthegoons

vapor accessory addict
Is the product from SpaceCase also a grinder, or just a container? If it's a grinder, it would sort of kill two birds with one stone. That's what I use to keep my working "stash" in. Since I usually buy more than that at a time, I keep the rest in a baggie, inside a mason jar in a dark drawer to keep fresh until I need it. Keeping it in the grinder also collects more kief than if the herb is dumped after grinding. But, I know you use medical grade and need less so you probably don't want to grind it all at one time.

Really, it's probably just a matter of aesthetics. Which material pleases you the most? Which do you like the looks of? I sort of like glass better, but for the reasons above, use my metal grinder. Plus, it's a little easier to clean glass. Of course, why would you need to clean it? It's a tough one. And I'm obviously rambling....sorry. :)

momofthegoons,

lwien

No, the SpaceCase that I am referring to is not a grinder, just a container. They make 3 sizes. One that holds a gram, one that holds 2 grams and one that holds an eighth.

lwien,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
I have a space case storage with the mini grinder at the end. Love it... nice and air tight. I have two i use... one that is 3 inches long and i keep unground bud in it, and the scout case which i use to grind and store that ground bud.

Safetyjar also makes some nice stainless steel cases, however the machining on them is a bit more rough than spacecase.

DevoTheStrange,

lwien

Yeah. If I didn't already have a ti SC, the scout would have been another choice.

lwien,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
lwein, i use the SC disk style stash cases every day, i got a medium and a large. i'm guessing you are looking at the cylindrical ones. the spacecase stuff is airtight and of good quality and you shouldn't have issues storing your stuff in there. i do have a couple of cylindrical stash cases that I bought from KGP, they are similar to the cylindrical SCs and work well too. the KGP ones have caps at both ends though, which may or may not work for you. i keep my herb in a baggie so it works out quite well for me, very convenient.

obelisk,

sour

Would I get much benefit in upgrading my sharpstone 4 pc. to a SC? My kif is mostly yellowish, but no green.

sour,

obelisk

Idiot (no relation to the Savants)
sour said:
Would I get much benefit in upgrading my sharpstone 4 pc. to a SC? My kif is mostly yellowish, but no green.
keep it until it breaks or you lose it or something man. if you have dollars to burn, get a kief box and a 2 pc grinder instead of another 4 pc :brow:

obelisk,

max

Out to lunch
sour said:
I don't know about the Sharpstone screen, but the SC is pretty fine mesh.

sour wrote:
My kif is mostly yellowish, but no green.

lwien said:
That's a good thing.
Not for me. I prefer quantity. If that means getting some non kief mixed in, it doesn't bother me at all.

obelisk said:
keep it until it breaks or you lose it or something man. if you have dollars to burn, get a kief box and a 2 pc grinder instead of another 4 pc
I'd like to get a kief box, but most have a fine mesh. :/ I agree about keeping the grinder. As long as it works.... And you can get an Exotic Zombie box cheaper than a 4 pc. SC.

max,

lwien

For me, I'm just going back to a 2pc SC. Kinda tired of the whole keif collection thing. I've come to the conclusion that I want as much kief in my bud as possible, all the time, so separating the trichs from the bud no longer makes any sense.........for me.

lwien,

indigal

Amongst the corn
lwien said:
So the question here is about storage containers.

I firmly believe that the best way to store bud is in a dark, cool, place in an airtight container. In the past, I've always used glass mason jars but here's the problem. Being that I go through such a small amount of bud on a monthly basis, I never purchase more than an eighth, and storing an eighth in a small 8oz mason jar means that there's more air in the jar than I'd like there to be, so I was searching for something a lot smaller, say something that will only hold an eighth.

Oh, and for the sake of discussion, let's leave the ghetto solutions out of it. While I totally respect those kinds of alternative solutions, for me, I just want something really nice and the two products above fit that bill. Both airtight, both small, and both well machined/made and nice to look at and nice to feel.

So the question is, glass or aluminum? Advantages, disadvantages or no difference?
I prefer glass, not sure if there really is an advantage of one over another- other than I have cross-threaded aluminum cases while high, and they never have that smooth action anymore since the metal is soft.. I prefer my little 1 oz. amber glass jars that I get from laboratory supply stores. They are e perfect pocket size. The cap is air & liquid tight (I've used them for other purposes around the house) & they hold more than plenty ground bud for an evening with friends. These buggers are avail smaller or larger..

Just wondering what you consider ghetto containers.. like a washed out Jiffy peanut butter jar? :lol:
I have to admit- I keep those little mini-jelly jars you get in the Xmas baskets for odds-n-ends around the house.

indigal,

indigal

Amongst the corn
lwien said:
For me, I'm just going back to a 2pc SC. Kinda tired of the whole keif collection thing. I've come to the conclusion that I want as much kief in my bud as possible, all the time, so separating the trichs from the bud no longer makes any sense.........for me.
Yeah- I have a three-piece as well as a "pollen box." I got a pollen press and pressed a few nice sized hash pills. I don't find myself doing it very often at all.. Tho it does blow my friends away when I hand them one and tell them Enjoy!! :D Their eyes light up like a kid in a toy store!

indigal,

Ash

vaporist
lwien said:
I'm glad to hear you say that. It is validation of my (grinding) lifestyle choice. ;)

Ash,

lwien

indigal said:
Just wondering what you consider ghetto containers.. like a washed out Jiffy peanut butter jar? :lol:
I have to admit- I keep those little mini-jelly jars you get in the Xmas baskets for odds-n-ends around the house.
Yeah. That and flim cannisters, and marichino cherry jars and Altoid tins. Stuff like I used to use a long time ago. Now I just enjoy the look and feel of something that's made really nice. Those SpaceCase containers are machined really well. They just have a really nice look and feel to them. Think I'm just going to go with those being that they come in such small sizes which is perfect for me.

lwien,

Ash

vaporist
lwien, for pre-ground herb, I don't think it matters. But, after grinding, I would recommend glass. I'm often pushing down my PD stem into my ground-up mj and I'm much more comfortable with metal on glass than metal on metal. If I did this with a metal container I think I'd scratch it up, and possibly get trace amounts of metal packed in the stem.
:2c:

lwien

Ash said:
lwien, for pre-ground herb, I don't think it matters. But, after grinding, I would recommend glass. I'm often pushing down my PD stem into my ground-up mj and I'm much more comfortable with metal on glass than metal on metal. If I did this with a metal container I think I'd scratch it up, and possibly get trace amounts of metal packed in the stem.
:2c:
I suck up my ground herbs, so for me, I don't think it's going to be an issue. But thanks for input. Never would have thought of that. I'll be careful not to scrap the PD bowl against the aluminum.

Ash

vaporist
I usually use the vacuum method too, but sometimes I get a bit overzealous and start wiping the tip around the bottom to pick up any keif that has collected down there. And, I just thought of one more thing I like about glass - it's clear. As long as you keep your stash jar in a dark place, I consider this a big plus. I can always tell exactly how much I have in there. If you tend to leave your stash case out in the open, however, glass would not be such a good idea. In addition to light affecting the potency/freshness of the mj, a small silver canister is much less likely to draw unwanted attention than a small glass jar that is quite obviously filled with marijuana. If portability is an issue, then aluminum wins it hands down - much more discreet, and not going to break and drop your stash all over who-knows-where if you have a stoner moment and drop it on something hard. :uhoh:

Ash,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
One thing I like about the space case storage, is the threading on it... got lots of threads, I have had people pick it up and start unscrewing it and I get to them before they even got it open.

lwien

DevoTheStrange said:
One thing I like about the space case storage, is the threading on it... got lots of threads, I have had people pick it up and start unscrewing it and I get to them before they even got it open.
I agree. And the machining is really impeccable. Can barely feel the seam when it closed.

lwien,

ShatterWulf

I have a few tightvac containers, they're a plastic case that creates a small vacuum inside the jar when you close it, I feel like it helps my bud keep from drying too quickly.

ShatterWulf,

lwien

ShatterWulf said:
I have a few tightvac containers, they're a plastic case that creates a small vacuum inside the jar when you close it, I feel like it helps my bud keep from drying too quickly.
Yeah, but I just don't like plastic due to possible leeching and trichs sticking to the plastic. But I know a lot of people swear by the tightvacs.

dirtyreyes

lwien said:
ShatterWulf said:
Yeah, but I just don't like plastic due to possible leeching and trichs sticking to the plastic. But I know a lot of people swear by the tightvacs.
I get my supply from a delivery service and they provide small plastic containers that come labeled with the strain. Each time I get a new strain, I hang onto the plastic container to use as storage. When I pick up more of that same strain, I immediately take it out of the container and put it in my old one. This way, the new container doesn't get much trichs stuck to it at all. The main container for each strain does, but when it gets nice and coated with trichs I feel like my bud is that much better to use after coming out of the container. Also, I've never done this, but I'm assuming if I wanted to retire one of the containers I would just be able to give it a rinse with some ISO and recover all that sparkly goodness.

Does it really matter that the containers are a) plastic and b) not airtight? I keep them in a cool, dark area in a desk drawer, and I typically pregrind my bud.

dirtyreyes,

lwien

dirtyreyes said:
Does it really matter that the containers are a) plastic and b) not airtight? I keep them in a cool, dark area in a desk drawer, and I typically pregrind my bud.
The enemies are light, temp and air. So, cool and dark is good, but being airtight is just as important.

Here's a post regarding storage from my dispensary. Good info:
---------------------------------------------------

Cannabis is a perishable product. They are simply dried flowers, like many herbs. Some techniques can be employed to make them last. The three things to remember are C.A.L.

Cool.
Airtight
Light resistant

COOL - Storing at room temperature will cost you a heavy penalty in aroma and flavor from the cannabis' evaporating essential oils. The loss of these oils also likely lessen the effects of some strains that have pharmacologically active oils such as limonene. As for cannabinoid content at room temperature, you won't lose much, since THC degrades slowly over time into the less psychoactive CBN. At CRC we store all our cannabis in temperature controlled wine refrigerators at a temperature between 52 and 55 degrees F. A lignum-vitae temperature-controlled custom walk-in humidor would also work, if you're both rich and somewhat insane. If you're neither of those things... at home, the vegetable drawer of your refrigerator works very well.

AIRTIGHT - reduces oxidation and drying in your meds. However, it's important that you allow limited gas exchange, in other words, you need to vent the normal gases that accumulate in stored cannabis to keep it from going anerobic in storage. With very fresh meds that still require a little cure, this means opening the container a couple times a day. With well-cured meds, once every couple of days is fine.

LIGHT-RESISTANT - The biggest enemy of medicinal cannabis is ultraviolet rays from the sun, which quickly degrade THC and oils. Always store your meds in a light-resistant container.

One last note about plastics and glass as storage mediums. If you choose plastic, make certain that it is chemically-inert, like polypropylene, so that the plastic doesn't react with the terpenes and phenols found on cannabis. Some of these natural chemicals react with plastics to create formalin, the precursor to formaldehyde (embalming fluid). Don't store your meds in baggies or other soft, oily plastics. Glass is an excellent storage medium, but use dark amber or cobalt glass. The only drawback to glass is that it carries a static charge that can collect trichomes from cannabis. At CRC, we use opaque polypropylene containers for our patients and large glass containers for storage.

--morpheus
Cornerstone Research
--------------------------------------------------------

One of the things that he mentions that isn't talked about very much is periodically opening those airtight containers to let the gases escape. Before I read this, I stored some bud for about 4 months in airtight containers and never opened them to let them vent. So I did get some of this anerobic stuff going on, with the result being that the bud started to smell like ammonia. Still vapeable, and still worked, but it sure as hell didn't taste or smell as good as when it was fresh. So now, I open my airtight containers about twice a week. No more ammonia smell.

lwien,
Top Bottom