Glass Flowers

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Hi,

Here comes the stupid question...

Glass flowers, what are they and why use them?

I see people talk about them and I've seen pictures with them in, I seem to be at a loss what they are used for and why.

Thanks,
1DMF

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

These are found on Amazon. They are pipe screens. We use them in the Ascent as a spacer and to help to give a better draw with the unit. I use about 7 or 8 with my load. The Ascent has a big oven this helps to add space and give big clouds.

EDIT
The oven is very large for some and to get the unit to work well it works better if it's filled up. The herb would fly around inside the big oven with a small load of cannabis. With the spacers it holds the load in place and adds volume. You get a better vape session. Davinci has since added a larger glass spacer for the Ascent, it cost extra.

These glass flowers are talked about a lot in the Ascent thread.

Last edited:

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
EDIT
The oven is very large for some and to get the unit to work well it works better if it's filled up. The herb would fly around inside the big oven with a small load of cannabis. With the spacers it holds the load in place and adds volume. You get a better vape session. Davinci has since added a larger glass spacer for the Ascent, it cost extra.

These glass flowers are talked about a lot in the Ascent thread.

Here @1DMF, Carolking answered best in her edit above which you may have missed. The only vape I've ever heard of there being a need to add these to is the Ascent since it likes a full bowl to work well so if you want to vape only say half a bowl the glass "screens/flowers" are used to take up space and give you a full bowl.

Just remember Don't dump a hot load of ABV and glass flowers into your palm, you may regret it.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Ok, cool, so they are used to take up space so you can load less herbage.

I agree Carol, the oven is large on the Ascent, but I have found as long as I pack it well, half a load is OK.

I'm not a 'big clouds' person, and so not getting massive clouds doesn't' bother me, though I know many 'smokers' don't get on with vaperisers if they don't get big clouds, they think that nothing is happening!

Would you recommend glass flowers over the Ascent spacer? Do I simply google glass flowers and pick any seller, or does the FC community recommend a particular type?

Just remember Don't dump a hot load of ABV and glass flowers into your palm, you may regret it.

Yeah, learned that lesson last night when I picked up the glass jar straight out the oven, ouch! - won't be doing that again!

Edit: Dang, just saw Carol's comment on ABV, that bothers me, I want to cook with my ABV moving forward!

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Davinci has since added a larger glass spacer for the Ascent, it cost extra.

Yes, these look just the ticket, but can't find stockist in UK, I think they are too new, Namastevapes didn't even know of their existence, so have emailed them with a link to the Da Vinci you tube official advert.

They hope to get back to me in a day or two :)

Hashtag46&2

Trichome Technician
Yes, these look just the ticket, but can't find stockist in UK, I think they are too new, Namastevapes didn't even know of their existence, so have emailed them with a link to the Da Vinci you tube official advert.

They hope to get back to me in a day or two :)
You may have more luck searching the term "glass Screens " vs. Glass flowers.

@CarolKing & @RUDE BOY ... They are extremely knowledgable.

Love this Community, can't say that enough.

CarolKing

Look under glass screens for pipes on Amazon. This is what you look under.

• 81tWiy1aeDL._SX425_.jpg

45ct. Daisy Glass Screen for Glass Pipes

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Thanks, but I am going to get some glass spacers for my Ascent, I've been put off flowers with the potential of glass breaking off into my ABV, making cooking with it a little dangerous!

Nasty way to die from swallowing broken / ground glass!

justcametomind

Can't you just put a stainless steel liquid pad (Volcano's, Crafty's or a few others vapes) modified in shape to fit the Ascent's oven?

CarolKing

A person could use whatever would work as long as it wasn't toxic and it was heat proof. @OF originally suggested using them along with @nigel and it worked out well for a lot of us. I think other things were tried.

nigel

And shepherds we shall be,for Accuracy & Discovery
Keep in mind also, that the thermal retention value for glass is better than air. So these will help with thermal variance upon draw.

And, as to ABV, do you really want all of that plant matter in your food? Pulling out the compounds you want (in a solution of your choosing) and then straining the solid matter out seems like a better solution.

I use Everclear and coffee filters. Did a coconut oil once two, but forgot how I strained it.

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
do you really want all of that plant matter in your food?
Why not? I usually have lots of plant matter in my food, I don't like it :disgust:, but the missus tells me it's good for me and I'm eating it :nod:

I never used to process the weed before cooking normally, hey most of the time it was with solid anyway, how else do you cook with hash other than to crumble it in?

I assume ABV isn't toxic in anyway and fit for human consumption?

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
Never make an edible by just throwing it in, that is well.... gross.

Make it with butter or coconut oil, I love love love a simple method where you heat the oil to melting, add the product and simmer on low heat for about 7 minutes. Throw the whole concoction into a bowl, plastic wrap the top and put that into the fridge for a day or two. The fridge acts as the thc diffusor rather than the crock pot method. Take the bowl out, remelt the butter or oil and then strain the material through a cheese cloth or small mesh filter, 25 micron would probably be fine, smaller is fine as well. Then, you have infused butter for any recipe involving butter, or you have coconut oil for your capsules or whatever.

Or, just do a qwiso run with your abv, and then you can straight up capsule the result, as the oil should be decarbed from being vaped and ready to consume.

seaofgreens,
Reactions: Nesta

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Never make an edible by just throwing it in, that is well.... gross.
Nah, I like the taste it gives. One cake I made I simply sieved up 2oz of weed and replaced 2oz of flour with it in the recipe. Cake tasted fine and got everyone real mellow!

Does everyone here 'process' their ABV before using it in edibles?

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
sieved weed and sieved abv are two different animals. Are we talking about the same thing? I have had the same thing you are mentioning with GOOD quality sieved super dry colas that were ok. I still prefer to remove the plant material, as it's not as if flavor gets lost by infusing butter....

Would I do that with abv? Not personally, but does this taste good or something?

seaofgreens,

seaofgreens

My Mind Is Free
They taste completely different for one, you have already vaporized many of the actives for another... Do I need to go on?

seaofgreens,

1DMF

Old School Cheesy Quaver
Well as they say, the proof is in the eating.

I think I have enough ABV gathered to bake a cake, I guess I'll have to give it a whirl and see how I get on. If the cake tastes horrible, I'll be back for some processing tips ;)

Hubs88

Feeling The Buzz
Does everyone here 'process' their ABV before using it in edibles?
Nope, I just take a spoonful and swallow it. I'm not a cook and not interested in cooking/baking anything just to get high. Even putting it in capsules is a big waste of time. All I want to do is ingest it and enjoy the buzz. Mission accomplished.

OF

The idea of the flowers had to do with Thermodynamics. The measurements I did on Nigel's Ascent a while back showed that the temperature in the center of the load drops off very fast and vapor production with it. The only part that 'works' later in the hit is the side walls.

The flowers give you a heat reservoir spread through the load that provides more energy to support the hit. You get more vapor from less herb (for less hits total of course, no magic). More over the flowers have lots of surface area and since it's a conduction vape that is key.

Other materials would work of course, and many have higher 'thermal mass' (store more heat) for the same volume but that gets away from the 'all glass vapor path so many hold dear.

Lots of good reading in the Ascent thread. Search 'glass flowers'?

OF

Top Bottom