1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.

Glass 101

Discussion in 'Glass' started by Frederick McGuire, Sep 30, 2012.

1. 420GanjX

420GanjX Active Member

So I've been refering to my new bongs diffuser as a "stemless bell perk" (off a guess) but upon reading this thread I'm not sure if that's even a real thing lol, would this be more akin to a Stemless Dome diffuser or gridcap!? [​IMG]
    mscm888 and ataxian like this.
  2. redglassgallery

redglassgallery JHANPIXEL Glass Blower

looks more like a showerhead - doesnt seem to be gridded - interesting design never seen that before
    420GanjX and Hoops like this.
  3. z9

z9 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree it just looks like a showerhead that's been rotated 90 degrees, not gridded, seems like it would favor the top slits. Weird I thought I responded to this post last week.

You could probably drop a downstem in there for some more diffusion!
    ataxian and 420GanjX like this.
  4. 420GanjX

420GanjX Active Member

My god that is a great idea, never thought of that!:rockon:

& yes it defiantly favours the top (180°) half of the slits, but is always evenly diffused, with minimal drag at whatever pull speed you use, I really do love it.:tup:

I would post a video for you Guys to see it in action but I'm unaware of how to do that on an iPhone:doh:
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  5. that herb guy

that herb guy Well-Known Member

For stemless pieces, I've found downstems don't do much in the way of diffusion. The water tends to drop too low to perc during the pull. It will help keep your glass a little cleaner, as the particulate will build up there instead of the joint, but probably won't add much else to the experience.
    Frederick McGuire likes this.
  6. z9

z9 Well-Known Member

You're right, it probably wouldn't work well with that piece or many for that matter. I've had good success with my a downstem in my stemless natural perc, I don't use it without the downstem anymore. It is good for catching particulates and keeping the piece cleaner.

The biggest advantage is that the downstem prevents blowback (if you have that problem) because there isn't enough water displaced in the downstem to create a rush of air strong enough to cause blowback. It makes hitting pieces with that problem so much more enjoyable.
    420GanjX and SD_haze like this.
  7. SD_haze

SD_haze MMJ Vaporist

Water displacement blowback is definitely annoying for vaporizers like the Vapexhale Cloud (depending how you use it exactly)
  8. friedricey

friedricey being human

The size of the bowls or cone; we have the snap and one hitters.
  9. dontforgettobringatowel

dontforgettobringatowel New Member

Glass newb here... I'm interested in using ice with some glass I'll be getting soon. First question, does ice make much of a difference? I've actually never used any. And second, which kind of glass is best to use with ice? Can it be used with any bong, water pipe, or hydratube?
    Deja Vu likes this.
  10. Frederick McGuire

Frederick McGuire Aggressively Loungey

It will cool the hit.
    I personally like an ice-cooled hit, but I never have any ice handy.
    It's not something I'd go out of my way to make sure I've always got ice handy, but if I've already got some ready, I'll probably use it.

Whether it makes enough of a difference to be worth doing is a preference thing. (and there are some members here who prefer using warm water - so maybe also try that at some point to see if you like it)

Technically any piece with a big enough mouth hole for you to jam some ice in is suitable.

If you have a piece of glass with ice pinches, then the ice will be held up out of the water, and will cool the hit after its passed through the water. As the ice melts, the water level in the piece will rise a bit.

If you have a piece of glass without ice pinches, then the ice will most probably fall into the water. In this case the ice will melt quickly, and the hit will be cooled while passing through the extra cold water. The water level will jump up as soon as you put the ice in, but not much more as the ice melts.

You generally want to be very careful using ice with hydratubes, as they don't have much leeway for rising water levels before they spill back down the internal stem.
  11. sherb

sherb Active Member

Okay. So I live in a town with very, very, very hard water. This means hard water stains on glass. Specifically, it means hard water stains on my Mobius Ion Matrix, which I am now looking to sell.

They are pretty bad stains. I left water in it frequently. I've tried the vinegar trick, and they're still there. How do I get them out?

Alternatively - is it irresponsible to sell it in its current condition? The staining is pretty clear, and is obviously not resin. If I took $25 off the price would that make it up to buyers?

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, or if I am in violation of a rule.
  12. Caligula

Caligula *results not typical.

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/pbw-the-chemistry-of-clean.7854/

Next time only use distilled water.
    CG420, Deja Vu, farscaper and 2 others like this.
  13. Abysmal Vapor

Abysmal Vapor Shaman of The Pyramid of Orlin'Malah

Seed Of life Glassworks done it again.. ![​IMG]
    Caligula likes this.
  14. Caligula

15. Abysmal Vapor

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Some weird recycler and strainer perc from Molecule glass..
    Anyone ever got one of these ?
    ?
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Buildozer likes this.
  16. Caligula

Looks like a frit
  17. Frederick McGuire

Frederick McGuire Aggressively Loungey

Goddammit I want a frit downstem like that primo piece...
    Can't find anything like it anywhere :(
    Buildozer likes this.
  18. Abysmal Vapor

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  19. Enchantre

Enchantre A short, pithy statement

Abysmal Vapor likes this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors