• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Glass 101

placetime

The post is from a while back i know,but since i've only just now read it...;)
I use silicone grease on the downstem connection of my Verdamper,which prevents it sticking very well.
Only on the downstem btw,this because that's the only connection,which can get moisture in it(from normal usage).
The other connection on my Verdamper(both are of the 'ground glass variety,the whole thing is also 'scientific' glass) stays dry,so doesn't require it.

Thanks for the input! Is there some downside to using that grease on the dry connection, or do you not use it there just because it's superfluous?

So, are you saying that it's some function of the connection getting wet that causes sticking?

Sorry for all the noobish questions. :)

Watch this:

Basic concept is the constant circulation of water- notice how water is sucked up and then shot back into the can

Does the "recycler" thingie do much beyond looking uber-cool and adding a minor amount of additional hydration? Don't get me wrong--they're incredible works of art. But I'm curious if they provide any functional benefit. :science:

placetime,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH
Actually i'm not sure if it's the moisture or the fact you put weight on it(it's a vertical connection)/work it or a combination of both factors,but that connection is indeed much more prone to sticking than the other inhale tube(+ that's angled upwards).
Evert only recommends it for that :
53-87-large.jpg

So on the other it indeed seems superflous and has the added slight downside of attracting dirt etc.,necessitating more frequent cleaning.
I've had my inhaletube stuck sometimes,but only after this got a accidental push/jolt and it got 'pushed in' harder than usual.

Bouldorado

Does the "recycler" thingie do much beyond looking uber-cool and adding a minor amount of additional hydration? Don't get me wrong--they're incredible works of art. But I'm curious if they provide any functional benefit. :science:

The recycler part may add some diffusion, but it's minimal. I've hit a few different recyclers and they're not noticeably smoother than a piece of similar size. I think the main advantages are no splashback, and maybe fresher tasting water if you don't change it often.

Quite an amazing thread, and here I thought I knew my stuff about glassware - very informative thanks guys

upintheclouds,

ilovebOObs

can i stick my male joint in there?
i've been thinking about a similar perc like this forever. but my version would of been named the nipple perc :lol:

ilovebOObs,
Reactions: Buildozer
I see people mention "bubble stacking" and I can appreciate what it is visually, but functionally how does it affect the vapor/smoke? Does massive stacking equal max diffusion?

UpUpandAway,
Reactions: ataxian

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
I see people mention "bubble stacking" and I can appreciate what it is visually, but functionally how does it affect the vapor/smoke? Does massive stacking equal max diffusion?
A bit late, but here's my :2c: on that:

IMO, stacking =/= diffusion, but its a very good indicator.
Stacking can be affected by things like the size of the can, how fresh the water is, how much water is in the piece, what sort of drag your vape is introducing etc.

Staler water tends to stack more.
Even a moderately diffused piece with heaps of water will stack high
Its generally easier to stack up a smaller can.

The look of the bubbles themselves is another good indicator, small is good, but consistency is better.
Some tiny bubbles can foam up between some big bubbles I've noticed with a few of my non-gridded showerheads, but with a piece like a matrix or fritter perc, you can get a full can of evenly sized small bubbles.

Another factor I've noticed is the top of the "stacking waterline"
For a more diffused piece, I've noticed that the top is almost a flat line of bubbles, but with a less diffused piece, its more wavy and splashing around.

So
Does massive stacking equal max diffusion?
Short answer: sure
Long answer: in and of itself, no, but its a good yard stick.

Meghan

I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I wish I'd seen this last week! I've been trying to learn more about glass and the terminology has been making my head spin. This was perfect.

lreindl

Pacific NW
OK - here's a question! Is there a difference between female and "direct inject" pieces?

lreindl,

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
OK - here's a question! Is there a difference between female and "direct inject" pieces?
Yes.

A female piece has a female GG joint at its inlet,
A direct inject piece has a male GG joint at its inlet.

That fritter in your avatar pic is a direct inject piece.

If your asking if there's a functional difference, no, you can slap on an adapter, and have either type of piece function like the other one, without affecting the performance of the piece.

The main point of DI pieces, is so that you can use it with a dome and nail for dabs without needing an adapter.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
The recycler part may add some diffusion, but it's minimal. I've hit a few different recyclers and they're not noticeably smoother than a piece of similar size. I think the main advantages are no splashback, and maybe fresher tasting water if you don't change it often.
i noticed there wasn't a clearer description of the function of recyclers so i thought i'd add it here.
imo, the function of a recycler is to do 2 different things.
1. to have longer contact time with the water for cooling without diffusion. i refer to it as carrying cooling rather than diffusion cooling.
2. also it allows for the bubbles to go farther, get closer to the mouthpiece, before popping, therefore granting better flavor.

also noticed that there wasn't a description of turbince percs

3b_large.jpg

a turbine perc's functions allow it to accomplish two goals as well
1. to spin the water and bubbles that are racing up the tube out towards the edges w/ centrifugal force so that it acts as a splash-guard.
2. it also does some "carrying" cooling as well by allowing a more intense water contact while spinning thru it.

anyway. hope that helps add to the glossary. feel free to dispute

Last edited:

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado
Can anyone help me? I am a glass noob and getting a new bong. it has a 18.8mm > 14.5 mm gg joint. If im getting a carbon filter for that does that mean i need a 14.5 mm carbon filter or 18.8? Thanks in advance :)

llama1892,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Can anyone help me? I am a glass noob and getting a new bong. it has a 18.8mm > 14.5 mm gg joint. If im getting a carbon filter for that does that mean i need a 14.5 mm carbon filter or 18.8? Thanks in advance :)
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you will be getting a removable downstem that reduces the 18.8mm joint down to 14.4mm for the slide/adapter. In this case if you want to add a carbon filter, it should be 14.4.

:peace:

mvapes

Scratchin' Glass!
Accessory Maker
If I understand correctly, it sounds like you will be getting a removable downstem that reduces the 18.8mm joint down to 14.4mm for the slide/adapter. In this case if you want to add a carbon filter, it should be 14.4.

Or an 18 would work as well if he leaves the adapter in.

Frederick McGuire

Aggressively Loungey
Or an 18 would work as well if he leaves the adapter in.
? Not entirely sure what adapter you're referring to...

If the downstem is a reducing downstem, it'll have an 18mm male joint, and a 14mm female inlet joint.
In that case, the carbon filter must have a 14mm male outlet.
Since carbon filters and the like tend to use the same joint size for both the inlet and outlet, then a 14mm carbon filter is what woul be required.

llama1892

Aaron Rodgers Afficianado

Yep, you were right. Thank you for the help :)

Top Bottom