1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

Ghost MV1

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by VCBud, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Alegre, I think @Just Justin needs to copyright it before someone plagiarizes it. :cool: And, I ain't kidding. :D

analytika, Just Justin and Alegre like this.
  2. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

He ran the MV1 at 385F. With the default temps, A3 is 392, so he was closer to A3 while getting vapor closer to what I get on A1 (don’t have it handy and I don’t recall the default temp for A1 but it was considerably lower than 385).

Does that make more sense?

3. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@Mr Mellish, am I correct in assuming that you are saying that his unit is running hot since your vape is issue-free, so your using you're vape as a baseline. Right? Or am I still lost? If so, I'll have to go back & re-watch his vid & re-read your post for my obviously lack of comprehension. :doh:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  4. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Squeal! I'm getting really great vapor -- FINALLY! :love:

I just watched a couple of videos on the MV1. Have you guys seen these:

Sneakypete's vid. is great, but a shame that he's basED some of what he says pre-firmware upgrade so it's not accurate. He says to plan on only getting one great hit from a crucible & only 2 draws. And he got the 2nd mp upgrade, but not the 3rd. I'm certain that if he had the mp & firmware updates he'd get more than 1 good hit & more than 2 hits out of a crucible. But all in all a positive review back from Nov.

Click to play YouTube Video

And Vapefiend's vid:

Those RYOT cases that @SirCrackKillaH photo'd at Champs got me to thinking. I'm waiting for GV to offer that hard case for sale. But in the interim, trying to figure out my measurements to put the MV1 & a couple of crucibles (housed in @Ratchett's crucible holder) in a case like this as it's all I need when I go out:

https://www.ryot.com/ryotr-smellsafer-large-hardcasetm-in-black.html

Then I'd like something larger like this that will hold the vape when it's in that GV case. Something like the RYOT Piper Case, but without the flap. There's a couple of videos on youtube showing it.

https://www.ryot.com/ryotr-pipertm-with-smellsafer-technology-in-black.html

@Dazza78 has got a lot of stuff packed in it:

5. skyvaper

skyvaper Well-Known Member

@Summer I use a padded camera bag as my case. It has room for the ghost and the crucible dispenser in the main storage area. It also has one other pocket where I carry my pick. Kind of stealth because as you open the camera bag it looks like a silver camera at first glance. It's not advertised as smell proof but I don't smell anything when everything is in the case.

ShayWhiteGrow and Summer like this.
  6. Mr Mellish

I'm not passing judgement on either MV1; I'm merely making an observation that his clouds at 385 seem similar to mine on A1 (338F according to the app) and pales compared to A2 (365F) or A3 (392F). I do kind of wonder what firmware he was on when he did this.

Additionally, the entire comparison seems odd to me. The Elev8r seems like the most likely choice for a "one hit and quit" device just because the heat isn't regulated in any way. How hot does 30-35 seconds with a torch get that thing? Is it a valid comparison? Is there any reason to expect the Mighty, the Air and the MV1 to be one hitters? I would expect any of those three devices to give a whispy hit on initial warm-up.

Maybe I'm the one missing something.

Sonicboom1991, Summer and skyvaper like this.
  7. skyvaper

skyvaper Well-Known Member

I have to agree with @Mr Mellish when comparing battery convection, hybrid convection/conduction and torch convection. Apples, kiwi, oranges.
    I'll also agree that I see that much vapor @338 on my vape as well. Maybe the crucible was not full or material had a higher moisture content.

Summer and Mr Mellish like this.
  8. Mr Mellish

For what it's worth, I fill the crucible loosely and have never stirred. Here is a shot of my typical ABV. There is no green anywhere in the remnants.

[​IMG]

Summer and Just Justin like this.
  9. Just Justin

Just Justin Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking it out! it took some time, probably too much but there was a lot to cover. Next is the ArGo!
    Thank you for the kind words! I try but I know I'm missing a lot and grammar is not my forte...
    Thank you for checking it out! I'm glad you learned some stuff and I hope it helps you enjoy the MVB-1 even more!

Summer likes this.
  10. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

Copyright is less something you do than something that simply is without you taking action. Unless you're planning on sueing someone. You don't need to file anything to have the right to send a dcma takedown notice.

ohmygodimsohigh likes this.
  11. wrangler

wrangler Member

So, is the first hit a dry out hit? I don’t understand why you don’t get the real deal on the first hit. Lots of taste, but very little vapor. If you have to do a primar hit the first, then it really isn’t an on demand unit, right? Thoughts?

12. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

Because it's a convection & not conduction or a hybrid. It can take a hit or 2 to get the hot air to heat the herb sufficiently to produce vapor. The Milaana2 (& maybe the li'l bud) is the only convection vape that I currently know of the can produce strong vapor on the 1st hit if you prime it right. And being that it's convection means that it's on-demand. A conduction vape will continue to cook your herb as long as it's on & will continue to even if you turn it off until it cools down. With convection, you are only applying heat when you decide to by engaging a button.

Here's a quote from a review that @VCBud did discussioning vapor output:

Question: What was the difference to your live feed where no vapor was coming out?"

"So I'm sure anyone with a convection vape can attest to this, but generally if the stars aren't aligning then vapor production will not be optimal. Basically I had only used the vape a few times before my live stream, and not thinking I ground up a different strain for the stream than what I tested it with before.

This vape, well pure convection vapes in general, are wayyy more sensitive to things like strain and heat level than hybrid vapes. For example, the Mighty is a hybrid heating vape, and I can get loads of vapor from it at as low as 350F, which is damn near impossible with a true convection vape.

I had it on the wrong heat level when I started the stream basically. Before the stream I dialed in my temp with a different strain and it just wasn't hot enough with the new strain I loaded. I didn't realize this was the issue until the last bowl I vaped, I kept thinking I was loading it wrong or something. I also might not have waiting long enough for the vape to pre-heat before I started hitting it, I got a little impatient and started drawing before the light turned green, sometimes it takes a little while to heat up for the first draw.

Just goes to show you that most vapes are not perfect and will require some experimenting for optimal and consistent results."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    analytika likes this.
  13. stickstones

stickstones Vapor concierge

depends on your bud. I've got about 5 different strains I'm playing with right now and some of them kill it on the first hit while others wait for the second hit before releasing their goodies.

14. SirCrackKillaH

SirCrackKillaH Active Member

I agree 100% with this. Depending on the bud being used, vapor will be produced on the first hit. I’ve cycled many different kinds of bud through it over the last month. More than I’ve ever done before. I found that some required higher temps to really get going. Not producing visible vapor on level 2 or reduced compared to 3 and up. Then other buds producing clouds on level 2 right from the jump.

Part of it has been the consistency of the grind, the other part consistency of the bud as far as dryness, wetness, etc.

tonuzzi and Summer like this.
  15. stickstones

My imperfect beta unit has weaseled its way into my daily rotation with Herbie and the Volcano these days. Low temp hits are amazing, and extracts are divine. I'm dialing in my high temp hits and this is where I think the final design tweaks will be noticed. A little more tweaking of the battery and algorithms and it will probably be done and darn near perfect.

It didn't take much use to forget about any complaints I might have had in the beginning about the control scheme, size or weight. Those issues are a thing of the past for me. It fits in my pocket and balances the weight well when I hold it. It's a little heavy in my pocket, but getting around is no problem. And with the crucible holder packed I'm good to go for a long time.

But the hits! I've been chasing portable on-demand hits like this for years, so I'm excited we're finally getting there in the market. Keep your eyes on this one, guys...it's already one of my favorites and it's just gonna get better. I'm looking forward to how it functions when they resume sales.

Almost time for that yummy first hit of the day!

mixchu69, tonuzzi, Summer and 2 others like this.
  16. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@stickstones, I thought they did resume sales with the recent android & ios update. The replacement I just got with the latest android update & 2nd mp upgrade is working fabulously. Can't even image how stellar the MV2 is gonna be!

17. stickstones

Did they? Right on!

Alegre likes this.
  18. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

@stickstones, ss far as I know, they stopped selling somewhere between 1200 & 1500 units (most, if not all, were Bud's pre-orders) when they realized they had a problem. You can go to GV's site now & order & you'll get the latest firmware updates.

Did you get the app to work & did you update yours with the latest firmware?

19. ohmygodimsohigh

ohmygodimsohigh Well-Known Member

With the updated heatsink and the crucible dispenser, I've carried mine several times in the last couple of weeks. That new heatsink/mouthpiece really makes a difference.

20. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yep, the first load I ever put into an MV-1 was Sour Tangie and it gave off visible vapor like a forest fire gives off smoke.

Do you find that sativas give off vapor faster than dense indicas. I think this is so but haven't put enough effort into it to really know.

21. wrangler

wrangler Member

I would think that with ground herb the main issue would have to be of a moisture content rather than strain issue. Moiste firewood always takes longer to start than when the same material is drier. I know that more dense wood always takes longer to start too, but when split into smaller pieces, it catches much faster. I would think herb being ground would equal out the density issue regarding creating vapor.
    The only strain issue that I would think could be an issue would be resin to plant material ratio. Higher density of resin might take longer along with the possibility of certain thc trichomes from different strains possibly having a different vaporization temperature than others. If strains are the issue, then would it make sense to compile a list of strains and how they perform in the Ghost.

22. analytika

analytika Well-Known Member

Milaana 1 on any day of the week.

23. stickstones

Probably more accurate to say different cures vape differently. Or at least some term that takes it into account

slcbdco, SirCrackKillaH and Alegre like this.
  24. Summer

Summer Well-Known Member

This is fine if you are in a legal state & you know what you're getting strain- & quality-wise. Even with no vapor output in the MV1 you get a good head.

From what I read from @AJS, the Mi2 outperforms the Mi1.

SirCrackKillaH likes this.
  25. wrangler

wrangler Member

Definitely a full cure!

Summer: I bought mine a couple weeks ago and it is already outdated? I resent tHe crap out of that, what is this, Microsoft?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors