Discontinued Ghost MV1

JayPizzle

Im not sure that this vape , as well made and thought out as it is , is actually as good as all the hype as made out.

I own a Mighty, a Dynavap, a VapeXhale and have previously owned the firefly 2, the Plenty and a Crafty.

I would put the Ghost MV1 in the same catagory as the firefly 2 . Its better than the firefly 2 but for me its just doesn't make it to the top level.

7.5 out of 10.

Based on your list, your other vaporizers are session, conduction while your less preferable seem to be on demand convection which I think in your case it is more on the user. Convection heating vaporizers are a little tricky to use as it’s not simply pick it up and puff like your run of the mill conduction heating vaporizer.

I’ve had conduction vaporizers before: Solo 2, Pax 3, ArGo.

My convection heating vaporizers were the Haze Square, Splinter and Ghost MV1 and they both hit harder than any other conduction vaporizers I’ve ever used but like I said they were also tricky to use. Your hits are determined by how you inhale.

JayPizzle,
Reactions: LesPlenty

F-UCTD

Just got 50 hits from one crucible. Level one for 40, then level 2 and 3 for the rest. I was rotating the crucible every five draws. Just wanted to test its efficiency compared to the FF2. Outstanding! seeing that I stopped because I didn't enjoy the vapour anymore in the end, if I was going for the maximum number of hits I could have ramped it up into the red lights and got a few more out of it.

As the previous poster stated - your hits are determined by how you inhale. The FF2 was the perfect vape for me to have before this one. That vape liked hand-torn small bits of bud stuffed to overflowing but loosely packed as well. I'm starting to think hand tearing is superior for convection vapes as it allows for an uneven pack and therefore more airflow. Kind of like the difference between a jar filled with large marbles and sand. Plus the fine grinds seem to vapourise much quicker, while little torn bits of bud can be poked and prodded around in the crucible for ages.

F-UCTD

How quickly things can change from ecstasy to agony. My Ghost MV1 Stealth edition developed the latch issue this morning. I just got in touch with Scott at HTV - where I bought it from, so hopefully this will be a minor speedbump on my road to continued Ghost happiness.

david8613

Here is another one. This one I put a very loose pack, too loose I think, it developed a bad hot spot. I tried to vape at higher temps, nothing the air kept going through that same spot. Gonna give a stir pack it a little tighter.

david8613,

F-UCTD

Still looks too tightly packed to me, try hand tearing little bits of bud into the crucible and putting on the lid.

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Here is another one. This one I put a very loose pack, too loose I think, it developed a bad hot spot. I tried to vape at higher temps, nothing the air kept going through that same spot. Gonna give a stir pack it a little tighter.

I don't fill/pack it by using my fingers to tamp down.....I use a medium grind and fill by tapping the sides of the crucible to get the herb to settle evenly and then just put the top on.

Djsleepy

Is it actually combusting? Or does it taste ok? Double check under hot spot for anything that could be causing it....crucible s clean?

Djsleepy,

david8613

I will check those things, do you clean crucibles after each use? I did not do that, only one run through my crucible thought I can go a second time with out cleaning.

david8613,

Djsleepy

I will check those things, do you clean crucibles after each use? I did not do that, only one run through my crucible thought I can go a second time with out cleaning.

You can run several thru before cleaning....but the cleaner you can keep them the better performance you can get....or buy more crucible s either with dispenser or without as some of us have done.....personally I cleAn them after two uses but I have 24 crucibles.....hope it helps....

Also make sure nothing stuck in crucible.holes or residue clogging holes on lids....that can divert air possibly creating issues....

Last edited:
Djsleepy,

Summer

Long Island, NY
@david8613,

I only clean the ceramic crucible maybe every 4 - 6 uses. When refilling a crucible, I suggest always brushing the ss lid with a dry toothbrush to degunk the holes; if need be, dip the t.brush in iso, then rinse lid with water, shake to dry & you are good to go.

Read through the thread & try different suggestions (packing, grind, draw speed). If you are still getting the tunneling, I'd open up a support ticket to have the unit looked at.

Summer

Long Island, NY
Hard to differentiate size of grind in pics. Looks like a medium-fine to medium grind. If so, it's good. (As an aside, I use the BC Grinder & I use both the med. & coarse grind.)

You can fill the crucible by scooping it full right from the grinder base. Then just give it a few finger taps on the crucible's side to evenly disperse the weed. I then ever-so lightly tamp the top.

Last edited:

Summer

Long Island, NY
@david8613, you know what -just scoop up a heaping crucible full, then level off the weed with your finger. The bowl shouldn't be overly or tightly packed, but it still should be solidly full, but definitely not loose or airy. It should be a somewhat dense, even pack. I hope you'll understand what I'm trying to convey. It's tough without a visual. And I'm not one to make a video.

And as far as the lid is concerned, I'll try degunking it with a dry toothbrush, then will add water to the brush head, then try scrubbing it under running water, & if all fail, I'll have to bother to open the iso bottle & dip the t.brush in. I'm so lazy. :razz:

Last edited:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
@david8613 - The grind looks good to me. With a convection vape air flow is really key. The heated air will follow the path of least resistance. The fill should be even and loose enough to allow the air to flow evenly throughout the crucible. Too much tamping and/or drawing too hard, especially with dank herb, can cause air obstruction as the herb clings to each other and forces the air to follow the unobstructed path. I mentally try to imagine the air flow being able to move the herb a tiny bit on a draw to try and find the right pack. I also use the mouthpiece at least halfway to all the way up.

I occasionally get some minor tunneling/charring but I don't sweat it as long as the rest of the herb is spent. If you're consistently getting tunneling no matter what you change up, along with crucible areas that aren't being vaporized give it a deep clean. If the deep clean doesn't clear it up it's time to reach out to Ghost support.

david8613

I am gonna run through my crucibles again, when done I am gonna clean nicely and try again. I think I may have packed too loose, when I press down a little with tool I can tell I have a lot of empty space, my first round crucibles where packed with more product, but still not too tight. I gave the mv1 a break this weekend and tried my dynavape vapcap "M" 2019, that little thing kicked my butt, it gave me a serious punch in the face with effects, where as the mv1 is nice and smooth a cradles you like a little baby. good times! anyone know the size difference of the bowls between the 2 devices? Id like to pick up a nice little cleaning kit with brushes and stuff any recommendations?

david8613,

david8613

.. And try to go until second buzz
Wait, after first buzz to start inhaling then when second buzz happens your supposed to stop, are you saying go for second ending buzz??? I thought going past ending buzzer was bad for engine on unit, couldn't it overheat?

Modnote: Moved reply from quote tags

Last edited by a moderator:
david8613,

Summer

Long Island, NY
are you saying go for second ending buzz???

Where did he even imply this? :uhh:

You are supposed to release the fire button at the 2nd buzz. And, regardless of how long your draw, when you release the fire button, you should continue to draw for a couple of seconds so as to pull air over the heater to cool it.

david8613

Sorry about last post, please disregard. I misread and was multitasking.

I definitely got it now! Nice Vapor from the first hit!!! It was a combination of things, I cleaned my crucible, the top screen was definitely clogged and apparently i had a little too little herb in my crucible, too airy, too much empty space. I was definitely drawing too hard also. So I added a little more product, tamped very very slightly and put the mouth piece a little lower as recommended to restrict airflow some, adjusted my draw to a more slower, steadier, long draw and BAM! I could feel all the vapor tickling the back of my throat, so I knew I got it just right. What I noticed is that the vapor comes mostly towards the end of your draw after the crucible gets nicely heated, so its important to keep that slow, steady draw all the way through past buzzer, and release of button. excellent vape, so smooth so elegant, I love it! I want thank everyone for the great, detailed tips, they all worked great!

I have another question, lol. about how many crucibles do you go through before doing a deep cleaning of heat sink area?

Last edited:

kiddvudu2

Hey everybody, what up?

I store my buds in a UV protected glass jar (made by Herb Preserve) with a 58% boveda pack in the bottom. Every few days I'll use my 3 piece small Santa Cruz Shredder to grind enough to fill the bottom of the grinder bowl, from which I use crucibles to scoop-fill, level off with a wooden golf tee (or crucible lid) and vape at level 2-3 until no more vapor or not tasty anymore. I store the grinded herb inside the grinder and I store that in an air/water proof box with all my other goodies.

Then, I open the door on MV1 to the click (so it stays in place all the way open) and gently dump (away from vape so any bits don't fall inside) onto paper. Now that I have the feel down, I easily dump the lid off first, then move over (so as not to dump the stuff on top of lid), dump the crucible out onto the paper next to the lid. Usually I'll opt to skip ahead to the next paragraph to allow crucible to cool, but I want to stay on topic here for a moment. I then use a nylon bristle brush to clean lid+crucible into my AVB jar. Then I drop the lid and crucible into my cleaning solution.

For my MV1, I close the door, triple click, quickly/gently slide the battery in then out of unit (putting it back into shipping mode). I store my MV1 inside of a Davinci IQ case (electrical tape over zipper to protect from scratching) and I store that inside of my air/water proof box with all my goodies.

@stickstones mentioned using alcohol wipes for cleanup, I also use them for all my vapes. However, for me, the MV1 (expecially the crucibles) just isn't as easy to clean using only the wipes. So, (if you read my previous posts I like to soak my crucibles, lids, heat sink, and ceramic tube in ISO). BUT, I didn't necessarily like dipping my fingers (and equipment) into that ISO every time I used it.

So, over the past 8 days I decided to dilute the alcohol by about 50% with water. Not only do my fingers seriously appreciate it, but it seems to make for a better cleaning agent as well somehow. Maybe it's just that my fingers feel more natural after not enduring the ISO bath, so the surface of the crucible and lid just feel more natural and clean, but either way it's cleaning just as well visibly as before so I'm applying a minor "booyah".

I've developed a hybrid method for cleaning the vape itself. I now use the 50/50 mixture but still soak the heat sink and ceramic tube for up to 15 minutes. When I pull them out I use an alcohol wipe to clean both since they usually still have some residue on them, I also use a q-tip to swab both of them out on the inside. Air dry everything and put it back into my kit when it's dry.

Been super happy with the silver unit and having a 2nd heat sink rig and 14 crucibles makes keeping it clean a breeze - and I know I sound like a broken record, but any vape that is clean performs best that way, MV1 is a standout, no doubt!

Peese!

Top Bottom