Discontinued Ghost MV1

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
I've been having another play this morning.
Using a compton grinder for a medium grind and a gr8tr for fine.
Weighed out 0.1 grams and loaded the bowl. No tamping down, no overloading.
I extended the mouthpiece fully.

Started at the lowest setting (338F) for 2 draws
Level 2 (365F) for another draw
Level 3 (392F) to finish with another 2-4 draws until the vapour stops

GR8TR:
152z11h.jpg

2rery95.jpg

15ojpra.jpg

Compton:
35mifcn.jpg

1570os6.jpg

vs0y01.jpg

I'm actually getting some good vapour clouds at even the lowest setting, which makes me wonder if it's running a little warm? could this cause the hotspots?

I watched their video on using the MV1 with dry herbs and their AVB at around the 6:10 mark (used on levels 1-3 and finished on level 5) looks a lot more uniform than mine and they even gently tamped the herbs down a little beforehand

Their FAQ also specifically mentions not needing to stir :shrug:
Do I need to stir my material in between vapes?
Our true convection heating technology means that heat is distributed throughout the crucible in an even manner, meaning that no stirring of your material is required.

Last edited:

Brewervapesalot

Started at the lowest setting (338F) for 2 draws
Level 2 (365F) for another draw
Level 3 (392F) to finish with another 2-4 draws until the vapour stops

GR8TR:
152z11h.jpg

2rery95.jpg

15ojpra.jpg

Compton:
35mifcn.jpg

1570os6.jpg

vs0y01.jpg

I'm actually getting some good vapour clouds at even the lowest setting, which makes me wonder if it's running a little warm? could this cause the hotspots?

I watched their video on using the MV1 with dry herbs and their AVB at around the 6:10 mark (used on levels 1-3 and finished on level 5) looks a lot more uniform than mine and they even gently tamped the herbs down a little beforehand

Their FAQ also specifically mentions not needing to stir :shrug:

Pack looks tight to me. Try packing more course and even looser. Super airy. Just keep packing looser and looser until the charring stops. On the pack, you should almost, or even, see the holes in the bottom of the crucible. Make sure everything is tight together on the heat sink, etc. If your firmware is updated, and still u get charring when the pack is so loose, the unit has issues.

It's not that the MV1 can't take a tighter tamp and pack, but its material dependent, along with other persnickety variables.

Regardless, with a very light pack it should not char.

Brewervapesalot,
Reactions: Pyr0

martinstraka8282

For me the moisture level of the herb was the game changer.

I was getting whisspy vapor and some hot spots but after drying it out on paper and putting some 58% boveda packs in my jar, its been superb vapor with good even extraction.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Thanks for the replies @Brewervapesalot and @martinstraka8282

It's honestly not packed at all.
The guide says up to 0.12g and I'm putting in less.
Have you seen the amount they put in in the video and how they tamp it down?
I don't do that, I just sprinkle it in to fill to near the top, no tamping, no packing.
It's just a bit dry, so it doesn't look very fluffy.
I've tried a few different strains so far, white widow, blue widow, headband, pineapple express.
The firmware version is v1.4.0

I just tried 0.077g
2 hits on lvl1, 1 hit on lvl2, then a few more hits on lvl3
5zf5zn.jpg

33os0ux.jpg

zxuy3t.jpg

Last edited:

MinnBobber

...................................................................................
It shouldn't be so charred on level 3?
Is your SS lid nice and clean? It can look clean when holes are actually plugged, causing uneven airflow
and charring.
Did you pull the cooling unit and test for it being airtight/no leaks as that would also mess up airflow.

Keep trying

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Hi @MinnBobber, yes I've been keeping the lids and the bowls clean with a storz&bickel brush after every load and a quick wipe with an iso soaked tissue every now and then.
I've just taken the heatsink apart and reassembled it (after a quick wipe) and it still appears to be air tight by covering the bottom holes and sucking on the mouthpiece - tested before and after taking it apart

Pyr0,
Reactions: Summer

Trulukkyphrank

@Pyr0

What levels do you mean? The amber or the red levels?

Have you tried to calibrate the device? In standby mode, press 3 times both buttons together, and than click the front button until you have the green setting.

Trulukkyphrank,

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
Thanks for the tip @Trulukkyphrank

I'm only using the amber levels now.
I only tried the first red light at the very beginning, but found it too hot and charring.
Since then I've been sticking with the first 3 amber lights

So, to calibrate it. It's in standby with all lights off. I just click both buttons together three times, then press the front one three times to wake it? no holding or anything?
Is there any indication that it worked?

I clicked the buttons, then pressed the front one three times and it shows a single green led like it's ready to vape again. Is that correct?

[edit] tried again and got some kind of disco setting lol
not sure what it's doing, I was seeing multiple lights, but no single green seting.
flashing amber, solid green
flashing amber
flashing amber, solid red
back to flashing amber, solid green - i left it on this one

Trulukkyphrank

@Pyr0 sorry I was too general. Yes

[edit] tried again and got some kind of disco setting lol
not sure what it's doing, I was seeing multiple lights, but no single green seting.
flashing amber, solid green
flashing amber
flashing amber, solid red
back to flashing amber, solid green - i left it on this one

This is exactly what I meant!

I'm also interested if this helps a little bit?

Trulukkyphrank,

Brewervapesalot

Thanks for the replies @Brewervapesalot and @martinstraka8282

It's honestly not packed at all.
The guide says up to 0.12g and I'm putting in less.
Have you seen the amount they put in in the video and how they tamp it down?
I don't do that, I just sprinkle it in to fill to near the top, no tamping, no packing.
It's just a bit dry, so it doesn't look very fluffy.
I've tried a few different strains so far, white widow, blue widow, headband, pineapple express.
The firmware version is v1.4.0

I just tried 0.077g
5zf5zn.jpg

33os0ux.jpg

zxuy3t.jpg

I would run this by Ghost Customer Service. That bowl is half full and charred to the point of black tid bits. Not terrible but if you taste char on the first couple/three hits that's an issue. Seems reminiscent of prior MV1 issues.

Brewervapesalot,

DJ!

That does look a lot better pyro. I'm not getting the same level of cher that you are but I find that if I do a stir and finish on 4 I still get a last decent pull, edges at the top are still greenish after 1 pull on lvl2 and 2 pulls on lvl3.

I didn't realize how often the device needs a heatsink cleaning, thought I messed up packing a few only to pop the heatsink and boy was it gummy.

DJ!,

bigdaddycurtis

Well , after a couple of weeks of experimenting, I must say I’m very satisfied with the overall performance of the mv1. I’ve mastered the grind and moisture content of the flower. So I am now on to concentrates. Got 3 grams of sour diesel shatter and I must say was surprised by the performance. Once warmed up, after a couple of flavor cycles, it ripped. Very little goes a long way. Sat with three of my buddy’s and they had no problem operating the mv1. This thing is legit. It does get warm but I’m not surprised considering the temps used for concentrates. Two questions. 1. I saw a reviewer using a water bubbler on the mv1. Anybody have a link or info on it. Interested in seeing how that works. 2. Probably more toward nerrisa, I haven’t received a email confirmation that I registered my unit. I want to take advantage of the 5 year warranty. On the mv1 app it says it’s registered. Any ideas? Thanks. Hope everyone who celebrates had a happy thanksgiving.

dodgy_b

@Pyr0

What levels do you mean? The amber or the red levels?

Have you tried to calibrate the device? In standby mode, press 3 times both buttons together, and than click the front button until you have the green setting.

So I haven't heard or read about calibration? Is it something that needs to be done regularly?

I too am having uneven results/avb but to be fair I'm still working on the grinding/packing variables and techniques.

Just wondering if calibrating is something for me to consider.

dodgy_b,
I definitely think it's helped a bit, thank you :tup:
The first amber level is giving lighter clouds now and the load does appear slightly lighter in colour after finishing on amber 3:
28webns.jpg

iwumiw.jpg
This looks a bit under filled I have not had luck when it was filled as you illustrated.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

Summer

Long Island, NY
"manual calibration" feature that let's you manually override the software settings and increase or decrease the power output of the whole unit.

Per ghost-ops, "the point of the manual calibration is that it adjusts particular aspects of the heating profile of all settings by a small percentage up or down - even those which can’t be adjusted with the app - so allowing that little bit extra leeway for a user to get to the precise setting that suits their particular material (or draw speed and so on) and get the best from the device."

Bud illustrates how to do this calibration @ 43:08 in his vid. (In standby mode, press both buttons at same time three times, then press the mode button to change between the 3 heat levels, wait until the light goes off & then press the mode button 3 times to turn back on.)

*Here you can also clearly watch how he packs his crucible using what he calls a medium-coarse grind (which I think may be subjective) with the Space Case.

At around 31:00 but talks about packing the crucible. It's funny how we all have different, successful methods of packing. At 55:00, he changes to a finer grind. Then there's a big gap until about 1:02 before he starts using the finer grind.

At around 50:30, he talks about what the prob. may be with the Ghost having a digital temp. readout.

There may be more helpful tips after this, but for now, this as far as I've watched.

OT: At around 37:00+ min., Bud sums up the difference between convection & conduction succinctly.

Last edited:

TimeBomb0

[...]
1570os6.jpg

vs0y01.jpg

This is exactly what my ABV looks like too with the latest MV1, FWIW. Still great clouds and several hits, so I tried not to think too much of it. I tired packing differently, grinding differently, all next to no difference. Still about 50/50 green/black like yours.

Even removing the black and stirring after 3-5 hits charred some of the material and left some of it not looking vaporized much at all.

Will try packing even looser, but if that doesn't work, sounds like contacting customer service is the next route. Let us know if you solve your charring issue and I'll do the same.

Pyr0

Stoned Roses
This is exactly what my ABV looks like too with the latest MV1, FWIW. Still great clouds and several hits, so I tried not to think too much of it. I tired packing differently, grinding differently, all next to no difference. Still about 50/50 green/black like yours.

Even removing the black and stirring after 3-5 hits charred some of the material and left some of it not looking vaporized much at all.

Will try packing even looser, but if that doesn't work, sounds like contacting customer service is the next route. Let us know if you solve your charring issue and I'll do the same.
Using the calibration to reduce the temperature profile helped a little bit. Although I've set it back to default again for now as I experiment with a faster draw speed this morning.

Nerissa advised me to open a ticket with ghost on Friday, which I have done and kept it updated with my testing.

"manual calibration" feature that let's you manually override the software settings and increase or decrease the power output of the whole unit.

Per ghost-ops, "the point of the manual calibration is that it adjusts particular aspects of the heating profile of all settings by a small percentage up or down - even those which can’t be adjusted with the app - so allowing that little bit extra leeway for a user to get to the precise setting that suits their particular material (or draw speed and so on) and get the best from the device."

Bud illustrates how to do this calibration @ 43:08 in his vid. (In standby mode, press both buttons at same time three times, then press the mode button to change between the 3 heat levels, wait until the light goes off & then press the mode button 3 times to turn back on.)

*Here you can also clearly watch how he packs his crucible using what he calls a medium-coarse grind (which I think may be subjective) with the Space Case.

At around 31:00 but talks about packing the crucible. It's funny how we all have different, successful methods of packing. At 55:00, he changes to a finer grind. Then there's a big gap until about 1:02 before he starts using the finer grind.

At around 50:30, he talks about what the prob. may be with the Ghost having a digital temp. readout.

There may be more helpful tips after this, but for now, this as far as I've watched.

OT: At around 37:00+ min., Bud sums up the difference between convection & conduction succinctly.
Thanks for posting the vid @Summer :) I managed to watch it all and wow, he actually turned it UP to make it even hotter :o and then used level 5 :evil:
Did he mention if he had set a custom temperature for F2/red2/level5?

Can anyone tell me what the default F1/F2 temps were please?

It really is funny how everyone advises different packs of the crucibles.
I've been told I've put too much in and packing it too tight but then i've also been told I'm not putting enough in lol :shrug:
I tried Buds way of using the crucible to scoop the herb, add a bit more, then gently tamping/brushing off the excess, but apart from getting larger/more clouds, it made minimal difference to the hot spots, so I think I'll probably keep packing them this way :shrug:

Last edited:
Pyr0,

Brewervapesalot

Using the calibration to reduce the temperature profile helped a little bit. Although I've set it back to default again for now as I experiment with a faster draw speed this morning.

Nerissa advised me to open a ticket with ghost on Friday, which I have done and kept it updated with my testing.

Thanks for posting the vid @Summer :) I managed to watch it all and wow, he actually turned it UP to make it even hotter :o and then used level 5 :evil:
Did he mention if he had set a custom temperature for F2/red2/level5?

Can anyone tell me what the default F1/F2 temps were please?

It really is funny how everyone advises different packs of the crucibles.
I've been told I've put too much in and packing it too tight but then i've also been told I'm not putting enough in lol :shrug:
I tried Buds way of using the crucible to scoop the herb, add a bit more, then gently tamping/brushing off the excess, but apart from getting larger/more clouds, it made minimal difference to the hot spots, so I think I'll probably keep packing them this way :shrug:

To be clear, the MV1 can work with a variety of packs, material quality (humidity level, kief amount, etc.,) depending, from tighter to looser, fine grind to coarse grind, to no grind.....

However, for your purposes, my understanding is that you have visual charring and charring you can taste. Trust me, I went through five MV1's, I am familiar with your problems and trying problem shoot.

The point of very loosely packing is not to get the best hits. It's to see if your unit is defective or determine if you're doing something wrong.

Bottom line is that with a course, loose pack, if the unit is updated, put together correctly, with an acceptable draw speed--there should be no charring at all that you can taste in the first couple draws on any setting up to "2 red."

If this is the case, something is wrong, stop wasting your time, and get a ticket going to get a replacement or fix.

You might see some charring after many/multiple hits at "1 or 2 red" but by then the material is long cooked. That would be ok, especially if it didn't taste charred, just well cooked. On amber settings with a loose, coarse, pack, there should never be charring, seen or tasted.

I have two units that produced a charring taste in the first draw with a loose pack, and at any draw speed, and ghost verified the problem and sent replacements.

Just test as I said, and speak with ghost, and you'll get sorted..... they're customer service is top notch (as any $400 vape should have), but even going above and beyond any other company....

Last edited:

zherer

Just wanted to post an update following a couple of days playing around with my new MV1...

So I'm still not sold on this thing. The potency is definitely there, as is the flavour which is astonishing on the first couple of draws. I am, however, still having some issues - hopefully some kind soul may be able to help me out a little further!

I'm seeing improved results when using flower, mostly by using a fine grind instead of coarse - I'm packing pretty loose and all the way to the top and my flower is dry, so don't think there's any issues there. I tend to get 2-3 hits from each crucible, starting on am3 and finishing on red 4/5. Not quite seeing the performance I'd like but hopefully it's user error.

However, it's the units performance with concentrates that is worrying me slightly... I'll drop a bb sized piece onto the middle of the liquid pad and allow it to melt on my first draw (no vapour as expected). I immediately take my second draw and may see some light, whispy vapour (not what I expect based on reviews and Ghost's own video on using concentrates). I'll get another draw of whispy vapour on the next draw and the bowl appears to be done after that. No evidence of the concentrate left on the liquid pad and the crucible does come out extremely hot. As far as I'm aware I shoud get 8-10 good draws, and I'm definitely not feeling any effects!

Have checked for any leaks (appear to be all good here) and have tried with a number of different draw techniques, ranging from slower (as advised by ghost) to quick (as advised by some members of this thread, only on the second draw onwards). Crucible comes out very hot so really not sure what could be the issue here... Would be super grateful for any advice! The same concentrate goes down a treat in my cloud evo so I'd love to get it working in the Ghost for some on demand hits!

Top Bottom