Ghost MV-1 Speculation and Shipping Thread

Stormsend

What I said is not what you thought I meant. Look if you want to put your $$$ out there go for it. Ive got a free Boundless Tera coming anyway!
Lol ok. It is my money, and I'm gonna get this day 1. Like I said if this is better than the mighty then I'll be selling mine. If the mighty is still king then I'll return this. What is important to me is multi sessions in one load. With the mighty it is only one session with dosing capsules. But since this is convection, hopefully I can take 2-3 hits, and put it away without changing the capsule.

jay87

I'm interested.....:popcorn:

I'm very interested. I see this vape as somewhat of a spiritual successor to the Firefly 2.

Take the FF2 design, make it vertical, add loading capsules, fix the airflow and crank up the heater and voila you have the MV1.

Still waiting on a concentrate video but I'm going to bet right now that the MV1 is gonna be the new benchmark for concentrate usage from a convection portable.

If you only care about dry herb there's probably better or more cost effective options, but for me the ability to do both dry herb and concentrates well is huge, and there's really no other portables that can do both effectively that I know of. :tup:

Baron23

I also read that you had to put a deposit, full price, on the unit before they even have one to sell.

Where did you read this at as I don't believe its true. Right now, the only thing you can do is submit your name/email to reserve a spot in the shipping queue for when they get their stock in hand. No deposit required (actually, no ability to send a deposit even if you wanted to). When they get stock, they will notify you if you are on the list and at that point, if you still want, you must initiate and process an order and pay for it then.

To the board and my many friends here - I have been away for a long weekend at a skeet shoot (shot a 98 in the 12 ga event, not too bad for an old guy with a lot of health crap LOL) and this was good as it gave me some perspective on this thread and the argument that I had with a couple of folks last week.

I apologize to the board for my part in all of that. To date, I have never received a warning point and while I have had posts deleted, not to this extent. I believe that's because I generally stay away from that type of interpersonal arguing when I can resist it. In this case, I did not and @Stu was correct to delete mine and the other offending posts.

So, with this new found perspective, these are my views on this vape and the Vape Critic:

I like Bud (the VC) a lot and think he has done the best job as a reviewer in the industry. At least I have found his reviews in the past to be the most informative and useful to me.

He has been very clear and open about his financial relationship with Ghost and his role with them as a consultant to them on defining requirements and features. I understand why...of course to make money (we all need to eat and pay our bills) and I believe him when he says he was just excited to have an opportunity to provide input to a vape and try to ensure it delivered all that we as a community want.

But I also agree that this relationship does undermine his objectivity and independence and it is very easy to cross the line from critic to advocate. He has put his own money on the line with his buy back offer, but the fundamental issue of independence still remains. I personally don't see a way for any vape critics to get around this at the present as there are no paid positions for vape reviewers (this ain't like Siskel and Ebert getting paid by networks for their film reviews, yeah?). Yeah, you see review stuff on some of the MJ sites (like Weedmaps or Leafly) of some products, but mostly its either a promotion or a top level and somewhat shallow look at the product. If anybody has a better business model for vaporizer reviewing, please bring it up. There might be many reviewers who would be interested.

As for the vape itself, well....it says it has a number of features that I personally like in a vape, but none of us has used it so IMO none of us really know much about it at all on which to basis an opinion.

There are some things apparent that I'm not thrilled about. I think they need to some how make the crucible lid captured by the ceramic oven. Right now they just sit on there and while I may be able to get the crucible and its lid into the swing arm alright (while sitting at a table, certainly not in the field), many MMJ patients will not be capable of this. Also, those lids are going to get dropped and lost. IMO, this needs to be fixed.

I also do not personally like the single button, cycle through modes and settings function, with only one single lighting display for all functions. I get minimalism, but to me this just makes control of the vape an unnecessary PIA. Not a show stopper for me, but I don't care for it.

With in that display, I don't like having to cycle through battery power levels to get to temp settings. If anything, this should be reversed and that's fairly easy to do as I'm sure this is all firmware driven.

So, perhaps this is going to be a really great, true on-demand, full convection vape that's going to come out which hits all of my wants in this type of portable. But, until then, neither I nor any others of us will know if it fulfills its promises.

As for Ghost, I have no idea who these guys are so its a bit early for me to tear into them. However, I just ran the vid that they have on their website and it made me want to hurl. Personally, I really intensely dislike that whole "Matthew David McConaughey in a Lincoln commercial" type pitch. The only thing it was missing was the two models running to each other on the beach in slow-mo with arms outstretched and sappy music in the background. Snob and life style appeal marketing doesn't work for me. IMO, this is the path FF took and I dislike them and some of their actions and communications sufficient that I will not buy anything from them. I certainly hope Ghost doesn't issue an FF type promotional video with the CEO saying "hmmmm, I think I'll have another" (do you remember that gag inducing moment in their vid LOL)

I do think they got their marketing out a bit prematurely. Hell, they don't yet have stock and their warranty provisions are still undefined and not yet communicated to the market. To me, this makes them premature on the marketing.

So, we will see what we will see when this device is actually released sometime in the next few weeks (presumably).

I'm sure that this is more than you wanted to read but I did want to clear the air about some stuff.

Cheers

Last edited:

Stormsend

Where did you read this at as I don't believe its true. Right now, the only thing you can do is submit your name/email to reserve a spot in the shipping queue for when they get their stock in hand. No deposit required (actually, no ability to send a deposit even if you wanted to). When they get stock, they will notify you if you are on the list and at that point, if you still want, you must initiate and process an order and pay for it then.

To the board and my many friends here - I have been away for a long weekend at a skeet shoot (shot a 98 in the 12 ga event, not too bad for an old guy with a lot of health crap LOL) and this was good as it gave me some perspective on this thread and the argument that I had with a couple of folks last week.

I apologize to the board for my part in all of that. To date, I have never received a warning point and while I have had posts deleted, not to this extent. I believe that's because I generally stay away from that type of interpersonal arguing when I can resist it. In this case, I did not and @Stu was correct to delete mine and the other offending posts.

So, with this new found perspective, these are my views on this vape and the Vape Critic:

I like Bud (the VC) a lot and think he has done the best job as a reviewer in the industry. At least I have found his reviews in the past to be the most informative and useful to me.

He has been very clear and open about his financial relationship with Ghost and his role with them as a consultant to them on defining requirements and features. I understand why...of course to make money (we all need to eat and pay our bills) and I believe him when he says he was just excited to have an opportunity to provide input to a vape and try to ensure it delivered all that we as a community want.

But I also agree that this relationship does undermine his objectivity and independence and it is very easy to cross the line from critic to advocate. He has put his own money on the line with his buy back offer, but the fundamental issue of independence still remains. I personally don't see a way for any vape critics to get around this at the present as there are no paid positions for vape reviewers (this ain't like Siskel and Ebert getting paid by networks for their film reviews, yeah?). Yeah, you see review stuff on some of the MJ sites (like Weedmaps or Leafly) of some products, but mostly its either a promotion or a top level and somewhat shallow look at the product. If anybody has a better business model for vaporizer reviewing, please bring it up. There might be many reviewers who would be interested.

As for the vape itself, well....it says it has a number of features that I personally like in a vape, but none of us has used it so IMO none of us really know much about it at all on which to basis an opinion.

There are some things apparent that I'm not thrilled about. I think they need to some how make the crucible lid captured by the ceramic oven. Right now they just sit on there and while I may be able to get the crucible and its lid into the swing arm alright (while sitting at a table, certainly not in the field), many MMJ patients will not be capable of this. Also, those lids are going to get dropped and lost. IMO, this needs to be fixed.

I also do not personally like the single button, cycle through modes and settings function, with only one single lighting display for all functions. I get minimalism, but to me this just makes control of the vape an unnecessary PIA. Not a show stopper for me, but I don't care for it.

With in that display, I don't like having to cycle through battery power levels to get to temp settings. If anything, this should be reversed and that's fairly easy to do as I'm sure this is all firmware driven.

So, perhaps this is going to be a really great, true on-demand, full convection vape that's going to come out which hits all of my wants in this type of portable. But, until then, neither I nor any others of us will know if it fulfills its promises.

As for Ghost, I have no idea who these guys are so its a bit early for me to tear into them. However, I just ran the vid that they have on their website and it made me want to hurl. Personally, I really intensely dislike that whole "Matthew David McConaughey in a Lincoln commercial" type pitch. The only thing it was missing was the two models running to each other on the beach in slow-mo with arms outstretched and sappy music in the background. Snob and life style appeal marketing doesn't work for me. IMO, this is the path FF took and I dislike them and some of their actions and communications sufficient that I will not buy anything from them. I certainly hope Ghost doesn't issue an FF type promotional video with the CEO saying "hmmmm, I think I'll have another" (do you remember that gag inducing moment in their vid LOL)

I do think they got their marketing out a bit prematurely. Hell, they don't yet have stock and their warranty provisions are still undefined and not yet communicated to the market. To me, this makes them premature on the marketing.

So, we will see what we will see when this device is actually released sometime in the next few weeks (presumably).

I'm sure that this is more than you wanted to read but I did want to clear the air about some stuff.

Cheers
Sorry I was trying to quote someone else here who was misinformed and I copied that part from his message. I was doing this from a phone. I know they do not ask for a deposit. Someone else was just trying to pass misinformation.

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
If you only care about dry herb there's probably better or more cost effective options, but for me the ability to do both dry herb and concentrates well is huge, and there's really no other portables that can do both effectively that I know of. :tup:
The Milaana can do both VERY effectively. Plenty of others can too including Grasshopper, Touch, Alternate, and probably some I'm forgetting.

Hogni

Honi soit qui mal y pense
...it'll kill everything when handled right! Even tobcco tastes delicious with the VC.

It's working nice when used native, paired with a wt and I love vaping hash with the VC used together with the DDave VC vapor cooler or something else. So smooth and tasty when open drawed without feathering the VC. It delivers pure enjoyment with only a little air restriction.

And putting the cherry on the cake heat the VC with Pipe's induction heater in just a few seconds.

jay87

The Milaana can do both VERY effectively. Plenty of others can too including Grasshopper, Touch, Alternate, and probably some I'm forgetting.

As @Hogni mentioned there are many vapes out there that do both quite well.
But my favorite for both herb and concentrate is the good old vapcap. It freaking kills concentrates and herb.

Come on now that's not entirely true.

I'm talking about real convection heating with concentrates by themselves, and dry herb by itself, as a natural part of the vaporizer. If I have to sandwich anything it's not doing both well by themselves.

The Alternate and the Touch are just average in my opinion and are essentially just your run of the mill mid-tier conduction vaporizers. The Alternate being a "hybrid" but I'm not impressed.

The Hopper is good but also requires hemp fiber, herb sandwich, or I have to cut my own concentrate pads and I have the added bonus of potentially killing my heater if the concentrates leak as if there weren't enough reliability issues with the hopper.

The Vapcap is good, but it is also a conduction vaporizer primarily and requires either a hemp fiber sandwich or I have to cut my own concentrate pads, but at least my heater won't get fried if the concentrates leak.

The Milaana may be the closest but even that can't do concentrates natively, and it commonly has issues with hot spots. I have to cut my own pads or use hemp fiber or a sandwich, and even then if it leaks I'll have huge issues and may ruin my heater.

Vaporizers that easily offer top tier performance with both dry herb and concentrates when used independently are still few and far between. :2c:

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask

I'm talking about real convection heating with concentrates by themselves, and dry herb by itself, as a natural part of the vaporizer. If I have to sandwich anything it's not doing both well by themselves.

The Alternate and the Touch are just average in my opinion and are essentially just your run of the mill mid-tier conduction vaporizers. The Alternate being a "hybrid" but I'm not impressed.

The Hopper is good but also requires hemp fiber, herb sandwich, or I have to cut my own concentrate pads and I have the added bonus of potentially killing my heater if the concentrates leak as if there weren't enough reliability issues with the hopper.

The Vapcap is good, but it is also a conduction vaporizer primarily and requires either a hemp fiber sandwich or I have to cut my own concentrate pads, but at least my heater won't get fried if the concentrates leak.

The Milaana may be the closest but even that can't do concentrates natively, and it commonly has issues with hot spots. I have to cut my own pads or use hemp fiber or a sandwich, and even then if it leaks I'll have huge issues and may ruin my heater.

Vaporizers that easily offer top tier performance with both dry herb and concentrates when used independently are still few and far between. :2c:
If you're counting organic cotton or hemp fiber (which is all that is required for any convection vaporizer to vaporize concentrates) as "not native" then I guess you would count the oil pad that the Ghost requires to use concentrates as not native either.

jay87

If you're counting organic cotton or hemp fiber (which is all that is required for any convection vaporizer to vaporize concentrates) as "not native" then I guess you would count the oil pad that the Ghost requires to use concentrates as not native either.

I'm ok with stainless steel or preferably I wish companies would make better ceramic or a different better concentrate pad material.
The big thing is I'd prefer not to have to pull out the wire cutters and cut different steel pads to fit a vaporizer because that's a bit annoying and there's the whole metal shavings issue, but I have done it before.

Cotton or hemp fiber is just nasty to me. I don't like the fibers at all, they just make the vaporizer so messy and sticky and it's annoying to clean, it's just not for me. I find that the taste just isn't as good when using fibers as opposed to even a stainless steel pad.

Other concentrate vaporizers like pens or mini e-nails that use steel, ceramic, or glass also tend to be pure conduction and dab-like which are ok, but the flavor and vapor quality definitely isn't as good as pure convection.

The thing that lets me give the stainless steel pad a pass is if the heating method is pure convection.

Pure convection heating tends to preserve the flavor of the concentrates extremely well even in a steel pad, and the vapor quality is superior as well I feel.

The dream though is pure convection heating + glass concentrate pads in a portable however that can be accomplished. :science:

jay87,
Reactions: Summer

Cheesequake

Free Men Don't Ask
Cotton or hemp fiber is just nasty to me. I don't like the fibers at all, they just make the vaporizer so messy and sticky and it's annoying to clean, it's just not for me.
We must have drastically different methods of vaporizing with cotton, because the way I use convection vaporizers with cotton leaves literally ZERO residue in the bowl and the cotton comes out in a clean non sticky ball.

Last edited:
Cheesequake,
Reactions: Hogni

Mr. Me2

People rave about the ff2 for concentrates.

jay87

So somehow in your mind using cotton in place of steel makes it not convection? Strange.

We must have drastically different methods of vaporizing with cotton, because the way I use convection vaporizers with cotton leaves literally ZERO residue in the bowl and the cotton comes out in a clean non sticky ball.

No, no, I mean that using a stainless steel pad that is manufactured to fit within the vaporizer is what I consider a vaporizer that can do concentrates by themselves "natively".

I just really don't like the cotton or the fibers, there's always some stickiness and the flavor is affected more than a stainless steel pad.

In terms of concentrate pad materials i'd rank them as glass > ceramic > steel > dry herb > hemp fiber > cotton.

People rave about the ff2 for concentrates.

That's one of my favorites for concentrates, but even that has issues. The flavor is great, the potency is great, the cleanliness is great, and the clouds and vapor quality are absolutely top tier.

The issue with the FF2 is that it overheats, and there's nothing worse than not finishing your dab of concentrate before the vape overheats and now you have to wait. After the wait the concentrate flavor won't be as good as it was during the original heat up.

Also the FF2 is very annoying to use with a water piece. It can be done using tubing but it's almost not worth the effort, if you thought the FF2 technique was hard by itself, imagine doing it through a long tube and water piece :lol:.

StormyPinkness

Rhymenocerous ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
Cotton or hemp fiber is just nasty to me. I don't like the fibers at all, they just make the vaporizer so messy and sticky and it's annoying to clean, it's just not for me. I find that the taste just isn't as good when using fibers as opposed to even a stainless steel pad.
I don't have a problem with messes, but I agree it interferes with the flavor too much. I haven't tried cotton though, just degummed hemp fiber.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
I'm ok with stainless steel or preferably I wish companies would make better ceramic or a different better concentrate pad material.
The big thing is I'd prefer not to have to pull out the wire cutters and cut different steel pads to fit a vaporizer because that's a bit annoying and there's the whole metal shavings issue, but I have done it before.

Other concentrate vaporizers like pens or mini e-nails that use steel, ceramic, or glass also tend to be pure conduction and dab-like which are ok, but the flavor and vapor quality definitely isn't as good as pure convection.

The thing that lets me give the stainless steel pad a pass is if the heating method is pure convection.

Pure convection heating tends to preserve the flavor of the concentrates extremely well even in a steel pad, and the vapor quality is superior as well I feel.

The dream though is pure convection heating + glass concentrate pads in a portable however that can be accomplished. :science:

FWIW RBT offers shredded steel mesh as concentrate containment and it works pretty well in my limited experience, though you may have to form to fit the basket screen a bit, it can actually be formed to fit any convection vape really and is pretty easy to do so at least...

(oh also Touch means MistVape Touch I believe, another pure convection unregulated wood stem vape like Milaana, but 14mm, so not conduction as you said earlier just so you know)

jay87

FWIW RBT offers shredded steel mesh as concentrate containment and it works pretty well in my limited experience, though you may have to form to fit the basket screen a bit, it can actually be formed to fit any convection vape really and is pretty easy to do so at least...

(oh also Touch means MistVape Touch I believe, another pure convection unregulated wood stem vape like Milaana, but 14mm, so not conduction as you said earlier just so you know)

Ooo I thought they were referring to the loki touch. There's a lot of vaporizers these days :lol:

I don't mean to discredit any other vaporizer at all.

What I'm saying is that the MV1 seems to be a vaporizer that might fit my own personal niche perfectly. So I'm genuinely interested in seeing more of this thing.

muunch

hotboxing the cockpit
not like we're going to get more unbiased info before the device is released (which conveniently continues to be pushed back) since the only person who has one (and is allowed to be vocal about it) is on the companies payroll.

at least it's inciting some fairly interesting(and tame!) discussion

Top Bottom