Ghost MV 1 vs Splinter/Splinter Z

HeavyHitter123

I felt a need to create an account because I am pretty uniquely qualified to respond to this thread. I own a Ghost, Splinter, Splinter Z (broken but ordered a replacement) and a VapCap M. I am a long time smoker and the primary factors I looked for when switching to vaping were: potency and taste.
My first vape is a Pax 2 which was good enough to convert me (it is ultra portable and hits pretty nicely) but I wanted a vape for home use. After lots of research on most potent home vape I ended up purchasing the Plenty which blew me away. The purpose of explaining this is I was looking for a portable vape that would outperform the Mighty since it's basically a smaller Plenty. I also got a Vapecap in that time which is awesome and still used on occasion (almost exclusively with a water pipe) but once I got my Splinter/Z/Ghost I started using it a lot less.
A lot more research, which included this entire thread up until the time of my purchases (on Black Friday) are what lead me to my decision. I decided on the Splinter Z which was consensus hardest hitting portable actually available for purchase. RBT had a sale going on where I was able to get a Splinter V2, Splinter Z V2 and Xlr8 stem for around 125 (it's a little closer to 160 for this package without the sale). I wanted a good mod so I got a Paranormal 250c and downloaded the profiles for both vapes. While watching a video on the Splinter I saw a message of someone saying: The ghost is on sale for 125 with the crucible kit and the fast charger... crazy deal so I had to get it.
For the vapes themselves: The Ghost MV1 is a great vape, it is a bit more portable than the Splinter but the two accessories which came with my purchase are almost a must have... takes a full day of charging without the fast charger before first use, about 2 hours with it. The Ghost uses little crucible ovens which hold a small amount and can be a bit of a hassle to use at times and easy to lose but the crucible holder comes with 6 extra crucibles so you can keep them all filled. I use it at 435 degrees: you press 3 times to turn on, hold till it vibrates then inhale for 10-20 sec. The first couple hits are massive and tasty then it drops off. I usually get between 5 and 10 hits depending on the bud. Taste is great, decent to clean, a bit of a hassle to fill but nothing difficult... app is needed to adjust temp which is a bit of a pain.
The normal Splinter is a great vape, I prefer it over the Ghost and with my Z out of commision and wait for a replacement I find my self reaching for the Splinter a lot more than the Ghost. After a lot of experimentation with TCR and wattage mode I currently (as of a few hours ago) am using it Wattage Boost most at 35 watts with Punch set to max and it is hitting like a beast (finally). Taste is great on TCR but clouds were not up to par with the Z, honestly cant wait to try the Z in this mode.
Now for my baby, the Z (I ordered 2 replacements and a new Xlr8 stem). Once I got the Z it basically killed the Plenty for me. IMO it is the hardest hitting, tastiest vape I have used portable or not. The flavor purity from all 3 of these vapes tops any S&B product by a wide margin IMO
And the potent and flavorful clouds I can get off the Z are insane. The Z has become my daily driver to the point that when it broke a few days ago I immediately ordered a replacement. I used my Z exclusive in TCR mode between 365 and 435 but and going to try in Watt boost mode on the new one. The Z only broke after slamming hard into concrete, the Ghost has done the same thing twice and other than some scratches there is no damage done. The Ghost is a tank of a vape.
The Z is a bit longer than the Splinter and both, especially with the Xlr8 stem are not very stealthy so the Ghost beats it there. I make up for this by holding it in the inside pocket of my jacket where I can use it from there if necessary. The Splinters use a basket style screen and as a few other said it holds a bit less bud but is a lot easier to fill just breath in through the stem and tap it down. I use the Xlr8 stem for normal vaping and one of the normal stems with a piece of tubing on the end for water pipe use. They work great both ways, flavor stays nice in Xlr8 IMO and the clouds you get without a water pipe are massive and cool. With the Z and a good bong I have taken some of the biggest hits I have in my life. You get significantly less but much bigger hits this way. I usually get 20+ hits from a bowl without water pipe, about 5 big ones with, but it can vary depending on the bud.
I am sorry for the novel but this forum helped me find what may be the best portable vapes at least currently available so whoever is already here is very close to making a great decision already IMO. Hopefully I helped someone make a decision. Bottom line: I am glad I have all of them, even my Vapcap still gets use but not as much, still a nice purchase for ~$70. Splinter Z V2 is the best vape I have used with regular Splinter V2 and Ghost coming in 2nd and 3rd. The VapCap as a good alternative and I guess tied for 4th with my Plenty which is also almost exclusively used through water these days. My poor pax has remained more or less abandoned.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter123

Update: 32 watts with punch maxed out and boost on seems to be the golden number for using the regular Splinter in Watt boost mode. Any higher and it gets dangerously close to combustion. Will update again when I try this mode with the Z when it comes.

HeavyHitter123,

Bazinga

Could you explain watt boost mode. If I use my Splinter(s) at 32 watts (wattage mode) the vapor is minimal. I do increase the wattage and turn the stem every few puffs. When I reach 42 watts the vapor is somewhat harsh. Does this mean I'm combusting?

Bazinga,

HeavyHitter123

Could you explain watt boost mode. If I use my Splinter(s) at 32 watts (wattage mode) the vapor is minimal. I do increase the wattage and turn the stem every few puffs. When I reach 42 watts the vapor is somewhat harsh. Does this mean I'm combusting?

My Paranormal DNA 250C has several modes/profiles built in, one of these is labeled Watt Boost. From looking at the settings for the Atomizer it has: 1) the resistance measurement: Paranormal measures resistance automatically, the Splinter V2 is listed as 0.25 according to the mod. 2) Power: set to 32 Watts, temp listed as NA so ignoring that, 3) Boost set to On, if you dont have this setting on your mod you may be able to add/display it through the escribe app. This is what makes it Watt Boost mode. 4) Punch is set to 11. Punch is interchangeable with another setting depending on what profile you are using, should also be customizable through app.

Update: So from watching the vape it seems what Boost does is kick it up to about 47.8 for I believe 2 seconds then drops back down to 32. The key is to start hitting as soon as it fires so you get ~2 sec of inhale at 47.8 and the rest at 32 which makes the clouds from the normal Splinter comparable to the Z. The Z naturally works at a higher wattage because it's bigger so I would guess something like 45 watts with a boost to around 55-60.

Last edited:

david8613

I had splinters before and liked them alot vapor wise, just wasn't crazy about the bulkiness and top heaviness of the device with mod. I'm looking into buy a milaana. Can Someone tell me how it compares in the vapor department.

david8613,

BestBuds

The Dude
I had splinters before and liked them alot vapor wise, just wasn't crazy about the bulkiness and top heaviness of the device with mod. I'm looking into buy a milaana. Can Someone tell me how it compares in the vapor department.
A Milaana and a splinter are the same vape in a different form.

BestBuds,
Reactions: david8613

david8613

That's what I wanted to know, so it looks like the form factor of the milaana might be better for me.

david8613,
Top Bottom