Getting sick from my new Herbalaire!!!...help?

Katilsday

Hi everyone. I really need some advice.
After a few weeks reading on these and other forums, I decided to order the HerbalAire 2.1 from greatvape.com, with a discount coupon from the company. I was ridiculously excited to get it when it came a few days ago. I had really high expectations, and they've only been partly met. I'm also having some pretty bad issues.

Most importantly, since I started using it, I've been having bad congestion in my nose, and horrible drymouth, even when I havn't used it recently. I can't figure out why this is happening, but my friend (who also used it with me when it came) is also having congestion. I'm worried this is from the hot 'teflon' mouthpieces, or fine particles (i got new screens today, but they havn't helped much).

More generally, I havn't found it nearly as efficient as expected, though all I put it comes out nicely toasted. It appears that it still cooks while sitting between bags or whip draws, which the promotional info said it wouldn't.
Furthermore, even though I'm using high-grade stuff, I'm not getting much of a clean taste, even when the vape is kept at low temps. Even bubbling it through my hookah doesn't help very much.

I'm at a loss - I really like this vape, but it seems like its making me sick. My lungs feel fine, but I can barely breath through my nose, and I'm going through stuff suprisingly fast with it. I don't want to return it, but now I'm considering the Extreme or DBV instead.

I know that's a lot to read, but I don't know what to do. I read someone say they had throat irritation for a week, but then they got better. I've been using it for 3 full days, how much longer should I use it if its making my nosesick? Furthermore, are there any legal issues with returning a used vaporizer through the USPS?

Thanks for any information. These forums helped me choose the Herbalaire, and I really like the design and use...but the congestion andthroat irritation arent' what I expected.

Katilsday,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Katilsday

I've been using a herbalaire for over a year now.

Although I've never experienced your symptoms, I have a few suggestions that may help:

- I inserted a finer mesh stainless steel screen into the mouthpiece and never grind the herb to avoid inhaling particulate

- for direct draw, I use a foot or so of soft silicone, high temp tubing (you can use temp resistant tygon type as well) that goes over the mouthpiece. This may help to cool the vapour which may be causing the dry mouth. A slow steady draw under the tongue instead of inhaling directly into the lungs (mouth bonging) may help you as well.

- lower temperature vaping (~ 160C or 320F) to start and using the bags only for a while may help

- as far as the taste, suggest you give the screens/mouthpiece/teflon tubing a good cleaning with some isoalcohol, followed by a water rinse and drying

- how full do you load the bowl? I get good results with small amounts of herb (loosely packed), as far as effiency. AFAIK, the herb will not cook when not drawing or using the pump as there is no air flowing through it.

Have you ever used any other vape(s)? I'm just wondering if you got similiar symptoms, or just with the HA...

Hope this helps.

nicelytoasted,

Katilsday

Thanks for replying,
I did insert extra screens in the bottom of the crucible and the bottom of the mouthpiece (that goes above the crucible), and it certainly has prevented some of the smaller particles from flying into the bag/whip.

The under-the-tounge idea is nice, I'ma try that soon. I've been experimenting with different amounts, but I havn't figured anything conclusive out. Admittedly I'm getting used to the different effect from vaping - as you guessed, this is my first vaporizer, and I'm really hoping that it works out well.

The temperature seems to be the most likely culprit.
I just heard back from Steven from greatvape.com, and he seems to think that I turned it up too high (started at 300, but went up to 390) and irritated my throat.

What is the highest you turn yours up to? Also, do you worry about leaving it to cool when you leave the house?

I really want to state that I think the HerbalAire is an excellent device, and Greatvape.com is an excellent site. I am amazing by how willing Steven was to talk to me about the problems I'm having.
Thanks for your reply.

Katilsday,

vap999

Katilsday:

It could be something as simple as irritation by compounds not present in high concentration with whatever inhalation method(s) you were using before. Something could be causing irritation that was simply covered up, not detectable or broken down before, particularly if you were inhaling a toxic brew from combustion.

Try making sure your herbal material is thoroughly dried using low heat and in the process of doing this is thoroughly aired out, so that the resulting herb loses detectable scent/odor. It would probably be best to very finely powder your material in the process. By driving off most of the non-active, lower molecular weight, more volatile/aromatic components (lower terpenes, phenolics, chlorophyll breakdown by-products, etc.), you are eliminating exposure to a number of these compounds that act as irritants. A drawback for some with this method is that much of the fresh taste and aroma are lost. But you are also slightly increasing the potency of your herb by driving off unneeded essential oils and water.

If you are filling plastic bags with hot or warm air, might you be sensitive to any vaporized plasticizer in the plastic? Even food grade plastics have plasticizers and other additives. Are any specifications provided for the bags?

Regarding a "hot" teflon mouthpiece being a hazard, yes vaporization of teflon can be a problem, when you get above 800-900?F. This can easily happen with teflon-coated cookware exposed to high heat (say over 1,000?F, such as from a gas flame or red-hot electric heating element) with no liquid (oil or water) to reduce/temper the temperature by its vaporization/boiling. Don't cook with teflon pans without fluid or something moist in them! At typical vaporizer temperatures in the 350-400?F range (and also oven temperatures), teflon is as safe as glass, ceramics or any other totally inert material. Teflon starts to soften and deform in the low 500?F range, such as by pressing on it with a sharp point. But even teflon at this or any other temperature it could conceivably be exposed to in vaporizers or baking is safe in terms of being multiple 100s?F below any vaporization concerns. The teflon mouthpiece that you call "hot" is at most say 130-150?F, so this is not any issue at all.

Otherwise, as already suggested cool the vapor by adding tubing or otherwise putting more distance and exposed surface between your mouth and the heat source.

vap999,

DeepFried

A Legend in my Own Mind
I have heard of this before on brand new vapes. Did you do a burn in first before using it?. Turn the sucker up to full power, attach the whip, bags etc. and let all the manufacturing oils/matter burn and blow off for like an hour. Then wash what you can really well and only then start heating your herbs and pulling into your body.

DeepFried,

nicelytoasted

Vaked Chemist
Katilsday said:
What is the highest you turn yours up to? Also, do you worry about leaving it to cool when you leave the house?
I usually max out around 180C or so. Start my vaping @ 160C and ramp up the temp ~ 5C after a few hits. But I would be considered a low temp vapist, and it's a personal preference. You can also save and collect your already vaped bud (AVB) and use it to cook as it still contains the higher boiling actives.

Since teflon is a poor conductor of heat, it will cool down quite quickly. I will carefully remove the crucible (it does get quite hot) after my vaping and it cools down in a few minutes. That way, no worries when you leave the house.

nicelytoasted,

WesWeed

I experienced exactly the same symptoms, but with a Chinese box vape I got off ebay.

From what I've seen on here, HA seems to be a respectable brand of vape, but I can't comment on it myself.

Some things that have helped me:

1. Water filtration. GonG adapter to a bong.

2. Drinking lots and lots (and lots) of water or tea while I vape.

3. Decongestants.

4. (And, the one that made the biggest difference) Buying a new vape.

I got a DBV, and I haven't experienced the dry cough I had with the shitty china vape. I haven't had any noticable congestion, and the taste is great, except when my idiot friends blow herbs onto the heater.

WesWeed,

Katilsday

Thanks for the replies everyone.
So I've been keeping the temperature below 370 and forcing myself to drink tons of water. I'm beginning to feel better. I also cleaned all the pieces and the taste has become remarkably cleaner.
I'm still a little congested and my throat is still kind of dry, but It is improving.
Once again, I think this is an excellently-made device.

Katilsday,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
I really like how sturdy the herbal aire is. I always have to worry about breaking my extreme and being all careful with it but my friend just throws his herbalaire down on the floor behind the couch and busts it out whenever. It's a very burly vape.

bluntfaced,

max

Out to lunch
Pretty sure you posted this at mj.com, since the thread title is the same. Not a good title, BTW, since it reads like the herbie is toxic or something. Since I've used the herbie for years, I highly doubt it's making you sick. I can tell no difference between using it and any other vape I've used.

DO NOT USE GROUND HERB IN THE HERBALAIRE IF YOU CAN HELP IT! It's not designed for ground. The main mouthpiece screen is coarse and not made to block fine particles. If there's one area where the herbie does an outstanding, unbeatable job, it's penetrating pieces or chunks of herb. There is no advantage at all to using ground herb instead of pieces. The few times when I've been forced to use ground in it, I've used a second screen in the crucible, on top of the herb. But only use ground herb if that's all you have, and do use the 2nd screen.

max,

stinkmeaner

max said:
Pretty sure you posted this at mj.com, since the thread title is the same. Not a good title, BTW, since it reads like the herbie is toxic or something. Since I've used the herbie for years, I highly doubt it's making you sick. I can tell no difference between using it and any other vape I've used.
I'm glad someone else was thinking this also, the Herbal Aire is great and if it wasn't you would have read stories like this years ago.

Maybe you are actually "getting sick", it is that season.

stinkmeaner,

Pseudonymous

Nameless
Yeah, really. Two people putting the same thing to eachothers mouths will tend to mix things from person to person, illness is not exempt.

Pseudonymous,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
vaping tends too make my allergies seem a bit worse than they are when they hit me. Making me feel like I am getting sick when I am not. Vaping will actually knock all my congestion loose so i feel extra phlegmy, when in fact it helps me get the stuff up and out.

DevoTheStrange,

bluntfaced

I'm El Diablo Baby!!!
This is happening to me right now with my extreme.

YOu figured any good ways to beat it?

bluntfaced,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
honestly, the only thing I can do is take allergy meds (which I dont) too combat the congestion. Otherwise I just let the vapor knock that stuff lose and bring it up when it feels ready too come out.
but one most always consider the possibility... that you are just sick and that vaping could potentially be making the symptoms a bit more pronounced.
Stop vaping for a small time period. See if the sickness goes away. if it doesn't, means your more than likely sick with something... cold.. flu maybe. Or just allergies.
now if it goes away when the vaping stops... then you need to start trouble shooting what vaping is doing too you.

DevoTheStrange,

Balkhan

I want to bump this thread to see if the op has resolved the problem.

I had the same problem recently (dry mouth, sore throat, congestion) after I vaped, and I wasn't sick. It went away after about 24 hrs (and I had no other symptoms of a cold, flu, etc.)

I think it was because of the herb I was vaping. I tried some other different types and did not get as severe a reaction. The herb was 7 months old and dry, so it could have been particulates or (I hope not!!!) contaminants.

Balkhan

Balkhan,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Balkhan said:
I want to bump this thread to see if the op has resolved the problem.

I had the same problem recently (dry mouth, sore throat, congestion) after I vaped, and I wasn't sick. It went away after about 24 hrs (and I had no other symptoms of a cold, flu, etc.)

I think it was because of the herb I was vaping. I tried some other different types and did not get as severe a reaction. The herb was 7 months old and dry, so it could have been particulates or (I hope not!!!) contaminants.

Balkhan
Some herb just vapes harsh if the temp is too high.... If you are experiencing harshness with your strain, try turning it down a notch or so.
not all strains behave the same at the same temps... sometimes one setting might be too high for a different strain.
I vape a lot of low quality herb using the Extreme Vaporizer. I tend too run the extreme a bit warmer with the lows than I do with the highs. This has several effects... Dries the mouth out. As well as the lips. Throat becomes irritated, and you body tries too compensate by making you produce extra phlegm. Also given that this time of year also makes for cold dry air here, makes things much worse.
Hydration is the key. Make sure you drink water while you are vaping.
Also filter your vapor though water, via a bong or something similar, too cool the vapor.
You could also try a little bit of warm water in the bottom of the bong too reintroduce moisture back into the vapor.
Remember Vapor that is too hot can dry out your throat leading too all kinds of irritation problems.

DevoTheStrange,

Balkhan

Yes, it is cold here and the air is very dry.

I vape at 350 - 380 F

Cany anyone recommend a water filter setup for a whip vape? I'm aware of the hose to GONG adapter for a bong, and the DIY hole in a soda bottle filled with ice...Is there anything else, like maybe an inline water filter for the whip hose (although I don't know how this would work...)?

Another idea: I've read elsewhere about breaking in a new vape by running at temp with the fan/pump running to clear out any contaminants. But I've not seen much info on this. Nothing in the vape instructions. Is this important and could this be the problem?

Thanks
Balkhan

Balkhan,

Happycamper

Sweet Dreams Babycakes
I have to say, i keep getting a repeated sore throat, back of tongue from my vaping. I am trying at the moment to take a drink of something cold everytime between hits, so far it's helped but i'm on a little break atm.

Could it be to do with mouldy herb? It can be quite hard to tell sometimes.

Happycamper,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Balkhan said:
Yes, it is cold here and the air is very dry.

I vape at 350 - 380 F

Cany anyone recommend a water filter setup for a whip vape? I'm aware of the hose to GONG adapter for a bong, and the DIY hole in a soda bottle filled with ice...Is there anything else, like maybe an inline water filter for the whip hose (although I don't know how this would work...)?

Another idea: I've read elsewhere about breaking in a new vape by running at temp with the fan/pump running to clear out any contaminants. But I've not seen much info on this. Nothing in the vape instructions. Is this important and could this be the problem?

Thanks
Balkhan
check out this thread http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=1884 I believe this is what you might be looking for.

DevoTheStrange,

Balkhan

Thanks to both.

Will the water remove real fine grain plant matter, particulates,?

Balkhan,
Top Bottom