Get it all out - Bash the Volcano thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volcano South

I see a lot of members here biting their tongues when the Volcano is discussed.

No one is going to hurt my feelings, so I want to know what is it everyone has against the Volcano. I'll try to start:

Pro: Best bag system for those who prefer bags
Pro: Best in a "party" situation as the bag can be passed, and in the case of the Easy Valve multiple bags can be filled
Pro: Independent, third-party research
Pro: Most commonly supported vaporizer by political action committees, such as NORML and MPP
Pro: Authentic warranty and excellent support staff

Con: Weight/Size
Con: Price
Con: Portability
Con: Metal heating element (some prefer ceramic, but research confirms this is non-toxic)
Con: Cleaning the solid valve (easy valve is absurdly easy)

Really though, let it all out, that way when I see a comment that's half an inside joke I'll know what everyone is talking about.

Volcano South,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
Can of worms for sure.

For me the big issue is the contingent of uninformed yet aggressive 'cano fanboys who go around telling everyone that the Volcano is the absolute pinnacle of vaporizers, nothing else can compare, and you just don't understand until you've owned one. And all that after having only ever used a 'cano. :rolleyes:

Pros and cons can be subjective, I think for the average joe (especially for a vapor newbie), it's just hard to justify spending $500+ when you can spend ~$299 and get bag AND whip capability. Much less still, if all you want is some good direct draw vapor. I kind of think bags are bags, though the 'cano is the only one with a built in valve system afaik. I'd like to see side by side tests of all the bag fillers. Got a feeling the 'cano would take top prize for speed/filling huge bags.

I do agree with you on the unprovoked 'cano bashing. Uncalled for and a bit immature for this forum. Sorry if I've been a part of it.

*hugs Volcano South* :D

vtac,

max

Out to lunch
For me it's price and lack of direct draw, which the competition has. I do not bash the 'cano. Aside from points that 'glass purists' may raise, I think it's top quality in design and construction. But like the Space Case grinder, I feel it's not worth the price if $ is a consideration. If I had money to burn, I'd be shopping for one right now (or using it now ;) ). But like other vapes (Herbo, Vaporfection, etc.), it's just not a 'gotta have', considering what I already have that suits me, at least for the time being.

I'm like vtac. There are too many 'Volcano only' owners who insist that nothing else can compare, when most of 'em haven't even used another vape, or they tried a direct draw and did a 'thumbs down' after a couple of pulls on the whip. It's a great vape, but it doesn't have any high tech or magical properties to set it far above the competition.

max,

Hennessy1414

Terrorist
when i see threads on other forums about buying a new vaporizer for the first time....the usual response i see is, "get the volcano or keep smoking" :disgust:

also another CON for the ol 'cano is the fact that the tubing on the inside can get stuck/crimped restricting air flow completely...i like vapes with minimal parts to break

VOLCANO=TAXED

:peace:

Hennessy1414,

Ven

Praying Mantis
The size and look of it, ANY other vape on the market I can place in my room and play it off as something discreet, the Cano looks like a god damn mini-oven.

Also the price, they must think pretty highly of the craftsmanship they offer to put a price tag that big on it.

Ven,

EitherOr

I will add something, to me at least this would is the Volcano's biggest negative... When you spend that much money on anything so material we feel this need to justify it. Spending that much of a premium you feel invested in such a purchase, it changes your view on things.
Most but not all Volcano owners fit into that mindset, they spent a lot of money on their vapes, and when it comes time to talk about it its very easy to become defensive about it, since they are attached to the purchase.

EitherOr,

SpiralArchitect

? & beyond
Who cares?

Those that own them are happy with them, those that don't are happy without them. Seems like everyone says the same things anyways.... :/

The Volcano is a good vape, I don't think anyone can argue that. Pricey, yeah sure, so is a SpaceCase, but you can't forget so and so's big screen TV, fast computer, motorcycle and fancy cellphone are also cost a pretty penny. *shrug*

(I'm actually a very frugal person in reality)

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
I have used the 'cano often over the course of years. There are many great aspects (pros) about the 'cano, as well as many cons (which I believe you are interested in VS :brow: ).

Anyhoo...

PROS:
As stated (it's supported by published research/warranty/available reports from long-time owners)
I didn't include 'best bag vape' because I feel the statement lacks substantial meaning. However, the 'cano does provide a consistent temperature, seem to last, preform efficiently, allow one to create dense clouds, is fairly easy to use, etc.)
Other than that, the 'cano comes from a company that is likely to be around for a long time (and will always remain one of the brave pioneer companies that fought to pave the way for continued technological developments :tup: )
CONS:
As stated (price, size/portability, aluminum/teflon, parts can be hard to clean)
In addition to the cons listed, I feel that it is unfair that the owner of a unit can not even open their unit at their own risk without damaging it (studies are nice, but look-inside-and-see-for-yourself is even better--plus the owner could open it to clean dust, etc.). Also, the unit is basically a 'one trick pony' leaving many quickly feeling bored (to me, it is a shame that S&B has not focused a great deal on keeping track of consumer usage trends and ensuring that the 'cano remain compatible with all of the newest vaporizer/smoking accessories). It also seems odd that a company that dominates the market with a product that has likely generated a great deal of revenue has not contributed to any technological developments through R&D (the only changes are the asthetic digital vs. analog change and the option of a dome to use as a glass bag of sorts).

Overall, the 'cano fills bags well. However, there are cheaper units that compete (vapirmatic/herbal-air/etc.) and mostly glass multi-task units like the Extreme (also much less than the 'cano), etc. etc. etc.

VS, there is no doubt that the 'cano works (and than many feel it is 'the best'), but I can not think of a reason that I would recommend it to some one instead of something like the Extreme (unless they just didn't like the glass...). Can you :shrug: ?

PS: A related note -- I tend to attach emotions and experiences to items I own and, therefore, tend to get more enjoyment out of products that from companies that symbolize 'progress' and those that remind me of positive experiences with the companies/designer/C.S. (Everett,?, Tom?, Mark?...) as well as positive experiences with the unit itself, of course ;) .

Progress,

EitherOr

I agree kind sir. I don't have any problems with canos, they do the trick just fine.
I was once a wayward Volcano-ite myself, as you can see I have returned to society and have rehabilitated from my previous life of skull-duggery and Volcano worship.

SpiralArchitect said:
Who cares?

Those that own them are happy with them, those that don't are happy without them. Seems like everyone says the same things anyways.... :/

The Volcano is a good vape, I don't think anyone can argue that. Pricey, yeah sure, so is a SpaceCase, but you can't forget so and so's big screen TV, fast computer, motorcycle and fancy cellphone are also cost a pretty penny. *shrug*

(I'm actually a very frugal person in reality)

EitherOr,

max

Out to lunch
the tubing on the inside can get stuck/crimped restricting air flow completely
To be fair, that was an issue with a particular production run (couple of years ago?) and has been corrected. And it didn't completely stop airflow.

ANY other vape on the market I can place in my room and play it off as something discreet
Any other vape? I think that's going a little far. Vapes like the Verdamper and Herborizer look like bongs more than anything, and the Aromed looks like high tech lab equipment. Even the SSV with aroma top installed draws some strange looks after the 'essential oil diffuser' is explained. I'd probably try to pass the 'cano off as a humidifier that was 'temporarily out of order'. :lol:

they must think pretty highly of the craftsmanship they offer to put a price tag that big on it.
Keep in mind that when the 'cano was introduced there wasn't much competition other than box vapes with old style heater elements that crapped out on a regular basis. In general, it was far more advanced and reliable than other mass produced vapes. It looks so overpriced today because a lot of the competition has stepped up with reliable good performers at much lower prices. And it can be argued that the high end, $500+ digital whip units are just as overpriced. I don't know when/if we'll see a solid digital whip vape come out for $300 or less to show them up though. That seems to be a tough design to make on the cheap.

max,

Volcano South

Some great discussion in this thread. I'm glad to get all of this cleared up.

Seems people don't like it for personal preference (glass/ceramic preference or whip preference) and for price. I didn't know if there was something I was missing.

+1 to Max for clarifying the issue with one specific run of Volcanos, Re: Air pump restriction. Very good show of being unbias, or at least fair :)

I'd really love to TRY a whip vape. I suppose if anyone has a spare one and is willing to loan it for collateral I'd love to try one out for a week or so.

Volcano South,

vtac

vapor junkie
Staff member
+1 to Max for clarifying the issue with one specific run of Volcanos, Re: Air pump restriction. Very good show of being unbias, or at least fair
That's what this forum is all about. Accurate and unbiased information. :tup:

If, after diligent research, including hands on testing of multiple vapes, one confirms that the Volcano is what they want- that's great! But when eager newbies are led to believe that they only have one, $500 (I only mention the price because it is a lot of cash for most people) choice for quality vapor, that's a real shame, and detrimental to our 'cause'. The majority probably say "fuck that, I'll stick with smoking" or, spend the 5 bills and continue the cycle of misinformation. The Volcano is an excellent vaporizer from a very reputable company, no doubt there- it's unfortunate it had to end up the catalyst for so much misinformation.

I'm glad you've stuck around through all the cheap shots, VS. And believe me I don't think you're a Volcano fanboy. :)

vtac,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Price.

That's it for me. I actually like the Volcano and would love to have one, but the price is never gonna happen for me. I've said before that my perfect, non-portable collection would be a PD, SSV and a Volcano.

stickstones,

Volcano South

I really think I'll be adding a PD or SSV soon myself.

I like how the PD can be used for just smell good oils and not just exclusively as an herb vaporizer.

Volcano South,

Beezleb

Volcano South said:
I really think I'll be adding a PD or SSV soon myself.

I like how the PD can be used for just smell good oils and not just exclusively as an herb vaporizer.
Same with the SSV

Beezleb,

Ben

bonjour everyone

I'll give you my personal impression on the volcano.
Note that I own a purple-days, a vaporgenie, an I-Inhale and even a Vapir Oxygen :o :D in addition to the volcano! ;)

As some of you know, the volcano is probably the most popular vaporizer in Europe and it is certainly the case in France and Germany.
The factors to explain this are many and I think it would be difficult for me to list them all here.

It is the first vaporizer I bought after I got interested in the issue of vapin' and read threads on various French forums devoted to this issue (in fact it was more weed smoking forums with a vaporizer section rather than vapin' forums).

And of course, I learned there what the official marketing tends to impose on us in Europe or France, : there is no valid vaporizer but the volcano.
I should also mention that all the scientific literature that I have read on vapin' before adopting it for myself was always referring to the volcano as a means to vaporize.

So I did what was most predictable: I bought one! ( I had the opportunity to get a 30% discount on the price of the new product; I will not tell you how ... it's a bit special :ninja: ). I must also say that the price seemed to me, even with the rebate, expensive and high but do not forget that I had no basis for vaporizer and price comparisons. Anyway, I was ready to pay such a price to get rid of my smoking addiction. And I did.

I had vapin' time during a few weeks with my volcano only and was quite happy with that.

In fact, the pros and cons listed VS are exactly the same as what I would mention myself.

I have read here and there on the various threads that some people in Europe had made choices similar to mine: first, a volcano and then another (or others) vaporizer(s).

I use my PD for everyday use at home, I put aside my ABV weed throughout the day after emptying the stems of the PD and I grind it more finely in order to re-use it for a volcano "bag of the end of the day" of thick and potent vapor.

This will not necessarily be the case for someone else but this combo fits me perfectly :cool:

:peace:

Ben,

Progress

'Socratic Existentialist, MD'
VS - I really think I'll be adding a PD or SSV soon myself.
I don't have enough time to explain ALL of my reasoning, but in a nut-shell.

1) Definitely PD if you want efficiency/durability/always-on-access/total session-size control/etc.

2) As far as a whip vape (even though you already own a 'cano) I would suggest the Extreme ($279 as long as Arizer will still price match). I like that you can use the fan with the whip (to assist a really long whip/drag in a water filter/feed you when too lazy to draw/etc. I also like the set up (the air flows up through the herbs allowing you to stir them with your breath, etc.). The set-up also provides IMO the best water-free small particle filtration system (everything that makes it past the elbow seems to be translucent/full-melt. Plus you can open the E (at your own risk) to see/clean/repair anything on the inside (if you need/wish to--I hate sending stuff in for repair and secret technology :rolleyes: )

They also offer the V-tower without a fan for less (IMO once you do a bag side-by-side your 'cano may serve an extra purpose for you...income :brow: ).

3) I am not sure what you make of the VHW (your style/woud you need to buy a bong too/etc.) but it seems that it would definitely compliment a 'cano (being that it is totally different--IMO)

VS - I like how the PD can be used for just smell good oils and not just exclusively as an herb vaporizer.
FYI - many vapes act as scented oil diffusers (including the Surfer and the Extreme)

Progress,

Frickr

ill chime in here a bit as a newcomer:D

my thoughts on the volcano is that at first it looks a little confusing (with the solid valve mind you) where other vapes on the market are pretty straight forward. load the bowl heat it up, and go. after sort of studying it for a while i figured out how it worked. im sure it would have been easier to find out how easy or complicated it could be if i were to have access to one.

the main drawback for me looking for a vape to update from a vapir one that i have modified to fit my needs, is i cant take it apart and look at it, i cant really do any modifications to it, without harming it. all in all i know its a solid product, and has paved the way for many vap companies. Being a bag only, kind of limits the market. so much today, people want a combination. this is fine, but a bag only, or whip only is usually going to excell over a multitask unit trying to do either.

i know im writing a book here but bare with me. anyways, i think for its function, it does the job well. but as mentioned above, the 500 dollar pricetag just is a little much. personally i would like to see like a babyvolvano. maybe a smalller unit, so that traveling, and putting away is easier. i dont think it deserves the pedistle it sits on, and is an equal among other vapes out right now.

with as strong of a product as this is, i can see why the compnay has chose not to modify it to much. if it isnt broke dont fix it if you must. and if people are willing to pay the 500 dollar pricetag, then why lower the price? isnt anything only worth what people think its worth? plus the name volcano is usually the first thing to come to mind when someone says vaporizers.

i guess its sort of like a car, the expensive one may be more prestigious, but the cheap one still gets you from point a to point b. the cano doesnt fit many of the needs, or wants that i want out of a vape, so thats why i dont have one sitting on my desk with me right now. but if it does fit someones lifestyle, then i dont think we should be so quick to tell them that another vape is better for them. we could suggest vapes that are compairable, and i think we sort of scare people away from the cano on this webpage. im not saying we should push sales for it either, all i mean is be more informitive about it, instead of so quick to judge, which i think that was the intent of this thread.

end rant. sorry if i sound a little long winded, im pretty vaked:lol:

Frickr,

Ben

Clear_Dome said:
Dear User:

Unfortunately, access to this particular item has been blocked due to legal restrictions in some countries. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to prevent restricted items from being displayed. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of said restrictions because of limitations of existing technology. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause, and we hope you may find other items of interest on eBay.

Thank You.

:rolleyes:
Mecontent08.gif

Ben,

Ben

Damn'it ... 16$ was such an appealing price that I've ordered it immediately ! :o

[MODE Joke OFF] ;)

Ben,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom