Garlic recipes??

MinnBobber

Any ideas for a good recipe to "showcase" some hopefully great homegrown garlic??

I usually use in spaghetti sauce or omelette etc.
Any ideas for something where the garlic is really a stand alone flavor?

Garlic butter bread that's baked or ???

thanks

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Lol, in my wife's country (Latvia), they don't eat buffalo wings with beer. Instead when drinking beer late at night at a restaurant, they eat toasted black rye bread with a clove of fresh garlic literally rubbed/ground into the toasted bread, and topped off sometimes with a bit of butter (they usually cut the toast into 4 slices because the garlic is so potent lol).

That with beer is pretty damn good if you ask me. But it's gotta be very dark rye bread (we usually use Russian or Latvian "black bread" for it)

Vapenvy

Indie vaper
You can just bake a whole bulb in with potatoes and/or other veggies when you do a roast. The individual cloves go kinda soft and gooey (depending on length of baking). Yummy.

Still has the garlic flavour but without the sharpness, so may not be the best for showing off a distinct taste? Not sure. But it makes garlic cloves easy to chomp down in 1 bite.

Diggy Smalls

Notorious
I got some black garlic and let me tell you what it was worth every penny of extra money. Made some burgers and mixed the black garlic, it's soft, with mayo and spread it on there with lettuce and tomato with caramelized onions.
However, it's good raw with cheese and crackers! Yummy

Diggy Smalls,
Reactions: Squiby

CarolKing

Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur
Garlic is really healthy for. us.
I cook garlic with some steamed vegetables. I just slice up a the garlic glove. I use it with asparagus, zucchini and little yellow squash and mushrooms. Add it to homemade soups. I have a recipe for fortellini soup that's really good.

Tortellini Soup
Start with 8 cups beef broth or more depending on how many servings you want to make. Add 1 smalldiced onion and 2 or 3 cans of diced tomatoes- simmer for 30 - 45 min. This is your soup base.

Add a pound of browned lean ground beef and sliced garlic along with some sliced and diced yellow and red peppers. If you like lots of onions add more if you want to because the other onions have cooked down into the soup base. Green peppers too if you like them. I don't add green peppers to my soup.

Cook ingredients together. Sprinkle some fresh Italian seasonings such as oregano, basil and thyme. Add your tortellini at the end.
Cook until the tortellini is tender. Use any type of cheese tortellini and add freshly ground Parmesan cheese on top of each bowl.
Serve with a nice chewy bread.

Edit
You can also add sliced small zucchini to your soup. Just add the last 5 or 6 min. If you add small red or black beans it turns into more of a minestrone. You could change the tortellini noodles into minestrone noodles as well. There are so many variations to this recipe. The beef soup base can be turned into a taco soup with different ingredients, spices and chips sprinkled on top as well as grated cheese.

Last edited:
CarolKing,
Reactions: Squiby

crawdad

floatin
quite the perfect kick with some pesto...on a pizza...in a pasta bowl...on a spoon....yum.

also, i eat it raw and crushed from a press when i start feeling slightly sick (flu/cold/infection signs) 2-3 times a day and within a day or two im fine. been doing that for almost 10 years with success, wont work if you heat it since it makes the allicin (the ingredient created when you crush/combine the components in the clove) ineffective. link to study garlic pills are not effective for me, probably not fresh enough. another linky

Top Bottom