***Gamers*** What are you playing?

mlo4sho

Can't wait for Dragon Age 2. Played the demo and instantly fell in love. That game is going to rock!

mlo4sho,

Jivex5k

LOL
I am downloading the PC demo now and just came to this thread to check for mention of it.
I just started playing Dragon Age on the PC and I gotta say it's pretty tight.
I love using the tactical view for combat Baldur's Gate style. Very tactical spell/talent selection.
It's fun to control a party of 4 and position them based on your own strategy.
It feel great when your victorious using your own style. =)
I highly recommend any RPG fans check it.
You can download the PC demo for DA2 here: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/
I hope my comp can still run it and I hope combat still allows tactical view.

Jivex5k,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
Just picked up the DLC for Dead Space 2.... so far its an awesome add on, much darker visually than the actual game, which helps ramp up the tension a bit more. Hopefully it wont be to short of a game.

DevoTheStrange,

caseball2051

Im playing killzone 3 right now. Its pretty awesome. I probably wont touch another game for a while.

Ive been wanting to get into an RPG lately for some reason. I think im gonna wait a month or two and buy dragon age origins. Im hoping once the second one comes out that the ultimate edition for ps3 will drop dramatically in price.

has anyone played demons souls on the ps3?

if you havent heard theyre coming out with a spiritual successor called dark souls. itll be available for all you xbxo guys too.

caseball2051,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Jivex5k said:
LOL
I am downloading the PC demo now and just came to this thread to check for mention of it.
I just started playing Dragon Age on the PC and I gotta say it's pretty tight.
I love using the tactical view for combat Baldur's Gate style. Very tactical spell/talent selection.
It's fun to control a party of 4 and position them based on your own strategy.
It feel great when your victorious using your own style. =)
I highly recommend any RPG fans check it.
You can download the PC demo for DA2 here: http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/demo/
I hope my comp can still run it and I hope combat still allows tactical view.

Yes, those where some of my favorite things about DA.... :( and seem to be the exact things that Bioware removed from DA2. The demo felt like it was all slashing, no tactics. Sure, i'm still going to play the full game... just like i played ME2, but i'm going to hate the changes the whole game, just like ME2. Why the hell does Bioware feel that they need to keep dumbing down their games?! :mad:

steiner666,

Jivex5k

Steiner I couldn't agree more. I tried going into the tactical view and it wouldn't let me in the DA2 demo for PC...
Quote from Bioware Interview:
GS: So Peter Molyneux got up on stage at GDC last year and said, "Our mandate for Fable III is to sell five million copies this time, and that's why we are making specific streamlining decisions." Have you had any mandate? "We want a bump. We want to reach out to more people. We want more people to like Dragon Age II than Dragon Age Origins."

ML: Huh! Okay. So I think that's a goal, but when you say "mandate," it becomes a much harsher thing. Mandate is a "you must," and the decisions will be made due to focus groups or something.

For me, I guess, fundamentally, there are more people who are ready to play RPGs than realize it. These are people who will play FarmVille. These are people who have shot enough people in the head that they've leveled up in Medal of Honor. They've gained XP and have received awards as a result. That's an RPG mechanic. They've played [Grand Theft Auto] San Andreas and they've run enough, and gotten buff enough, that their endurance is a higher. They've leveled.

So I think there's more people out there with RPGs, and then it's honestly on RPGs to try to figure out how to take the mechanics that people are actually loving in other genres and say, "No, no, no. We had those years ago, but we understand that they kind of were scary."

So there was no mandate, but I mean there were decisions that we made as a team that said, "Okay, this is, I think, more welcoming." Not "dumbed down" or anything like that, but welcoming. Like starting the game, your character walks up, says something kind of over the top, and immediately starts exploding Darkspawn. I haven't set my decks at all. I haven't spent points.

What it does, is it lets you get into the game and go, "Okay, cool. This is what their combat is like. I get that." Then the next thing you do is build your character.

Then you level up and you start spending points, and the RPG mechanics are introduced in a way that's gradual, in a way that welcomes someone who would otherwise maybe go, "Whoa! Too complex!" and shut it off immediately, and lets them slide into it without even recognizing it ?? which frankly, ideally increases the overall RPG customer base, which means we can make more RPGs, which means I can play more RPGs that I don't know the ending to. I like that.

You can read the whole interview here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6297/the_rise_of_dragon_age_ii.php

Interesting read...page 4 sums up the dumbing down idea. Basically they want to sell 5 million copies so they had to make it more appealing and easy, more action oriented.
I just discovered the first DA:o about 2 weeks ago so I have a lot of time left with it thankfully. I really enjoy how long it takes to do everything, and it's a dying breed.
The Baldurs Gate style combat is so much fun to me, I can pause the game and tactically position and use my party members, take a nice vape rip and see if my idea is working out.
It's a shame for sure...but keep faith. Skyrim is coming out soon. No party control but should be a good game regardless.

Jivex5k,

TerrorTurkey

i beat Assassins creed: brotherhood in about a week, but my xbox 360 died right after i finished it :( pretty good game, but it goes really quick

TerrorTurkey,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
My backlog is getting ridiculous.
Playing Fight Night Champion right now.
Also want to get back into Vanquish, AC: Brotherhood, and Castlevania (the newer one). Oh, and I still haven't gotten back to FFXIII... Star Ocean International... Killzone 3.
Plus I have games on my PC and my PSP that I need to play... Yeah, I'm a nerd.
Flashpoint Dragon Rising... Darksiders...
I haven't played Battlefield Vietnam in a while (but it was so cheap when STEAM had it on sale)... plus I got a new Razer mouse I need to try gaming with...

Oh, and Amnesia and Dead Space 2... I need to get back into those... but I end up getting ripped to shit when I play games and those 2 games end up freaking me out, which is fun, but also a bit too intense sometimes ha.

I go into phases... like I'll be all about video games for a week, then take a break for a month.

wake n blake,

wake n blake

A Weed Nerd
Oh yeah, and the previous posts have reminded me that I still have all those Dragon Age expansions I never got into... spend 80hrs beating the whole campaign, and those extra quests and DLCs you always thought about going back to just seem distant and less important ha.

wake n blake,

steiner666

Serial vapist
wake n blake said:
Oh yeah, and the previous posts have reminded me that I still have all those Dragon Age expansions I never got into... spend 80hrs beating the whole campaign, and those extra quests and DLCs you always thought about going back to just seem distant and less important ha.

lol yeah i know i did it that way too. By the end of the main story my warrior was so awesome that he was pretty much unstoppable. In fact, in the final parts of the game i stopped controlling the other party members and just used him cause i knew even if they did something stupid and died that i would survive with my warrior lol. There are those insane warrior skills like Massacre that kill or almost kill all nearby foes, and the one attack thats a guarantee kill on a normal enemy or critical on a boss. shield skills that make you invulnerable for a length of time, passive shield skill that makes me always immune to flanking dmg. plus all my activated modes that boosted my stats and stuff, that sword that i had that had built in elemental dmg plus 3-4 grandmaster runes lol. God, what an awesome game.

yeah then i went back and tried doing the DLC and it was just too easy.

I really wish Bioware would have just made the noobed down features of DA2 optional, with the option to play more like DA1 still there.

steiner666,

Jivex5k

Yeah it really seems like DA1 is gonna be a long one...I've been playing for what seems like a while and I checked my progress....only 9%. You'd better believe I'm hitting up all the side quests so I've got a lot more time with this classic feeling rpg.
I gotta say on the 360 DA1 feels a lot clunkier is and way less fun.
I originally intended to play it on my xbox but after reading some reviews and comments about the pc version being somewhat better...I was blown away when I switched. The mouse is an invaluable tool in tactical view and everything feels...well just better.
I think with DA2 the opposite will be true...only time will tell.

Oh and Fight Night Champion is an awesome new game for the eggsbox.

Battlefield 3 coming out in Fall.

Jivex5k,

steiner666

Serial vapist
Well, just got DA2. Whether its as good as the first, I still have my doubts. But i do know that I'll be disappearing for the next 50+ hours :D Bioware + RPG always = win to some degree, im sure this will be no different, even if they dumbed it down. I'll just have to get dumber to play it, then i wont notice :lol:

steiner666,

MG23

Relaxin'
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (would be surprised if anyone has played a Tactics Ogre game) just got remade for PSP, have been playing that and Valkyria Chronicles for PS3 a lot lately.

MG23,

SmokingElectricity

MattyGTwenty3 said:
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (would be surprised if anyone has played a Tactics Ogre game) just got remade for PSP, have been playing that and Valkyria Chronicles for PS3 a lot lately.

i'm gonna have to pick this up. i have the ps1 version. speaking of srpg's and psp...

just copped phantom brave for psp. great srpg that came out for ps2 that they ported to psp with a bunch of added content.

SmokingElectricity,
Tactics Ogre and Ogre Tactics were great games. FF tactics is one of my favorite games of all time, as long as you don't allow yourself to use the calculator class.

Anyone completely tired of meaningless, small, linear, 16-player-count graphic-intensive first person shooters? These guys seemed to be too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1gTj9nlYo4

Gaming is going backwards, much like cinema, and it's sad.

charliedontsurf,

Carbon

Been playing a lot of New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii. Trying to pick up all the star coins w/o looking up where they are has been pretty easy until the last couple worlds.

Carbon,
Reactions: Left

gettin lifted

psychonaut
if anyone wants to team up in either cod4, mw2, black ops let me know. im a call of duty freak and they are my go to games on my xbox.

Gamertag: Daniel Dro

gettin lifted,

stuartambient

if anyone is into the mario brothers or mario kart , then there are two modifications out there that are a trip -
one is called Mario Kart Black
and the other is Kustom Kart

when that warning screen appears regarding the wrist band , it shows Mario stoned and it says Wiid...haha
Toad's name is Toke in Kart Black. It's pretty funny and the Kustom Kart has some interesting courses , some really long extra effort requiring jumps and such. Very trippy in parts.

stuartambient,

Qbit

cannabanana
gettin lifted said:
if anyone wants to team up in either cod4, mw2, black ops let me know. im a call of duty freak and they are my go to games on my xbox.

All was good till I read 'Xbox'. Sorry, I love COD but only on PC. FPS's and consoles don't mix - how the hell can you aim properly without a mouse?

Qbit,

Carbon

Qbit said:
gettin lifted said:

All was good till I read 'Xbox'. Sorry, I love COD but only on PC. FPS's and consoles don't mix - how the hell can you aim properly without a mouse?
I used to be quite good at CoD on PS3 and could aim more than properly. I think a mouse is always going to be superior for speed and accuracy, but you'd be surprised how good one can get with a thumb stick.

Carbon,
Top Bottom