• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Future "not vaping"

Tranquility

The tobacco industry (Phillip Morris) is developing a new product that isn't "vaping", but a "heat-not-burn technology" that takes "HeatSticks" of tobacco and heats them with the iQOS technology.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-1-2-billion-boost-from-cigarette-alternative

While I don't like them trying to make up the fact heating tobacco rather than combusting it is something new, I do like they are going to drop $1.5 billion on the risk-reduction technology. There's gotta be a good, small, inexpensive and efficient heater at the end of that yellow brick road. I'm sure the vape technologists on the cannabis side of the equation will get some new tech to play with before too long.

One worrisome issue has to do with the theory of HeatSticks. It seems the industry wants to pre-pack the tubes with tobacco and set up the iQOS to deal with more of a constant rather than a variable. (The material being heated.) I would hate if that flows to the cannabis side. I suspect it will result in a similar debate as to what we currently have in regards to cartridges compared to some rig to vape the oil.

I personally like the fact I can experience and choose the flower I will vape later. I would hate to have some marketed cartridge that has a mixture of different trims forced on my by future big cannabis. (One of the complaints against the CA proposition to "legalize".) I say forced, as, I bet the eventual iQOS devices will work pretty well. (Cheap, easy, good) may win out over (expensive, hard, great).

Baron23

Sounds like vaping to me....just not ejuice vaping but the same as dry herb vaping as we generally know it but with prepacked herb (tobacco in this case).

I agree and dread by corporate America's impact on cannabis once they get in the game. My only hope is that since its so relatively easy to produce, that much like small vineyard, there will continue to be plenty of non-corporate sources.

The new device uses real tobacco refills, but instead of burning it to produce hazardous smoke and tar, it heats it to produce tobacco-flavored vapor.

The miniature cigarettes, called “HeatSticks”, are inserted into the IQOS heating device, leaving out the filter, which even has the Marlboro name written on it. Tobacco cigarettes burn at around 800 degrees Celsius, but the IQOS only heats the tobacco to 350 degrees, delivering a mouthful of tobacco-flavored vapor, but no smoke and tar. From what I’ve read, the tobacco is soaked in propylene glycol which helps produce the vapor.​

ZC

Sounds like fancy marketting to me. Just an attempt by marboro and other big tobacco companies to grab back the marketshare they lost to ecig's and ejuice.

I think they're just calling it not "vaping" because it doesn't use juice, which is a (perhaps purposefully) misunderstanding of what constitutes vaping.

But I do think it makes sense to market dry herb vapes to cigarette users. May seem more intuitive to them than juice.

But yeah, it allows marboro to continue making cigarettes like they pretty much always have and still make money from the ecig market.

syrupy

Authorized Buyer
Not for me, but kudos to Big Tobacco for at least seeing the post-combustion future. Some time ago I ran across an RJReynolds study on vaporization that was detailed and interesting.

syrupy,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

nosmoking

Just so Dab HAppy!
I think they're just calling it not "vaping" because it doesn't use juice, which is a (perhaps purposefully) misunderstanding of what constitutes vaping.
I had the hardest time over the past weekend trying to explain someone that my Milaana vaporizer would vape his 25% med grade Chemdawg from a CO dispensary. He was stuck on the idea that vaping is only for liquids/oils. Guy was stuck on stupid until I pulled it out and showed him how it works. Perhaps this is a common concept for many that know nothing about vaping.

I think it is kinda smart of Philip Morris to avoid being associated with vaping by marketing the way they did. It also sounds like this could be healthier if there is no actual combustion so I am all for that. Just not for big business, especially tobacco industry.

VapourHaze

Rexcornish on IG, Vaping since '02
Interesting concept .. surely get some cool tech out of this to apply to the herbal market.

VapourHaze,

clouded vision

I don't see how this is much different from a tvape except it seems like it wastes half a cigarette and possibly better battery life although I'm always skeptical of manufacturer advertised battery life

darbarikanada

they don't want any connection to weed, so they don't want to call it vaping (even though it looks like that's exactly what it is; and selling new products famously uses the concept of 'NEW!' (when in fact it's probably nothing of the sort). I find this pretty entertaining actually: big tobacco borrowing from cannabis culture while trying to make it look otherwise. how is what they're describing any different from putting tobacco in a vaporizer?

herbivore21

Sounds like vaping to me....just not ejuice vaping but the same as dry herb vaping as we generally know it but with prepacked herb (tobacco in this case).

I agree and dread by corporate America's impact on cannabis once they get in the game. My only hope is that since its so relatively easy to produce, that much like small vineyard, there will continue to be plenty of non-corporate sources.

The new device uses real tobacco refills, but instead of burning it to produce hazardous smoke and tar, it heats it to produce tobacco-flavored vapor.

The miniature cigarettes, called “HeatSticks”, are inserted into the IQOS heating device, leaving out the filter, which even has the Marlboro name written on it. Tobacco cigarettes burn at around 800 degrees Celsius, but the IQOS only heats the tobacco to 350 degrees, delivering a mouthful of tobacco-flavored vapor, but no smoke and tar. From what I’ve read, the tobacco is soaked in propylene glycol which helps produce the vapor.​
A good explanation, thanks man!

Damn, so they prevent some of the carcinogens and then soak the tobacco in a precursor to a carcinogen (Propylene Glycol is known to produce Propylene oxide when heated - a probable carcinogen) just for the sake of cloud chasers!? Well I guess these guys have been in the cancer game for too long to give up now! :lol:

blackstone

I did think of vaping cig tobacco at the start, but didn't bother. And Iolite say on their site that you can only use pipe tobacco not cig, so maybe the sticks are related to the pipe tobacco.
It sounds better than smoking, but that wouldn't be hard!

(Propylene Glycol is known to produce Propylene oxide when heated - a probable carcinogen)
ah jeez, I have just started playing around with CBD ejuice plus a nicotine free ejuice for social times and had other projects in mind, at least I know there are better alternatives available.

But if my mother and/or sister ever does have an epiphany and decide to kick the cigarettes, I hope there is some way I can point her now.
Maybe there are natural ejuices or VG only?
Well, maybe these electronic Marleys will be out by then...! and there'll be a PG free version hopefully

herbivore21

I did think of vaping cig tobacco at the start, but didn't bother. And Iolite say on their site that you can only use pipe tobacco not cig, so maybe the sticks are related to the pipe tobacco.
It sounds better than smoking, but that wouldn't be hard!

ah jeez, I have just started playing around with CBD ejuice plus a nicotine free ejuice for social times and had other projects in mind, at least I know there are better alternatives available.

But if my mother and/or sister ever does have an epiphany and decide to kick the cigarettes, I hope there is some way I can point her now.
Maybe there are natural ejuices or VG only?
Well, maybe these electronic Marleys will be out by then...! and there'll be a PG free version hopefully
VG gives you another probable carcinogen unfortunately - Glycidol. I advise staying away from all ejuices.

blackstone

Eek.
I was going to joke about mixing Holy terp Pure with nicotine for my mother but it almost looks that way now!
Although looking now at the listing for Pure, it could be just a VG blend.
Interesting, and nearly 2 years combustion free, I only started doing this as an afterthought for safe fun or to remove any weekend threat of wanting to combust. With a view to adding reclaim as desired.
My E-cig friends and shop assistants were already baffled that I wanted no-nicotine, they'd have some fun with me in my country if I requested a nicotine, PG and VG free juice!
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll get KISS carts or similar for the reclaim now.:tup:

blackstone

I kind of want a iqos now , whats stopping us from emptying one of there cigarettes and stuffing in flowers ?
Good idea, it might taste like the olden days! Or possibly a little glass stem.
The only thing is the single temp 350F or 176C and would it do the job, it might. Or maybe it could be tweaked!
I read in another thread last night, that if tobacco is vaped any higher it would extract too much nicotine etc!
This is probably the same reason why the single temp. Iolite people recommend pipe tobacco only, their units probably run too hot for other forms.

herbivore21

Good idea, it might taste like the olden days! Or possibly a little glass stem.
The only thing is the single temp 350F or 176C and would it do the job, it might. Or maybe it could be tweaked!
I read in another thread last night, that if tobacco is vaped any higher it would extract too much nicotine etc!
This is probably the same reason why the single temp. Iolite people recommend pipe tobacco only, their units probably run too hot for other forms.
Wouldn't do it man. 350f is not gonna be producing any significant clouds from dry herb and the unit is made out of a lot of plastics/polymers that are not necessarily gonna be good if you tweak the unit to try make it run hotter on an ongoing basis.

Sure, the unit has a cleaning cycle but this does not mean that the heater is designed to operate at high temps during normal use as well!

blackstone

Wouldn't do it man. 350f is not gonna be producing any significant clouds from dry herb and the unit is made out of a lot of plastics/polymers that are not necessarily gonna be good if you tweak the unit to try make it run hotter on an ongoing basis.

Sure, the unit has a cleaning cycle but this does not mean that the heater is designed to operate at high temps during normal use as well!

It would be just like me to try and pulse the cleaning cycle Ha!
Yeah I did think it mightn't like the heat, and anything that modern and small is probably not going to have old trim pots inside!

I do hope this thing gets taken on board by all the giants, and my still-smoking family members might last a bit longer.
I was just thinking today how it's kinda admirable and cool that OCB tried a flirt with vapes, and how I'm surprised that Rizla and others have not jumped right in there.
*Cue somebody posting, "Have you not seen the RizlaPuff 2000?!!"*

zRG

The only thing is the single temp 350F or 176C and would it do the job, it might.

I think that you mistaken. It runs at 350C, not 350F. A representant of Philip Morris told me that ans if you Google "Philip Morris iQOS Temperature 350" you can verify it.

I have a friend who has one and I would really like to try it with dry herb but I am having a bad time trying to convince him letting me put herbs inside of his machine. If someone has already tried, give some feedback please.

@Baron23 that tobacco soaked with PG information is just something you read, not a confirmed information , right?

herbivore21

I think that you mistaken. It runs at 350C, not 350F. A representant of Philip Morris told me that ans if you Google "Philip Morris iQOS Temperature 350" you can verify it.

I have a friend who has one and I would really like to try it with dry herb but I am having a bad time trying to convince him letting me put herbs inside of his machine. If someone has already tried, give some feedback please.

@Baron23 that tobacco soaked with PG information is just something you read, not a confirmed information , right?
I would doubt the PG soaking of tobacco is even necessary at 350c. There should be plenty of clouds. That's an e-nail temp, not a herb vaping temp.

Good luck convincing your friend man, don't be surprised if they don't wanna combust something illegal in their new legal toy though!

herbivore21,
Top Bottom