Frustration trying to kick combustion

Soul

Hey all - been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.

My gorgeous wife recently came home with a very nice surprise for me: a brand new Iolite vaporizer. I'd never tried a vaporizer before, but I have always heard good things and I was pretty excited to get my hands on it.

However, unfortunately it's been nothing but frustration since then. It's kind of embarrassing, but I think I'm just doing something fundamentally wrong here. I've packed up six or seven bowls so far and it's just not...right.

Again, I've never used a vaporizer at all, so I know that the high here is going to be different. I don't think that's it, though. The first hit or two tastes lovely, and after that there's no taste whatsoever until 20-30 minutes later when it starts tasting a little singed. I, meanwhile, feel almost nothing whatsoever. I've also not yet been able to produce even a wisp of visible vapor (I got very excited once because I thought I had it, but it was just my breath frosting up in the cold weather).

I've read the 126 page long Iolite thread; tried letting it warm up in different ways (10 minute warmup, 45 second warmup, several in between); tried filling it differently (loosely packed, tightly packed, 1/3 full, 1/2 full, all the way full, always ground as finely as I can); tried letting it warm up while full for a few cycles; tried waiting no time, one cycle, two cycles between hits; tried hitting it slooooooooow, hard, and everything in between - and at the end of the day, all I'm getting is crunchy brown leftovers and no high at all.

I don't think the unit is defective - it gets almost uncomfortably hot to hold, as I've read it should - and I'm using Vector butane so it's quality stuff.

I really want to enjoy my vape and kick combustion for the health benefits, but unfortunately, if this is all I can get from it then I'm thinking it's not going to be a long-lasting relationship between Iolite and me. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could possibly be doing wrong?

Soul,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
If the Iolite is working properly as you think it is and you've tried all the methods above I'd say you're missing the other things come along with smoking. I'd also say that IMHO the Iolite might not be the best thing to get you to transition to vapor.

I bet you'd fall in love with a big hitter like the SSV/DB/EQ/ETC. For portability you could look into a cheap option like Vapor Genie which is many people's first vape. The Launch Box has a bit of learning curve but can get those higher temp goodies you're seeking. There are some other portables like the Supreme that use torches that others might recommend as well...I'm not personally familiar with them.

I wouldn't throw in the towel on vapor just yet. You might find you need a little bit more oomph and higher temps to get where you want to be. You also might then find a use for the Iollite after you transition...I get a clear heady high from it while the others are heavier hitters. Clear, heady high is good for some activities lol.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure others can give you some more ideas.

Lo,

AGBeer

Lost in Thought
Lo said:
I bet you'd fall in love with a big hitter like the SSV/DB/EQ/ETC. For portability you could look into a cheap option like Vapor Genie which is many people's first vape. The Launch Box has a bit of learning curve but can get those higher temp goodies you're seeking. There are some other portables like the Supreme that use torches that others might recommend as well...I'm not personally familiar with them.

This about sums it up IMO.

An iolite was my very first vaporizer as well, and It was difficult to kick combustion on that alone as the Io is a fixed temp and gives you one setting. While this ended up being suffice enough for me to get my vaping foot in the door, I can see where its not for everyone.

Get one of the harder hitters, but try to steer clear of the ones with a more difficult learning curve if you can afford it. Along with 'weaker hits' (from what you were describing) a steep learning curve to master can be a deterrent from combustion as well. I mean, lets face it - combustion is simple. Vaping takes a little more work, but the rewards are much more worth it IMO.

AGBeer,

greystr0ke

So you're not able to seen any vapor when you exhale? Are you using it outside in the cold? Did you remove the moisture condenser?

How are you hitting it? You should be taking nice and slow, long draws on it and not fast powerful ones.

greystr0ke,

Soul

Lo said:
If the Iolite is working properly as you think it is and you've tried all the methods above I'd say you're missing the other things come along with smoking. I'd also say that IMHO the Iolite might not be the best thing to get you to transition to vapor.

I wouldn't throw in the towel on vapor just yet. You might find you need a little bit more oomph and higher temps to get where you want to be. You also might then find a use for the Iollite after you transition...I get a clear heady high from it while the others are heavier hitters. Clear, heady high is good for some activities lol.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I'm sure others can give you some more ideas.

The stealthiness of the iolite was what made her choose it. The way my apartment is situated, when I stand on the porch about 30 other apartment windows face me.

AGBeer said:
Get one of the harder hitters, but try to steer clear of the ones with a more difficult learning curve if you can afford it. Along with 'weaker hits' (from what you were describing) a steep learning curve to master can be a deterrent from combustion as well. I mean, lets face it - combustion is simple. Vaping takes a little more work, but the rewards are much more worth it IMO.

See, that's why I want this to work. It smells and tastes better, and I have to imagine this is healthier than sucking down ash. And if it really conserves herb like people say, man, that'd be awesome!

greystr0ke said:
So you're not able to seen any vapor when you exhale? Are you using it outside in the cold? Did you remove the moisture condenser?
How are you hitting it? You should be taking nice and slow, long draws on it and not fast powerful ones.

I've used it outside in the cold and inside where it's warm. I couldn't see any vapor in either place. I did remove the moisture condenser, too.

As far as how hard I'm hitting it, I'm going as softly as I can. If I start a hit at the beginning of one cycle (when the wooooosh first starts) then that hit is usually finished at the end of the next cycle. Basically I try to make it not whistle at all, which I've noticed it does if you inhale too hard.

I can't help but feel like I'm doing something fundamentally wrong ("Ohh, you're not supposed to blow on it?") and just have no idea. Oh well, it still tastes great. I could eat this stuff now.

Soul,

greystr0ke

Hmmmm. It sounds like you're doing everything correctly so I'm almost stumped on this one.

If you take a draw from the unit and exhale towards a light do you see any vapor? How are you packing the herb? Are you packing it into the removable bowl or the heating chamber? Is your herb really sticky/wet?

greystr0ke,

Soul

Nope, not a wisp regardless of the lighting conditions. I'm not really "packing" the herb, just sort of pouring it in and letting it settle by itself. The first batch of herb I tried it with was very dry and crumbly. I just loaded it up once again, this time with some stickier stuff.

The stuff I'm using now is higher quality; I was hoping that'd cloud things up a little but nah, I guess that's not it.

Edit: Ohhhhh oh okay I take it back. The herb I had earlier this week was fairy weak stuff (I usually smoke once in the morning and once in the evening; with this stuff I was smoking 2-3 in the morning and another 2-3 in the evening just to get the same effect). My sister stopped by earlier and I picked up some high quality stuff from her; I'm definitely seeing the difference and falling in love with it now.

I still can't see any vapor and wish I could, but I am definitely enjoying myself more now.

Soul,

Nycdeisel

It sounds most likely that your unit is defective, I have heard of many people having issues with the Iolite so that is most likely the cause, if your sure its not defective, try a different TYPE of vaporizer, there are many different types, look at others, not every unit is for everyone.

Nycdeisel,

gettin lifted

psychonaut
my :2c:

The better quality weed, the more vapor you get and of better quality.

low/mid grade weed doesn't do much for me in a vape. Which may be why you don't see vapor on your exhales.

I however pretty much always have some good greens and i get visible vapor from every hit off my iolite. Half a bowl lasts a good 20 or so mins too.

I'd say try to get some super kill buds and give it a go. If that doesn't work then there is obviously a fault in your unit.

gettin lifted,
Top Bottom