"Friendlies"

ghostofcyberx13

And That Ain't No Joke, You Can Disappear In Smoke
OK so I see on ESPN bottom runner the USA will play Brazil and Mexico in "Friendlies" games. WTF? What kind of game is that? Do they even have scoring? I understand exhibition games, is that what this is? In the NFL they have exhibition games but they aren't that friendly, teams just try and hold back their "Cheap Shots" and they also don't play their stars till maybe the last game of the four exhibition games. Thanks.

ghostofcyberx13,
Reactions: GetLeft

Tranquility

It depends on context and is not always the same. Generally, a friendly is as you describe. A game of a team brought together for some purpose (Often a national term.) from players of individual clubs where the point of the bringing together is not that particular game itself. It tends to be more "friendly" as the players have a loyalty to their own underlying club that has a desire to keep their loaned out players healthy.

ghostofcyberx13

It depends on context and is not always the same. Generally, a friendly is as you describe. A game of a team brought together for some purpose (Often a national term.) from players of individual clubs where the point of the bringing together is not that particular game itself. It tends to be more "friendly" as the players have a loyalty to their own underlying club that has a desire to keep their loaned out players healthy.

Thanks a lot for enlightening me as to what these games are about. Kinda like a neighborhood game at the park just minus the beer.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
A friendly is any game that is not part of a competition or tournament. If national teams didn't play friendlies, they'd never get the practice that they need in order to prepare for the big tournaments. There are only a few tournaments for national teams, so they regularly schedule friendlies which are basically just practice games (the result doesn't really mean anything).

:peace:

ghostofcyberx13

A friendly is any game that is not part of a competition or tournament. If national teams didn't play friendlies, they'd never get the practice that they need in order to prepare for the big tournaments. There are only a few tournaments for national teams, so they regularly schedule friendlies which are basically just practice games (the result doesn't really mean anything).

:peace:

Thank you for your very informative answer, much appreciated.

ghostofcyberx13,
Reactions: Stu

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
even though these are friendlies don't expect the players to treat these as exhibition or practice games, and they won't be particularly friendly with the opposing teams. They didn't qualify for the word cup so they'll still be playing just as hard to win these matches as they would any other.

Just because these game aren't a part of league play they aren't always meaningless to those playing.

Last edited:

Tranquility

even though these are friendlies don't expect the players to treat these as exhibition or practice games, and they won't be particularly friendly with the opposing teams. They didn't qualify for the word cup so they'll still be playing just as hard to win these matches as they would any other.

Just because these game aren't a part of league play they aren't always meaningless to those playing.
There's all kinds of reasons to play hard. Doing well and getting that sweet, sweet, Nike cash is one of them. Personal pride might be another.

That doesn't mean the game has meaning.

My hardest issue when I coached was trying to get the players to pretend each game matters when, in reality, none of them do. While the money is bigger and the bragging rights more profound, I'm not certain a world cup final is any more meaningful than a U10 girl's 4 team tournament final between the Butterflies and the Lollipops.

Tranquility

isay-what-a-rather-robust-group-of-fellows-which-color-15153986.png

Top Bottom