• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Friend with Parkinson's, searching for a vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillyBop

Another noob here, lurking since last Septermber. Didn’t have anything meaningful to offer so I’ve sat in silence reading and learning from these forums.

Here’s the deal: I have a friend with advanced Parkinsons. At this stage, he has very little dexterity or muscle control, has great difficulty with speech and requires a live-in caregiver to manage his needs.

Talking to his wife, she confided in me that he now smokes weed to help relax his tense muscles and lift his moodiness (it’s common and understandable that he is angry and frustrated from his condition).

I started talking to her about the benefits of vapor over smoke (better for his lungs, little to no odor, makes his stash go further, etc). Yesterday I went to his house with a loaded DaVinci (of my limited collection, it’s the simplest to operate). After 5-6 puffs, his face lit up and he looked at me and said “Nirvana!”

We finished the load and he insisted on taking me to the other room to show off his guitar collection (he used to play and I’m a drummer so we often talk music). His mobility was somewhat improved which I suspect was from less muscle tension coupled with a good high).

The long and short of it all, he is now a convert to vaporizing. Being the only device he has tried, he says he wants a DaVinci, however I don’t think he can handle the cleaning and loading steps required.

What I’m now looking for is a simple to operate vaporizer (preferably portable) with minimum maintenance requirements, with a decent payload capacity and battery life (enough to last him a few hours unattended).

Once I figure out the best device for him, my wife and I decided to purchase it for him, along with all the other accessories he’ll need (grinders, brushes, extra screens, etc). His wife will handle the preparations for him before she leaves for work in the day (I don’t want to put his caregiver on the spot to handle any illegal substance).

If anyone has experience in this area I would welcome your comments and ideas. I did a forum search for “Parkinson” but there are few entries and most of them are a couple of years old so they don’t cover any newer vape models.

Thanks and have a cloudy day! ;)
BillyBop

BillyBop,

max

Out to lunch
What I’m now looking for is a simple to operate vaporizer (preferably portable) with minimum maintenance requirements, with a decent payload capacity and battery life (enough to last him a few hours unattended).
I can't tell what his capability is for loading/unloading, but a number of models should be about the same, ease wise. The DV only requires upending with maybe a tap or two on the bottom, and a 'brush off' on the bowl screen. If portability is a priority, the list of good options is a small one.

max,

BillyBop

Thanks Max. Yep, I though of the DaVinci from the start (that's why I used mine to introduce him to vaping). Unfortunately he has very little dexterity (he even had some difficulty turning it on) and based on my own experinece with that particular vape, it's not easy to clean the bottom screen in the chamber.

Still, the DaVinci is my fallback if I can't find him something easier to use and maintain, I'm just hoping someone may have experience with Parkinson's (or similar conditions) and has found a better solution.

So again, thank you Max and I'll put you down as one vote for the DV. :tup:

BillyBop,

max

Out to lunch
based on my own experinece with that particular vape, it's not easy to clean the bottom screen in the chamber.
The bottom screen, in my experience, doesn't need cleaning often. During use the herb gets sucked up off the bottom, and the top bowl screen gets sticky the most, by far. You could rig an 'upright' staionary brush and clean that screen by moving the unit over the brush instead of brushing the screen with the tiny supplied brush. The occasional bottom screen cleaning or removal can be done by his wife.

I'm not necessarily voting for the DV as the best option, just suggesting that it's similar to quite a few other portables in ease of use and issues for the handicapped. A portable may be a little counter productive for his ease of use, all things considered. IMO something like a DBV or SSV would be much easier to use for someone in his condition. The wand screen wouldn't get all that dirty and he may even be able to handle a pick for a little screen scraping. Loading and unloading with a whip wand should be easier than most any portable, and battery charge isn't an issue.

max,

RaoulDuke007

Based on what you've said so far, I might go with the Inhalater INH004. It seems to require minimal maintenance and is very easy to load. Your friend's wife could even load up multiple capsules as they were 'doses' for the week ahead. You just slide the capsule into the unit when ready, and pull it out when done. Battery life seems favorable and you can use it while charging if needed.

The unit itself seems to have mostly favorable reviews. Check out the thread in the Vaporizer discussion forum. Either way, you've done a wonderful thing introducing your friend to the joys of vapor. Be well!

BillyBop

I wasn't planning on getting him a "desktop" unit but maybe the DBV or SSV would be better (sturdier) so I'll have to read up on them. That''s why I love this place, one can find much info (and a few informed opinions) on everything vape.
And RaoulDuke007, I really like the idea of pre-loaded capsules. Will include the Inhalater in my Library Research.
Will probably have to buy myself whatever I get him so I can be his "technical support" ("vaporizer genius bar")?!!
Thanks guys.

BillyBop,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I think a Solo would be best here.

It only has two buttons and a bunch of leds, and except for the stems the unit itself doesn't need much if any cleaning. You can load it by simply sucking in a bit of grind herb using the stem as a straw, but it also takes whole nugs without a problem if this would ad to the ease of use. The battery will last about 7 to 8 stems if you take your time with them, which translates to over 1,5 hours of continuous use & with that I believe it's still the longest operating time from all the battery operated portables that are out right now.

The original stems that come with it are made of glass btw, which might not be such a good idea in this case. I'd recommend one of Ed's wooden stems instead.

edit: I just saw your post ^^

If you are considering a non-portable I would definitely go with a log-vape, possibly a Underdog. The DBV/SSV are indeed sturdy, but they also have some glass bits which are not.

Out of all the vapes I've used a log with the right stem is the easiest & quickest to use, they can be left on 24/7 so it's always ready when he wants to use it, easy to keep clean & low maintenance plus they are made out of wood, what more can a guitar lover want in a vape?

Seek

Apprentice Daydreamer
As a portable maybe a thermovape. It's indestructible. It's simple to load, power and hit. And as desktop I think a bag vape or a log vape could be best. Durable, simple to use and the least setup work. As a bag vape probably not EQ as its glass, but HA, or cano could be good. Log vape could be also great and will save herbs.

Seek,

max

Out to lunch
As a portable maybe a thermovape. It's indestructible. It's simple to load, power and hit. And as desktop I think a bag vape or a log vape could be best. Durable, simple to use and the least setup work. As a bag vape probably not EQ as its glass, but HA, or cano could be good. Log vape could be also great and will save herbs.
The Thermo is going to have the same battery time/swapping out issues as some other portables, and the bag and log designs could be problems with his dexterity issue, although as long as he can hold the log vape and stem, sucking up and blowing out the herb seems like an easy job for loading/unloading.

BillyBop, since you list a PD in your sig, have you thought of this type, or already ruled it out?

max,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
My first thought was like max's...an ssv instead of a portable. And the ssv is easy to use.

But a log vape was always my habit forming vape of choice. I suggest the HI or similar design...very lightweight.

Keep in mind almost every vape will have some potential to burn the user.

I would definitely want to hear from Vitolo on this before deciding...he has consulted many with physical challenges on vapes.

max

Out to lunch
stickstones said:
I would definitely want to hear from Vitolo on this before deciding
I agree completely. Didn't even think of Vito but he'd surely be the expert here on the right model. He's got experience with many different models, as far as the best choice for med patients.

max,

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
I mentioned the UD because it's available straight away, but if you don't mind wait the HI is also a very nice little log. There might be something to be said for the unbreakable silicon UD stems in this instance though, although Alan probably could supply those too.

But yeah, we really need Vito here on this one.

OhTheAgony,

BillyBop

My second vape was one of the last PDs that Tom made before retiring. I gave it to my son to start moving him away from combustion about four months ago. I thought about asking for it back but my son doesn't think my friend can manage placing the stem into the PD, and besides, it seems my kid is now a vapist and doesn't want to loose his only means of vaping.

So for my purpose with this search, a vape's "ease of use" means it needs to accomidate a user with minimum eye-hand coordination and limited flexibilty with hand, thumb and forfinger, etc. I'm looking for something that can be set up in advance for him to simply turn on, draw vape until affected, turn off, and then repeat until payload is exhausted.

I forgot to mention that my friends spend weekends at their country house so If he can take it along easily, that's a big plus.

As I read up on the models suggested here, that's the criteria I'm looking for.

It sounds like Vito may be a good source so I hope he weighs in at some point.

BB

BillyBop,

Vitolo

Vaporist
I can see where two vapes might both be great....
One is solid state, the other portable ..(but hits like solid state)
Please humor me as I speak of spasticity and frustration.
Your preferences and suggestions are all good, and I see the logic...
A person with an unstable (fluctuating) physical challenge, gets stuck at times....
.... well.. in or around the toilet. When the symptoms arise that hinder any person (tremor, shakes, muscle spasm), a disabled person will start thinking of the shortest path to the john to be close by to ride out the rest of the seizure/attack/wave....
a portable would be nice.
A log vapes stem requires occasional insertion of stir tool, pick, or skewer.. although maybe wood, but clogs, and small screens pose obstacle for one with manual dexterity that is strained... as well as the accompanying visual tremors that coincide!

My vote for easy to control is twofold (if he can afford 2 vapes)
1- an SSV... but it must be standard, and a handheld wand.
It is easy to hang onto the wand with your two hands... and even with tremors, I can handle it with a couple of feet between my L & R hands.
When you use hand held, you become one with the wand/whip, and the mouthpiece is in left and the wand is in right.... you approach the Heater cover.... I find I can time my sways to a rythm.... and finally I land against the HC smoothly for a hit. If I am unstable, I lean back... both left and right hand moving back with me, to saftey
2-The Solo, used with a GonG stem... it is short and sturdy, and can stand up to abuse that a regular solo stem cant!
3- The next suggestion is an unusual one, for the vape is not popular, but does have an application here. The Vapir One 5.0 It can handle both jobs and is easy to manipulate
Have a number of preloaded baskets on hand!.... Use with whip, or fill a bag.
It straps to users hand, and is used one handed... and requires an outlet, but is light weight... (and can send you to next room with a bagfull if need be.
Those are my recommendations..
Now I assure you, I am not trying to gain a "cult following" by giving this link, and have left it off my signature, but welcome you to view "VTV" (Vapor Trail Youtube)
You will see vids of me using a number of vapes from a wheelchair... as well as in some of my "less than well" (nauseated, and shaky) moments. These are actually golden moments, because when they are done, and I am medicated ... in spite of the challenge.. it makes the mountain I just climbed to get to see the "Guru" (medicated state) insignificant!
I want to thank you... you loyal "Billybop" of a dude.
You are trying to help a friend that has not the "reach" that you do... and surely your life will blessed for this.

Vitolo

Vaporist
It is very restrictive... an accident waiting to happen.
Even GonG requires manipulation and a twist and subtle release.
Let an unstable hand stay on it's tool once it is there... and not add twists turns, and reasons to remain leaning forward and not sit too far back!

max

Out to lunch
Vitolo said:
Let an unstable hand stay on it's tool once it is there
I found a table beside my 'vaping chair' was a perfect position for my SSV. All I had to do was plant my elbow on the arm rest and swivel it from heater cover to mouth. Didn't even need my fingers. The opposable thumb came in handy though.

max,
Reactions: Vitolo

weedemon

enthusiast
I think a solo with a wood mouthpiece (safety first!) would be best for your friend.

the pax is pretty simple, but I think the loading and getting the door off would be too tricky maybe.

solo is so simple and you can plug it in with an adapter to use it at home if the battery is dead, or you wanna save the bat for when you go out later.

weedemon,

BillyBop

Thanks FCers for some really thoughtful ideas. I've read up on the models suggested and based on input from Weedemon, OhTheAgony and Vitolo (love the vids!) the Solo became a prime contender.

So yesterday I looked at Puffitup.com and found their $69 discouint code for the latest Solo so I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

Unfortunateluy, Puffitup was out of stiock on the wooden stems and I can't see my friend safely using a glass one, so if anyone can suggest another source for wooden (or non-glass) stems for the Solo I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW- I do have a number of spare stems for the PD. Would these work with the solo?

BillyBop,

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Thanks FCers for some really thoughtful ideas. I've read up on the models suggested and based on input from Weedemon, OhTheAgony and Vitolo (love the vids!) the Solo became a prime contender.

So yesterday I looked at Puffitup.com and found their $69 discouint code for the latest Solo so I pulled the trigger and ordered it.

Unfortunateluy, Puffitup was out of stiock on the wooden stems and I can't see my friend safely using a glass one, so if anyone can suggest another source for wooden (or non-glass) stems for the Solo I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW- I do have a number of spare stems for the PD. Would these work with the solo?

It looks like Ed's TNT has some solo stems. He only has one in stock.
http://shop.edstnt.com/Eds-TnT-Gran...apor-Stem-Eds-Wooden-Solo-Stem-Granadillo.htm

I'm not sure about the PD and the Solo stem as I don't have a Solo/PD myself

newVaper420,

Vitolo

Vaporist
The PD stems will not work.
I say go to "Ed's".... he has wooden stems in stock.
or... try the 14 mm GonG stem that I used in my solo video. It is not easily breakable.
I have spasticity, and shake.. I use the GonG stem daily, and have dropped it very close to 100 times... and it is still fine!

Vitolo,

StickyShisha2

my friend with parkinsons uses a bag vape (starts with a V and isn't well likes here for its price)
someone usually helps by loading a few herb chambers for the week. the rest he manages on his own.

StickyShisha2,
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom