Forced air versus pulled air

Aimless Ryan

Came to read about grinders; fucked combustion
Anyone with an Herbalizer is probably aware that its whip option is much better with fan-assist (forced air) than without it (pulled air). I've been doing some experimenting lately that has revealed to me another example of what seems to be the same thing expressed a little differently.

When I heat the middle of an 8" glass tube, air I blow out onto my skin from one end (forced air/fan-assist) is much hotter than air pulled into my mouth at the other end, regardless of whether I blow or pull fast or slow.

Is anyone familiar with this phenomenon or know what it may be called?

Aimless Ryan,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
heat exchange ? IMO when you are blowing with your lungs,you are getting bigger amount of air in contact with the heater + you start with a strong blow when your lungs are full,which gets you a big temp drop to begin with ,compared to fan assisted airflow which is almost monotonous at times.
Also in the case with the tube ,the air traveling slower gives it more time to exchange heat with the heater when your are drawing compared to when you are blowing.

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

natural farmer

Don't have a Herbalizer but I have recently tried a Volcano with a whip and let me tell you it's much much tastier with the fun on than pulling with lungs!!!
I have also noticed that the vapor a Vapor Lung can pull from a vape (Solo,Vapcap etc) is also much tastier than the one I can pull with my lungs or mouth.... :drool:
Better airflow most possibly. :\

natural farmer,

Used2use

Sometimes to stupid to become a fool
When I heat the middle of an 8" glass tube, air I blow out onto my skin from one end (forced air/fan-assist) is much hotter than air pulled into my mouth at the other end, regardless of whether I blow or pull fast or slow.
Have u measured that?
A starting difference is, that the sucked in air has room temperature, and the exhaled air is pre-heated by the lungs in that case, humidity is also changed...

Used2use,

Aimless Ryan

No. I don't know if I'd be able to. But the temperature difference between pulled air in the mouth and blown air on the hand (both through the hot tube) is pretty extreme. The temperature of my breath is essentially the same as room temperature, so I wouldn't expect that to play a role. It may have something to do with breath humidity, but even if it does, I don't think that comes close to explaining everything.

Maybe I can figure out a way to attach the glass tube to my Volcano filling chamber (solid valve) and run the fan through the tube without any heat. If so, and if it blows hot air, the phenomenon I think I've experienced isn't related to humidity.

I'll try that if I can think of a good way to attach the glass tube to the filling chamber. (Press and seal wrap maybe?)

Aimless Ryan,

Abysmal Vapor

Supersniffer 2000 - robot fart detection device
Well first of all same temp would feel hotter in your mouth than on your hand's skin,cause in your mouth there are more sense receptors,which is logical cause tissues there are far more gentle and easily damaged...,so i think this is the main reason for the air feeling different on both areas.
Other than that, distance from the heater/heated area , temp drop from the increased blow rate in the begging vs the steadiness of airflow during inhalation, and also air inhaled is just air ,while air exhaled is mainly CO2,which i think has different specs than environmental air and might be a better coolant.
All that being said ,i think it would be best if you could measure the temps for real with some probe or thermistor other than trying to feel which is hotter with two totally different areas of your body. For example the hair driers stream feels way hotter on my tongue than on my hand ,lol,same goes with liquids too..

Last edited:
Abysmal Vapor,

Aimless Ryan

Well first of all same temp would feel hotter in your mouth than on your hand's.

Air from the tube feels much hotter on my hand (blown) than it does in my mouth (pulled). Anyone with a glass stem can do the exact same thing I've done. Also, due to MS, I don't have much feeling in my hands.

I did what I mentioned doing earlier with the Volcano. Worked splendidly. As expected, with the heater cold, it blew hot air out of the tube.

Aimless Ryan,
Top Bottom