Pen Focus Vaporizer

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
this vape is made from really quality materials. i guess Storm has more plastic and rubber in its design.

Hm nope Storm/X-Max2 is all aluminium excepted a plastic piece making the junction with the mouthpiece above the bowl. There's silicone in the old style mouthpiece and I imagine also a bit in the glass ones.

There might be some plastic inside around the heater but I'm not sure at all and it shouldn't be exposed to the air path.

JoeS

@Vaperist thanks for your reply man!
i'll be ordering a focus next week, quite happy about this decision.
i think i'll include a resin cartridge and a case as well... :)

@BuzzDanklin great pics, thanks! when you have tested the focus enough, i would be super interested to know how do you compare it with the Alfa (which is currently my main daily driver), especially tastewise. i think Alfa tastes really good, it surprised me that someone here said focus tastes even better! :)

Last edited:
JoeS,

mulciber

I just ordered one from PIU, but I was wondering where people recommend for accessories, such as extra screens.

Thanks!

mulciber,

Vaperist

@Vaperist thanks for your reply man!
i'll be ordering a focus next week, quite happy about this decision.
i think i'll include a resin cartridge and a case as well... :)

resin cartridge i don't have. please let us know how it went with that! i bet it will be all good. Focus can give a high temperature and can keep up with any speed and any length of the draw.

i'm still surprised how this thing is not a main stream product. :hmm: it is not like it is out from few weeks ago. this performance for that money should me more popular., IMO. well, reliability also is a major factor to be tested jet. and when i test new vape i do it until she explodes. :sherlock::goon::cuss::evil::zombie::borg::rip::peace:

His_Highness

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king
Has been used as the daily driver for two of us for about a week. We are not cutting it any slack. I've done detail trials for the heat up, battery life, ran it through my bubbler, tried a mod that worked well for the Xmax, etc. I've finally got all the tests completed. I promised @stickstones a detail review and comparison to the Xmax V2 Pro.....write up is just about done.

For those looking for a quick comparison....It's like that car that's advertised for $14,999.00. When you get to the car dealer they show you the $14,999 car and then the luxury package for the car. The Xmax is the base package and the Focus is the luxury package...leather seats, better motor and of course...the power package.

JoeS

@Vaperist, thanks again man! i will let you know how it goes with it... good thing these days i'm making some really nice oil :D

thanks @His_Highness, this is more than enough to be 100% sure i make the right choice with the focus! but i still can't wait for your detailed review ;)

Vaperist

i been vaping on Sweet Skunk for a while now. and kief buildup was enough in my grinder to press together some kief-hash.

was testing to use pressed kief in Focusvape by little chunks straight in da oven. and sandwiching between a herb as well. both ways- very satisfying results! this vape can give a lot of heat as needed for a concentrate vaping. OMG. that intense, Skunky awesomeness taste so good. :leaf: and a great effects as well. autoflowering strains come over 20% of THC these days. i guess i will have to order a few seeds of those modern plants. to crossbreed with my finest autoflower strains i cultivate for years now.

Last edited:

jdent3

I've been thinking of buying the focus vape it looks awesome. To anyone who has one- How hard is it to get the chamber clean? Do you think it could get dirty deep inside where it's hard to cleab like the flowermate to where it impacts performance? I also noticed on the site I was going to order from that it didn't list the water pipe adapter. Did yours come with one or is it a separate accessory you have to buy?

jdent3,

Vaperist

I've been thinking of buying the focus vape it looks awesome. To anyone who has one- How hard is it to get the chamber clean? Do you think it could get dirty deep inside where it's hard to cleab like the flowermate to where it impacts performance? I also noticed on the site I was going to order from that it didn't list the water pipe adapter. Did yours come with one or is it a separate accessory you have to buy?

no worries about deep cleaning with this vape. only thing you have to clean (give some ISO bath) is a mouthpiece. chamber is staying clean after almost two weeks of hard core using. i bet the same will be reported after two months of using.

great vape! powerful onehitter.

Vaperist,

jdent3

no worries about deep cleaning with this vape. only thing you have to clean (give some ISO bath) is a mouthpiece. chamber is staying clean after almost two weeks of hard core using. i bet the same will be reported after two months of using.

great vape! powerful onehitter.

So nothing gets built up under the heating chamber?

jdent3,

druuna

Picked up a focus as my first vape from PIU, charged battery overnight and ran 3-4 burn offs. Now the unit wont power on, it only flashes yellow 8 times when the battery is re-inserted. Any ideas?

druuna,

His_Highness

Picked up a focus as my first vape from PIU, charged battery overnight and ran 3-4 burn offs. Now the unit wont power on, it only flashes yellow 8 times when the battery is re-inserted. Any ideas?

The only thing I could suggest would be charging the battery again to full power. This will tell you whether the battery is the issue if it acts erratically in the external charger. Assuming you got the same LGDBHE21865 battery I got with the unit it's not likely to be the battery. The good news is you bought from PIU so the customer service, if needed, will be amazing.

His_Highness,

His_Highness

IMO cigar pens of this type will get some reclaim build up at the bottom of the oven over time.... on the bottom screen and intake holes. I'm basing this on many months of Xmax use and the oven similarities with the Focus. The screen in the bottom of the oven is no big deal. Since the oven cannot be removed the intake holes at the bottom of the oven will be more difficult to clean IF you don't keep up with the cleaning.

As far as I know the only method for cleaning the bottom intake holes in the oven is to remove and clean the bottom screen and then, with the unit pointing downward, (Mouthpiece pointing downward), wet a Qtip or something similar, with just enough ISO to dampen the Qtip but not enough to allow dripping. Gently clean the intake holes at the bottom of the oven with the Qtip. Use a second 'dry' Qtip to wipe up and dry the ISO/reclaim. Don't allow the unit to go right side up till the bottom of the oven is dry to make sure no ISO gets pushed into the intake holes. As a last step - with the unit still upside down - take several hard draws to suck out any moisture and clean one more time with a dry Qtip. Wait 10 to 20 minutes and do a low level burn off. This is the extreme method I use when I didn't keep up with the cleaning.

The trick is not to allow the build up to get to heavy and to do upside down, high heat burn-offs occasionally.... heating to high, waiting a few minutes and then drawing hard with the unit upside down. I clean the bottom this way as soon as I see the bottom screen start to build up reclaim so I don't have to work the intake holes too hard.

Last edited:

Vaperist

IMO cigar pens of this type will get some reclaim build up at the bottom of the oven over time.... on the bottom screen and intake holes. I'm basing this on many months of Xmax use and the oven similarities with the Focus. The screen in the bottom of the oven is no big deal. Since the oven cannot be removed the intake holes at the bottom of the oven will be more difficult to clean IF you don't keep up with the cleaning.

As far as I know the only method for cleaning the bottom intake holes in the oven is to remove and clean the bottom screen and then, with the unit pointing downward, (Mouthpiece pointing downward), wet a Qtip or something similar, with just enough ISO to dampen the Qtip but not enough to allow dripping. Gently clean the intake holes at the bottom of the oven with the Qtip. Use a second 'dry' Qtip to wipe up and dry the ISO/reclaim. Don't allow the unit to go right side up till the bottom of the oven is dry to make sure no ISO gets pushed into the intake holes. As a last step - with the unit still upside down - take several hard draws to suck out any moisture and clean one more time with a dry Qtip. Wait 10 to 20 minutes and do a low level burn off. This is the extreme method I use when I didn't keep up with the cleaning.

The trick is not to allow the build up to get to heavy and to do upside down, high heat burn-offs occasionally. I clean the bottom this way as soon as I see the bottom screen start to build up reclaim so I don't have to work the intake holes too hard.

or,.... you can heat up that chamber and blow slowly in that mouthpiece. hot air will come out of air intake holes. should vaporize all residue easily. same goes for chamber and screen. the thing should clean itself if vaping at highest temperature. it does for me. i usually use highest temperature. and dee only reclaim are generating in da mouthpiece.

Lahey

Cruisin'
I'm now using a steel pipe screen folded into the bottom of the mouthpiece instead of the stock screen assembly. It doesn't gunk up as fast, and can be cheaply and easily replaced. Airflow is also improved.

PEVRyit.jpg

mulciber

Have I missed any comment about the small ceramic cylinder inside the mouthpiece beneath the screen? Is it for filtration or airflow? And can it be cleaned by dropping it into isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks.

Lahey

Cruisin'
@mulciber

I found that piece odd too. I'm not sure what their thinking was on that. They over complicated it in my opinion - using 3 pieces to achieve what can be accomplished with one. I'm really liking using just a pipe screen so far. It doesn't seem like the ceramic was doing anything other than holding the other screen in place and adding unnecessary drag.

Iso. wash for ceramic is ok afaik

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I think this sort of ceramic parts could help for smoother hits....I removed it on mine for easier cleaning.

Focus is rather nice but I prefer others on the go options I have due to its larger size and weight....although if I haven't all this choice I would be pretty satisfied with it for outside/car/public sessions!

Did you noticed the vapor production is different with this unit, I would call it "non-linear"...let me to explain: I start at lower temp and got a huge first hit and others are smaller and smaller until I bump the temperature up, the same for each setting, one huge hit and decrease(it works like that if you start at higher t° too). I always got a thick first hit, even at low t° and considering the short heating time we can say the heater kick hard!

Storm/X-Max, Inhalaters and several others conduction based vapes are more linear, first hits are light but quickly thickers and vapor production is the same all around the session until goodies are done.

I hope you understand what I say, it's not really worst or better, maybe this is why the Focus shines with water filtration and the reason I dislike it for sipping.

Vaperist

Did you noticed the vapor production is different with this unit, I would call it "non-linear"...

i'm calling it a "one hit wonder". this interesting feature is unique and i love it about FocusVape.
this is how i use this device most of the time. i pack it half full, then i heat it up to dee max temperature, waiting half a minute for this bad boy to conduct all goodies out of da load and then i inhale it all in one big long draw. feels like a smoking!

i still use Arizer Solo for a sessions. this one is awesome for a huge bong hits.

mulciber

Thanks for the replies. I have another question, this being my first day with the Focus. Thus far the charger light has remained red despite charging the battery for likely 8 hours. Yet the battery appears to have charged, as indicated by the device's white light. Shall I assume the charger's malfunctioning, or is it possible that a first charge would take more than 8 hours?

Thanks!

mulciber,

Vaperist

Thanks for the replies. I have another question, this being my first day with the Focus. Thus far the charger light has remained red despite charging the battery for likely 8 hours. Yet the battery appears to have charged, as indicated by the device's white light. Shall I assume the charger's malfunctioning, or is it possible that a first charge would take more than 8 hours?

Thanks!

buy some decent charger like a Nitecore or Xtar. why? because those show on electronic display the charge level for every battery you put in for charging. and they cut off charging when battery is full. so i left charging my battery overnight. don't know how long it took to be fully charged. :hmm:

Last edited:

druuna

I had the same issue, it took two overnight charges for mine to show green.

druuna,

mulciber

I had the same issue, it took two overnight charges for mine to show green.

Thanks! After a long while I simply re-seated the battery in the charger and it went green. Clearly, a better-quality charger would be preferable, but the current one seems to be working.

The device itself is incredible. If the performance continues to be as good as it is now, the Focus is a real discovery.

His_Highness

@Lahey - I kinda applied the same screen approach. I removed the mouthpiece screen and white 'cermaic?' internal piece and used a tiny screen that fit perfectly in the oven. This increased air-flow and gave me a way to fill the oven 1/3rd of the way and keep the herb lightly packed for optimal heat soaking. I used the same approach on the Xmax.

@mulciber - I'm curious about the small white ceramic (Not sure if it is ceramic) cylinder as well. My guess is that:
- The screen and opening were small so the mesh on the screen couldn't be smaller or it would restrict flow too much.
- With the screen having slightly wider holes/mesh the cylinder was there to keep smaller particles and reclaim from going into the glass mouthpiece or your mouth.
- The cylinder also acts like a diffuser to smooth out the harshness/heat.

Did you noticed the vapor production is different with this unit, I would call it "non-linear"...let me to explain: I start at lower temp and got a huge first hit and others are smaller and smaller until I bump the temperature up, the same for each setting, one huge hit and decrease(it works like that if you start at higher t° too). I always got a thick first hit, even at low t° and considering the short heating time we can say the heater kick hard!

I'm mentioning some of this in my detailed review....I promise to post it up by tomorrow.....

I noticed the same thing about vapor production. I feel like the quick heat time versus ready to draw time can be a little deceiving on the Focus.
- The Xmax takes 100 seconds to reach oven temp on high. At the 100 second mark it is ready to produce because ..... it has been heat soaking the herb over a minute and 40 seconds while the oven reaches temp. In addition the Xmax air intakes are adjacent to the oven so some of the air will come in contact with the oven heat on the way in.
- The Focus reaches temp in a rapid 20-30 seconds but IMO requires another 15 seconds or so to finish a proper heat soak of the herb. The Focus air intake is under the oven and will not absorb as much oven heat on the way in as the Xmax. I'm not sure but the Focus intake holes coming into the bottom of the oven may also allow more air intake but not by much.
Conclusion: With the Xmax I get a steady vapor flow but the beginning of the hit is not as milky as the Focus. I enjoy using the Focus more like a cigarette in that the first mouth only puff is beautiful but diminishes the longer I draw. When I use the Focus with someone I've noticed that I get a much better hit if I wait 10 seconds or so after the last person has taken a hit before taking mine. I also noticed how easy it is to overload the Focus oven with my bubbler. IMO - with these types of cigar pen vaporizers moderating/slowing the draw to optimize the oven heat is the way to go if you want a long draw. Fortunately the Focus seems to have been engineered to optimize the form factor by allowing the intake to be slowed via the adjustable band around the air intake.

@druuna - @mulciber: I charge the batteries in a Nitecore Intellicharger I2 and they are taking around 3 to 4 hours to complete a charge for what that's worth.

Is your unit working ok now?

EDIT: Forgot to add the disclaimer....the difference in herb (dry or moist, difference in cure, etc.) along with personal differences in use can also change how a unit reacts when testing/used. Your mileage will vary.

Last edited:

Vaperist

i wish i could debate about that mouthpiece ceramic cylinder thing. and replacing it with a screen. but i can't. because i fire up FocusVape for milking up my bongs using that metal joint connector. have used original mouthpiece three times only :\

ArizerSolo for sessions, FocusVape for a bong hits! :rockon::tup:

and better the GrassHopper can come near to Focus power when i get it. cause at the moment that Korean wonder is kicking every ass in my vape collection. no other machine can give a cloud like that so fast. that is why i'm saying that Hopper got some highly powerful competitor.

@mulciber
IMO, FocusVape is dee most underrated vape out there in market. this thing should be main stream because of its price/performance calibration. it is like a VW Golf GTi. it doesn't look like something special, until you ride it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom